• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Tak3n

Banned
on the Russian section
where the boss cracks that guys eyes, and he is laying there, I killed him with a arrow and got stealth kill, is that the devs being ironic as he is blind or just not realising to change it to say a mercy kill?

suaveric

I got a card pack for preordering and unopened it in the game but I have no idea where to "use" the cards. I'm just at the first campsite. I was able to find and equip the outfit that came from the preorder. The game does a poor job of explaining this stuff.

You know, we're not even gonna get proper sales numbers for ROTR until like 2017. So if they're gonna do a follow-up, will CD not get a greenlight until then? It's unlikely they'll do it just with one platform's sale.

Jumeira

Banned
I am enjoying this game ten fold more than Fallout 4. I appreciate all of the polish and attention to so many little details. It's also fun as hell.

I was going to post a screenshot to show off the little details, I mean even the snow trails have thier own system, the storm slowly covers you tracks but the faint imprints can still be seen. I didn't expect this from CD, theyre reaching ND/Remedy/Rocksteady status imo

ironcreed

Banned
I was going to post a screenshot to show off the little details, I mean even the snow trails have thier own system, the storm slowly covers you tracks but the faint imprints can still be seen. I didn't expect this from CD, theyre reaching ND/Remedy/Rocksteady status imo

It's funny you mention that, because the other night I was playing and said to myself, "CD is another Naughty Dog." No doubt about it, they are that damn good. I would argue they are even better when it comes to level design and even with all of Lara's little animations and expressions.

I've only played the first 30-45 minutes or so but I'm already reminded why I loved the first game so much. It was a sleeper to me but quickly became one of my favorite games ever. I love the cinematic nature of it.

ironcreed

Banned
I've only played the first 30-45 minutes or so but I'm already reminded why I loved the first game so much. It was a sleeper to me but quickly became one of my favorite games ever. I love the cinematic nature of it.

Just wait until you hit a proper tomb, which will be about the second one or so you come across.

97234-james-franco-so-good-gif-Imgur-jKyk.gif

Jumeira

Banned
It's funny you mention that, because the other night I was playing and said to myself, "CD is another Naughty Dog." No doubt about it, they are that damn good. I would argue they are even better when it comes to level design and even with all of Lara's little animations and expressions.

Wow, high praise, I'm looking forward to finding out !

Honestly, this is easily one of the most graphically and artistically impressive games ever made.

Its s a grandiose statement yeah, but quite frankly its true. I just reached the Geothermal Valley, and the sequence you do to reach it is astounding.

Spoilers for the sequence:
From the linear run bit at the start to the awesome fight out in the exploding columns, to the arena lit by the flares. I cannot think of a better looking or even feeling sequence in a game of this style.

This feels cinematic in a way which I adore, because the slight film grain and the choreography and rhythm of the action and combat scenes make it feel like a film in the best possible way!

It's a question worth asking, I think
It will probably have been greenlit already or in the pitch process. Doubt they're going to sit on this engine and tech, twiddling their thumbs for a year.

I imagine SE is a litte pissed about how the whole thing went down in hindsight but I doubt they'll not continue the franchise. I expect Dawn of the Tomb Raider to be multiplat at launch as well.

You know, we're not even gonna get proper sales numbers for ROTR until like 2017. So if they're gonna do a follow-up, will CD not get a greenlight until then? It's unlikely they'll do it just with one platform's sale.

There will be a sequel regardless. Unless sales are completely abysmal across all platforms, but even in that event they'd probably just spend a few years reinventing the brand again.

Dominator

I like this game a lot, and it looks absolutely amazing, but it's not hitting the wow factor of the first for me. I really loved that game, and while this is still very good and the tombs are awesome (of the ones I've seen), it's not on the same level.

Still, I'm enjoying my time with it. Great game.

Minor complaint about the story. Somewhat early spoilers:

Did anyone else felt like the Ana reveal didn't have any emotional weight?

Would've been better if they had a more familiar face turning against us. Also, the moment I saw her on the chair I knew where this was going, there weren't any hints before that Trinity was targetting Lara's closed ones

jackdoe

Is anyone buying the season pass? As it's $30, I figure it would be cheaper to double dip on the PC version during a Steam sale than to buy the season pass for the Xbox One (unless Square-Enix is brave/stupid enough to charge full price for the game and not include the season pass content with the PC/PS4 releases).

Toki767

Is anyone buying the season pass? As it's $30, I figure it would be cheaper to double dip on the PC version during a Steam sale than to buy the season pass for the Xbox One (unless Square-Enix is brave/stupid enough to charge full price for the game and not include the season pass content with the PC/PS4 releases).

I don't usually buy a season pass, and since the season pass for this game is meant more for replaying purposes, it seems kind of skippable to be honest. The game is really fun, but like the first game, it seems more like a one and done type game. Assuming you get all the tombs done on the first try at least.

malfcn

There are alot of cool little details.
The movement of her eyes and face produce a realism.
Last night I got the shotgun. While aiming I was near a doorway. Lara shifted her stance and angle on the shotgun to maintain the aim. It wasn't quite a cover snap animation, and would go back to normal aim when away from the wall.

TheDanger

Banned
IMPORTANT

there is a game breaking bug near the end, make sure you always have pistol ammo as there is a scripted section that requires you to shoot an enemy, if you are out of ammo you cannot shoot the enemy which results in death. There is no way to get any pistol ammo at this point. I need to wait for a patch to finish the game I'm pretty pisssed.

Toa TAK

Banned
IMPORTANT

there is a game breaking bug near the end, make sure you always have pistol ammo as there is a scripted section that requires you to shoot an enemy, if you are out of ammo you cannot shoot the enemy which results in death. There is no way to get any pistol ammo at this point. I need to wait for a patch to finish the game I'm pretty pisssed.
Thanks for this.

sam777

It's up there with The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne for my GOTY as well. I can never pick just one.

Same, at the start of the year I would have thought MGS V would be my GOTY, but for me it is probably this or Witcher 3 wth Bloodborne and Halo slightly behind.

How do I get other outfits/costumes?

Bliddo

The game is absolutely gorgeous, but good God the aiming is bad. There's a massive delay with the right stick movement, I really hope they fix this soon.

Drewfonse

This game definitely nails the atmosphere of being in a cold, blustery forest in the winter. The lighting, the sounds, the particle effects.

Well done.

Pachinko

They aren't done building content for this game yet , I imagine a few bits of DLC , maybe an extra episode (single player side story or something) and beyond that you've got a forthcoming PC port followed by a PS4 port. None of this stuff will happen on its own so CD probably won't even be ready to make a new Tomb Raider until the middle of next year anyway.

Tomeru

The game is absolutely gorgeous, but good God the aiming is bad. There's a massive delay with the right stick movement, I really hope they fix this soon.

This is absolutly astonishing to me. Its one of my most anticipated games, but it has made somep parts of the game so lousy for me. I'm down right pissed.

Sydle

For sure. I'm loving every bit of it and plan to 100% it.

ironcreed

Banned
Same, at the start of the year I would have thought MGS V would be my GOTY, but for me it is probably this or Witcher 3 wth Bloodborne and Halo slightly behind.

How do I get other outfits/costumes?

I got one as a gift for pre-ordering. The rest you get from discovery and even card packs. I have like 3 or 4 to choose from right now.

Unity2012

This game is absolutely incredible. Witcher 3 to me is the best game ever made and is my default GOTY for 2015, but outside of that ROTR is easily the GOTY for me. It has completely blown me away in my 6 or so hours with it so far.

I think Lara is the most detailed character I've ever seen in a video game to this point. Take a look at her face next time you are in a Tomb or some wondrous place. She is looking at things and making faces of awe and stuff. Absolutely incredible. Add to that all of her facial animations, wringing out her hair when its wet, shivering and clattering teeth when its cold, and of course the insanely realistic hair. Incredible stuff.

If the gunplay was a bit better, this game would be in legendary status. Maybe that will be fixed on PC with 60fps. I will most certainly double dip on this game, can't imagine it looking EVEN BETTER on PC.

Honestly, this is easily one of the most graphically and artistically impressive games ever made.

Its s a grandiose statement yeah, but quite frankly its true. I just reached the Geothermal Valley, and the sequence you do to reach it is astounding.

This feels cinematic in a way which I adore, because the slight film grain and the choreography and rhythm of the action and combat scenes make it feel like a film in the best possible way!

It's up there with The Witcher 3 and Bloodborne for my GOTY as well. I can never pick just one.

I am really impressed with the game as well. It feels familiar to the last and yet way more polished. The views are spectacular and the amount of details and things to do, crazy good. Some of my initial complaints where aiming but later on I upgraded my weapons enough to stabilize and focus my aim better; no perfect but better.
Rise of the Tomb Raider and, without a doubt Witcher 3 are definitely my GOTY contenders.

Lima

I love that people already have the name for the next Tomb Raider in their minds in this thread.

On this page I've read Revenge of the Tomb Raider and Dawn of the Tomb Raider lol.

Lima

The past four relics I've picked up haven't vibrated at all whilst I've rotated them around. Is this a glitch of some kind?

Batteries low? Controller disables vibration in that case.

Btw score attack mode is damn fun. The tombs are pretty straight forward and you just have to remember the puzzle and then execute while collecting stuff and shooting the lamps.

The open levels you really have to plan you route and then do it pretty much flawlessly if you want the big points.

Top Bottom