• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Rocketz

This thread made me go out and buy the game today. Curse you GAF.

I enjoyed the reboot so I'm really looking forward to this. I just couldn't wait anymore after reading the posts in here.

TheDanger

Banned
just got done with the main story, I watched all the credits and got another cutscene, not sure if you also see it when you skip the credits.

Yeah the game is fucking awesome, really enjoyed it, but did anyone else think that the shooting felt better in the first game?

The Argus

This game is seriously amazing. It just keeps surprising me. I can see why Microsoft wanted to hold on to this one while Uncharted 4 was supposed to drop.

ironcreed

Banned
This game is seriously amazing. It just keeps surprising me. I can see why Microsoft wanted to hold on to this one while Uncharted 4 was supposed to drop.

On the bright side for PS4 only owners, they will get Uncharted 4 in the Spring and this bad boy in the Fall. It's a win/win in the end for them. But I am still glad I did not have to wait.

I love that people already have the name for the next Tomb Raider in their minds in this thread.

On this page I've read Revenge of the Tomb Raider and Dawn of the Tomb Raider lol.

lol. I was thinking up titles for the next one too. Came up with Season of the Tomb Raider and War of the Tomb Raider, lol.

I am really glad I played this game. I found it fantastic and quite stunning. My only complaint from a visual standpoint is characters don't breathe. There was one cut-scene where Lara is audibly gasping for breath but her body doesn't show it. After that I noticed none of the characters in cut-scenes breathe. I found it disconcerting and now cannot un-see it.

malfcn

Dodging bears is tough. Either it doesn't give timed attack, regularly dodges or gets hit.

Experimenting also punished me. Lost a bunch of arrows that don't come back after reloads.

Yoday

It's funny you mention that, because the other night I was playing and said to myself, "CD is another Naughty Dog." No doubt about it, they are that damn good. I would argue they are even better when it comes to level design and even with all of Lara's little animations and expressions.
CD has been a top tier developer since Soul Reaver IMO, and I would easily put them on the same level as Naughty Dog.

TheYanger

Dodging bears is tough. Either it doesn't give timed attack, regularly dodges or gets hit.

Experimenting also punished me. Lost a bunch of arrows that don't come back after reloads.

Poison arrows are by far the best way to handle a bear. you barely have to connect to make it just stagger around long enough to pop off 2-4 headshots.

malfcn

I got it with 3 poison and S bunch of normals and nada. Strange because I lost those arrows on a few attempts, or the mats.. But then another load I didn't lose any normals. I'm out of mushrooms now due to whatever loading / lose inventory thing happened.

JonnyKong

Nope, turns out I can't get back into the prison to get that last laptop, what the hell. I used the camp fire to take me to The Gulag, but that's right at the bottom of the prison, and there's a dead end there anyway when I come to the stationary trains.

And they've taken away the rope I used to originally get into the prison. There must be something I'm missing here. Oh man there's even a document in there I forgot to pick up I just realised.

FracturedZero

Neo Member
CD has been a top tier developer since Soul Reaver IMO, and I would easily put them on the same level as Naughty Dog.

This is where I would disagree. While there are parts of the gameplay I find myself enjoying more then Uncharted, when it comes to story and especially characters, they are not even close. Naughty Dog is just so much better at it. It is easily the one negative I have about this game, otherwise I absolutely have loved my time with it.

RyudBoy

Wow, Baths of Kitezh (sp?) had me scratching my head for a good 20mins+. Some of these challenge tombs are really well done.

Somnia

Man I am SO FUCKING TEMPTED to just restart after my bug. I having been patient and waiting to see if they can fix it... but I don't know how much longer I can hold out.

dreamfall

Agreed. These tombs are awesome!

I wish the entire game was just a collection of 30 challenge tombs. I love them all (5) I've done thus far. I also love that you have to find the entrances!

Poona

Her face now looks much more like the actress who portrays her (Camilla Luddington). You can really see it in the eyes.

I wish they would stop that. They make artwork and other promo material of Lara and put it on the box cover and yet they dont end up making her look like that, instead giving her a square head like Camilla Luddington.

I know they got motion capture and all but Nathan Drake does not have a resemblance of Nolan North and that has motion capture. Wish Lara could just be Lara. Legend, anniversary and underworld she did not have a square head.

Nope, turns out I can't get back into the prison to get that last laptop, what the hell. I used the camp fire to take me to The Gulag, but that's right at the bottom of the prison, and there's a dead end there anyway when I come to the stationary trains.

And they've taken away the rope I used to originally get into the prison. There must be something I'm missing here. Oh man there's even a document in there I forgot to pick up I just realised.

Yea, you are haha. There is a makeshift wooden ladder you can climb to get back up into that part of the prison from the water, if you backtrack form the campfire. It's just easy to look right through as debris. I did it earlier for the same laptop.

D23

Played for like 6 hours today. Game is truly is fun and have to say this is the best xbox exclusive to date.. Hell I think its worth buying an Xbox one for this game alone if you can't wait a year.

TheYanger

You can get back in there. You can get 100% of collectibles after you do those portions, some of the paths are different due to 'action scenes' cutting routes off, so look around. A lot of those spots have holes under walls you can crawl into.
I wish they would stop that. They make artwork and other promo material of Lara and put it on the box cover and yet they dont end up making her look like that, instead giving her a square head like Camilla Luddington.

I know they got motion capture and all but Nathan Drake does not have a resemblance of Nolan North and that has motion capture. Wish Lara could just be Lara. Legend, anniversary and underworld she did not have a square head.

uh, in the old games she didn't even look like a fucking person.
i2Afyoj.jpg

Just got the first 'region' area in the snow I think? The space seems to be really big, playing on the difficulty before Survivor, can't remember what it's called.

Not sure how to go about building my skills (can we get all like the last game?) but I am really liking the sneaking aspect in this game, it feels really satisfying!

Just finished the game with 31 hours in and 100% completion new Lara has really grown on me. Now time to clear up achievements and play some of the other modes :p

Lima

I know they got motion capture and all but Nathan Drake does not have a resemblance of Nolan North and that has motion capture.

Come again? Drake in U4 looks very much like Nolan North. The only reason this wasn't done last gen too much was because of power or if the character needed to look different for reasons. Think TLOU. ND made the face animations by hand.

The only negative is that the character looks different throughout the series. I mean U1 Nathan Drake and U4 Drake are basically a different person.

Not sure how to go about building my skills (can we get all like the last game?) but I am really liking the sneaking aspect in this game, it feels really satisfying!

Yes you can get all skills. Personally I went for collectable help stuff and stealth skills first as I avoided combat whenever given the chance. I unlocked them late game when the game just throws enemies at you.

Zeta Oni

Really love this more experienced take on Lara, her banter is amazing so far.

Walked in to a room and one of the enemies did their normal "She's here!!"

Lara: "Your damn right"

I've been playing for 12h and I'm only at 18%! I'm just amazed Lara hasn't died of hypothermia.

Also, I just got to the part were you get the
rifle
and I had some camera issues trying to take the enemies out. Small nitpick but it cost me a death, though.

Edit: A guy on my friendlist is also at 18% with only 4h. Shame, he must be rushing himself trough this amazing experience.

Catdaddy

Been playing for several hours and (at least for me) figured it out. The best part of TR2013 was after Lara stopped being naive and started kicking ass. This just starts kicking ass and doesnt let up. At first I was meh on the title but I get it now SE...

I'm already seeing myself replaying this game and not even out of the
Soviet Installation

JonnyKong

This game is just so freaking addictive.

I don't normally feel compelled to find every collectible on a game, but they just seem so compelling and fun to get on this. Especially when they're so wonderfully presented on the map for us..

Also the game feels like it's going to take me a while to do. I've spent a good 4 hours in the Soviet Installation I'd say, and I'm only just getting to the end of it now I think.

Come again? Drake in U4 looks very much like Nolan North. The only reason this wasn't done last gen too much was because of power or if the character needed to look different for reasons. Think TLOU. ND made the face animations by hand.

The only negative is that the character looks different throughout the series. I mean U1 Nathan Drake and U4 Drake are basically a different person.

Yes you can get all skills. Personally I went for collectable help stuff and stealth skills first as I avoided combat whenever given the chance. I unlocked them late game when the game just throws enemies at you.

Thanks for letting me know bro.

TheYanger

I appreciate that everyone that posts gifs uses the commando outfit ;) It's so good.

And I loved when Lara called
Ana
'a cu- *slap*' I was like.. shit just got real...Lara and her potty mouth..
The spitting right after was ace too.

Catdaddy

Oh and is the Henley outfit a nod/dig at Nathan Drake?

And I loved when Lara called
Ana
'a cu- *slap*' I was like.. shit just got real...Lara and her potty mouth..

eshwaaz

Interesting that there are so many comments that Lara looks too much like Luddington. This was something that Crystal D noticed during development, and tried to fix: Polygon article

Apparently they didn't go quite far enough.

leng jai

The last few "boss fights" were expectedly pretty daft. The visuals for the last 40 minutes were nice but the Xbone version does really start to falter in heavy combat situations.

Doesn't look like there's a NG+. Why is still not a default feature for games with collectibles and upgrades?

TheYanger

The last few "boss fights" were expectedly pretty daft. The visuals for the last 40 minutes were nice but the Xbone version does really start to falter in heavy combat situations.

Doesn't look like there's a NG+. Why is still not a default feature for games with collectibles and upgrades?

You can load your game and it will take place after the finale, there's even a cutscene when you load it back up. You can go everywhere, even syria, to get 100%.

Expeditions let you replay any section from the game you want, cutscenes included.

Lima

There is chapter replay elite which is kinda like NG+.

You get to replay all the combat encounters and tombs and you can always load your save if you want to roam the hubworlds and kick ass.

I would prefer a real NG+ option too though.

leng jai

You can load your game and it will take place after the finale, there's even a cutscene when you load it back up. You can go everywhere, even syria, to get 100%.

Expeditions let you replay any section from the game you want, cutscenes included.

Yeah I already watched the extra cutscenes. I'd rather replay the entire game with the upgrades I had after my first play through though.

There is chapter replay elite which is kinda like NG+.

You get to replay all the combat encounters and tombs and you can always load your save if you want to roam the hubworlds and kick ass.

I would prefer a real NG+ option too though.

Guess that's better than nothing.

Top Bottom