• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

Toa TAK

Banned
What's wrong with the controls exactly? I know it got touched upon before here, but can someone explain? They're not any different than from the last game.

hawk2025

It's exactly the same as TR DE on Xbox One. I played it a bit yesterday.

Then the xbox version of the DE has pretty heavy input lag.

I'm comparing to other games in the industry and the other versions of Tomb Raider I've played (360, PC, and PS4).

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I have 1 document and 4 survival caches left in the soviet installation, but nothing showing on my map. Surely by now everything should be lit up in that section?

icespide

Banned
I definitely have noticed the input lag that others have mentioned but it hasn't bothered me too much. If this one had as much gun combat as the previous game it would really bother me though

Montresor

Then the xbox version of the DE has pretty heavy input lag.

I'm comparing to other games in the industry and the other versions of Tomb Raider I've played (360, PC, and PS4).

It does not have "pretty heavy input lag".

It has a non-negligible input lag, that will be noticed by people very sensitive to input lag.

But I'm playing the game and I don't notice any input lag.

Lima

While I don't doubt that there is input lag I think how people perceive it has to do either how much laggy the rest of your chain produces. If the TV already has 40-60ms input lag, then if you are pushing the signal through a HDMI receiver that adds something etc.

I personally did not have a problem with it.

nOoblet16

Yeah me either. I'm hitting headshots all the time with the bow. Seems fine to me.
You will be able to hit headshots even if the input lag was twice as much as it is. That's not the problem here, the problem is that it isn't as snappy as it should be...and there is proof for that i.e. Xbox 360 version does not suffer from this.

Killzone 2 was one of the best shooters on PS3 and the Multiplayer was exceptional but no one can really argue that the input lag didn't hurt the game's controls. If it didn't then they wouldn't have improved upon that on the later games.

hawk2025

While I don't doubt that there is input lag I think how people perceive it has to do either how much laggy the rest of your chain produces. If the TV already has 40-60ms input lag, then if you are pushing the signal through a HDMI receiver that adds something etc.

Nothing else is different on my chain. I play other Xbox games on it all the time.

It's the game. It's fine if you guys don't mind or don't notice, but it's the game :)

LUXURY

Just about to go under the
observatory
. As far as I can tell I have all the archivist maps from the Soviet installation.

Have you picked up the survivor bags? I know those reveal secret items. They are represented as skulls on the map. I'm literally trying to do everything before moving on but I know it's not possible as I need the knife and fire arrows for challenges. It's making me nervous lol. Just to be clear, we're not required to buy guns and items from the shop are we? We can get them in game right?

Lima

Have you picked up the survivor bags? I know those reveal secret items. They are represented as skulls on the map. I'm literally trying to do everything before moving on but I know it's not possible as I need the knife and fire arrows for challenges. It's making me nervous lol. Just to be clear, we're not required to buy guns and items from the shop are we? We can get them in game right?

Nah the tactical shotgun and military rifle are only available at the shop. What else are you going to do with the coins? I finished the game and have 196 coins left over.

Just about to go under the
observatory
. As far as I can tell I have all the archivist maps from the Soviet installation.

Yeah you have access to everything. If the document isn't showing that means you are missing an archivist map. Maybe check the one where you get the climbing arrows. Copper Mill base camp I think. There is a map around the corner.

Survival caches are linked to explorer satchels. You must be missing one as well.

Montresor

Nah the tactical shotgun and military rifle are only available at the shop. What else are you going to do with the coins? I finished the game and have 196 coins left over.

You got the full 1000/1000 gamerscore and still had those coins (196) left over?

Lima

You got the full 1000/1000 gamerscore and still had those coins (196) left over?

Yeah. There are two upgrade tools that you can buy. The enhancement and refinement tool. The enhancement one you find in a strongbox during the story at The Acropolis so you only need to buy the refinement tool. Regardless they put enough coins in the game that you could buy it earlier too and still get everything.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Me too, have yet to have any issues in thr 20 odd hours of gameplay, if it gets brought up I just think "buy a new tv" lol

This game just keeps giving and giving, loving the hell out of it.

I've played ~21 hours so far and whenever I think that the game nears its end I'm mistaken and it delivers again with a new beautiful location etc.

This game really wants to compete against my current GOTY The Witcher 3 and it seems like Geralt's throne starts to crumble.

Kezen

Banned
I have not played this game but I've seen this game on a well calibrated Samsung UE75JU7000, it really looks beautiful.

I'm jelly of Xbox guys right now, and you won't find me saying this often.

Lima

What difficulty setting does the game give you? I want to play the one step tougher than normal. And can you change it anytime?

There are 4 difficulty options. Easy, Normal and Hard. You can change difficulty at any time when playing on any of these.

Then there is Survivor which is the hardest available. Once started you are locked in to Survivor on that save file. You can't drop down.

Zeta Oni

Me too, have yet to have any issues in thr 20 odd hours of gameplay, if it gets brought up I just think "buy a new tv" lol

This game just keeps giving and giving, loving the hell out of it.

I've almost complete the game at this point, and the reason many people aren't noticing it is because its only really noticeable during combat.

And I don't mean the point before you alert the enemies and your stealthed, I mean when the guns start blazing after your spotted.

Most of the time in the game is spent running around, and the way you move the sticks when doing everything else is not in a way that it would be instantly noticeable.

To test it, slightly move your either of your sticks slightly in any direction and pay attention to the time it takes for the motion to go through to the game. Its not super obvious, but if your looking for it it is noticeable.

RyudBoy

Guys, seriously... if you can't feel it, then that's fine, but to say that the input lag isn't there is ridiculous. Even doing simple stuff like navigating through the options menu shows a delay. It's doesn't feel too bad when moving around normally, but under heavy combat scenarios it can feel quite awful. The frame drops definitely make it feel even worse.

I don't wan't to sound like I'm crapping on the game. It's one of the best I've played this year (The Witcher 3 is still my fav and even that game had some control issues that were addressed). However, the input lag is definitely there. Would be great if they fix it.

There are 4 difficulty options. Easy, Normal and Hard. You can change difficulty at any time when playing on any of these.

Then there is Survivor which is the hardest available. Once started you are locked in to Survivor on that save file. You can't drop down.

Awesome. I shall play this on Hard....

..I'm not afraid!

hawk2025

Guys, seriously... if you can't feel it, then that's fine, but to say that the input lag isn't there is ridiculous. Even doing simple stuff like navigating through the options menu shows a delay. It's doesn't feel too bad when moving around normally, but under heavy combat scenarios it can feel quite awful. The frame drops definitely make it feel even worse.

I don't wan't to sound like I'm crapping on the game. It's one of the best I've played this year (The Witcher 3 is still my fav and even that game had some control issues that were addressed). However, the input lag is definitely there. Would be great if they fix it.

Agreed all around, and especially on the game being incredible.

If it sounds like I'm complaining too much, it's only because everything around it is very, very good -- and that controls in particular and the snappy feeling were always highlights of the TR2013 experience. I would never NOT recommend this game to someone based on the input lag.

Heysoos

Just finished the game. Need to go back and hit the 100%. Not too far off thankfully, I'm at 94%. Gonna be annoying to go back and find that last stupid rabbit snare and 2 bullseyes in the Valley though.

Cleve

I finished it pretty late last night. What a great game. I hope it manages to do well when it hits all the other platforms.

leng jai

Well presumably they're comparing it to other games they've played which would be using the same chain of hardware. ROTR has heavy input lag relative to most other games, that's just fact. Try jumping into a heavy fire fight and quickly take out 3 or 4 enemies at once with headshots - you'll feel how sluggish it is easily.

Lima

Well presumably they're comparing it to other games they've played which would be using the same chain of hardware. ROTR has heavy input lag relative to most other games, that's just fact. Try jumping into a heavy fire fight and quickly take out 3 or 4 enemies at once with headshots - you'll feel how sluggish it is easily.

I did. I played the game to 100% completion on Survivor and also have several no 1 scores in score attack.

Maybe it's because I played TR DE on Xbox One too and it has the same issue but that's the Tomb Raider I know.

Well I made sure to keep the camera as parallel as possible without it being obstructed and make her stand on the same level as others, but it's really a fact that she is just tiny in this game.
I seriously think they accidentally messed up the scale or something

Either that or all the natives are giant

dreamfall

26 hours in.

Absolutely blown away. I've been really savoring all of it, taking my time- finally unlocked new gear to try some of the tombs I couldn't get into before. It shall be awesome!

LUXURY

Well, horde like I do every fucking thing in these games. But thanks, guess I'll buy what I can now.

Grisby

Anyone else not diggin the expedition stuff?

I mean, I like the idea, and the depth of options the cards provide, but I feel like the larger areas don't make for a fun arcade setting. Kind of wish they would have done something like Alan Wake American Nightmare where there were some set maps made for the score attack mode.

The slower pace, set piece stuff is fine when you're playing the game normally, but when its added into a score attack setting, well, I just don't feel like it works so far.

Anyone got any tips on what cards to activate? Been putting it on survivor and trying got up the ante with cards that go against you. I'll keep plugging at it, but I think it could use some work.
I finished it pretty late last night. What a great game. I hope it manages to do well when it hits all the other platforms.
Yeah, me too. Hope it at least had something of a pulse here in NA. I'll be buying the PS4 edition again when it's released.

Might check out the season pass as well depending on gaf impressions.

Zeta Oni

BooTK4Bh.jpg

VLyaSiTh.jpg

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Is the Misguided Intelligence bird disappearing a confirmed glitch?

I looked everywhere, can't find it, and it's not where any of the walkthroughs I checked have it.

Top Bottom