• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

GReeeeN

bruh, you don't know what you're talking about.

but yes, this game does have some input lag and it would be nice if the developers acknowledge it and get it fixed.

My mistake, from memory I remember it being very fluid and responsive. Rise of the Tomb raider sure looks amazing, but it is hard to control when already playing on a HDTV that has input lag

Those games seem so wildly different that I think it's going to be tough for people to give you a definitive answer. It's really going to be up to your own tastes. I haven't played Fallout 4 and only played the beta for Battlefront, which I really enjoyed, but here's my opinion. Get the one that looks most interesting to you. Tomb Raider is a great game and I think you'll enjoy it if this genre is up your alley. The three games you listed seem to all be great games so I don't think you can really lose no matter which you choose. Pick the one that's in the genre your in the mood for at the moment. That probably doesn't help you much, but I say just go with your gut.

LOL Yeah I know!

I loved Fallout 3, 4 looks to be more of the same, but at this point in my life I only get to play in small or medium chunks. Not the hours long sessions from the Fallout 3 days. So I fear that it is just too much game that I will never get around to.

Battlefront looks, sounds and plays amazing if the final is anything like the beta, but is multiplayer only and I love a good meaty campaign along with my multi. Not to mention it seem a little light on content and a 60 dollar season pass is abhorrent and I don't want to support that. But on the other hand the beta was so damn fun.

Tomb Raider seems the middle option but once the campaign is done it's done. No multi to go to nor more world and side quests to explore a la Fallout.

Thanks for the reply!

sam777

So I bought this and Fallout 4 the same day. I started Fallout played for like 2 hours and decided to start this. I haven't gone back to Fallout. Game is great and I'm loving it so far. I like it more than the reboot and I enjoyed that a lot.

Exact same situation here. I thought I would have finished this by now but the game is longer than I expected, which is great.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I finally tipped over the edge and bought an Xbox. Downloading this now. Does the Xbone support mid-download play? If so, what percentage does Tomb Raider tick over to playable?

BadAss2961

So I bought this and Fallout 4 the same day. I started Fallout played for like 2 hours and decided to start this. I haven't gone back to Fallout. Game is great and I'm loving it so far. I like it more than the reboot and I enjoyed that a lot.
Sounds reasonable. Games like this are accessible while stuff like Fallout can be overwhelming and a drag.

leng jai

I finally tipped over the edge and bought an Xbox. Downloading this now. Does the Xbone support mid-download play? If so, what percentage does Tomb Raider tick over to playable?

It does normally but I think it's broken for Tomb Raider. It didn't work for me anyway.

sam777

To anyone who has Tomb Raider and also Fallout 4 and/or Battlefront, help me out. I can only get one.

Which way should I go?

I know this thread may be biased, so I am posting in the other games threads too.

Get this, it really is fantastic my GOTY. If you go for a physical copy you can sell it once completed and then get one of the other games you want (get Fallout).

Battlefront is a bit barebones so you may get bored of it but the sounds in the game are excellent.

Certinty

To anyone who has Tomb Raider and also Fallout 4 and/or Battlefront, help me out. I can only get one.

Which way should I go?

I know this thread may be biased, so I am posting in the other games threads too.
It depends what you want, I think Tomb Raider is far superior in pretty much every way, gameplay, graphics, fun and so on.

Saying that though I've put way more hours into Fallout 4. Personally it's not great like Tomb Raider but it's still a good game with plenty to do.

So it depends, if you want a game which lasts then definitely choose Fallout 4 otherwise Tomb Raider.

hawk2025

It usually does after the halfway point or so, but it's broken here, and crashes on the first cutscene.

Zeta Oni

Not sure of the exact percentage, but it only let's you play the first 5 minutes before you have to finish the download, so I'd say it's not really worth it.

Just finished this, it was an awesome ride. I really hope when this comes out for other platforms the sales pick up and it warrants a sequel. Too good of a franchise not to have another one.

LOL Yeah I know!

I loved Fallout 3, 4 looks to be more of the same, but at this point in my life I only get to play in small or medium chunks. Not the hours long sessions from the Fallout 3 days. So I fear that it is just too much game that I will never get around to.

Battlefront looks, sounds and plays amazing if the final is anything like the beta, but is multiplayer only and I love a good meaty campaign along with my multi. Not to mention it seem a little light on content and a 60 dollar season pass is abhorrent and I don't want to support that. But on the other hand the beta was so damn fun.

Tomb Raider seems the middle option but once the campaign is done it's done. No multi to go to nor more world and side quests to explore a la Fallout.

Thanks for the reply!

There is Expedition mode in this game that you might like if your into competing on leaderboards, but that is probably dependent on whether you have people on your friends list to compete with if you want to get into something like that. Haven't tried it myself yet so I'm not sure how everything works. I think there a few other challenge modes too. I'm personally solving the problem your going through by eventually buying all those games and I chose Tomb Raider to play through first and I don't regret it one bit.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
heh, okay, thanks guys. Fallout for now then. Really looking forward to starting this on the One. I played a bit on 360 and got a little way into the Soviet Installation before I finally threw in the towel. I was really enjoying the game and didn't want to keep doing it such a disservice (major props for the port though).

The Goat

Interested in picking this up, but had a question for you guys. Is the camera just like the last TR? Like shaky as shit? It made me sick as hell, and I couldn't play the game more than a few minutes at a time.

So how does the camera compare to the previous game? Hopefully not as shaky...

Nuke Soda

Finally beat the game and liked it, but if I am being 100% honest I liked Tomb Raider 2013 better.

Rise had a much better story, decently fleshed out supporting characters, and some damn pretty environments, but it lacked the tension of the first I felt. Yes the first had a embarrassing story, but I found the scavenger to be a lot scarier, they were dudes who had gone feral after all. This one improved on a lot, but I didn't feel the same desperation as I did running around Yamatai and trying to battle scavengers.

I liked this game, I just liked the first in this new (hopefully ongoing) Tomb Raider series.

It was a solid 7/10 for me. Just my opinion, I hope you all liked it better it is not a bad game by any stretch of the imagination.

jackdoe

Now that the game has started to veer towards being more combat heavy, I can safely say that the combat in this game is awful. Its closest analog is the combat in The Last of Us. Strong during quieter stealth moments, but completely falls apart in straight up shoot outs. Except it's worse in Rise of the Tomb Raider due to the fact that you can't go back to stealth after alerting one enemy and there's a hell of a lot more shootouts than The Last of Us. The arenas are also too small at times, and with destructible cover, you can end up in a situation where you literally have no other option except die and restart at the checkpoint and hopefully kill all enemies before they start becoming grenade lobbing happy and destroy all the cover. It really feels like they didn't really learn much from the complaints with regards to the reboot's combat. Which is a shame as Crystal Dynamics has nailed just about everything else so far. Atmosphere, exploration, and platforming are definitely a step up from the reboot. Hopefully, they tighten everything up for the next game.

Voror

Started last night and just finished the second challenge tomb. Thus far, combat is probably my least favorite part of the game honestly. It's okay but I really just like exploring the tombs and climbing and jumping around stuff. Finding these manuscripts and increasing languages is fun too.

Veelk

Banned
Okay, someone please tell me how the FUCK do I open that ceiling door that has a rope patch on it in the Lost City. I've been trying for hours trying to figure out how, but nothings working.

Edit: Okay, what the hell.

https://youtu.be/VdN6zTkWMkg?t=210

This is the exact area I am having trouble with. Except it's not like this in my game. There is some wierd extra later of ....idk, grated wall that doesn't allow me to do what is being shown in the video. HALP PLS

Okay, someone please tell me how the FUCK do I open that ceiling door that has a rope patch on it in the Lost City. I've been trying for hours trying to figure out how, but nothings working.

Somewhere up above out the door or window there's a crank that you attach the rope to and then crank it open.

Malo

Banned
Finally beat it. What a great game, it's my game of the year so far. Beat it with 90% and 27 hours played. I'm definitely going to 100% it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
How many hub areas (like the Soviet Installation) are there?

I gotta give it up to game devs for spending so much time on a section the user only visits for a few minutes. For example, the first cave where you find that bow part in the Soviet Installation level. So much love and detail went into that section and its optional too.

Somnia

So they were able to confirm that the game breaking glitch I experienced will be fixed in patch 2 along with quite a few other's, but they cannot fix the current game saves so I will have to restart.

It sucks, but I'm ok with it as the game is just that damn good and I'm going to up the difficulty.

If you want to avoid 2 major game breaking glitches, stay away from the option tomb that requires you to have the rebreather... till you have the rebreather. If you go in there do not quit the game or save in that area.

Bliddo

Started last night and just finished the second challenge tomb. Thus far, combat is probably my least favorite part of the game honestly. It's okay but I really just like exploring the tombs and climbing and jumping around stuff. Finding these manuscripts and increasing languages is fun too.

I hear you. The horrible input lag doesn't help. I can't believe they tested it and said "it's fine".
The stealth works well, but aiming is really a pain. Luckily the poison arrows are overpowered :D
Amazing game though, it's taking all my time away from fallout 4.

Veelk

Banned
I decided not to listen to the documents until after I found all of them, which took a long while.

I kind of regret doing so. Some of them are interesting, especially concerning the main characters, but others are obviously just filler. Why do we need the hunter girl to explain how to hunt animals to children when we've been doing it half the game?

Not to mention the fact that they REALLY need to get better performances out of the actors. Nearly all of it is spoken in a conversational tone regardless of context. THe lone survivor is apparently out of his mind with fear and weariness, but you wouldn't know it from his voice.

leng jai

I decided not to listen to the documents until after I found all of them, which took a long while.

I kind of regret doing so. Some of them are interesting, especially concerning the main characters, but others are obviously just filler. Why do we need the hunter girl to explain how to hunt animals to children when we've been doing it half the game?

Not to mention the fact that they REALLY need to get better performances out of the actors. Nearly all of it is spoken in a conversational tone regardless of context. THe lone survivor is apparently out of his mind with fear and weariness, but you wouldn't know it from his voice.

They really stuffed the tapes/documents up by not allowing you to listen to them in the background. Who wants to sit there and listen while looking at a static screen?

D23

Finished it with 70% completion, now I'm ready to play fallout 4. Not much else to do now, might trade the game in, is there any story dlc in the future?

WatTsu

Just wrapped this. Not sure what my completion is yet but I loved it. Probably even more than MGSV - the gameplay in MGSV may have been better but it felt so padded and rushed at times. This was masterfully crafted from start to finish, the story was better than the 2013 game, and it was just a treat to look at. Probably GOTY right now for me.

Ok this game is straight up incredible. Played it all night with the Mrs. She never plays games with me. Can't wait to get back on it. It's even better than I thought. Will buy a second copy on pc when available, to show my support

The Argus

Ok this game is straight up incredible. Played it all night with the Mrs. She never plays games with me. Can't wait to get back on it. It's even better than I thought. Will buy a second copy on pc when available, to show my support

My SO has been playing this non-stop. She hasn't played a game in 10+ years. Had to learn how to use analog sticks and everything. I'm having a blast just watching and helping with some parts from time to time. An absolutely amazing game, I think Uncharted 4 has tough competition (and she's now pumped to play that). Can't wait to try this on Survivor Mode after her play through.

level1

Yeah, same. Will definitely buy again on ps4 when it's out. They deserve the sales.

Neil_J_UK

Am I right in saying there's no achievements I can miss out on by going past the point-of-no-return now that I've completed all the optional challenge tombs?

Forsythia

Can anyone tell me how to get these 2 documents at the Soviet Installation? I'm probably missing something obvious here, but I have no clue.

rottrh1qq1.png

oti

Banned
Just finished it. What a great game!

83%
All the tombs.
All the side quests.
21.5h

I wanna go back and see what all those cards are about. Maybe I'll try to 100% it but I'm not sure yet.

Plus: GREAT Greek in this game. Some of it is flawless, some of it with a heavy accent. Won't go into detail for spoiler reasons.

I bought an Xbox for this (and because it was on sale for 250€) and I don't regret it one bit.

Novocaine

Sorry if this has been asked but the thread is kind of long.

Are there collectibles that if I miss them I cannot go back to get? Right now I'm running around after picking up the
grapple
and there are a few things that I just can't seem to find a way to. I really hope it's a case of me not looking hard enough.

Top Bottom