• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

So this game is apparently amazing? What the hell is it with this year? I'm now hyped for this, I'm currently playing AC Syndicate after I completely wrote off the AC franchise and I am seriously considering not even buying Battlefront. Hell, I haven't even finished Witcher III and I'm not sold on Fallout 4. This year has been crazy.

Yeah it's really great, best Tomb Raider game for me, hell I liked it more than any Uncharted games. CD did a really good job with this one and I hope they will do even better next time. Score attack is really fun too, very addictive :) I will pick it up for PS4 again when it's out.

Rocketz

So I bought this and Fallout 4 the same day. I started Fallout played for like 2 hours and decided to start this. I haven't gone back to Fallout. Game is great and I'm loving it so far. I like it more than the reboot and I enjoyed that a lot.

So I bought this and Fallout 4 the same day. I started Fallout played for like 2 hours and decided to start this. I haven't gone back to Fallout. Game is great and I'm loving it so far. I like it more than the reboot and I enjoyed that a lot.

Received my copy yesterday. Looking forward to getting on it tonight after work! Game sounds amazing.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nah the tactical shotgun and military rifle are only available at the shop. What else are you going to do with the coins? I finished the game and have 196 coins left over.

Yeah you have access to everything. If the document isn't showing that means you are missing an archivist map. Maybe check the one where you get the climbing arrows. Copper Mill base camp I think. There is a map around the corner.

Survival caches are linked to explorer satchels. You must be missing one as well.

Have you picked up the survivor bags? I know those reveal secret items. They are represented as skulls on the map. I'm literally trying to do everything before moving on but I know it's not possible as I need the knife and fire arrows for challenges. It's making me nervous lol. Just to be clear, we're not required to buy guns and items from the shop are we? We can get them in game right?

Thanks. Do satchels not appear on the map? That'd be annoying if true. Needle in a haystack, especially in the Soviet area. Need to see if there is a pic online showing their locations. I thought I had all the archivist maps but will recheck.

T.O.P

Banned
Only had a chance to play for about an hour last night but holy damn this game is pretty, the locations are already a lot more interesting than the reboot as well

Shame about the input lag while aiming, i'm hoping for a patch :(

GReeeeN

Anyone else really bothered with the input lag??, after playing tomb raider DE on xbone at 60fps, it felt really nice and responsive, I understand this is 30fps, but this delay is driving me insane.

Don't developers try to play their games on TVs and see it's pretty much impossible to aim....

nOoblet16

Meh, the stealth in this game is fuckin shit.

If there is an alert phase, then no matter where you are the enemies will close in to your location to search for you. So say even if you attack a bunch of people with poison arrows from a hidden cover in an area, and then relocate to a different position. The enemies will come searching for you in the exact spot where you are at the moment, and there is no way to avoid combat once the search begins since if you move out of the bushes they'll see you.

GReeeeN

If I knew the game had his much input lag, would have held out for the pc version at 60fps :/, I finding it hard to even jump onto ladders...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Meh, the stealth in this game is fuckin shit.

If there is an alert phase, then no matter where you are the enemies will close in to your location to search for you. So say even if you attack a bunch of people with poison arrows from a hidden cover in an area, and then relocate to a different position. The enemies will come searching for you in the exact spot where you are at the moment, and there is no way to avoid combat once the search begins since if you move out of the bushes they'll see you.

I enjoyed exploring the wolf cave in the middle of the Soviet installation and having the enemy above ground seemingly able to see me underground. I could even see their torches

Jumeira

Banned
So impressed with all these richly detailed area's. By that i dont mean gorgeous looking environments, but there's small stories embedded with these environments of recent events. An example of what i mean is MGS1 where you see scattered bodies before meeting Ninja, or the Devils House in MGS5. These are few and far between in those games, but RotTR is littered with these deliberately placed environmental stories. And some are grand show pieces. Im often lost pieces together or dealing with the shock with others.

Lima

If I knew the game had his much input lag, would have held out for the pc version at 60fps :/, I finding it hard to even jump onto ladders...

j-j-jameson-laughxss4n.gif

8bit

Knows the Score
I enjoyed exploring the wolf cave in the middle of the Soviet installation and having the enemy above ground seemingly able to see me underground. I could even see their torches

I murdered someone through a wall last night. Reached through solid steel and stabbed them.

Just found a friend's (As in someone from my Xbox friend's list) backpack, what the hell is that about?

That's interesting. No-one else on my friend list seems to be playing this unfortunately.

e90Mark

Just beat the story for this game last night. My playtime was 16 hours for 71% completion at the end.

Really fun game. Builds on what made the previous game great. So many different areas which were really detailed. Easily one of the best looking games I've seen this year.

Haven't tried expeditions yet, which I'm guessing where those cards are used.

Too bad this game got shadowed by Fallout, I've put more into this than I have the former. Not sure if DLC content has been detailed yet, but I'm definitely interested to play more.

Allforce

Really enjoying this but I've hit a game-breaking (and ending) bug that won't let me progress in the Acropolis. I earn the "grenade arrow" item and the first time shooting it Lara just ceases to be able to move. You can do nothing but melee, reload, fire weapons. No jumping, no dodging, nothing. Reloading does nothing, backup save takes you back to the start of the area but the bug still happens when you hit that point again.

Seems they've replicated it and are working on a fix but it's still super disappointing and sort of kills my enthusiasm having to wait for a patch. Anyone else run into this?

http://forums.na.square-enix.com/showthread.php?t=183253

carl32

Banned
Anyone else really bothered with the input lag??, after playing tomb raider DE on xbone at 60fps, it felt really nice and responsive, I understand this is 30fps, but this delay is driving me insane.

Don't developers try to play their games on TVs and see it's pretty much impossible to aim....
Tomb Raider DE is 30 fps on Xbone

Finished this last night and damn, what a game. It's so hard to put down when you start playing. Don't really have much to say that hasn't be said about the game already. Highly recommend picking this game up if you have an Xbox One. Exploring all the environments is great fun and everything looks fantastic. Using the bow is still as satisfying as ever and some of the melee kills are just brutal. Enjoyed the story and there really never was a dull moment in the game, even when I was just hunting for collectibles.

Usually don't take screenshots of games, but I had to take a shot of this part. (Late game area spoiler) http://i.imgur.com/G7sdq19.jpg. I should have taken a short clip of it instead since a still picture just doesn't do that part justice. The embers floating in the air, the fire, the smoldering wood, everything just looked great.

hawk2025

Just beat the story for this game last night. My playtime was 16 hours for 71% completion at the end.

Really fun game. Builds on what made the previous game great. So many different areas which were really detailed. Easily one of the best looking games I've seen this year.

Haven't tried expeditions yet, which I'm guessing where those cards are used.

Too bad this game got shadowed by Fallout, I've put more into this than I have the former. Not sure if DLC content has been detailed yet, but I'm definitely interested to play more.

It's a horde mode, a challenge mode (not sure what the difference is here) and a new tomb.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Finally cleared out all areas prior to moving on from the geothermal valley (geothermal is 99% as I still have to complete the secrets of the tombs mission but that's fine). Had to resort to walkthrough videos for the Soviet installation missing items as I just couldn't find them. Managed the other area on my own but you just end up walking back and forth 'painting' the levels to wait for an X prompt to pop up. I wish there was a perk that let you detect them from a farther distance, they are just too frustrating

RyudBoy

bruh, you don't know what you're talking about.

but yes, this game does have some input lag and it would be nice if the developers acknowledge it and get it fixed.

Checking in again just to gush over this game. Its almost the perfect video game. If the aiming was a little better and didn't have the delay or whatever it has, it would be really close to a 10 for me.

I like Tomb Raider 2013 just as much if not more than Uncharted 2 and 3, and I definitely like Rise of the Tomb Raider more than all of the Uncharteds.

Hats off CD, incredible work.

Ryan_MSF

CD did a fantastic job with this. If it weren't for Bloodborne i'd have no problems with having this as my GOTY. What an experience from start to finish.

Really happy to hear all these positive impressions. Makes me happy the game's great, just too bad it didn't sell even close to a numbers it deserves. Well maybe on PC and PS4.. Well I think I go back playing it now after having a break for couple of days.

Dr Dogg

Well just got to the Geothermal Valley. Speechless. Sure there's some rough edge here and there (namely eye gouging shader aliasing off various material) but catch it in the right light and it's definitely a looker. So glad CD listened to the complaints about the tombs and lack of puzzles in the previous game as they are so much better here. That smug sense of satisfaction when you figure something out without having to resort to help is great in this game. Gave myself a pat on the back after sussing out the Ancient Cistern.

D23

I don't want this game to end, seriously.

I'm pretty sure i'm at the no return point... this is definitely my GOTY, i'm having so much fun and the graphics is just jaw dropping.

EthanC

Banned

You never played TR:DE at 60 FPS on Xbox One. And no, I'm not bothered by the input lag. In fact, I don't notice any.

That doesn't account for the ones I can't access yet, does it? I've come across one or two I didn't have the tool to access.

I think it has the total number of tombs in the area even if you don't have the tools to enter it. I very well could be wrong about that though, but I'm pretty sure Geothermal Valley always said it had 4 tombs even though I know 2 of them I couldn't enter because I didn't have the tools for it when I first got there.

Jumeira

Banned
CD did a fantastic job with this. If it weren't for Bloodborne i'd have no problems with having this as my GOTY. What an experience from start to finish.

This is the best Lara has ever been as a character and as an adventure. The Tombs are much better than the reboot but id like CD to put even more focus on the puzzle aspect next time. Which is what the old games really have as its strength, but in terms of movement, platforming, gunplay, scale CD delivered a top tier Tomb Raider, the best yet. Im near the end, and the game keeps making my jaw drop with the gameplay scenarios and visuals.

Also the most amount of Tomb Raiding ive ever done. Hope sales pick up, i feel this will have strong WOM.

LowParry

Played a little bit of the game and hells, what's with the input lag with this game? I makes aiming a bit of a chore when going for head shots. Is this a known issue that's going to get fixed?

To anyone who has Tomb Raider and also Fallout 4 and/or Battlefront, help me out. I can only get one.

Which way should I go?

I know this thread may be biased, so I am posting in the other games threads too.

To anyone who has Tomb Raider and also Fallout 4 and/or Battlefront, help me out. I can only get one.

Which way should I go?

I know this thread may be biased, so I am posting in the other games threads too.

Those games seem so wildly different that I think it's going to be tough for people to give you a definitive answer. It's really going to be up to your own tastes. I haven't played Fallout 4 and only played the beta for Battlefront, which I really enjoyed, but here's my opinion. Get the one that looks most interesting to you. Tomb Raider is a great game and I think you'll enjoy it if this genre is up your alley. The three games you listed seem to all be great games so I don't think you can really lose no matter which you choose. Pick the one that's in the genre your in the mood for at the moment. That probably doesn't help you much, but I say just go with your gut.

Top Bottom