• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
That music video posted 2 pages back is pretty cool. Glad to see at least one positive reaction!

Yeah, gratzi on those screens, Champion of Kirkwall. It does indeed look quite breathtaking. Can't wait to play this (in a year, sigh).
Heh
Snow and cutscenes look SO good! Wow!
Thanks for all the screenshots.
Thanks for the screens Garrett, game is lookin pretty good!
No problem :)
I have feeling that Microsoft spent more money on office supplies this month then on RotTR marketing.
Sad but true :(

They lumped it in with Xbox commercials, finally saw a stand alone commercial during Walking Dead or maybe Talking Dead....

That said, pre-loaded and ready to go. When does it unlock???

I see, I guess I shouldn't complain...I rarely watch TV.

Ok, final batch (for now)

I believe all of these are real time. I didn't take any screenshots of the pre-rendered scenes cus that seemed a little pointless. :p

Bonus: snow deformation is pretty cool although it doesn't always match up right.

Those Next-Gen teeth, looks really fucking good. Can't wait. Was gonna wait on the PS4 or PC version but I'll be happy to play it on X1.

Karak

So friggin glad people are enjoying this game. Its so well done I started to wonder if it was going to be just forgoteen.But I am actually seeing a ton of activity in many places about it and man that makes me happy

Game is seriously gorgeous tbh. The core artwork is fantastic and while image quality isn't all that good due to some... oddities (I don't know how to describe them but they make some edges look incredibly jaggy) the overall impression is really good imo.

mauaus

Managed to get a refund for my digital copy of Halo 5, to be honest i hated every second of it. Thought i would like it, not my cup of tea. Got this and am very excited to play tonight!

VinFTW

Man, I think I'm gonna play through this before Fallout 4...

Getting this and FO4 tomorrow w/ Target's B2G1 deal.

Ahasverus

I'm SO hyped, some friends have it and say it's a complete blast, on the level of Uncharted. Gotta go into town later today!

Robin

The first few areas look amazing visually. The detail in Lara's face is especially impressive.

The gameplay is pretty much the same as the reboot so if you were happy with how that played you won't be disappointed. I can't speak to the difficulty really as I'm playing on normal (2nd option of the 4 choices available). None of the combat encounters so far seem like they would be much trouble though. I did die once but only because I'm crap at 3rd person action games!

One of the things I was worried about pre-release was all the crafting and collectible stuff but I'm happy with how it's handled. I like to poke around in every corner before moving on and none of the items and secrets you can find is worthless junk. Everything you come across contributes to getting new skills and weapons. Some of it is daft like the way learning languages works, but I feel that helps with world building.

I'm only a little way into the first big hub area and so far I haven't seen the game make the leap forward some of the reviews suggest but I'm having fun, and with the way I play, I can see myself spending way more time than the 10-12 hours it's taken some people to finish it.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Hey, not everyone can coin their own shit mountain OT, but that won't stop people for trying.

I'm in for 360 this year and PS4 next.

EDIT: Rise of the Tomb Raider OT: The New Adventures of Lara Croft on Shit Mountain
?

LegendX48

The first few areas look amazing visually. The detail in Lara's face is especially impressive.

The gameplay is pretty much the same as the reboot so if you were happy with how that played you won't be disappointed. I can't speak to the difficulty really as I'm playing on normal (2nd option of the 4 choices available). None of the combat encounters so far seem like they would be much trouble though. I did die once but only because I'm crap at 3rd person action games!

One of the things I was worried about pre-release was all the crafting and collectible stuff but I'm happy with how it's handled. I like to poke around in every corner before moving on and none of the items and secrets you can find is worthless junk. Everything you come across contributes to getting new skills and weapons. Some of it is daft like the way learning languages works, but I feel that helps with world building.

I'm only a little way into the first big hub area and so far I haven't seen the game make the leap forward some of the reviews suggest but I'm having fun, and with the way I play, I can see myself spending way more time than the 10-12 hours it's taken some people to finish it.

is the game itself just more of the same as the 2013 reboot or does it try to veer closer to the older TR games?

This game looks pretty amazing. The reviews are great and it could be a legit Game of the Year contender. It's a shame that the OT for one of the biggest games of the year is so heavily dominated by console wars garbage. This thread is toxic.

In any regard, I'm really looking forward to this game. It looks like exploration plays a big role in the game is said to have some really clever puzzles. I was worried the game would be comprised entirely of linear action sequences and quicktime events, so it's great to hear that there's more depth to the game.

Robin

is the game itself just more of the same as the 2013 reboot or does it try to veer closer to the older TR games?

The same as the reboot. It's not really like the older games but it does a better job of having places to explore. I'm not far into the game but nothing I've seen so far has been complex.

JayB1920

The gameplay is the same as the Reboot but there are far fewer QTE's and slow motion moments. The crafting/upgrading has been given more depth and the HUB areas are much larger with more to do. The way it tries to veer closer to the older games is by focusing a bit more on the tombs and they are definitely a step up both in terms of size and puzzles. They require more steps to complete and some are in much larger tomb like environments and span more than one room.

jackdoe

Thread title should be something tongue in cheek. Like:

Rise of the Tomb Raider |OT| Thread Coming Holiday 2015, Exclusively on Xbox

or

Rise of the Tomb Raider |OT| Tomb Raider Into Darkness

Flintty

Ok, final batch (for now)

rottrscreenshot0911209asyh.png

Oh my! Curse my dirty mind, that looks like a strap on scene...

Awesome shots dude. The game is a beauty!

you get to do one refund a year, i just plain told the agent the game was not to my liking and that i "was told" i am entitled to one refund per year.

I already did one for the MCC though. Although that game was completely broken at the time.

RK128

I enjoyed the first one due to its gameplay being strong and elements it tried to play with (exploration, platforming, combat, ect) feeling tighter to me than the Uncharted series. I hated the original's story and characters but it wasn't bad enough to write me off the game :).

Going to get this new one sometime next year (whenever it comes to PS4 when I get that or if I get an X1 at some point, get it with that) and I'm wondering for those that played enough of the game; how is the story for RotTR?

That was the biggest issue I had with the original, so if that is decent at the very least, I will really look forward to giving this new one a shot :).

Thank you for anyone who answers my question and I hope people enjoy the game :D! The original had a lot of potential, so the sequel should be really damn good and one of the stronger games of 2015 :).

Elitist1945

That is a good looking game! I'm waiting for this to pop onto PS4, but I'm sure the wait will be worth it - loved the last Tomb Raider.

Genio88

I've been playing it for about 7 hours straight, game looks simply awesome, i'd say the best graphics i've seen so far on console, at least on Xbox One, same for the animations, especially Lara's of course, gameplay wise it is way bigger than TR 2013, it's almost comparable to a free roaming, there is plenty of stuff to find and unlock, a few side missions and lots of optional tombs to discover and solve, i already found like 6 tombs so far, they're not too hard to solve but definitely well done and enjoyable, of course there is shooting too and it's done pretty well, the base is the 2013 reboot but with visible improvements here and there. Story wise seems good so far, and this time there are other interesting characters other than Lara.
I liked TR 2013 a lot and this game is that thing but enhanced in every aspect, definitely a big game, a GOTY contender for me, even if with Witcher 3 and MGSV it's pretty hard

The "marketplace" pop-ups and stuff are incredibly immersion breaking. I think flipping the "online features" setting to off gets rid of them, I'll post back when I find out.

For those wondering, after fulfilling certain requirements (from what I can gather), you're given a pack which you can open or something, but it's not diagetic at all.

hawk2025

The "marketplace" pop-ups and stuff are incredibly immersion breaking. I think flipping the "online features" setting to off gets rid of them, I'll post back when I find out.

For those wondering, after fulfilling certain requirements (from what I can gather), you're given a pack which you can open or something, but it's not diagetic at all.

Wait, that happens during the main game, not just the bonus mode?

drotahorror

I hate the xb1 download speeds. 50% in 4 hours? On PS4 or PC I would download 20gb in 3 hours max (probably much less). I always deal with this crap on xb1. It also cripples my entire network and videos and pictures can barely load on other devices. Well pictures will load. PS4 and PC don't destroy my network either, even when downloading at full speed.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
So on which marketplace does this unlock first? Brasil seems to be in two hours, Australia and New Zealand don't seem to work.

Syriel

My only real complaint about the game comes down to the weak melee combat and mediocre gunplay. Everything else is great. If you're going to play, use the bow as your primary weapon. So good. :)

I'm trying to stream on Twitch but it says the game isn't supported...?

I believe Twitch streams are whitelisted until official launch.

Wait, that happens during the main game, not just the bonus mode?

You get card packs (to use in the expeditions mode) after completing certain levels. The notification pops similar to an achievement.

Hey, you just beat X level! Here's the themed card pack! Here's the achievement!

That's about it.

Top Bottom