• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Tomb Raider OT | Feat. 20% more tombs and 75% more chastising OP's title

RyudBoy

Got chased and injured by a bear, then spent about an hour on the next section roaming around in the snow. There's still one item that's sitting on a platform hung above the trees that I don't know how to reach.

Not in a hurry to just breeze through the game. Will try to 100% on my first go, then finish it again on Survivor difficulty.

It's good though, very good.

Having played a bit more, I'm now in one of the more open areas and it's daylight. And image quality is ROUGH... I don't know what it is but I'm sure DF will pick up on it. It's not a deal breaker but it does detract a bit from the core artwork which is fantastic imo. They lighting, the materials, the amount of physics on Lara alone... It's super cool. :)

JayB1920

Having played a bit more, I'm now in one of the more open areas and it's daylight. And image quality is ROUGH... I don't know what it is but I'm sure DF will pick up on it. It's not a deal breaker but it does detract a bit from the core artwork which is fantastic imo. They lighting, the materials, the amount of physics on Lara alone... It's super cool. :)

Something the PC release should clean up quite nicely. That version has potential to be absolutely stunning. Still I won't let it bother me to much when I play this over the next couple of days.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Ok you guys are getting me hyped, can't wait to dive into this game tomorrow after work!

Navy Bean

Is there a handy list of the general locations of the optional tombs? I don't mind exploring a bunch but I'd also like to find them all with as little backtracking as possible.

Gray Matter

Haven't played it yet
and probably won't until the eventual PS4 release
, but I was never a big fan of the floaty Lara jumps. From the few videos I've seen it looks like the floaty jumps are still present.

Something the PC release should clean up quite nicely. That version has potential to be absolutely stunning. Still I won't let it bother me to much when I play this over the next couple of days.
Yeah, I'm going to be triple dipping + I'm signed up to do the OT for the PC version :p can't wait to see how it looks on my 970!
Haven't played it yet
and probably won't until the eventual PS4 release
, but I was never a big fan of the floaty Lara jumps. From the few videos I've seen it looks like the floaty jumps are still present.
They are present but I feel like they're necessary. If you couldn't readjust Lara's position in midair a lot of the plat forming sections wouldn't work. As it is, it looks a bit weird but Lara feels a hell of a lot more controllable than, for example, Nathan Drake.

Lima

24% in. So far it is just like TR2013 which was already a better version of Uncharted.

Game is damn fine so far.

RyudBoy

Game has screen tearing along with a sub-30fps. :(

While not severe, it's instantly noticeable once you reach the Soviet Installation.

JayB1920

Yeah, I'm going to be triple dipping + I'm signed up to do the OT for the PC version :p can't wait to see how it looks on my 970!

They are present but I feel like they're necessary. If you couldn't readjust Lara's position in midair a lot of the plat forming sections wouldn't work. As it is, it looks a bit weird but Lara feels a hell of a lot more controllable than, for example, Nathan Drake.

Same I'll pick up the PC release eventually. I agree after playing the UC collection and TR Reboot over the last couple days, Lara feels much better to control and the lack of sticky cover is a godsend when you need to constantly move around from cover to cover.

leng jai

Early impressions of this are pretty solid. I'll start by saying that it feels very similar to the 2013 game so I don't think this sequel will do anything sway people either way. In fact the entire first 30 minutes of the game feels quite familiar although they did tone down the QTEs. There does seem to be less emphasis on actual firefights - a lot of the actual combat I've encountered so far has been quite easily stealth-able. The aiming feels a bit sluggish to me, but that's probably due to the frame rate and the fact I'm coming straight off BLOPs on PS4. I've encountered one optional tomb so far which was disappointingly short/easy but I'm hoping that's due to them easing you into the first one.

As expected the game is a bit of a mixed bag graphically, although overall it's a very nice looking game with some instances of brilliance. The IQ is mediocre with minor tearing and very little AA. The frame rate feels sluggish at times but nothing major and mostly tolerable especially when you consider the hardware it's running on. The art is fantastic and there's no doubt the PC version will look stunning. Honestly I'm extremely happy with how it looks but at the same time my expectations are practically zero when it comes to Xbone games. The sound mix is good with no major issues. If you played the 2013 game you know what it's like. It's quite atmospheric with the wind effects and the explosions and whatnot are suitably bombastic.

JayB1920

Early impressions of this are pretty solid. I'll start by saying that it feels very similar to the 2013 game so I don't think this sequel will do anything sway people either way. In fact the entire first 30 minutes of the game feels quite familiar although they did tone down the QTEs. There does seem to be less emphasis on actual firefights - a lot of the actual combat I've encountered so far has been quite easily stealth-able. The aiming feels a bit sluggish to me, but that's probably due to the frame rate and the fact I'm coming straight off BLOPs on PS4. I've encountered one optional tomb so far which was disappointingly short/easy but I'm hoping that's due to them easing you into the first one.

The second tomb you have access to is a pretty good step above the ice ship (assuming that is the one you are referring to). Of course it may not be the second one you do and it is still easy overall. It is just a lot more clever and solidly made of a puzzle. It also feels great how far you have to travel to reach it. It really feels hidden and isolated. The rest I am not sure about yet.

JayB1920

Are the tombs still one puzzle rooms?
Some are one room/area but others have a few rooms. They all take place in much larger tomb like environments and take multiple steps to complete. They are a bit harder to find and the path to the tombs have traps/platforming/ light puzzles also instead of a forced slow walk through a cave. There are also more things to explore and collect in the tombs. Here is an example of two:

eLX0pwQ.jpg

6Esr9f4.jpg

compared to:

tomb-raider-05.jpg

Hawk269

I hate the xb1 download speeds. 50% in 4 hours? On PS4 or PC I would download 20gb in 3 hours max (probably much less). I always deal with this crap on xb1. It also cripples my entire network and videos and pictures can barely load on other devices. Well pictures will load. PS4 and PC don't destroy my network either, even when downloading at full speed.

Odd. For me the PS4 is a POS when it comes to downloading games/patches. I took down TR in 1 hr 20 min. It takes my PS4 4x as long to do around the same 20gb. Don't understand how with both being wired that my PS4 just is a slug when it comes to DL. My PC which is also wired, flies just like the Xbox One.

golem

Odd. For me the PS4 is a POS when it comes to downloading games/patches. I took down TR in 1 hr 20 min. It takes my PS4 4x as long to do around the same 20gb. Don't understand how with both being wired that my PS4 just is a slug when it comes to DL. My PC which is also wired, flies just like the Xbox One.

Ive noticed network congestion on Xbox Live is pretty bad on days of release.. I get great speeds preloading before release but it's terrible on the day of. PSN seems to be slow for me year round however.

newsguy

Had to choose between this and Fallout. For all of the circus surrounding Fallout, it's nice to know Tomb Raider is a solid performer. Also, I don't have time for 100+ hour games like I used to.

statham

Are you surprised by this, this isn't the TeamXBOX forum you know.

just saw this quote, can you go more into detail please? Like I can't tell the angle you are trying to take,. I just want an even title so we can discuss the game and not the PC/PS4 ports.

drotahorror

Goin survivor. Hope I don't regret it. I think I would have in TLoU for first time through.

I should get off here and play the game.

malfcn

I'll be picking up in the morning.
My wife watches Grey's, and thinks it's weird hearing Lara. And what happened to her face?

Guys, please don't use spoiler tags in a thread like this for things that aren't actual spoilers. There was one a few posts up that was really scary to read (it seemed like it cooooould be a joke but also might not be) and... well, I'm worried I'm going to actually get spoilered at some point.

Thank you :3

Toa TAK

Banned
Guys, please don't use spoiler tags in a thread like this for things that aren't actual spoilers. There was one a few posts up that was really scary to read (it seemed like it cooooould be a joke but also might not be) and... well, I'm worried I'm going to actually get spoilered at some point.

Thank you :3

Don't read the thread and come back when you've beaten the game then.

x-Lundz-x

just saw this quote, can you go more into detail please? Like I can't tell the angle you are trying to take,. I just want an even title so we can discuss the game and not the PC/PS4 ports.

This isn't the teamSony forums either but I would imagine he is tying the Sony controlled gaf angle. I wish would could get past this as well. I can't wait for this game, playing it first before diving into fallout 4.

hwy_61

Banned
I wonder what the pop up art sleeve that you get with a preorder is? Apparently it's a Best Buy exclusive? It's probably dumb as hell

Top Bottom