• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

Is any of this known yet (my arena shooter worthyness checklist)

-is there a fov slider
-does the mouse sensitivity slider have integer values or some shitty stepping/non descript bar
-is there any kind of mouse smoothing/acceleration or input lag whatsoever
-can you turn off that godawful shitty bloom completely
- is there a strafejump speed modifier like in quake/rtcw/cs/ut
-how is visibility of enemies against the background (can't tell in the video because i'm blinded by the bloom and the youtube compression, but it does not look promising)

weapon pickups, the movement speed etc look good in the videos but every single attempt at an arena shooter/oldschool shooter lately has been a miserable failure that completely missed the point.

Been dying to find a fun new arena shooter.

Refyref

Well, this isn't exactly an arena shooter, just an old-school one. Unless I have a weird definition of arena shooters.

Speaking of which, has there even been an arena shooter made in the last few years, other than Nexuiz?

codhand

freaking wednesday releases, why is there no monday releases huh!!!

[sigh] ...sorry for yelling, i just, want to play the game so bad :_(

Well, this isn't exactly an arena shooter, just an old-school one. Unless I have a weird definition of arena shooters.

Speaking of which, has there even been an arena shooter made in the last few years, other than Nexuiz?

Well, the multiplayer probably qualifies as an "arena shooter."

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
So pumped for this. I hope they haven't tried to update the gameplay or done anything dumb like that. I miss the simplicity of games like this and Doom.
I hope they at least updated it to Doom level as the original Rise of the Triad was very simplistic (basically Wolfenstein 3D with better visuals).

I hope they at least updated it to Doom level as the original Rise of the Triad was very simplistic (basically Wolfenstein 3D with better visuals).

yeah it did start off as Wolfenstein 3D II: Rise of the Triad, made with the same engine. But when ID started to promote Doom as the next big thing they revoked the license. The developers then just went balls out with the crazy stuff and removed most of the original visuals.

Gestapo enemies are still quite familiar and it is filled with secrets and collectables :D The engine limitations did hold them back though compared to Doom.

NIN90

Is any of this known yet (my arena shooter worthyness checklist)

-is there a fov slider
-does the mouse sensitivity slider have integer values or some shitty stepping/non descript bar
-is there any kind of mouse smoothing/acceleration or input lag whatsoever

-can you turn off that godawful shitty bloom completely
- is there a strafejump speed modifier like in quake/rtcw/cs/ut
-how is visibility of enemies against the background (can't tell in the video because i'm blinded by the bloom and the youtube compression, but it does not look promising)

weapon pickups, the movement speed etc look good in the videos but every single attempt at an arena shooter/oldschool shooter lately has been a miserable failure that completely missed the point.

The bolded points have been answered in a thread on the Steam forums (can't look it up right now, not at home)
FOV slider is in (can be altered via console even)
Mouse settings can be altered via console
There is bunny hopping in multiplayer.

Also, ROTT is the top seller on GMG. YES! The more people buying and playing this the better! I'm hoping it does really well and I hope the modding community really takes off. I really miss arena shooters with awesome modding communities that make the game last an additional 3-4 years. I'm hoping ROTT goes that route.

The original ROTT was a single player game first, multiplayer second.

codhand

preloaded, ok now what?

tumblr_lpctnhugmT1qe0eclo1_r4_500.gif

I'll be uploading my first hour with this tomorrow. It's extremely fast paced. I got lost a few times, and had a good time. This is new yet old school in alot of great ways.

NIN90

GMG has the game for 12€ and they also give you 3€ GMG credit for buying it effectively making it a 9€ purchase.

Pretty sure they do the same with funny american money too.

Accoun

Commercial, I don't think so. Warsow reached stable last year, the original, open-source Nexuiz is still in development, forked into Xonotic.
And that's probably all.

Top Bottom