• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rise of the Triad |OT| RocketMinigun not OP

codhand

thats for an iOS game from 2010. Review embargo for this game will be lifted at 4pm BST iirc

know i get that :p, i just meant when/why the hell did a rise of the triOS game come out??

i'm anticipating good reviews based on the twitters

I can see the reviews now:

"Shooters changed for a reason..."
"Frustrating level design, I never knew where to go next"
"Imagine my surprise when I hid behind a rock and my health didn't regenerate, this game was aggravating"

This game is going to get mauled by most of the press.

And I won't care. I still enjoy the original ROTT, so I see no reason why I wouldn't enjoy this new one as well, especially since they seem to be sticking closely to its old-school roots. We have enough modern first person shooters on the market anyway.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Lé Blade Runner;73973568 said:
And I won't care. I still enjoy the original ROTT, so I see no reason why I wouldn't enjoy this new one as well, especially since they seem to be sticking closely to its old-school roots. We have enough modern first person shooters on the market anyway.

Oh I hope nobody cares. I hope everyone points and laughs and how continually out of touch the gaming press is.

This is just great. It really is an early 90's PC FPS brought into the modern age. I'd have to imagine anyone who is a fan of the original ROTT will really dig this.

codhand

Luckily i'm in work so the 6GB GOG download only took a few minutes. Now i can't wait to get back home and start playing!

you get to play rise of the triad at work?

i use logmein . com to log into my home computer and start my steam downloads, it makes me feel like a nerd super agent

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

"Imagine my surprise when I hid behind a rock and my health didn't regenerate, this game was aggravating"

Oh, Mitch Dyer is reviewing it?

you get to play rise of the triad at work?
i use logmein . com to log into my home computer and start my steam downloads, it makes me feel like a nerd super agent

Nah, i login to GOG or Steam, download the game and then put it on a HDD to take home later. I don't play them at work, my machine is a beast with a business class video card :(

I do have the odd play or two on indie games at lunch hour now and then though.

inm8num2

"Punishing difficulty"? I say that's a plus!

I wonder how people will respond to the checkpoint saving system. I would have preferred manual saving, especially if the game is like old-school FPS games where you die frequently.

Samus4145

Going to get a positive review from me later today. Game is fucking fun as hell (checkpoints are annoying though). That's what matters the most to me.

JakeD

so GOG gets it DRM free and 7 hours early??

rFrJI3C.png

Yep and strange too, I mean, if it's an old school shooter why not include quick saving?

It's a strange one to me too but i'll cope.

There's also a contingent on GAF who view anything other than checkpoint saves as being a sign of the devil and symptomatic of terrible level design.

This game is going to spank me so hard i just know it in my rusty, old man reflexes and bones. I'll be grinning like a loon each time though.

*thwack* Thank you, Sir. May i have another?

Joe_Slap

Neo Member
It's a strange one to me too but i'll cope.

There's also a contingent on GAF who view anything other than checkpoint saves as being a sign of the devil and symptomatic of terrible level design.

This game is going to spank me so hard i just know it in my rusty, old man reflexes and bones. I'll be grinning like a loon each time though.

To be honest, as long as there are enough and smart checkpoints I don't see a single reason to complain.

Lack of quicksaves is something I want to applaud Interceptor for, actually. It does work to their detriment sometimes (because lack of quicksaves forces continous play, which shows some design flaws quite clearly), but you can feel that this game was not designed around pressing F9 everytime something bad happens. And that's great.

Checkpoints are usually positioned well, save for those related to platforming sections. Many of these are not fun and kill the pace of game for me, eh. Same with the bosses (defeated two so far).

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Dave said something on his twitter which might help some folk out:

'ROTT protip: Use the overworld in LOAD GAME to play the game from any point at any episode with any character on any difficulty at anytime!'

You can also play with the old soundtrack I think too (they were going to go for old sound effects and soundtrack but couldn't get it for launch)

If people have complaints make them known, Dave and the rest of the team are very keen to listen to feedback, keep working on the game and see what folks like/don't like. It's just the beginning, not the end :)

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
Isn't there a Rise of the Triad review scores thread? :)

EDIT: And someone linked our review. It's a 9 for us. Just in case anyone's interested. PC World gave it a 4.5, too.

Top Bottom