• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

Kritz

Banned
And why is this? It's a perfectly grammatical sentence. It's a chiefly British way of speaking, but that follows since the game was localized by a team including Rhianna Pratchett. Everybody trying to hold up the game as some sort of quasi-translated piece of Euro kitsch is barking up the wrong tree. This, like Risen 1 before it, is a quality British script and dub using professional actors.

Though whomever did the subtitles for the game didn't agree with you!

I think some people (on both sides of the fence) missed the point of my stupid little video. That is to say, there wasn't much of one. Nobody should be judging the game's quality based off me trying to break the game. I guess people would rather just outright avoid a game because someone said something bad about it, or conversely, go all pitchfork at those who say the bad things. Some dudes here don't seem to have a middle ground.

So, more about the game now I've been dicking around on the other side of the island.

- I have a gun now. Much like the sand, its chances of hitting enemies are based off your stats. So you end up in ludicrous situations where you've missed hitting a target right in front of you. I think I already said this in a previous post.

- The game has next to no load times when you're running about, which is actually really amazing. Even the Witcher 2 stopped to load after exiting a city or something. In this game I can just duck into a cave and it'll go, even without resorting to camera trickery by placing doors between each area.

- I'm starting to feel morally bankrupt due to the sheer amount of animal slaughter in this game. Like, I'm talking to this pirate to convince him to do something for me, but I only have 900 gloary. So I exit out, take a hundred metre run, slaughter an entire family of monkeys - passive baby monkeys included - and return, well vested in the art of speech. Video games!

- The quests so far are pretty terrible. The voice acting is great, mind you. But the actual quest actions are rubbish. For example, one quest seemed right out of every MMO to ever exist. I had to go and kill 10 WORKERS TERMITES and 3 COMBAT TERMITES, collect 7 bags of sugar from them (in a nearby cave), and then return to the quest giver. Every time I killed them I got a little popup marking my progress, and every time it happened it reminded me of World of Warcraft or some other equally bad game. A lot of other quests end up being the fetchquest type. I'm not really sure what I expected, as this structure is pretty typical in every other RPG (e.g., Skyrim) but it's just not really doing much for me.

- Combat with nonhumans is still god awful. You know what's funny? When you first enter combat in the game, it gives you two things. It tells you how to execute a three hit combo (by hitting the one attack button you have, three times) and it tells you to parry. It tells you this immediately before - seconds, in fact - attacking your first group of enemies. Parry does absolutely nothing to them. It teaches you a mechanic immediately before facing a situation where the mechanic will get you killed if you try it. So, back at my point, you cannot block non-human enemies because they do not use swords. Fair enough. This just means that the entirety of combat against nonhuman enemies, from monkeys to spiders to jaguars to termites is spamming the mouse1 button over, and over and over.

- Combat with humans is still god awful. For pretty much the opposite reasons. All you do is permanently hold the block button down, and you parry every single attack except the occasional one the game won't let you because ???? design choices. Now, I've been grinding out quests so that human combat is mind numbingly easy. But even still, it's just holding down the block button, and when you get a free moment (and by "get" I mean "the enemy attacks you at random so now's as good a time as any") you do the three hit combo on them. Sometimes now I can use my gun. Most of the times it misses, but when it doesn't, it takes off like five times as much as my sword. So that makes combat go faster, I suppose, which is the thing you'd want it to do.

- There seems to be no penalty at all for walking into someone's house, beating them senseless and stealing all of their things. At least in the pirate area. So, you don't seem to be able to kill NPCs while fighting, as once they drop down to 1/20th health they fall to the ground and become passive. This allows you to just rob them of their belongings. When they come to, and stand up, they have the text "OFFENDED" above their heads. Walking away for a few minutes restores this to normal. I had fought the gun dealer in the pirate area, stolen all his shit, went off to kill some native wildlife, come back 5 minutes later and he's right as rain and wants to sell me some guns and do the world's most terrible duckhunt minigame. Weird.

- Oh jesus the minigames. There's a drinking minigame where you have to click some bottles. The bottles don't move. They're just there, in front of you. You have a cursor. Each bottle you click makes a filter apply to your screen, but the bottles are still entirely visible. Sometimes, at random, you will not pick up a bottle and you will have to wait for 3-4 seconds for one to materialise in front of you. Then you click it. That is the minigame.

- Conversely, the duck hunt minigame is SO FUCKING HARD. You get bottles thrown across your screen and you have to click on them. I guess all my clicking on stationary objects ruined me, because I totally sucked at this game. I still won, somehow, despite clearly breaking the guy's own rules for how the game was played (if you miss three in a row he's supposed to fail you - yet I missed eight in a row and he was fine. Pirates can't count, maybe?)

- I threw a coconut at a monkey.

- Also, if you throw a coconut at something, you have forever lost that coconut. I don't think this is how coconuts work. Game balance!

- The load times are terrible. Thankfully I only seem to load after jumping off things to my death. Something like 15 seconds on an otherwise competent computer.

I still kind of like this game, even if I can't think of many reasons as to why I do. It's nice to look at, the voice acting is alright, and mindless animal slaughter is appealing in a Two Worlds 2 kind of way.

So, there's that. I think more people should post impressions of this game, because I am certainly not doing the best job at selling people it. As much as I hate the phrase, the game is definitely "more than the sum of its parts". Because its parts are mostly rubbish, but as an experience it's certainly still enjoyable. So, it has that going for it!

EDIT: Fuck why is this mess on the fifth page. :(

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
7 hours in and the combat is getting worse as I level up.

None of the abilities get through enemy attacks. Every single swing at you is a stun lock hit. Every single fight is just running in a circle till the enemy AI decides it wants to stop attacking you and then mashing M1 until they start swinging again. It is officially the worst combat I've ever encountered in 27 years of gaming. The. Worst.

Note this is primarily referring to nonhumans, fights against humans, where you can sort of defend yourself are a tiny bit better.

Pyrrhus

Make sure you use the Oyster Shells you find on the beach. You have a 10% or so chance of getting a pearl from one of them. Those sell for 50 gold each. This is calculated at the time you use the item, so it can be abused by save scumming if you wish.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
I really have no clue why they changed the combat to this. I'd be enjoying the game so much more if it weren't for that.

I think all the huge changed they've made and all the dumping down including the change in combat are because of Risen 1 reviews ,I remember sites and journalists destroying the game completely(Eruogamer gave it 40 or something,other said the combat is broken, official xbox said it was the worst game on 360..ect)

pilonv1

I think all the huge changed they've made and all the dumping down including the change in combat are because of Risen 1 reviews ,I remember sites and journalists destroying the game completely(Eruogamer gave it 40 or something,other said the combat is broken, official xbox said it was the worst game on 360..ect)

That doesn't explain the change to this setup. The inability to avoid attacks is just ridiculous.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is it supposed to be raining during all these thunderstorms? It certainly isn't for me...

Anyway, narrative-wise, shit just got real around the 8 hour mark. Getting interesting, indeed.

Pyrrhus

Learning to do strong attacks helps a lot with the fights. Fights are still anything but elegant but at least you cover a lot of ground and hit fairly safely with the strong strikes.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I was having fun before (despite the combat), but I'm really loving this game now that I have my own boat. I'm still not keen on the combat, but this is a great adventure game. Some of the longer non-combat quests are really fun. The dialogue and voice acting are really excellent. Some hilarious lines in there.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Something feels wrong about this game. I played Risen for 4 hours straight when I started it but I can't play this game more than 40 minutes. It just feels wrong.

I'm glad that I spent less than 20$ on it.

pilonv1

None of the abilities get through enemy attacks. Every single swing at you is a stun lock hit. Every single fight is just running in a circle till the enemy AI decides it wants to stop attacking you and then mashing M1 until they start swinging again. It is officially the worst combat I've ever encountered in 27 years of gaming. The. Worst.

Note this is primarily referring to nonhumans, fights against humans, where you can sort of defend yourself are a tiny bit better.

100% agreed, and it's making my sessions with this game incredibly short. It just becomes too frustrating otherwise.

eXistor

I'm getting confused here. Risen is one of the best games ever. Surely they can't have messed the sequel up?
I've not played that much yet, but so far it's a worthy sequel. The things I wanted to be good are good (world design and exploration) and the things that were bad are still bad (combat, technical faults). But seeing as these games are not combat rpg's, this really doesn't affect me much. I just want to run around and explore, so far the game is giving me this. The combat sucks, sure, but it's more than manageable (so far).

It's a European rpg through and through (you have to take the good with the bad). It's easy to pick up and play, like Risen 1 was (really not sure how people consider the Risen series to be deep and complicated, they're really simple).

The 3 hours I've played have been a blast and if the game keeps up it'll prove to be a solid sequel.

NIN90

I actually remember really liking Risen's combat. You had to sidestep around the enemy and block attacks and wait for an opening. Am I right that they removed sidestepping in Risen 2?

Sentenza

Though whomever did the subtitles for the game didn't agree with you!

I think some people (on both sides of the fence) missed the point of my stupid little video. That is to say, there wasn't much of one. Nobody should be judging the game's quality based off me trying to break the game. I guess people would rather just outright avoid a game because someone said something bad about it, or conversely, go all pitchfork at those who say the bad things. Some dudes here don't seem to have a middle ground.
It's not about having a middle ground, it's about being fair to the game's mertis. Plenty of people here recognized and even pointed the game's flaws. But that's a thing, and trying to depict the whole experience as if it was "so hilariously bad that it's almost good" as you are doing is anything but fair.
Risen 2 is a solid game, with some annoying flaws but plenty of strong selling points.
Exploration and loot collecting still are rewarding like in very few games outside Piranha Byte's productions.
You were attempting to mock parts of the game that aren't broken. Furiously clicking over a NPC makes him repeat the same sentence quick? Big fucking deal.
I call this "trying too hard".

So, more about the game now I've been dicking around on the other side of the island.

- I have a gun now. Much like the sand, its chances of hitting enemies are based off your stats. So you end up in ludicrous situations where you've missed hitting a target right in front of you. I think I already said this in a previous post.
Nothing wrong with it. it works as intended and it's not even particularly unrealistic.

- I'm starting to feel morally bankrupt due to the sheer amount of animal slaughter in this game. Like, I'm talking to this pirate to convince him to do something for me, but I only have 900 gloary. So I exit out, take a hundred metre run, slaughter an entire family of monkeys - passive baby monkeys included - and return, well vested in the art of speech. Video games!
yes, it's a pirate game where you can slaughter plenty of savage beasts and unsurprinsingly no one cares. What you were expecting, exactly?

- The quests so far are pretty terrible. The voice acting is great, mind you. But the actual quest actions are rubbish. For example, one quest seemed right out of every MMO to ever exist. I had to go and kill 10 WORKERS TERMITES and 3 COMBAT TERMITES, collect 7 bags of sugar from them (in a nearby cave), and then return to the quest giver. Every time I killed them I got a little popup marking my progress, and every time it happened it reminded me of World of Warcraft or some other equally bad game. A lot of other quests end up being the fetchquest type. I'm not really sure what I expected, as this structure is pretty typical in every other RPG (e.g., Skyrim) but it's just not really doing much for me.
this is so bullshit.
That's a slain quest over dozens where you actually have some degree of social interaction with other NPCs. If anything the average quests in this game are way above the average of the RPG genre, especially when we are considering recent titles.

- Combat with nonhumans is still god awful. You know what's funny? When you first enter combat in the game, it gives you two things. It tells you how to execute a three hit combo (by hitting the one attack button you have, three times) and it tells you to parry. It tells you this immediately before - seconds, in fact - attacking your first group of enemies. Parry does absolutely nothing to them. It teaches you a mechanic immediately before facing a situation where the mechanic will get you killed if you try it. So, back at my point, you cannot block non-human enemies because they do not use swords. Fair enough. This just means that the entirety of combat against nonhuman enemies, from monkeys to spiders to jaguars to termites is spamming the mouse1 button over, and over and over.
Oh, at least a point that is very true and a very silly mistake from the developers.

- Combat with humans is still god awful. For pretty much the opposite reasons. All you do is permanently hold the block button down, and you parry every single attack except the occasional one the game won't let you because ???? design choices. Now, I've been grinding out quests so that human combat is mind numbingly easy. But even still, it's just holding down the block button, and when you get a free moment (and by "get" I mean "the enemy attacks you at random so now's as good a time as any") you do the three hit combo on them. Sometimes now I can use my gun. Most of the times it misses, but when it doesn't, it takes off like five times as much as my sword. So that makes combat go faster, I suppose, which is the thing you'd want it to do.
beside hyperbolas, almost entirely true. Except it's not really that easy and when they broke your guard the reasons are pretty obvious.

EDIT.

I actually remember really liking Risen's combat. You had to sidestep around the enemy and block attacks and wait for an opening. Am I right that they removed sidestepping in Risen 2?
They didn't exactly remove it, but made it far less practical to use, so now it's virtually pointless.

I've not played that much yet, but so far it's a worthy sequel. The things I wanted to be good are good (world design and exploration) and the things that were bad are still bad (combat, technical faults). But seeing as these games are not combat rpg's, this really doesn't affect me much. I just want to run around and explore, so far the game is giving me this. The combat sucks, sure, but it's more than manageable (so far).

It's a European rpg through and through (you have to take the good with the bad)
It's easy to pick up and play, like Risen 1 was (really not sure how people consider the Risen series to be deep and complicated, they're really simple).

The 3 hours I've played have been a blast and if the game keeps up it'll prove to be a solid sequel.

This makes it sound like more of the same content that Risen had. Which is great for me and fans of the first game.

Quite a few people on Gaf loved the first one too.

syllogism

If you side with the inquisition, do you ever get access to brew potions skill? And if you go voodoo, do you ever get the best muskets?

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death

Why are you using your sword on those creatures then? Just buy a musket and some bullets This guy sells you one.

D3E49FDDDAD9497CA58A9A5FA18AF227994EDA2F

Orin GA

If you side with the inquisition, do you ever get access to brew potions skill? And if you go voodoo, do you ever get the best muskets?

That's what it seems like. I chose the Voodoo path and haven't run into a musket trainer or found another muskeet aside from the one sold by Thompkins.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wouldn't say that. We need input from gaffers who've played through both games.

Risen is one of my favorite games in recent years, and even though I think they screwed up the combat in this game, I'm still thoroughly enjoying it. Just like all Piranha Bytes game, it really has an amazing sense of place. I'm having fun with the pirate setting, too. The dialogue and voice acting come together to make for a lot of fun characters. All-in-all, it's a great adventure game with some really fun quests in interesting locales. I'm 12 hours in right now, but I still haven't found a way to enjoy the combat very much. Instead of being more skill-based like the original Risen, this one seems to be much more about raising your stats and using exploits to take advantage of enemies.

Hamplin

Banned
The thing I've always loved about the PB games is how you have to use different tactics depending on type of wildlife and their attack patterns, putting the focus on skill rather than character abilities. Are ppl saying there is none of this at all? I understand that not being able to dodge takes away from this, but surely it is possible to find combinations of attacks that works better than others depending on enemy? I'd hate it if PB starts to shy away from this.
Edit: Also, I am interested to know if timing attacks is as critical as it is in previous games?

fushi

I just wanted to make a post in support of you and your video because I know exactly where you are coming from. Loving a game and loving to break said game in a multitude of ways are not mutually exclusive.

Taking on interesting quests, learning new skills, becoming engrossed in the plot, appreciating the nice vistas, defeating monsters that 10 hours earlier were an absolute nightmare to even approach -- all the good "real game" stuff I loved in the first Risen -- were done alongside some ridiculously stupid stuff like sleeping in random people's beds, stealing useless stuff, playing around with the occasionally broken AI and floating around with that spell for no good reason, except for the fact that I can do that -- were all part of the Risen experience for me.

And for some reason I managed to keep both of these things completely separate in forming my general, very positive opinion of the game. All those silly things (or "jank", if you will)just added bits and pieces of fun to stir up the experience even more.

I haven't bought Risen 2 yet, though. Waiting for RPS' "Wot I think" to see if I am willing to pay full price for the game or buy it at discount like I did with the first one. But that has nothing to do with the game being a bit broken here and there and a lot more with all those elements that can ruin a grand experience like that, combat being a prime example. Very basic elements being broken in a game is something I can't always manage to accept.

But from what I gather, people do tend to feel that the exploratory parts and story are up at the level of the first one, yes?

Labadal

After nine hour of playtime, I must say that I'm still enjoying the game. The combat is crappy, but I like the rest of the game. Exploring is fun, voice acting isn't terrible, background music is ok, graphics are ok, and there are some fun quests. There are fetch quests too, but for a lot of them, I already had the items needed to complete the quest, because I was exploring. Someone mentioned the quest where you have to kill 10 termite workers and 3 termite warriors. I killed them while exploring, and I had no idea they were part of a quest before I killed the first one.

I always have a companion with me when possible, so that reduces my annoyance with the battle system.

The game might not be on the same level as Risen, but it is still very enjoyable.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Why are you using your sword on those creatures then? Just buy a musket and some bullets This guy sells you one.

Yea why use one of the three combat trees in the game. It's fine that it's broken cause there is this other one that is slightly less broken but no more fun.

Orin GA

Yea why use one of the three combat trees in the game. It's fine that it's broken cause there is this other one that is slightly less broken but no more fun.

The game tells you that sword combat wont work well with some of the creatures. If you want to stick to one combat style then you only have yourself to blame. As you lvl up your character, the amount of DPS you can do with a sword will vastly outdo your guns, but the point is you cant just rely on hacking your enemies to death early in the game.

There are going to be times when you are out numbered 4 to 1. You gonna hack one guy to bits while the other three have their way with you. Or are you gonna keep your distance and pick them off with your muskeet/voodoo?

And there is nothing broken about using the musket. You aim and you fire, you wait 2 seconds and do it all over again. That's it.

Orin GA

On Maracai Island

DO NOT DO "THE DESERTER QUEST" DO NOT DO "THE DESERTER QUEST"

Even though it is possible to continue after doing this quest (although VERY hard) It believe it breaks an entire section of the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Blew my whole day playing this. 18 hours in now and loving every minute since I got my own ship. Some really great characters, quests and dialogue in this. Melee combat still sucks balls, though. How did they screw it up so badly after going in a good direction with the original game? Oh well.

Also, <3 Gnomes! They are hilarious in this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Risen is one of my favorite RPG's. This is not "more or less on the level" of Risen. It's not even close.

I disagree with that. The melee combat is shit for sure, but this is another very interesting world with a great story and great characters.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I kind of regret going with voodoo. It's provided me with some very fun quests and storage usage, but combat-wise it's not all that useful. Maybe I'm just not investing enough into it? I feel like going with muskets would have been a lot better for combat purposes.

Pyrrhus

Why does the "Crow's Ship" quest get cancelled if I try to go into Puerta Isabella? All I want to do is buy some better gear.

-SD-

Banned
It's distracting as fuck. Trees grow and shrink right in front of me. Any way to combat this?
Already been mentioned in this thread but, here it is again:

1. Make a backup copy of C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\risen 2\data\ini\ConfigDefault.xml
2. Open ConfigDefault.xml with Notepad.
3. Replace the original values with these:
Code:
<High
				Item_Small="4000.0"
				Item_Medium="8000.0"
				Item_Large="12000.0"
				NPC_Small="4000.0"
				NPC_Medium="8000.0"
				NPC_Large="12000.0"
				Level_Small="7000.0"
				Level_Medium="12500.0"
				Level_Large="18000.0"
				Object_Small="3000.0"
				Object_Medium="9000.0"
				Object_Large="14000.0"
				SpeedTree_Small="6000.0"
				SpeedTree_Medium="14000.0"
				SpeedTree_Large="25000.0"
				Events_Small="6000.0"
				Events_Medium="10000.0"
				Events_Large="15000.0"
				Effects_Small="7000.0"
				Effects_Medium="15000.0"
				Effects_Large="25000.0"
				Lights="14000.0"
				Terrain="200000.0"				
			>
			</High>
4. Set all of the in-game settings to maximum, if you haven't done so already.

That tweak does not fully eliminate the growing and shrinking, but it makes it less annoying.

R1CHO

I am disappointed with Piranha, a lot of bad design decisions, after 15 years they should be mastering the formula, not fucking things more.

Yes, you can have a nice time playing Risen2, it has some nice things and all that, but it leaves a bad taste...

how to lock pick?

You need a lockpick, then you need level 4 of cunning, then you have to train the skill with Largo or another guy.

This is one of the problems of the game... The skill system is a serious decision, where are you going to invest your precious gold and exp points? Thats not bad in itself, yeah, you have to think well your character progression, the problem is the balance, as the combat is fucking horrible, you feel from the moment you take a shotgun that firearms are a lot more powerful, so you don't really have interest on investing your exp on blade-arms just for the vague promise of some skills that may or may not improve the combat experience...

Top Bottom