• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen 2 |OT| Set sail for awesome!

R1CHO

11 years, actually. Gothic was released in 2001.

Well, the team is not the same as all those years ago.

I guess they didn't start the development in 2001 though ;)

Anyway, i just feel like there are several bad design decisions... because the game has nice components, but the assembly its not that good.

I love their games (yes, including gothic3) and i understand that is a small studio and all that, but i cant help but feeling disappointed with this :( Maybe its me and i am being over pessimistic... or maybe the game gets me with the exploration of the next areas, i hope so.

I dont know if its because I have nostalgia goggles, but I remember risen 1 being beautiful outdoors on pc yet fugly in risen 2. in particular trees, shadows and items flickering in and out of view constantly

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I dont know if its because I have nostalgia goggles, but I remember risen 1 being beautiful outdoors on pc yet fugly in risen 2. in particular trees, shadows and items flickering in and out of view constantly

Risen 1 has series lod issues with draw distance (really obvious when you manually increased it) as well and I couldn't get the mods that supposedly fixed the far lod textures to work.

Midou

So I finally started to play a bit, I clicked endlessly to win a fight because there didn't seem to be a dodge or block mechanic, does the combat get better?

On Maracai Island

DO NOT DO "THE DESERTER QUEST" DO NOT DO "THE DESERTER QUEST"

Even though it is possible to continue after doing this quest (although VERY hard) It believe it breaks an entire section of the game.

What does it break? Did you try reloading and doing the quest again?
I tried to google risen 2 the deserter but your post was the only thing that showed up. I haven't done that quest yet but hopefully it's not a widespread issue.

Pyrrhus

yes, i cant figure out the lock picking part, i go left to right but it wont open the chest.

You have to move to the tumblers in a particular order. Some of them will cause all the tumblers to fall again if you move to them. So those are the ones you want to move to last. There's one correct order that you have to work out.

After reading through all the complaints in this thread, I decided to watch a few Let's Play videos on YouTube...and I honestly don't understand what everyone is going on about. The game looks great, seems to run well, the story/characters/setting/VA all seem good, the combat seems like it might be a click-fest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you like that kind of combat. Granted, I haven't actually played any of Risen 2 yet myself, but I think this thread might be meandering down an overly critical path. Based on the LP videos I watched, it actually seems like a really good game.

Labadal

After reading through all the complaints in this thread, I decided to watch a few Let's Play videos on YouTube...and I honestly don't understand what everyone is going on about. The game looks great, seems to run well, the story/characters/setting/VA all seem good, the combat seems like it might be a click-fest, but that's not necessarily a bad thing if you like that kind of combat. Granted, I haven't actually played any of Risen 2 yet myself, but I think this thread might be meandering down an overly critical path. Based on the LP videos I watched, it actually seems like a really good game.

I'll say it again: Other than the poor combat, the game is good. The thing is, combat is very important to many people. For me, the exploration is the most important part.

Hambone

Yeah, i don't get it. To each his\her own I guess.

The game is heaps of fun, and I can't wait 'till I get home to play more. The adventuring and exploration of the islands is hands down the best part. The few islands I have been on are well crafted.The voice overs are good. Works awesome with a gamepad. The pirate theme is cool. BUT...

The combat has made me rage a couple of times, and could use a overhaul, but than Gothic II, Gothic III, and Risen made me feel the same way about their combat.

I haven't had a single crash, and performance is good @ 1080p on my older hardware. (AthlonX2 6400+, Radeon 5770). I did have one major questline bug out, and had to look it up online for a work around.

Pyrrhus

I do wish somebody would mod the combat. Even something as simple make enemies stagger more when struck would help.

Also, I feel like I should be getting skins off these jaguars and claws and teeth from other monsters. Is there a way to do that in this game?

syllogism

I do wish somebody would mod the combat. Even something as simple make enemies stagger more when struck would help.

Also, I feel like I should be getting skins off these jaguars and claws and teeth from other monsters. Is there a way to do that in this game?
You need to buy the right tools to get monster trophies. There are 4 tools, I think.

Orin GA

I wish I could hat you to death
I am so glad i chose the Voodoo route

- Permanent Stat Potions
- Selling Voodoo Trinkets for some nice cash (Just sold and made 40 Feather Earrings for 400 gold each)
- Greatly Boost the effects of temporary potions.

The lock picking mini game is great as well. At first i didnt know wtf i was doing but then it sort of clicked.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The combat is just frustrating because there is no way to reliably avoid taking damage since your character is so goddamn sluggish and priority is given to animations, so whatever command you input will not process until the current animation is finished. You had the dodge move in Risen, which allowed for you to skillfully avoid enemy attacks, but in Risen 2 you either have to run around like a madman, or just stand there and get hit while trying to get your own attacks in.

They have these big giant crab monsters that can be knocked over when kicked, but this only works when they are charging up their power attack. It makes sense to try and take advantage of this exploit, so you'll get in close and try to time your kick correctly. Unfortunately, the crabs also have a normal attack with a very quick animation. Kicking them while they do their normal attack does nothing. You also can't avoid the normal attack if you are close enough to kick them. It's just really frustrating.

The lock picking mini game is great as well. At first i didnt know wtf i was doing but then it sort of clicked.

Once you figure out what to do, the lock picking mini game is kind of entertaining. It still feels a bit pointless, though. You can't "lose" at it, nor is there any downside to taking your time. This, along with the out-of-the-blue "press spacebar or die" QTE's are two of the new additions that I think were completely unnecessary.

syllogism

I am so glad i chose the Voodoo route

- Permanent Stat Potions
- Selling Voodoo Trinkets for some nice cash (Just sold and made 40 Feather Earrings for 400 gold each)
- Greatly Boost the effects of temporary potions.

You can learn brew potions and ritual 1-2 later on even if you go inquisition. I think you can get one of the best (or the best?) musket even if you go voodoo, however.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
You can learn brew potions and ritual 1-2 later on even if you go inquisition. I think you can get one of the best (or the best?) musket even if you go voodoo, however.

Any idea where to get a musket? I haven't been able to find a single one and I'm 20 hours into the game.

Can anyone tell me where the save files are stored? I did a little digging and couldn't find them. I'm kind of OCD and the whole huge list of saves isn't cool, so I was going to do some spring cleaning on those saves. Reminds me of how Witcher 1 would make infinite saves too. (but it would actually bog down load times after it would reach enough of them)

eXistor

Aside from the combat, which does indeed blow chunks, the game is freaking awesome. There's a bunch of technical problems and other slight niggles (they do add up), but if you're able to look past all that you'll find an amazing world to explore. I'm having just as much fun with this as I did with Risen 1, learning the lay of the land never gets old. Another great game from Pyranha Bytes as far as I'm concerned. Other developers should look at their games and learn a thing or two about world-building.

Orin GA

So after scouring each island from top to bottom for crap to kill, I ended up with these stats:

If I was able to change anything that i did it would be leaving cunning at Lvl 6. Lvl 9 is just overkill especially with the thief stat boost items you find later. Also, i did the treasure Island DLC last. I had no idae there was a 10% Glory boost Relic there. I still need to make those stat potions and make some more jewelry.

53028B1C880A75E39A728EAD70578F1A5F73DC3C

syllogism

Awesome. I just made it there last night.
Actually apparently you can only side with the other guy who doesn't give a musket as a reward if you aren't with the inquisition

I did that and I didn't get a musket. I guess it depends what chief you joined up with. What were the stats?
Yes, there are two chief candidates, but it seems your faction determines which you can side with

Tanolen

Can anyone tell me where the save files are stored? I did a little digging and couldn't find them. I'm kind of OCD and the whole huge list of saves isn't cool, so I was going to do some spring cleaning on those saves. Reminds me of how Witcher 1 would make infinite saves too. (but it would actually bog down load times after it would reach enough of them)

Under c:/users/(username)/saved games/risen 2

About the game, I'm really enjoying it, combat sucks but once i learned to expoit monsters and paths and got what I think is the best sword in the game it became pretty fun. Trick is to always have a partner with you to be your tank.

When running around solo it is a major pain in the ass though espacially on
Isle of the Dead
don't know what the designers were thinking, this is the worst part of the game by far that I have experienced.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder if they gimped your abilities in combat in this game because you have a partner for a lot of the time.

Orin GA

Does the fact that pistol has two barrels mean anything?

Edit woot! Found a way to unbug the marcia village / fire temple entrance quest. Now i can go to the fire temp area :)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Does the fact that pistol has two barrels mean anything?

Edit woot! Found a way to unbug the marcia village / fire temple entrance quest. Now i can go to the fire temp area :)

I don't think so... I bought "The Twins", but they seem worse than my normal pistol since I miss more due to the -10 pistol skill in comparison.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
So is the story a satisfying follow up to the ending of Risen 1? I was pleased in the beta that quite a few characters returned and that we finally get to meet at least one who had been name dropped.

Also, does the Don play a role at all?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So is the story a satisfying follow up to the ending of Risen 1? I was pleased in the beta that quite a few characters returned and that we finally get to meet at least one who had been name dropped.

Also, does the Don play a role at all?

It takes place a few years after Risen 1. I personally wouldn't say the follow-up is satisfying. It's definitely a continuation, but the intro is rather anti-climactic considering how things looked at the end of the original. A lot of things that changed seem to go unexplained, too. I'm still not finished yet, so their may be some explanation later.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Like where the swag Titan Armor went?

Armor in general for that matter! Where the hell did shields go, too? Suddenly everyone in the world decides to take up fencing as their main fighting style?

Also, I haven't found a proper explanation for why magic suddenly disappeared, or where all of these firearms came from all of the sudden.

Also... why did the main dude forget how to dodge?

Sentenza

It takes place a few years after Risen 1. I personally wouldn't say the follow-up is satisfying. It's definitely a continuation, but the intro is rather anti-climactic considering how things looked at the end of the original. A lot of things that changed seem to go unexplained, too. I'm still not finished yet, so their may be some explanation later.
I thought the exact opposite.
They made a great job forcing an explanation for (almost) everything that changed since the first one, even if it's clear that in the end they just wanted the pirate setting.

For instance we know who invented fire weapons a few years back (Godin, and he was a minor character in Risen, now he's some sort of national hero).
We also know why there aren't mages anymore (traditional magic stopped working after you destroyed the fire titan and mages were banished soon after that).

On top of that, there's also a pretty decent explanation about why the main character is so weak and out of shape at the beginning of the game ((Mendoza's monocle was cursed, to extract it the hero lost an eye and suffered great pain and since then he spent almost every night drowning in rum to cloud the senses).

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the exact opposite.
They made a great job forcing an explanation for (almost) everything that changed since the first one, even if it's clear that in the end they just wanted the pirate setting.

For instance we know who invented fire weapons a few years back (Godin, and he was a minor character in Risen, now he's some sort of national hero).
We also know why there aren't mages anymore (traditional magic stopped working after you destroyed the fire titan and mages were banished soon after that).

On top of that, there's also a pretty decent explanation about why the main character is so weak and out of shape at the beginning of the game ((Mendoza's monocle was cursed, to extract it the hero lost an eye and suffered great pain and since then he spent almost every night drowning in rum to cloud the senses).

Where is it explained the monocle was cursed? I must have missed taht.

I didn't remember Godin from the first game, but that's a cool reference. I know he invented firearms, but doesn't this take place just two years after the first game? Seems crazy how widespread they are.

Also, magic actually stopped working? I heard about the mages being banished, but I didn't know magic no longer even existed.

Sounds like I missed out on a few things (unless they are explained later in the game).

Orin GA

Are there any Schematics that use the Jesters Cap, Sharpeye, or Hero's Crown? I cant seem to find any. Probably on one of those 2 voodoo ladies that disappear as the game progresses. (ONE WHICH HAD ONE OF THOSE LEGENDARY RELICS) or in some unfounded chest.

Haunted

Man, this thread doesn't inspire confidence.

I guess I'll wait a bit longer until I get this... sounds like this needs some severe patching.

7 hours in and the combat is getting worse as I level up.

None of the abilities get through enemy attacks. Every single swing at you is a stun lock hit. Every single fight is just running in a circle till the enemy AI decides it wants to stop attacking you and then mashing M1 until they start swinging again. It is officially the worst combat I've ever encountered in 27 years of gaming. The. Worst.

Note this is primarily referring to nonhumans, fights against humans, where you can sort of defend yourself are a tiny bit better.
Worse than in Risen 1?

Surely you jest.

Sentenza

Where is it explained the monocle was cursed? I must have missed taht.
At the very beginning of the game, when you still are in Caldera and you talk to the guard asking for an honest report of what people say about you.

I didn't remember Godin from the first game, but that's a cool reference. I know he invented firearms, but doesn't this take place just two years after the first game? Seems crazy how widespread they are.
I'm not sure if they even bothered giving an exact amount of time since the first game, but somewhere I read that are supposedly seven years.
And about firearms being "widespread", well... It's actually a setting where humanity is on the verge of extinction, so I guess it's not too hard to make something quite common among the few survivors.

Also, magic actually stopped working? I heard about the mages being banished, but I didn't know magic no longer even existed.
I'm almost sure they state it quite clearly at some point: voodoo is the only form of magic actually working at the moment. Maybe they said it in some loading screen?
I can't remember exactly, but they say it somewhere.

Tanolen

Just beat the game, overall I had a pretty good time. Suprised at how short it was, only took me 20 hours doing most of the quests vs. 32 hours on risen 1.

My main complaints are not being able to dodge, or block monster attacks and so far it doesn't look like you can continue after beating the game.

Wakim

So, based on the coments, I guess I won't be getting shield. I do like the dirty tricks options with the off-hand at least.

Question - Been in the swrod coast for a while, and still haven't found a map. Anyone remember where I can pick on up?

yarden24

So, based on the coments, I guess I won't be getting shield. I do like the dirty tricks options with the off-hand at least.

Question - Been in the swrod coast for a while, and still haven't found a map. Anyone remember where I can pick on up?

theres one in a cave with some enemys in it, the northest part, on the western side, its west of where you land at the beggining

RiverBed

Banned
Noob question:
Was Risen a WOW/Middle Earth traditional fantasy and Risen 2 added pirates?
What is the main differences between the two?

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Noob question:
Was Risen a WOW/Middle Earth traditional fantasy and Risen 2 added pirates?
What is the main differences between the two?

Risen one had a good bit of piratey stuff too. It was like a one-size-fits-all fantasy game and it actually worked quite well.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any way to tell in game if I have the pre-order bonus island/DLC thing? I tried activating the code, but it comes out invalid on Steam... I may have activated it already and forgotten, though.

Orin GA

Is there any way to tell in game if I have the pre-order bonus island/DLC thing? I tried activating the code, but it comes out invalid on Steam... I may have activated it already and forgotten, though.

Right click on game > View Downloadable Content. If you bought it on steam it should have already been integrated.

Risen one had a good bit of piratey stuff too. It was like a one-size-fits-all fantasy game and it actually worked quite well.

For those who played Gothic 2, you'll recall the expansion was heavily pirate themed. I think PB really wanted to do a pirate theme. They've done a good job too I'm loving the game.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Right click on game > View Downloadable Content. If you bought it on steam it should have already been integrated.

Damn. It looks like the code GMG gave me doesn't work. I've submitted a claim with them.

Hopefully they can respond within the day. I'm nearing the end of the game and would like to play through the DLC before I finish it.

If I enjoyed the hell of of exploration in Risen 1, will I enjoy Risen 2? I heard it is a bit less open world than the first, and also a bit dumbed down.

Top Bottom