• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

BeeDog

Finished the game earlier today. Ending was shit, but everything up to it was good stuff (although as said before, world was a bit too small, and more chapter-specific quests wouldn't have hurt). Also (spoilers)
I fucking hate games that give you some fuck-awesome armor (the end armor/weapons), but you have absolutely nothing to use it on except the end boss (I killed pretty much EVERYTHING on the island). At least extend the game for a little bit with harder enemies or whatever so I can use the shit.

As it is now, this is how I rate the Gothic games:

Gothic 2 (incl. its expansion) >>> Gothic 1 > Risen >> Gothic 3 (haven't tried the expansion for this)

I've killed so far 2 "main" skeletons (the ones for the cursed man quest I think) : the one that gives you runeshield, and the one that gives you a big two handed sword. Is there one who drops a nice one-hand sword ? And where to find it ?

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I just started playing this today on my 9600 gt. I'm getting about 25 - 30 FPS with medium settings AF x4. It looks OK but it's really making me wish I would have pulled the trigger on the HD 5850 that showed up briefly on newegg yesterday. Now I need to wait till they come back in stock.

Regardless of the hardware performance I'm having I really enjoy this game. It's pretty tough though starting out. Not that it's a bad thing but there is certainly not any hand holding like in a lot of other RPG's. I find some of the voice acting to be hilarious (in a good way). I've spent about 3 hours playing so I'm not very far and it's already got me addicted. That is a good sign.

Thanks EviLore for making this topic. Had I not seen it here I probably would have completely missed this gem. :D

Dennis

Banned
RbBrdMan said:
I just started playing this today on my 9600 gt. I'm getting about 25 - 30 FPS with medium settings AF x4. It looks OK but it's really making me wish I would have pulled the trigger on the HD 5850 that showed up briefly on newegg yesterday. Now I need to wait till they come back in stock.

Regardless of the hardware performance I'm having I really enjoy this game. It's pretty tough though starting out. Not that it's a bad thing but there is certainly not any hand holding like in a lot of other RPG's. I find some of the voice acting to be hilarious (in a good way). I've spent about 3 hours playing so I'm not very far and it's already got me addicted. That is a good sign.

Thanks EviLore for making this topic. Had I not seen it here I probably would have completely missed this gem. :D
Yeah, that is one of the great things about GAF; being made aware of games that otherwise might fly under the radar because: a) there is little pre-release hype as the game is not of the snooze-inducing big budget games that "games journalists" likes to jizz all over, and b) the post-release barrage of bad or semi-bad reviews by reviewers that are either out of their depth or simply lazy.

Reading the reviews and seeing the scores does not exactly give the impression that Risen is one of the best games (certainly one of the best RPGs) this year so far.

somesang

JonStark said:
I've killed so far 2 "main" skeletons (the ones for the cursed man quest I think) : the one that gives you runeshield, and the one that gives you a big two handed sword. Is there one who drops a nice one-hand sword ? And where to find it ?

Not sure if it matters, but if you keep training in swords,
you can use bastard swords with one hand, and eventually two handed swords with one hand.

-Naruto-

BeeDog said:
Finished the game earlier today. Ending was shit, but everything up to it was good stuff (although as said before, world was a bit too small, and more chapter-specific quests wouldn't have hurt). Also (spoilers)
I fucking hate games that give you some fuck-awesome armor (the end armor/weapons), but you have absolutely nothing to use it on except the end boss (I killed pretty much EVERYTHING on the island). At least extend the game for a little bit with harder enemies or whatever so I can use the shit.

As it is now, this is how I rate the Gothic games:

Gothic 2 (incl. its expansion) >>> Gothic 1 > Risen >> Gothic 3 (haven't tried the expansion for this)
How long is the game? (Hours)

Artchur

Well, took the leap.. just picked this up on steam.

Btw, when you purchase a game on steam... can you always redownload it at a later point for the rest of your accounts life?

Artchur

So, picked up the game... get to the DRM activation screen... activate.. and... *drumroll*.. it asks me to activate again.

I tried twice then stopped cause I don't want to reach the activation limit. Anyone else have this problem with this game from Steam?

Artchur

Wow, this is incredibly frustrating... After cruising the forums it appears a lot of other users are having this issue today as well.

Possibly the authentication server is down... grrr... just more proof that DRM just annoys paying customers. If I had just pirated the game I would be playing it already...

@$#%

Vaporak

Wow, glad I haven't picked this up yet. I though the game didn't have any bad drm since steam normally lists that stuff, but what do you know the steam pages has been updated to say:

3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit

sorry that you took one for the team Artchur. :(

Druz

"3rd-party DRM: TAGES™
3 machine activation limit"

Really? That means when I install Windows 7 and Risen on my new hard drive, Risen isn't going to be playable... forever? That's kind of like robbery. I didn't pay for a game rental I bought the thing.

Artchur

No kidding, as much as I love Steam, this has just been a big disappointment. I thought that steam itself was a type of DRM, didn't realize I was just peeling my way through an onion... just to be left with tears.

(wow.. that was a terrible metaphor)

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Good news! When I placed my order via Amazon, originally it wasn't due to ship until the 21st or so (backordered)?
I got one of those all-too-familiar emails indicating a change in order date, but for once, it was bumped up! Should be here by Tuesday!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Asparagus said:
o_O Steam version's far more expensive as well (here anyway). Pretty bad form really.
Pretty bad form? That's almost always the case.

If you're as cheap as I am, you buy your PC games at retail.

Alex

I'm amazed how decently this runs on my PC. Well, not really, my latest PC is only a lil over a year old at this point but I'd really like to spring for a new card though, I feel so dated. :(

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
TAGES is awful. It is probably best to just get the game at retail and used a cracked exe file. Gotta love having to crack your legitimately purchased games (then again I used to almost always used noCD cracks before digital downloads came just because I hated having to insert the CD).

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zefah said:
TAGES is awful. It is probably best to just get the game at retail and used a cracked exe file. Gotta love having to crack your legitimately purchased games (then again I used to almost always used noCD cracks before digital downloads came just because I hated having to insert the CD).
There are no cracks for Risen yet. Just so you know.

Artchur

Yeah, no cracks.. searched everywhere. Unless you want to DL the entire game with a ripped ISO.. .*sigh*

Oh well, seems this is not isloated. On steam forums and Deep Silver forums this problem is cropping up all over from people who bought the game of steam today. Seems like the TAGES server is down... just like it crashed with a certain other steam game while ago.

Minsc

Gold Member
I wonder if STEAM warns you when you install Risen, that you will also be installing Tagès device drivers on to your system too?

I guess there's really no worry, Tagès is pretty tame, but I wonder if some untested corrupt protection could make its way in a STEAM game, and you wouldn't find out until too late?

Why does wiki call it Tagès anyway? I always thought it was TAGES too.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
wmat said:
There are no cracks for Risen yet. Just so you know.

Oh come on now... you can't possibly believe that can you? Any game that will be even slightly popular will be cracked before it is even in most stores. I bought it on Steam and haven't had any problems and we probably shouldn't even be talking about this sort of stuff (I know I brought it up), but I'm sure you can find something with a bit of googling.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Zefah said:
Oh come on now... you can't possibly believe that can you? Any game that will be even slightly popular will be cracked before it is even in most stores. I bought it on Steam and haven't had any problems and we probably shouldn't even be talking about this sort of stuff (I know I brought it up), but I'm sure you can find something with a bit of googling.
I know for a fact there's no crack out there. I've done my research.

Artchur

Seems like the server is fixed. Still though, this will change my attitude towards buying anything with drm from a dd service again.. :S

Polk

Zefah said:
Well you can use mini image with steam version of the game. No tages then I'd assume.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
Polk said:
Yet, there are two pirated and playable releases. One with mini image, and dvd clone.
Yeah, I guess. Might or might not work out for the anti-protection crowd.

Dineren

Banned
I've put in around six hours so far, I just finished up in Harbour town
and am at the Monastery to train as a mage. I'm going through the basic training and have to beat Aric in an arena fight, but so far I haven't gotten close to beating him. Guess I just need to be more patient, haven't had any trouble with the fights up to him, but I don't seem to be damaging him much. How high should my staff skill be? I'm at 3 right now and could probably raise it one or two more times with the money I have
. I'm really enjoying it so far, I hope it sells well.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Dineren said:
and am at the Monastery to train as a mage. I'm going through the basic training and have to beat Aric in an arena fight, but so far I haven't gotten close to beating him. Guess I just need to be more patient, haven't had any trouble with the fights up to him, but I don't seem to be damaging him much. How high should my staff skill be? I'm at 3 right now and could probably raise it one or two more times with the money I have

They push the whole staff thing on you pretty hard, but you don't actually have to use them. My character's a mage and I went swords.

dionysus

Yaldog
Dineren said:

I find your damage output is dependant upon the weapon and strength and not your skill, at least with swords that is true. Skill points add abilities.

I am now lvl 11 with hunter armor and a decent sword. I am finally starting to feel like I am more than a lowly peasant that is just 1 mistake away from death.

Flib

Dineren said:

There is another way to beat him, and also nets you his sword. Talk to some of the other people in the training yard after losing once to him.

Ok so as some of you may know I have the pc version lent out to a buddy. He absolutely loves the game. Good news.

Bad news is I got the 360 import copy, which was supposedly region free... and I can confirm 100% its NOT! So yeah I have a useless copy of Risen on 360. So I think I'm going to put it for sale for 40 so I can get some money back on that.

Man that was disssapointing... :(

slasher_thrasher21 said:
Ok so as some of you may know I have the pc version lent out to a buddy. He absolutely loves the game. Good news.

Bad news is I got the 360 import copy, which was supposedly region free... and I can confirm 100% its NOT! So yeah I have a useless copy of Risen on 360. So I think I'm going to put it for sale for 40 so I can get some money back on that.

Man that was disssapointing... :(

Sorry to hear that. $40 should sell pretty quickly.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Without having played either game, which would you recommend....this or Oblivion with Mods?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I would personally recommend this or at least playing through Oblivion unmodded once. I don't know about other people, but once I started heavily modifying Oblivion I kind of lost the will to actually play the game. I spent more time finding, downloading and setting up mods than I did actually playing the game. There are some really cool mods out there, though.

Risen offers a much more guided experience than Oblivion and I personally enjoyed it a lot more although I spent a ton more time with Oblivion. Most of that time was just exploring the world, looting houses and doing quests that weren't part of the main storyline. If you can get past the leveling system, it can be a really fun game to get immersed in. Then again, I really didn't have any other games to play at the time and I wouldn't recommend starting Oblivion in a busy season where lots of must-play titles are coming out. The main quest line is pretty weak and you will undoubtedly come off with a poor impression of the game if you just try to power through it.

I got the X360 version and it isn't as bad as I thought. Sure the graphics are pretty bad and the frame rate stutters once in awhile, but I was still pleasantly surprised. I've played only for a few hours, but so far so good.

Btw. is there any way to level up your skills without money?

koji

Sorry if this has been posted her before but is there something you can do about the camera on the PC version, gives me motion sickness... kinda sucks cause I really like playing it but especially in dungeons I get naucious. :-/

koji said:
Sorry if this has been posted her before but is there something you can do about the camera on the PC version, gives me motion sickness... kinda sucks cause I really like playing it but especially in dungeons I get naucious. :-/
Well that's strange.....The mouse wheel zooms the camera in and out. Maybe that will help

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Artchur said:
No kidding, as much as I love Steam, this has just been a big disappointment. I thought that steam itself was a type of DRM, didn't realize I was just peeling my way through an onion... just to be left with tears.

(wow.. that was a terrible metaphor)
:lol I actually liked it.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rocky_Balboa said:
I got the X360 version and it isn't as bad as I thought. Sure the graphics are pretty bad and the frame rate stutters once in awhile, but I was still pleasantly surprised. I've played only for a few hours, but so far so good.

Btw. is there any way to level up your skills without money?

There are some potions in the game that will raise your attributes and some items in the game that will give you bonuses to your skills, but the only way to spend your skill points and raise them is to spend money with various trainers. I would definitely recommend raising your thieving skills at the start (especially sneak and open locks) because you can make quite a bit of money just looting stuff.

Binabik15

This game is ruthless.

I spent 45 minutes trying to kill the two skeletons isntead of going to the bog. I finally gave up and did a suicide run away from wolves over the nearby cliff region to a chest with gold and stuff. Now I´m trying to get there, but stingrats slaughter me. They´re pretty hard, I can´t dogde their attacks for my life :/

Binabik15

Naeblish said:
Just hang in there, pretty soon you will be killing stingrats with one crossbow bolt. It gets way awesome.

But I want to do this without pussying out and going to the bog/harbour :lol

So a sword and nothing else will have to do (except if there´s some nice loot around the house where you meet Jan).

koji

Cat in the Hat said:
Well that's strange.....The mouse wheel zooms the camera in and out. Maybe that will help

Hmm, will try to play a bit more zoomed out not easy when you're dungeon crawling though! :D

Binabik15 said:
But I want to do this without pussying out and going to the bog/harbour :lol

So a sword and nothing else will have to do (except if there´s some nice loot around the house where you meet Jan).

There is a shield hidden early on;
somewhere around the first ruin you come across, right opposite the entrance behind the bushes is a grave with a shield on it, it's on some kind of ledge hidden away a bit, before you reach Jans house IIRC, it's the ruin with the floor that caves in, scout that area around it, it's also the first time you encounter grave motts or how they might be called

Top Bottom