• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

Hammer24

Banned
I really don´t get the hate the 360 version is catching. You´ll only have worse textures compared to a real highend rig, and the gameplay is the same anyways.
Well, at least I´m enjoying it. :)

Raggy

Banned
Is it really worth waiting until you are 100 STR/DEX before quaffing your STR/DEX potions.

I'm at lvl 25 now, and I still only got 50 in STR, which means it will be 5 levels before I have 100 in it. Isn't the game over by then?

Riddler

Raggy said:
Is it really worth waiting until you are 100 STR/DEX before quaffing your STR/DEX potions.

I'm at lvl 25 now, and I still only got 50 in STR, which means it will be 5 levels before I have 100 in it. Isn't the game over by then?

I think you'll only get to lvl 28 before the game is over. So yea use those stat + potions now.

Binabik15

GAF, halp!

Im supposed to look after that hermit. How do I get there?!?!

I ended up in the Estern Temple, killed
the lizzard priest
, got the temple teleport stone. In the swamp behind the temple there´s a cave, but the skellies beat me up so I left. Suddenly around the hut that´s above that swamp where
lizzardmen!
of which I killed one and got another teleport stone, this time four south east coast. Teleported there, went into the cave, killed a
skeleton lord named something something
and took his rune shield. The floor above is guarded by at least three ghouls, which I hate, so I bailed and teleported to the volcano keep.

Used my shiny new skeleton, magic barrier and berserker runes to make me some scrolls and had a clever idea: just jump from the volcano with levitation!

Yeah, worked pretty well, floated the the highest plateau, met my first ashbeast, blocked three whole attacks and died.

Now I´m having dinner and wonder where the eff I´m supposed to go. I´m not really good at reading that map. Scratch that, I´m REALLY not good at reading that damn map :/

I don´t have enough time to spend my playtime on wandering around the same area (swamp benath volcano keep) again and again. I need that to have 30 minutes fights with enemies that are to strong for my lvl 3 sword fighting and need continous quickloading and saving to beat :lol

Ceebs

Binabik15 said:
GAF, halp!

Im supposed to look after that hermit. How do I get there?!?!

I ended up in the Estern Temple, killed
the lizzard priest
, got the temple teleport stone. In the swamp behind the temple there´s a cave, but the skellies beat me up so I left. Suddenly around the hut that´s above that swamp where
lizzardmen!
of which I killed one and got another teleport stone, this time four south east coast. Teleported there, went into the cave, killed a
skeleton lord named something something
and took his rune shield. The floor above is guarded by at least three ghouls, which I hate, so I bailed and teleported to the volcano keep.

Used my shiny new skeleton, magic barrier and berserker runes to make me some scrolls and had a clever idea: just jump from the volcano with levitation!

Yeah, worked pretty well, floated the the highest plateau, met my first ashbeast, blocked three whole attacks and died.

Now I´m having dinner and wonder where the eff I´m supposed to go. I´m not really good at reading that map. Scratch that, I´m REALLY not good at reading that damn map :/

I don´t have enough time to spend my playtime on wandering around the same area (swamp benath volcano keep) again and again. I need that to have 30 minutes fights with enemies that are to strong for my lvl 3 sword fighting and need continous quickloading and saving to beat :lol

Look after the hermit? are you talking about the druid? Be a bit more specific. Also did you get the full map of the island from the cartographer in Harbor Town? That one is pretty easy to read.

Binabik15

Ceebs said:
Look after the hermit? are you talking about the druid? Be a bit more specific. Also did you get the full map of the island from the cartographer in Harbor Town? That one is pretty easy to read.

Yes, the nature magician.

And yes, I have the better map, but it isn´t good, IMO. It´s vague enough that even though it looks like you´re right on track towards the road you need, you´ll never get there, because a god damn mountain or something else blocks it.

Anyways, looks like I´ll just use a walkthrough :(

Edit: Got him out of prison, yay. Got me an obsidian sword, yay. Walked back to harbour town to use all the skill points I had accumulated over the last ~10 hours of gameplay and now have sword lvl 5.

But I still don´t know how to parry. Even if I press the right mouse button during an attack he either raises the shield or does the animation and still gets hit. I am really not good at this, so I have to spend most of the time hiding behind my shield :/ When is the right moment to parry? The scalies hand me my ass, hard.

Finished the game today, finished at about 38 or so hours played according to my save games. Was really happy that the core gameplay formula pretty much held up well right until the end, and at no point did the game ever become completely trivial or overly tedious hike to get from point A to B.

My biggest gripe with the game is its lack of real itemization-they should have done a lot more with monster drops and crafting than they did. Having more character slots (bracers, separate chest/legs/boots) for equipment and better diversifying/specializing the gear would have added some much greater spice to the game, especially at the end when instead of just going through the last dungeons you would be grinding out uber craftables and finding crazy, flavorful drops.

Game world size was just about right for this adventure, and I liked the way that different areas would populate as the story progressed. While the story itself wasn't too much to write home about, it at least never took itself seriously (good thing!) and at no point did it stall out. I thought that the game peaked around Chapter 2 with it's more "open world, many quests" feel, and sort of wished more side things were made available in Chapters 3 and 4.

Overall, very good game for the CRPG fan. A good solid title that shouldn't be missed and you should go back to play after you're done with Dragon Age if you didn't play it already.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Found the 360 version really cheap... but a lot of reviews have been meh.. how is the 360 version (if anyone is playing it)

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Blackace said:
Found the 360 version really cheap... but a lot of reviews have been meh.. how is the 360 version (if anyone is playing it)

I own it for PC but from reading through the thread the general consensus is that the 360 version is just missing textures. If your not bothered by low end graphics then I would say pick it up. It was game I really enjoyed on PC for full price.

Ahhh the asian version is completely region free on 360. Ordered it since who knows when the heck its coming out in the states, and a bunch claimed it was region for on the pal version but it is NOT.

dak1dsk1

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
New xbox 360 patch today. Anybody know what's new?

As you have already noticed the Risen update for the Xbox 360 has just been switched live from Microsoft. The following changes are included in this update: The following changes are included in this update:

- Brightness slider in the main menu - Brightness slider in the main menu
- Improvements in the lighting of the vegetation - Improvements in the lighting of the vegetation
- Denser vegetation in some areas - Denser vegetation in some areas
- Mip-mapping LOD was improved - Mip-mapping LOD was improved

In addition, some minor bugs were repaired. In addition, some minor bugs were repaired. eg HUD items remain on the screen incorrectly, problems with the scrollbar in the menu, pop-up problems with maps, etc. eg HUD elements remain on the screen incorrectly, problems with the scrollbar in the menu, pop-up problems with maps, etc .

As for the vegetation in some areas it was (if it has approved the performance) improved. As for the vegetation in some areas it was (if it has approved the performance) improved. Particularly well you can see the improvements in Tristan's yard where you have to collect the corn plants. Particularly well you can see the improvements in Tristan's yard where you have to collect the corn plants. There are now considerably more grain than in the original pencil version. There are now varied considerably more grain than in the original pencil version.

---

machine translation

dak1dsk1

Banned
Best part about the mess i posted above! The quest maps actually WORK! And they take up MUCH more space on the screen! JOY!

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
They added a brightness slider in the patch?? Sold!!

Ordering tonight!

Still waiting on my asian copy, glad to see that the patch is out. Loved this on the pc though didnt have time for it, will get to it on xbox though.

I have to wonder... We had many many people bitching about the quality from the 360 version to the pc version. Similar to how Dragon Age is being viewed now... though I don't see people shitting all over the console version of Dragon Age (Well a few are)but most just accept it because its a damn good game and so is Risen people! Regardless how it looks, gameplay is key!

Minsc

Gold Member
slasher_thrasher21 said:
Still waiting on my asian copy, glad to see that the patch is out. Loved this on the pc though didnt have time for it, will get to it on xbox though.

I have to wonder... We had many many people bitching about the quality from the 360 version to the pc version. Similar to how Dragon Age is being viewed now... though I don't see people shitting all over the console version of Dragon Age (Well a few are)but most just accept it because its a damn good game and so is Risen people! Regardless how it looks, gameplay is key!

I think it's because the difference is a lot more profound with Risen than Dragon Age. From what people have said about the PC version of Risen, the graphics can be breathtaking, with the lighting rivaling Crysis at times and environments that feel alive. Dragon Age has its moments sure, but also is full of low res textures and lifeless environments. At least that's what I gather.

I just ordered my copy of Risen, but it will probably wait until after Dragon Age to get its turn.

Hay Guys.

Anyone wanna buy Dragon Age Origins for PC off me? It blows compared to Risen and I'm just playing the demo. Matter of fact, I hated Oblivion but, Risen... WOW.. This is going to be great.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Really digging this game. Not only is the ambiance really good but walking through the swamp is nerve wracking at the level I'm at now. Its that sense of danger and ambiance that a lot of modern games don't have.

bloke

BlueTsunami said:
Really digging this game. Not only is the ambiance really good but walking through the swamp is nerve wracking at the level I'm at now. Its that sense of danger and ambiance that a lot of modern games don't have.
Yeah this game got me back into PC RPGs (playing Ego Draconis now), really liked the atmosphere, immersion and hardness, probably died 100 times but it never felt frustrating...ending/last boss sucked hard though :lol ...

Ricker

The North American XBox 360 release was delayed till January last time I heard,back when it was suppose to come at the same time as the rest of the world,but we haven`t heard anything since...I have a bad feeling they cancelled it or something,this probably didn`t sell well on consoles in Europe? any numbers? any news? playing Draconis a bit now and it`s pretty good on the 360,I was looking forward to Risen as well.

panda21

trying to choose between this and Drakensang

got the demo of this and it seems like a cool concept, reminds me slightly of demon's souls in a weird way. some of the execution i'm not so keen on though - the british voice acting is really terrible and the script is pretty bad, combat doesnt seem that great, and the jump animation is horrible, but maybe I just didnt give it enough time. how much does that stuff factor into the game though once it gets going?

the 'acting' in that shitty quest to pick grain for the guy in the demo angered me intensely :lol

witcher is a shoe-in but i didnt like the way the combat worked in the demo, and i could only try the drakensang river of time german demo since the demo of the 1st game seems to have a trojan in it.

BeeDog

panda21 said:

got the demo of this and it seems like a cool concept, reminds me slightly of demon's souls in a weird way. some of the execution i'm not so keen on though - the british voice acting is really terrible and the script is pretty bad, combat doesnt seem that great, and the jump animation is horrible, but maybe I just didnt give it enough time. how much does that stuff factor into the game though once it gets going?

the 'acting' in that shitty quest to pick grain for the guy in the demo angered me intensely :lol

witcher is a shoe-in but i didnt like the way the combat worked in the demo, and i could only try the drakensang river of time german demo since the demo of the 1st game seems to have a trojan in it.

The VA is decent enough in the full game, and you'll quickly get over the jump animation. This game's amazing either way, and I'd definitely recommend you to play it! Don't get the 360 port if possible, since the PC version obliterates it.

panda21

BeeDog said:
The VA is decent enough in the full game

i assume its the same as in the demo though? I guess if you arent british you wouldnt notice but it really sounds like the programmers just read it out themselves in an english accent, theres something incredibly irritating about their reading of it. i was considering just turning off the voice audio altogether :lol

PC version of course. it certainly looks wonderful on my machine :D (and incidentally the new drakensang game demo is jawdroppingly beautiful looking even i can't understand any of the german in it)

eXistor

panda21 said:

I thought the guy who did the main character was quite good actually. Some dodgy acting sure, but it never bothered me. The story isn't great but I really don't think you should be playing it for the story that's in the game, make your own. Jump animation is pretty stupid, but again, it's a minor quible. Same with the combat, I really didn't like it at all, but it's clearly not the focus of the game so it's not a big deal.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
DennisK4 said:
Well, sure if that is an option get both but if you have to choose, get Risen, the 2009 RPG GOTY.
Drakensang is awesome in its own way though. At least worth biting fingernails over.

In the end, I'd probably get Risen as well if I had to choose.

Mudo

I'd get Risen (PC), but have to say that I really have enjoyed Drakensang for the ~20 hours I have put into it. It got knocked by a lot of people but there aren't a lot of games LIKE it (Baldur's Gate kind of stuff) and for me that's always a good thing. But about Risen, it's a difficult game and you will die a lot, but it's pretty, and it's deep. I haven't beaten it yet either (yeah..i have an issue beating games lol), but it is very engrossing. Actually, the first 2 days I had the game I was so absorbed that I literally did nothing but play it and eat/use the bathroom. That does not happen to me very often nowadays.

Eventually, no matter which you choose, please pick up the other one - they are both worth playing.

panda21

yeah wasnt sure about risen but people are suitably enthusiastic about it that i think i will almost certainly get both eventually if not at the same time.

edit:
TAGES... f this s, drakensang it is!

coopolon

TAGES is only in the Steam version right? I have a 10$ Amazon credit I need to spend by February 28th and I am seriously considering getting Risen. I'm not going to get to it for awhile, but I'd like to support the developer and know I will love it when I get around to it.

Dresden

Guys, I downloaded the Risen demo for the PC a few months back, and I finally decided to try it out, but it won't load at all. No idea why, it's on Steam. It just starts loading before I get the windows message about the program not working, checking for solutions, shutting down program, etc. Looked around for solution but have yet to find any.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
You're talking about the demo, right?

Do you meet the system requirements? Are your drivers up-to-date? What is the actual error message?

IGN review for the X360 version is up.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/107/1071466p3.html

Please note, this is a review of the Xbox 360 version released in North America.

Closing Comments
Whether or not you'll enjoy Piranha Bytes' Risen really depends on what kind of gamer you are. Though this is a more humble and user-friendly product than Piranha Bytes' past games, it's still very much a hardcore role-playing game. If you're not willing to figure some things out for yourself and the idea of freedom of choice doesn't sit well with you, chances are Risen isn't going to mesh well with your gaming sensibilities. If you're familiar with the genre and are looking to take the next step into a mature, well-realized fantasy world, then this is it. Its combat system isn't the greatest and its pacing is inconsistent, but for those who put in the time to see all Risen has to offer, it's an experience that won't be forgotten.

Overall -
7.6/10

I picked this up for 360. If you are on the fence about this game, I would say it is a definite buy. There seems to be tons of quests and talking to NPC's is fun and useful. Oblivion was my favorite RPG this gen, but I can say that this will probably overtake it soon. It's great.

On another note I have to turn off subtitles in RPGs; otherwise I just read and don't watch the game.

GreekWolf

Sorry for the uber bump, fellers. I was just curious if anyone had impressions of the newly patched 360 version?

Several articles (IGN included) have mentioned that the NA release received a substantial visual upgrade, so I've been considering picking it up. Keep in mind that I'm probably one of ten people on the entire planet, who actually enjoyed Two Worlds and played it to completion. Needless to say, I'm not difficult to please when it comes to open-world gaming goodness.

I am curious too to know the difference between the US version and the now patched PAL/Asian version.

Play Asia are selling the Region Free Asian version for $22 Aust for the next 10 hours, and I am tempted to pick it up, but don't want to waste the money if it turns out that the US version is less buggy and better graphically/technically.

Is the US version region free??? If so, I'll just grab the US version.

Couple of quick questions about the game...

How long is the gameplay roughly? I never got to play much Gothic 3 cause my PC = old pos and couldn't really play it, so I have no idea how big of a game it was :p

Though I do remember a friend of mine telling me ages ago he sunk alot of hours into Gothic 3.

Is there lots to do aside from questing? What can be done?

Is there real time weather?

I think if there's no real difference between the US and PAL version, I might just import the UK version as Zavvi have it for @$23 Aust (incl shipping).

GreekWolf

I took the plunge on the NA 360 version and have really enjoyed it thus far.

It's difficult to compare all the changes between the NA and Euro versions, since I've only seen vids of the latter, but the NA release certainly looks nicer. The countryside is crammed full of trees, exotic plants and lush vegetation, almost to the point of absurdity. I hate getting lost out in the woods... all alone... at night. Eeek!

The world itself is beautiful, which is strange considering how awful the character models are. It's like someone ripped Fargoth and his pointy little head right out of Morrowind and plunked him down into Uncharted. Truly bizarre.

The framerate is surprisingly good out in the open, but takes a noticeable hit in town. I'd say it generally hovers around 25-30 fps, occasionally dipping into the teens in heavily populated areas. Certainly not a deal-breaker for me but, of course, your mileage may vary.

Creature design is fairly ho-hum, with all the usual MMO suspects scattered throughout the countryside. Most of the time, you'll be fending off wolves, vultures, boars, rats and the occasional skeleton. Certain areas have a few more interesting beasties which provide a good challenge. I like harassing Ogres with my crossbow, just to hear them curse and chase me down the mountain.

Voice acting is where the game truly shines. John Rhys-Davies is excellent as the Don, as is the rest of the cast in their respective roles. It's not up to Mass Effect's lofty standards, but it's certainly several notches above the cookie-cutter acting found in Oblivion/Fallout. Maybe it's just me, but the protagonist looks and sounds suspiciously like Jason Statham.

The main storyline is actually pretty good and has managed to keep my interest for well over 30 hours. I'm only in chapter 2, but have found more than enough dungeons and side-quests to keep me preoccupied.

Basically... if you're looking to scratch that Morrowind/Fable itch until the next big open-world RPG arrives, then I would recommend giving Risen a try. The only caveat here is to understand that it isn't nearly as polished, refined or user-friendly as a big budget title. It's strictly a hardcore PC game that's been shoehorned (rather successfully) onto consoles. For me, it was a great purchase.

bry-bry

Glad to see someone else is enjoying the NA xbox version. I'm really loving the game so far. Never played any of the Gothic series, so this is my first taste of this particular style of RPG. The sense of exploration and the way the game rewards exploration is superb. Risen also seems to balance the open world feel with a more focused, linear experience very well; you can wander far enough to feel lost but your path will almost certainly lead you back to familiar surroundings. I'm taking my sweet time in the first chapter, but the competing factions in the story do well to make the island feel alive.

Now for the unfortunate and well-established fact that this is not a good port (sorry GreekWolf.) I'm the last person to turn a good game down because of nagging or even serious technical problems, so the nasty textures, frequent frame rate drops (it can absolutely DIE if there are too many enemies on screen), shitty draw distance, and general lack of polish don't really bother me. Player movement isn't exactly a bowl of cherries either. Maybe installing the game to the hard drive would improve performance, but I'm not too concerned either way.

I highly recommend this game, but consider yourself warned. If you're a graphics whore or simply value presentation over game play, try it on the PC.

Taoofberg

bry-bry said:
Glad to see someone else is enjoying the NA xbox version.

I'm playing it now too, and it is more fun than I had hoped. If you're coming in blind, think if Oblivion and Dragon Age had a (slightly deformed) lovechild. If you found anything enjoyable in either of those games, there's something for you here.

Picked this up on 360 for $20 recently on Play-Asia (English language Japanese version, no region lock). Good fun for that price, since it's fun, but pretty much all of it's features could be developed a lot further than they are.

Wish there was more variety of enemies and that combat felt a bit less awful, more people to talk to (with more than like 10 faces among them), more weapons, and more armor! Spent far too long in the shipwreck victim tattered rags at the start of the game. Dialogue/characters in general are kind of hit or miss. Some are interesting, and some just seem pointless.

That said, plenty of fun to be had wandering around, hunting/gathering and lots of semi-intersting violence-optional sidequests to be had talking with all the townspeople, and trying to figure out which faction is worth siding with.

I'm about done with Chapter 2 I guess, getting the last of the several things you need to collect...

I just went to check out the Steam page for Risen in anticipation of my new gaming rig... but was greeted with this message:

"This item is currently unavailable in your region" (NZ)

It was available when it first came out, as my brother bought it and still owns it. What gives? :(

lastplayed said:
I just went to check out the Steam page for Risen in anticipation of my new gaming rig... but was greeted with this message:

"This item is currently unavailable in your region" (NZ)

It was available when it first came out, as my brother bought it and still owns it. What gives? :(

It had disappeared from America's store for awhile too, but it came back (!!!) apparently 2 days ago. So... thanks for asking and making me check if it was back yet or not :)

Got a bit of an odd problem. The game plays great the first time I run it after booting up my PC. After I exit the game, the only way I can get it running again is to reboot my PC. All I get otherwise is the Risen logo, a black screen for a couple of seconds, then back to the desktop. No error messages.

I'm running XP Pro SP3, with a GTX 260, an Audigy 2 and 3 gigs of ram.

Any ideas?

Apart from this minor inconvenience though, I'm having a blast. Awesome game!

Top Bottom