• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Risen | Official Thread (PC/PC/PC/360) -- RPG from Gothic creators

syllogism

Zefah said:
I'm not even quite sure how to operate them. I turned off the game in disgust moments into it. I am supposed to run around with WSAD and use Q and E to turn or something? I only click the mouse to attack? What rubbish.

Did the first Gothic control this poorly? I remember playing through that when it came out but I don't quite recall the control scheme.
Is that really the only option because I'm almost certain I played through it (twice!) with regular mouse look

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Holy crap, I get 4-5x the framerate on my 5870 compared to my GTX 260, at 1080p/max. When I saw >100fps, wow. Guess I can safely add AA and the extra foliage O_O

Myr

Banned
Seems like this game prefers ATi/AMD cards, as my GTX295 runs it well, but not THAT well.

Euro developers are great at delivering patches that actually improve performance, so hopefully us nVidia users will see something soon enough.

Anyway,

Can someone answer my armor question? Where do I find the good stuff?

syllogism said:
Is that really the only option because I'm almost certain I played through it (twice!) with regular mouse look
yeah, it's regular mouse look.. as standard? I don't know what this no mouselook talk is about.

also click F to go first person and hold R to look around without moving the guy. the mouse is really slow in the game though so crank all the settings to max.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
EviLore said:
Holy crap, I get 4-5x the framerate on my 5870 compared to my GTX 260, at 1080p/max. When I saw >100fps, wow. Guess I can safely add AA and the extra foliage O_O
Now you have to wait for the high res texture pack :lol

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The fuck?
Where did this game come from? :eek:
Looks awesome!

Minsc

Gold Member
EviLore said:

Do the drivers for ATI's 5800 series cards seem good? I guess they're probably similar to the 4800 series, but I haven't used either. That's great news on the framerate improvement, I remember when charts first came out for benchmarks to Risen, the 5870 was off the charts compared to every other card... there was no 295 on the benchmark I saw though.

Not overclocking the card either right? Just stock performance?

kinggroin

Banned
EviLore said:

Real quick. What PSU are you powering that thing with?

Framerate with AA?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, it's regular mouse look.. as standard? I don't know what this no mouselook talk is about.

also click F to go first person and hold R to look around without moving the guy. the mouse is really slow in the game though so crank all the settings to max.

Can you really call this mouse look, though? I have my sensitivity maxed in the in-game options and I have to jerk my mouse to either the left or right to get my character to turn even slightly. It is so frustrating I don't think I can play the game this way. I'm going to see if I can mess with the ini to increase the sensitivity or find some kind of custom patch to fix this. (talking about Gothic 2 here, sorry to be so off topic)

-SD-

Banned
Zefah said:
I have my sensitivity maxed in the in-game options and I have to jerk my mouse to either the left or right to get my character to turn even slightly.
That's strange. I had no such problems.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I figured it out by poking around in the ini file. Apparently the default range of the "mouse sensitivity" slider is from 0 to 1. I manually changed the sensitivity up to 6 and I can turn with the mouse just fine now. Now I can finally play the game!

garath

EviLore said:

Wow. That's impressive. I only got my gtx260 earlier this year. I'd hate to upgrade so soon. But it is so very tempting.

dionysus

Yaldog
garath said:
Wow. That's impressive. I only got my gtx260 earlier this year. I'd hate to upgrade so soon. But it is so very tempting.

That kind of performance jump isn't going to be typical for most games. Risen just must have been optimised to ATI. 5870s are still great cards though, and probably worth it if you got the money.

My 4890 runs this at about 50 fps all settings maxed with 8x filtering.

Going to take a break from Risen simple because I have alot on my plate, but mainly because a buddy wants to borrow it and put in a few good hours. If he enjoys it, he said he is going to buy a copy outright. I already know he is buying his own copy before he does. :lol

BeeDog

Good lord the (ch. 3 spoiler)
volcano temple
is huge. Ugghhhhghghghg, I've gotten my fair share of tongue, and I'm not even done. :p

eXistor

Just finished it. I have to say Chapter 3 and 4 were a bit short and weak compared to the first 2 (they focused on the story...not the games' strong point), but this is still one of the best rpg's this year. The ending was very abrupt and felt tacked on even though all of chapter 4 is building up to the ending.

Still, disregard the story and focus on the world (and exploring it) and you have a fine, fine game. I just wish the world itself was just a bit bigger, because by the end of chapter 2 I had seen almost everything to be seen, so chapter 4 felt a bit too much like a retread. For those interested: I finished it in 42 hours and took my sweet time doing so. If you'd focus on the quests and not exploring so much, I'd say you can finish it in 25-30 hours.

eznark

Banned
Just started the game. Cool intro, not on the level with the Witcher intro but cool none the less. Looking forward to jumping in!

Edit: Oh damn, just got eaten, I had no idea how to enter attack mode!

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
eXistor said:
Just finished it. I have to say Chapter 3 and 4 were a bit short and weak compared to the first 2 (they focused on the story...not the games' strong point), but this is still one of the best rpg's this year. The ending was very abrupt and felt tacked on even though all of chapter 4 is building up to the ending.

Still, disregard the story and focus on the world (and exploring it) and you have a fine, fine game. I just wish the world itself was just a bit bigger, because by the end of chapter 2 I had seen almost everything to be seen, so chapter 4 felt a bit too much like a retread. For those interested: I finished it in 42 hours and took my sweet time doing so. If you'd focus on the quests and not exploring so much, I'd say you can finish it in 25-30 hours.

I totally agree with you about chapters 3 and 4. They were fun, but they might have been just a bit too combat-focused and linear. It would have been nice if they added in some quests to previous areas you have been to so you had the option to do some more exploring. There are a few quests that pop up in chapter 3, but I don't think there are any new ones in chapter 4.

The ending was very abrupt. I really wish their was a bit more closure and some more explanation of what happened after the events at the end of the game. I can only hope that they intend to make a direct sequel where you venture into the mainland or something.

Oh well, the game itself was completely awesome and a relatively lame final boss encounter followed by a poor ending isn't enough to sour my opinion on it.

Just finished, great game, chapters 3 and 4 were a bit long in the tooth. Gnomes are awesome. :D
Good to see the return of lizardmen also, they looked fantastic

I still prefer gothic 1 and 2 though, in some ways though they're essentially the same games, the dons men are an amalgamation of the swamp, old and new camps in gothic 1. The order are the paladins, fire and water mages of gothic 2...but not as cool. Would be interesting to see where a sequel goes.

Risen may sell quite well.

Gothic 3 sold about 750k in it's first couple of months, and that game had quite poor word of mouth. Hopefully this reaches or surpasses that.

The environments look fine, but the models are straight out of Quake 1 or something and look terrible.

I think they've aged pretty well actually, certaintly better than the monstrosities that gothic 3 had. check out the gothic2 database and have a look at the armours, great realistic looking stuff.

Read something that it is better to be a mage than a warrior. Is that true? Just want all the help I can get if the game is hard :) (My reflexes aren't what they used to be) :D

So the buddy of mine that I let borrow this is totally hooked and has a three day weekend so he is going to play the shit outta it. Then purchase his own copy, our town is sold out currently. :lol

Spreading the Risen love! :D

Dennis

Banned
slasher_thrasher21 said:
So the buddy of mine that I let borrow this is totally hooked and has a three day weekend so he is going to play the shit outta it. Then purchase his own copy, our town is sold out currently. :lol

Spreading the Risen love! :D
Great :D

DennisK4 said:

I personally told him, if he somehow beats it this weekend, he still have to buy a copy. :lol He said that he loves these kinda games and replays them multiple times, plus he loved Gothic series and he likes to support the team. So he is definetly getting a copy for himself.

p.s. On a unrelated note, I also sold him on getting Demon Souls. I'm such a sales man!

Zeliard

Risen and Demon's Souls came out completely out of nowhere for me (didn't even know about their existence until days prior to release) and are quite possibly the two best games I've played all year.

Demon's Souls is probably the best console game I've played in this entire goddamn generation. PC gamers should look into it.

Zeliard said:
Risen and Demon's Souls came out completely out of nowhere for me (didn't even know about their existence until days prior to release) and are quite possibly the two best games I've played all year.

Demon's Souls is probably the best console game I've played in this entire goddamn generation.

Yeah I have to agree on them coming out of nowhere. I haven't even had time to play Demon Souls yet but after all the impressions and gloating, I had to get a copy, so I'm pimping this game and Risen like no tommorrow around the office. Even though I haven't played Demon yet, I know its amazing just from all the talk and videos, etc.

As for Risen, I am also getting the 360 version and will start a new game on that when it arrives in the mail sometime next week.

eXistor

dorkimoe said:
so whats this game play like? Im not to big into rpgs, but the game looks kinda good.
It's very easy to get into, there are little to no stats to keep track of so you can just focus on exploring the world. There are a bunch of things you can learn such as alchemy, prospecting, smithing etc, but it's simply a question of finding the right person and paying them money (and Learning Points, which you automatically get from leveling up) to learn the skills. I'd say this would make an excellent intro-rpg, if the combat weren't so hard.

Again: the meat of the game is exploring. You get a decently sized island with abosolute boatloads to discover. The world feels very real and convincing and if you're like me, finding an abandoned house in the middle of a forest which has a lovely little pond next to it can be one of the highlights in the game. Be warned though, the combat is quite shit and I never got used to it. My advice is to put all your Learning Points into Bow and Dexterity so you can dispatch of most enemies with ease (no enemy will ever block an arrow).

eXistor said:
It's very easy to get into, there are little to no stats to keep track of so you can just focus on exploring the world. There are a bunch of things you can learn such as alchemy, prospecting, smithing etc, but it's simply a question of finding the right person and paying them money (and Learning Points, which you automatically get from leveling up) to learn the skills. I'd say this would make an excellent intro-rpg, if the combat weren't so hard.

Again: the meat of the game is exploring. You get a decently sized island with abosolute boatloads to discover. The world feels very real and convincing and if you're like me, finding an abandoned house in the middle of a forest which has a lovely little pond next to it can be one of the highlights in the game. Be warned though, the combat is quite shit and I never got used to it. My advice is to put all your Learning Points into Bow and Dexterity so you can dispatch of most enemies with ease (no enemy will ever block an arrow).

Also he should take note that the starting area can be quite tough but if he sticks with the game, his character will get better and the game will progress nicely.

Risen2009-10-0717-14-10-95.jpg

Beautiful.

Asparagus

Finally got the game and spent some time in harbour town. Am I the only one to go a bit crazy with sneak and pickpocket? If it's not nailed down it's mine lol.

Asparagus said:
Finally got the game and spent some time in harbour town. Am I the only one to go a bit crazy with sneak and pickpocket? If it's not nailed down it's mine lol.
I'm pretty sure I have stolen everything. So you're not alone my friend.

*Thief High Five*

steal from the harnor town blacksmith, his shest behind the counter has lots of good stuff. Also at midnight everyone is asleep soo.... yeah I'm sure you can figure it out.

Zeliard said:

Demon's Souls is probably the best console game I've played in this entire goddamn generation. PC gamers should look into it.

I wish I had a PS3 just for that game.

I have one friend already purchasing it, so I am going to try it out at his place.

bigmit3737 said:
I wish I had a PS3 just for that game.

I have one friend already purchasing it, so I am going to try it out at his place.

Be careful, you might just find yourself running out to get a PS3!

Also concerning Risen, how long is the average play time of chapter 1?

BeeDog

Getting close to the end now (lvl 27, doing the fetch quest hrmhrm). It's turning into a bit of a drag now, a bit too much running around the game world. Newly added side quests would've done wonders at this stage of the game since the game world isn't nearly big enough as I thought it'd be. Still a fucking good game though.

dorkimoe

eXistor said:

Thanks appreciate it. Im not a complete rpg noob. I played wow/fallout 3. Definitely like to explore and find new stuff

Guess ill give this a shot on pc

Durante

I managed to take a screenshot of a flash of lightning in the middle of the night:
fa39727393.jpg

(Note that it's even more impressive in-game and lasts only a split second)

Durante

wmat said:
Cool thing, but if you'd use a recording app, it wouldn't be that hard to get a flash of lightning ;)
That's true, but if I started recording Risen I'd have to spam the thread with animated gifs :p. Think of the low bandwidth users!

painey

im at a dead end on the 360 version, my two quests are killing lizardmen in caves and its too dark too play until the patch comes with brightness slider. oh well.

Top Bottom