• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

Ethel is my new waifu.

I like Archie but I agree that he is the weaker of the main characters. He's not bad but Betty, Veronica and Jughead are more entertaining and interesting. It doesn't help those three get the actual meaty part of the plot with the murder while so far Archie is just angsting over music and Mrs. Grundy (the plot point which is by far the worst of the show).

Thought the 'dad hates his son doing music' plot was cliche but I'm glad they got rid of it so quickly. The whole music thing I'm not sure about.

Betty was cray-cray but I still love her. That scene with the jacuzzi was intense.

Veronica is awesome, the brief scenes she has with her mother are nice. Still sticking with my theory of Betty's dad being the killer although I'm thinking now that Betty's mom had an affair with Cheryl's dad and she got pregnant which resulted in Polly. Polly discovered she dated her half brother and it drove her to her breakdown.

Pachimari

Loved this episode even though it was the weakest so far. That B&V pool scene will stay in my head forever. Betty is crazy in the good kind of way. Still loving Jughead. As to the killer, it's Jughead, just going with my gut feeling and my gut feeling usually sucks. Oh am I annoyed at Betty's mom too.

They should have held off revealing that particular plot point in next week's preview.

This week's episode was enjoyable but probably my least favourite of the three. Dark Betty is scary but entertaining. If I was Grundy I think I'd leg it out of Riverdale before she finds out about her and Archie.

Pluto

Interesting...
I may fall flat on my face if someone else is the killer but I'm convinced it was him. If I'm wrong feel free to point at laugh at me. ;D

Ratings steady at 0.4, 1.22mil viewers up from 1.13 last week -- on the precipice of 0.5. Good news for those of you looking for a S2.[/SPOILER]
I'll riot if Riverdale gets cancelled, it's the best new drama this season, it's so entertaining. I really hope the ratings improving plus the international Netflix deal is enough to get them to renew it.

JonnyKong

Why oh why did I read those spoilers?

Can we just take a moment to appreciate Chuck's body? God damn that man has a nice back.

How many episodes are we in for again? This is the first show I bought off of iTunes and I'm loving waking up to the little message that a new episode is ready.

Holy Christ at Betty. I was happy to see her becoming increasingly empowered, and fighting for what's right, but she crossed several lines. I was almost willing to defect from #TeamVeronica, but I couldn't after that.

Mrs. Blossom hitting Mrs. Cooper was great. That bitch deserved it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
I'll be devastated if this isn't renewed, but on interviews they said two things would happen this season:

(light spoilers)
-Jason's murder will be resolved.
-Archie will choose between Betty and Veronica.

So worse comes to worst we'll at least get a season that makes good on its promises.

Love it. 20+ episodes for a season usually has me ditching the series for some reason these days.
same here. 10~13 seems to be the magic range of episodes for a tv show.

Fuu

From the wall of the make up/hair trailer:

C4QlwDrW8AAYNuY.jpg:large

I need that picture of them wearing the classic costumes in high quality.

LionPride

Banned
I'm still stuck on the fact they supposed to be sophomores. I wish my ass looked anyway halfway that good two years ago god damn

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Omg I thought I didn't hear it right but when Veronica was filming the video he said:
He didn't give her the sticky maple. And yet they took it as a definitive yes

Was it a ruse all along ? :eek:

jwk94

Omg I thought I didn't hear it right but when Veronica was filming the video he said:
He didn't give her the sticky maple. And yet they took it as a definitive yes

Was it a ruse all along ? :eek:

I think that was supposed to be a confession to the school, rather than him saying someone else did it.

Episode wasn't very good, didn't enjoy the way they got revenge, should have been more satisfying. Did enjoy Veronica not taking shit, however.

Replicant

Hmm, the episode appeals to the psychopath in me. Dark Betty/Polly >>>>>>> Betty. Sorry but Betty is kind of there but who knew what a black wig can turn her into?

Love how everyone is teetering that grey line between good and bad, even Dilton Doiley. I mean no one is a perfect goodie-two-shoes IRL. Also hoping they'll explore Dilton/Moose friendship, which was quite big in the comic instead of keeping Moose interacting with assholes like Reggie and Chuck.

ZeroX03

Banned
Betty is clearly mentally ill, there's bad stuff going on in her family and it's exacerbated by her insane mother and suspiciously quiet father.

The promo seems to clear up the Grundy stuff. The show never framed it as good, I'm not sure why people are still worried it will.

LionPride

Banned
Betty is clearly mentally ill, there's bad stuff going on in her family and it's exacerbated by her insane mother and suspiciously quiet father.

The promo seems to clear up the Grundy stuff. The show never framed it as good, I'm not sure why people are still worried it will.

Because people strangely read into things

Even though like the first thing that happened was Grundy saying that it wasn't good at all

Fou-Lu

I really didn't mean to keep watching this show after the first episode but here I am just finished the third. Jughead is going to keep me coming back every week. Though psycho Betty is a close second.

cj_iwakura

I really didn't mean to keep watching this show after the first episode but here I am just finished the third. Jughead is going to keep me coming back every week. Though psycho Betty is a close second.

I'm not a fan of what they're doing with Betty, it feels too on the nose. It could've been more subtle.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
I'm not a fan of what they're doing with Betty, it feels too on the nose. It could've been more subtle.

It's very Black Swan,surprised nobody here has mentioned it. The creepy mom, black wig, the cray cray. That scene in the mirror with the lipstick especially. Was the Mom really even there? Hard to tell with how it was shot.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Veronica is the best. I'm a bit surprised as to how much I love her. Betty is growing on me but she has some issues. I'll also echo what someone else said....I'm don't really like how they got their revenge with little consequences to them. Though I guess when they said they go dark, they actually went fairly dark. I'm also loving B&V's friendship.

I really like investigative reporter Jughead. Jughead, Veronica and Betty are the strongest of the four.

Archie is terrible. I wanted to smack him. He doesn't deserve that soundproof garage. He's just really unlikeable and whiny. And please, please do not have some weird, gross triangle with Archie/Fred/Ms Grundy. Seriously, this Ms Grundy plot needs to end, preferbly with her getting arrested.

LMAO at the #justiceforethel.

Cheryl is some kind of crazy.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Just watched the pilot. Oh yeah, I'm into this. I like a show in which most of the characters, teenager and adult, seem to have at least a basic level of common sense and intelligence

"I'll never be good enough for you" is some bullshit though Archie and you know it

Replicant

They didn't lie when they said that this show is Twin Peaks-esque. They went full into dark, twisted places in this episode. The only element missing is a supernatural storyline.

Fuu

Yeah, I don't remember Archie hitting on teachers in the comic books.
Not Grundy since she was always a much older woman in the comics, but to be fair here's what happens when they get a hot teacher:

pFm7l3x.jpg

2g40rdr.jpg

r3UQEph.jpg

(The story ends with the new substitute being a hot guy and the girls falling head over heels for him.)

Barb is alive!

Mmmmm crazy ass Betty way better than by the book betty. Archie stays being the worst part of the show though.

Was the lois lane crack just a joke or a small universe reference?

Goodstyle

AV Club review brought up a good point about Archie. People complain about him being sort of a schmuck, but Archie's DNA kinda forces him to be. Even while this Archie is hot, is banging his teacher, is tied to a murder case... he's still the same wholesome kid who wants to do the right thing and succeed at life. We lament about how he's not as interesting as Betty and Veronica (the heart of the show) but he could never be, he's Archie. I just hope to God they don't try and make Archie's core personality change so much to the point where he becomes god awful in an attempt to make him edgy. Archie's just alright, and that's all he ever needs to be.

The show isn't about him, it happens around him.

LionPride

Banned
They didn't lie when they said that this show is Twin Peaks-esque. They went full into dark, twisted places in this episode. The only element missing is a supernatural storyline.

I mean, Sabrina is probably gonna come in

Say around the season finale? Probably

Replicant

Madchen Amick plays ultimate beeyotch very well though even back on Twin Peaks.

I wouldn't worry about Archie. He's fine as an eye candy and supporting character here. The show is not called "Archie" and even in the comics, where it's named after him, he's not the most interesting character either.

Makonero

Great ep. Dark Betty is my kind of wonderful.

I still think it's Archie's dad. He's keeping too tight a leash on Archie. He's scared of being caught.

I love guessing this stuff, it's so fun.

Top Bottom