• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riverdale |OT| Teen Peaks (or: Archie's Weirder Mysteries) - Thursday, 9/8c on The CW

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
This most recent episode is definitely the weakest. I do not give a shit about Archie's musical aspirations.

I actually kinda want Archie to get more involved in the investigation. I dig that he's finding himself, but it's not really connected to the central plot.

Permanently A

Yeah, it sucks that you can tell Betty's dad isn't the murderer. But he did break into the Sheriff's office to steal all the files... so he's got some motivation for not wanting the Sheriff to crack the case. Meaning someone connected to Poppa Cooper is the murderer or at the very least, is involved in the murder.

Just wanted to thank all the GAF faithful for watching our little show -- it's because of guys and gals like you all that help keep us going further and tell these stories every week. That said, there will be some BIG time revelations next episode which we hope you'll tune in for! Thanks again!!

Permanently A

Just wanted to thank all the GAF faithful for watching our little show -- it's because of guys and gals like you all that help keep us going further and tell these stories every week. That said, there will be some BIG time revelations next episode which we hope you'll tune in for! Thanks again!!

:O

thanks for a pretty interesting show!

ZeroX03

Banned

Thanks Cole!

Joni

Yeah, it sucks that you can tell Betty's dad isn't the murderer. But he did break into the Sheriff's office to steal all the files... so he's got some motivation for not wanting the Sheriff to crack the case. Meaning someone connected to Poppa Cooper is the murderer or at the very least, is involved in the murder.
Or he assumed his wife or daughter did it.

Fritz

It's a big plot point in Afterlife with Archie. I can't tell if the show is dancing around it or they're just genuinely close here. I feel like they're alluding to it but that just might be me looking for it.

For what it's worth, I don't know anything about Archie outside that New Archies cartoon in the late 80s and I'd say there is definitely something there.

The show has really grown on me. At first I felt there was too much teen drama but somehow they gave all the characters enough depth to make it worthwhile. The thing that drives me to it is still the mistery part though. I thought last night's episode wasn't as rollercoaster like as previous episodes but still sufficiently weird and moving everything forward. Archie needs some edge at this point. Kinda hope he killed Jason.

Korigama

Another good episode with more twists and turns. Didn't someone mention that it was likely that Betty's Dad was involved somehow due to some casting trope?

It can't be a coincidence that this episode gave me Resident Evil 7 vibes.

I don't know what the show is trying to do with Archie and his music dilemmas. It seems a bit unbelievable that Archie can't juggle both football and music.
Go Tell Aunt Rhody automatically sprang to mind for me when Nana Rose showed up in the wheelchair in Jason's room. The unpleasant family dinner also contributed to those vibes.
So Betty's dad did it right? Or is everyone still thinking Polly?
I think he's covering for his wife.
It's been quite interesting. Thank you for your efforts.

CREMSteve

I dislike Archie as a character, that's basically the biggest mistake a show about Riverdale could make.

It's becoming very soap opera-y, and both my wife and I looked at each other at the end of last night's episode and said eh, I don't know about this show anymore.

Not a good sign when this has been must-watch Friday night viewing for us since it started.

More murder mystery, less about the damn music, please.

This most recent episode is definitely the weakest. I do not give a shit about Archie's musical aspirations.

Yeah, this.

Fritz

Thanks for some fantastic entertainment!

Briarios

I'm OK with the parent stuff, because I think a lot of the show is about escaping the cycle the parents are trapped in. This episode made it clear that the dysfunction in Riverdale goes back generations, and many of the parents are trying to lock it in for the current generation. That makes it about the kids breaking the cycle ... I'm guessing some will, some won't.

But, narratively, I think it makes it much more interesting and gives a lot more fertile ground for the story to cover.

JonnyKong

Definitely starting to lose interest, I don't even care anymore who killed Jason because he's such a non character, and I'm sick of being told he's this really handsome guy, he's not at all in my opinion.

I guess I'll tune in for next week's to see what these big revelations are, but I think I'm close to being out. I don't think the characters and their relationships have evolved into anything interesting since episode 1 :(

But on another note,

Richie from Looking ❤️

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
So apparently the official shipping name for Betty & Jughead is "Bughead." These are the things I learn on Instagram.

I do like that the show has pulled back from the obvious Archie/Betty/Veronica love triangle. They got plenty of time for it, let them all be their own characters first. Even though this was my least favorite episode so far, I was feeling the Friday Night Lights vibe they were going for early in the first act.

Jughead is a sweet baby angel, Fred should adopt him.

Gin-Shiio

I think Archie is supposed to be this embodiment of naive innocence, pure and kind-hearted to the core. Someone no one could possibly dislike. But in a show about psychotic highschoolers and their families, he becomes plain forgetable.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
I thought the episode was solid.

- loved Cheryl this episode. Her parents are awful though. I'm not sure who is worse, Cheryl's parents or Betty's. At least Fred and Hermione are pretty decent.
- inviting everyone to the funeral so they can see all the suspects. omg.
- sad breakfast club lol
- maple syrup blood fued. It's ridiculous and dumb but I loved it
- Archie, why are you wearing your letter jacket to a funeral. Even Jughead dressed up
- Archie's football/music drama = YAWN. I don't care about it at all, and care little for Archie. Though I did like his interactions with Valerie. But I was also thinking....girl, you can do better.
- I'm also kinda feeling Betty and Jughead, tbh. Though it seems like most people would rather Jughead remain asexual. I'm not overly tied to the comics but it would have nice for him to be asexual - though this could be something that comes out later
- Veronica is still the best

bremon

I liked the episode. These episodes always fly by. I checked the time to see how much I had left and there were only 5 minutes. Things are moving quick.

Creepy Gran in the bedroom was like a wheelchair gunner in Bloodborne. Very awkward. I got enough plot development to keep me hooked. Plus I think I might be off TeamBetty and onto TeamVal now.

The maple syrup blood feud makes sense if Riverdale is set in Quebec lol.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
couple of Blossom family pics

C5eLsl6WgAAM7hE.jpg

C5eKRyQWQAAtsYo.jpg

pepperzz

Not sure if anyone mentioned this theory yet:

What if Betty was actually Polly but when the craziness with Jason happened it caused her to break off into a new persona. We all know Betty isn't very stable. That's why when Betty was hot tub torturing she thought she was Polly, and why the crazy Blossom grandma recognized her as Polly. Also Betty's dad was watching a home movie with only 1 daughter in it and we haven't seen any evidence of Polly not being Betty yet such as pictures (I think?)

Now I get that there are flaws with my theory. The whole town would have to be in on a giant ruse to act like Betty and Polly were actually different people. This is just a crackpot theory that jumped into my head. Please ignore these ramblings if they make no sense haha.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
This is definitely happening.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. They're working at the paper together, only natural feelings might crop up. Bet Jughead getting close to Betty would be a wake-up call for Archiekins.

I wouldn't be opposed to it. They're working at the paper together, only natural feelings might crop up. Bet Jughead getting close to Betty would be a wake-up call for Archiekins.

lmao, Archie wouldn't care, he'd be Jughead's best man at the wedding. Archie not caring though would set Betty off though, inadvertently driving a wedge into...BettHead? Jughetty?

That's it, I'm all in on Team Jughetty.

Joni

Archie knows Veronica, Valerie and Cheryl are better choices. Cheryl would call him Jason but he would live with that.

It sounds like they might've been planning to elope and then some shit happened. Jason was running away to go to her and then more shit happened and Jason got dead with a bullet in his head, maybe on the way back from trying to see her?

anaron

I've been rooting for this thing since it got announced for Fox and I'm so glad you all got to bring it to life.

Blues1990

every parent in this show is terrible. except for Archie's dad, bless his soul

Yeah, the guy is one of the few rational people in the town.

Come to think of it, has Archie's mother been mentioned yet? I assumed Archie's parents had split up sometime before the start of the series.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Yeah, the guy is one of the few rational people in the town.

Come to think of it, has Archie's mother been mentioned yet? I assumed Archie's parents had split up sometime before the start of the series.
Last episode Hermione said "I'm married. And you are too." to Fred, but aside from that I don't think she was mentioned.

Blues1990

Last episode Hermione said "I'm married. And you are too." to Fred, but aside from that I don't think she was mentioned.

Ah, I've forgot about that exchange.
(Also, the actress Marisol Nichols is such a babe.)

It wouldn't surprise me that, like Mr. Lodge, she probably won't make an apperance in this series. Not yet, at the very least.

Grizzlyjin

I'm actually looking forward to seeing Veronica become friends with Josie.

What shocked me was Valerie actually getting a good amount of screentime and development. I was wondering how that would be handled, cause up until now Valerie and Melody have been background characters while Josie talks. Probably my favorite thing about this episode, a nice little budding romance that I didn't expect.

I want to see where this Veronica and Cheryl friendship goes. It's probably going to be like how Amber from Clueless was a total bitch but still got to hang out with Cher and Dionne.

maxcriden

Cross-posting from the Bill Paxton thread.

Bill Paxton absolutely embodied that role of Bill Henrickson in Big Love. The cast was consistently stellar in that show and it really hit its stride in the third season. Roberto Aguirre-Sacasa came on the show that season and his character-driven writing really shine through. I think Riverdale fans would like Big Love quite a bit, I've definitely noticed some similarities in plotting, tone and character relationships.

Top Bottom