• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Mueller brings on 16th lawyer, former DoJ official who oversaw fraud unit

chadskin

A former U.S. Justice Department official has become the latest lawyer to join special counsel Robert Mueller's team investigating Russia's interference in the 2016 presidential election, a spokesman for the team confirmed.

Greg Andres started on Tuesday, becoming the 16th lawyer on the team, said Josh Stueve, a spokesman for the special counsel.

Most recently a white-collar criminal defense lawyer with New York law firm Davis Polk & Wardwell, Andres, 50, served at the Justice Department from 2010 to 2012. He was deputy assistant attorney general in the criminal division, where he oversaw the fraud unit and managed the program that targeted illegal foreign bribery.
That Mueller continues to expand his team means the probe is not going to end anytime soon, said Robert Ray, who succeeded Kenneth Starr as independent counsel for the Whitewater investigation during the Clinton administration.

"It's an indication that the investigation is going to extend well into 2018," said Ray. "Whether it extends beyond 2018 is an open question."
Among the cases Andres oversaw at the Justice Department was the prosecution of Texas financier Robert Allen Stanford, who was convicted in 2012 for operating an $8 billion Ponzi scheme.

Before that, Andres was a federal prosecutor in Brooklyn for over a decade, eventually serving as chief of the criminal division in the U.S. attorney's office there. He prosecuted several members of the Bonanno organized crime family, one of whom was accused of plotting to have Andres killed.
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-russia-lawyer-exclusive-idUSKBN1AH5F9

330f.gif

Other than the fact that the investigation is expanding, especially towards fraud.

RPGCrazied

This getting good. Enjoy it while it lasts Trump, one way or the other you are getting exposed and I hope its criminal.

giphy.gif

ezekial45

Banned
When can we expect Mueller and co-act to start acting. I've still got faith in this Justice League of theirs, but I'm getting restless with all the Trumpian-hijinks going on.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
When can we expect Mueller and co-act to start acting. I've still got faith in this Justice League of theirs, but I'm getting restless with all the Trumpian-hijinks going on.
It's going to be a long time. The article says this is an indication that the investigation will go well into 2018.

CHC

God, Trump & Co are so fucked.

It may not happen at the speed people want, but they are so fucking fucked.

LQX

He must be finding a lot of fucked up shit, but so much egg will be on so many faces if at the end of this he finds nothing. It will totally redeem Trump.

Retro

Understandable, with all the 3am tweets and word-soup interviews that are riddled with unknowing admissions of guilt or contradictions of previous statements (not to mention the constant leaks) this team is probably putting in major hours.

Trump's strategy is to just flood Mueller's office with so much noise they can't sort it out before his term expires.

Beartruck

He must be finding a lot of fucked up shit, but so much egg will be on so many faces if at the end of this he finds nothing. It will totally redeem Trump.

Trump worked in New York real estate and has mob ties. 0% chance he finds nothing at all.

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man
i swear we had a thread on this. That or i just had a serious case of deja vu.

TrojanAg

Good to hear because if they go after them on unpardonable state charges then Trump couldn't do a damn thing about it?

jwk94

Yep, dude willl be invincible if this doesn't go anywhere. This kinda feels like the lead-in to a post-apocalyptic movie/book

Raven117

Dear lord...that team is absolutely insane.

The amount of high end legal talent in that room. When all this finally comes down, that team is going to go down in legal legend....potentially world legend if something comes out that damns a president.

Slermy

I don't expect public facing action for a while (a year at least), as I'm sure they're going as far as they can and making sure they dot their "i"s and cross their "t"s to make sure it's a solid case.

When this does go down... whooo-boy. It's going to be amazing and totally worth the wait.

MarionCB

An expert in combating fraud and foreign bribery who's stared down mobsters who tried to kill him. Yeeesssss! Mueller's Avengers assemble!

Top Bottom