• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Robert Mueller brings on 16th lawyer, former DoJ official who oversaw fraud unit

Az

Would you really need that many attorneys if you weren't finding anything?
I am guessing they also have support staff.

Slaythe

So Kyle Chandler in the movie.

height.182.no_border.width.320.jpg

chekhonte

When can we expect Mueller and co-act to start acting. I've still got faith in this Justice League of theirs, but I'm getting restless with all the Trumpian-hijinks going on.

Nobody knows but I've heard a lot of people say late next year at the earliest. They won't act until the investigation is complete even if they find something on day one.

Edit: when the investigation is over what happens? Will Mueller's report be public?

I don't expect public facing action for a while (a year at least), as I'm sure they're going as far as they can and making sure they dot their "i"s and cross their "t"s to make sure it's a solid case.

When this does go down... whooo-boy. It's going to be amazing and totally worth the wait.

I fucking hate everything Trump is and represents...

But I would be lying to you if he wasn't going to be the greatest law case of all time. Tremendous case.

I'm expecting a tweet or interview snippet from Trump before the end of the week where he says, "I don't want to fire anyone, but Crooked Mueller had better know that investigating connections to Russian crime is crossing the line, particularly with regards to my failed development projects in Baja and Florida! #WitchHunt"

I would be surprised if this was done by the end of 2018 tbh, it doesn't help that stuff keeps coming out day after day.
Hah... The independent counsel investigation into Bill and Hillary (originally for the Whitewater real estate issue) was started in 1994, and wasn't finalized and disbanded until 2004. Considering all the shady people Trump's associated with over the years, I expect they'll be digging through his past until well into the 2020s.

Lesath

I think that either way, they need to convince the American people that the investigation has been overwhelmingly thorough and complete, since in both scenarios you'd have roughly half the country disbelieving you.

Flux

This will be the epic picture, all others are bad video screenies.

ViewMedia

Mueller has to be recruiting them with the movie in mind at this point. This will be Matt Damon's role.
Or a young Val Kilmer. But that's beside the point, the legal team is comprised of the best of the best. Hoping its an airtight case they put together.

Hah... The independent counsel investigation into Bill and Hillary (originally for the Whitewater real estate issue) was started in 1994, and wasn't finalized and disbanded until 2004. Considering all the shady people Trump's associated with over the years, I expect they'll be digging through his past until well into the 2020s.

That has to be a joke, I need to show this to friends/family when they ask me when this is going to be over and when we can move on.

Mahonay

Banned
God I love how robust and specialized Mueller's team is. Couldn't have asked for better really. Bury these fuckers.

Shauni

I wonder, when Mueller is inevitably removed, can a State government hire him on some level since it seems like this is extended to State-level crimes? It means the Russia collusion/obstruction stuff won't be on the table, but if he's actually looked at State charges, could the state of NY or something hire him as a special prosecutor to the Trump enterprise?

Maximo

Before that, Andres was a federal prosecutor in Brooklyn for over a decade, eventually serving as chief of the criminal division in the U.S. attorney's office there. He prosecuted several members of the Bonanno organized crime family, one of whom was accused of plotting to have Andres killed.

Dudes a badass,

I wonder, when Mueller is inevitably removed, can a State government hire him on some level since it seems like this is extended to State-level crimes? It means the Russia collusion/obstruction stuff won't be on the table, but if he's actually looked at State charges, could the state of NY or something hire him as a special prosecutor to the Trump enterprise?

Who the hell is the US Senate going to confirm at this point that will fire him?

Trump's world is shrinking by the day.

Mahonay

Banned
I wonder, when Mueller is inevitably removed, can a State government hire him on some level since it seems like this is extended to State-level crimes? It means the Russia collusion/obstruction stuff won't be on the table, but if he's actually looked at State charges, could the state of NY or something hire him as a special prosecutor tothinkin the Trump enterprise?
I think Schiff said they would reestablish contact with Mueller immediately if Trump were to fire him, and basically continue the investigation regardless.

Iolo

I think Schiff said they would reestablish contact with Mueller immediately if Trump were to fire him, and basically continue the investigation regardless.

"They" being the powerless Democrats.

No, even if Mueller stays on and finds some blockbuster stuff, nothing will happen until Democrats regain control, or Trump exits the presidency and is subject to state level charges. (Though Ken Starr did make the case that a sitting president is indictable.)

Mahonay

Banned
Of course.

I don't think one can do a lot of real estate deals in New York and Miami in the 80s without some shady shit going down.

My non-expert opinion of course.
He's funneling money into his resorts and hotels currently as sitting president.

He had a crooked past and present.
"They" being the powerless Democrats.

No, even if Mueller stays on and finds some blockbuster stuff, nothing will happen until Democrats regain control, or Trump exits the presidency and is subject to state level charges. (Though Ken Starr did make the case that a sitting president is indictable.)
2018 isn't that far away now. Here's hoping.

No. And the biggest mystery is how such a large group can be working without a leak. Are they locked away like a jury looking at electronic records? Even if they are leak proof if there is field work happening wouldn't that leak anonymously?

You don't employ lawyers to find evidence, that's for the FBI staff, you employ them when the evidence is ready and it's time to build the case to bring to court.

If they have enough to kick out the trump family why not do that first to save the tattered reputation of the country then pile on with all the followup additional charges. Look at the ex president of Brazil: ejected a while ago, now getting hit with additional charges.

Top Bottom