• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

BShadowJ

Does the smallest vehicle have the same hitsize as the largest one? I would think a bigger hitbox is more advantageous in this...

For the new page, GB are playing live atm, East vs West - http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/

Nah the hitboxes differences are minute at best. I'd argue even the bigger cars are more detrimental than anything, especially if your camera settings are at defaults, since they just block your vision. But that's me really.

Does the smallest vehicle have the same hitsize as the largest one? I would think a bigger hitbox is more advantageous in this...

For the new page, GB are playing live atm, East vs West - http://www.giantbomb.com/chat/
Haven't noticed hit box differences in Rocket League though I know there are. But in SARPBC I noticed the hit boxes big time and it was never a question about size but more about shape and how that affects the trajectory on the ball when you hit it.

Granted I've been playing with only similarly shaped cars so far in Rocket League which is probably why I don't notice it much.

Skyzard

Banned
Haven't noticed hit box differences in Rocket League though I know there are. But in SARPBC I noticed the hit boxes big time and it was never a question about size but more about shape and how that affects the trajectory on the ball when you hit it.

Granted I've been playing with only similarly shaped cars so far in Rocket League which is probably why I don't notice it much.

Based on the replies I take it there are hitbox differences, which makes sense...would be weird if the model wasn't representative...but a nice tall flat truck surely has the best chance of a powerful straight connect from head-on and side angles (including mid-flip)... no? They tend to be longer too...their surface area for connecting just seems bigger. Might make you an easier target for full-power attacks that take you out, but otherwise...

...maybe you won't land flips as easily. But worth it I reckon.

Maybe a car with like a nice wide bumper that has two main areas that stick out more to connect... maybe that would transfer more power but you'd need to be more precise.

BShadowJ

Based on the replies I take it there are hitbox differences, which makes sense...would be weird if the model wasn't representative...but a nice tall flat truck surely has the best chance of a powerful straight connect from head-on and side angles (including mid-flip)... no? They tend to be longer too...their surface area for connecting just seems bigger. Might make you an easier target for full-power attacks that take you out, but otherwise...

...maybe you won't land flips as easily. But worth it I reckon.

Every hitbox is a rectangle pretty much, so right from there, there won't be any difference in hits between cars. The difference is in the size of it, but it's so small, it's virtually insignificant.

I'm starting to wonder if we should just start saying the hitboxes are the same to avoid these confusions...

Every hitbox is a rectangle pretty much, so right from there, there won't be any difference in hits between cars. The difference is in the size of it, but it's so small, it's virtually insignificant.

I'm starting to wonder if we should just start saying the hitboxes are the same to avoid these confusions...
supersonic-acrobatic-rocket-powered-battle-cars-screens-of-in-game-action-running-on-playstation-3-20080808095752741_640w.jpg

This car here is the one from SARPBC that I noticed the most change when hitting the ball. The big thing here is the front of the car is pretty slanted all the way up to the spoiler, very different from the rectangular cars.

Skyzard

Banned

The trucks look significantly bigger to me though...do the other cars have larger hitboxes than their models to compensate for the truck advantage a bit? Or do you just feel the difference in their model sizes isn't that much?

I doubt they would match up the hitbox sizes as I'm sure there are advantages to a smaller vehicle too, even if we're talking pretty small differences overall since the rest of the stats match up.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
"What a save" and "Nice shot" are definitely my favorite sarcastic quick chats. Especially when someone scores an own goal.

This is easily my GOTY so far and the only game on my PS4 that's been able to hold my attention for an extended period. I wish there were more simple, fun and addictive games like this. One more game turns into 5 more games turns into 3AM. Every goal and win feels like such an accomplishment!

BShadowJ

supersonic-acrobatic-rocket-powered-battle-cars-screens-of-in-game-action-running-on-playstation-3-20080808095752741_640w.jpg

This car here is the one from SARPBC that I noticed the most change when hitting the ball. The big thing here is the front of the car is pretty slanted all the way up to the spoiler, very different from the rectangular cars.

I can't be sure about SARPBC because I don't really know if there were any differences in hitboxes there. For Rocket League though the devs have said the hitbox differences are minimal.

The trucks look significantly bigger to me though...do the other cars have larger hitboxes than their models to compensate for the truck advantage a bit? Or do you just feel the difference in their model sizes isn't that much?

I doubt they would match up the hitbox sizes as I'm sure there are advantages to a smaller vehicle too, even if we're talking pretty small differences overall since the rest of the stats match up.

For the shape of the hitbox, a dev answered here (see the posts by Psyonix-Cone) that the hitbox is basically a box. For how big they are and the differences, you can see the answer by another dev here.

Now with all this, they never really did say the hitboxes are exactly the same. But after playing a while and seeing people's choices of cars, I'm inclined to believe there's no real advantage between picking any car.

Can't believe I forgot to post this until now, but:

If you're playing on a TV, check if it has a Game Mode you can enable. RL benefits tremendously from reducing whatever input lag you have between your console and TV (including things like receivers).

Other TV 'features' notorious for input lag that you can try turning off:
MotionPlus/120 hz fake crap
Noise Reduction/image enhancement filters
etc.

Skyzard

Banned
I can't be sure about SARPBC because I don't really know if there were any differences in hitboxes there. For Rocket League though the devs have said the hitbox differences are minimal.

For the shape of the hitbox, a dev answered here (see the posts by Psyonix-Cone) that the hitbox is basically a box. For how big they are and the differences, you can see the answer by another dev here.

Now with all this, they never really did say the hitboxes are exactly the same. But after playing a while and seeing people's choices of cars, I'm inclined to believe there's no real advantage between picking any car.

Thank you for those links, very helpful. So no advantage to different shapes and angles for sure...just the size difference...which is apparently small.

And there may be benefits to not going for it? ...like maybe a more agile vehicle as a result of the smaller hitbox size (or even if they're unrelated, just because of the smaller model size) making flips and landing them possibly safer as less chance of being clipped by something...

Irnbru

If you're playing on a TV, check if it has a Game Mode you can enable. RL benefits tremendously from reducing whatever input lag you have between your console and TV (including things like receivers).

etc.

I even feel a difference having the controller plugged in but that might be me

BShadowJ

Thank you for those links, very helpful. So no advantage to different shapes and angles for sure...just the size difference...which is apparently small.

And there may be benefits to not going for it? ...like maybe a more agile vehicle as a result of the smaller hitbox size (or even if they're unrelated, just because of the smaller model size) making flips and landing them possibly safer as less chance of being clipped by something...

I sorta feel you're overthinking it. I'd say, just pick your prefered car and roll with it. Even with the small differences, if you stick to it, you should learn how to get the best of it. I must say though, I really like the enthusiasm in figuring this all out :p

Skyzard

Banned
I probably am, if people are fine with the different cars then that's a good sign, I only got the game yesterday... but I reckon I'll play some trucks for a while.

The Kronovi vs Gibbs 1v1 video linked above is crazy.

CLEEK

etc.

Ha. About half of my time with Rocket League as been using Vita Remote Play.

I haven't noticed any difference in my performance when switching between PS4+TV in Game mode and Vita.

I suck at Rocket League

Skyzard

Banned
I'm up for some games.

-I'm on PC though, don't think you can do cross-platform parties yet...maybe just the timing thing, which is hassle.

Bubba77

I love this game but Im starting to get annoyed at people. The last few matches that my team went down a goal one or both of my teammates just disconnected.... You can score in a handful of seconds in this game, I dont get it.

What are you guys listening to while playing this!? Not the biggest fan of the soundtrack so I made my own "Unofficial Rocket League Soundtrack" with all sorts of cool energetic stuff fron all sorts of genres on Spotify. Here's the link if you guys are interested:https://open.spotify.com/user/lulzwagon/playlist/7lKtdXPmNZqNV5zeeCqrbS

What are the go-to Rocket League Jams for you guys?

I made a thread for playlists.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=171625400#post171625400

Edit- Oh. You happened to actually bump it already. Carry on!

So are these small RC cars? Full sized cars driven with a control? Are there drivers inside? Are they sentient car like beings?

I thought they were small RC cars, but the GB guys made a point that the scale of the stuff outside of the arena seems to be "normal". Like the trees and such.. maybe they're full-sized and the ball is huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom