• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
More than most games I'm noticing that there's a huge fatigue factor for me in RL. I may start the night warm, may even middle of the pack. An hour later I'm having mvp games consecutively and feeling great. An hour later I'm missing absolutely every ball and I'm questioning my sanity. I actually wonder if I was doing well earlier because I'm playing so poorly by the end of the night. This is constant for me. It's like a spike in performance and a huge drop.

I dont know why but Im the same way. Played three games in a row where I missed 90% of my shots. Got so pissed. It's like I suddenly had two left hands.

Ugh.

So, Ive been using cam settings that have max FOV and max camera distance.

I wonder if the cam distance has been screwing me up, though Ive used it 99% of the time.

I used a suggestion above and now my camera is a lot closer. Should help with some shots I guess.

How do unlocks work? I have every item except one antenna and one rocket trail, but completing matches no longer gives me items. What do I have to do to unlock those last 2 things? Is it just random?

Skyzard

Banned
The game has great colours in general but I love this level, gives me strong sega vibe too. The trees look hand drawn, works out pretty well.
1d7qsd.jpg

Kronovi just hit 20k followers and now has a sub button. Pretty insane how all those years of him playing a little known game just kinda changed his life instantly.

I hope all the devs lives has changed for the better too. You guys have brought joy to a lot of grizzled old veteran and newer gamers alike.

I hope the momentum keeps building and this games numbers on twitch, reddit, steam/ps4 just keep rising and rising.

Ferrio

Banned
I'm playing so much better now. Rarely whiff the ball comically, win most of my games and tons of MvPs. Have hit a few good aerials here and there. Me and a bud been causing rage quits.

Fantomas

Me and my friends are becoming addicted to this game lol. This is like the third night in a row where we played until 1am or later.

We aren't super great or anything, but it's just so much damn fun!

Trouble

Banned
You know, one of the things I like about this game in theory is that you can pop in for a quick game. In reality I jump in for a game or two and just keep playing for two hours. :p

Nafai1123

Banned
Kronovi just hit 20k followers and now has a sub button. Pretty insane how all those years of him playing a little known game just kinda changed his life instantly.

I hope all the devs lives has changed for the better too. You guys have brought joy to a lot of grizzled old veteran and newer gamers alike.

I hope the momentum keeps building and this games numbers on twitch, reddit, steam/ps4 just keep rising and rising.

I would love to see it become a major e-sport. It's much more watchable and understandable than many of the others out there.

Ferrio

Banned
Also I find it just weird that there's a vocal track for the main menu music. It works so well but it's so odd for a game about RC cars hitting a ball around.

red731

It really is amazing.

First night I was watching him - he had ~80 viewers, then around 190 is a short span, 300, 800, 1140, 1300

First freaking night I saw him. Incredible. Very much happy for him!

I would love to see it become a major e-sport. It's much more watchable and understandable than many of the others out there.

It has the popularity, depth, community, viewership... Besides people just getting burnt out on it(which I don't really see since a lot of these people have been playing for 7 years)I can't see how it doesn't become a solid E-Sport contender.

One thing I do wonder is how they will price and release the DLC. E-Sports have in large part done very well because of the microtransactions that help keep a sustained flow of income so the devs can keep creating content. Crowdfunded tournaments have been a blessing as well offering people cool exclusive rewards and pushing tournament pay out into the millions without having to depend on outside sponsors.

seeing how well PS+ has pushed this game forward popularity wise I kinda think free to play with all cosmetic microtransactions would make this game an absolute monster.

Impulsor

Has anyone tried this on PC?

I'm curious, may even "double dip" (considering I got the PS+ version for free), theres in game party chat right?

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
If we finally reach a OT2 for this its titel should be "Rocket League |OT2| Nice shot! Nice Shot! What a save! Wow! Great Pass! Thanks"

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Man...so addicted to this game

I have to be up in 5 hours and now I'm watching the top 10 goals of the week. Game is owning my life lol

AcridMeat

Banned
HOLY CRAP THIS SAVE!!!! Didn't give me any points but it felt fucking incredible.
C-KZNH.gif

Lots more awesome highlights I'll hopefully build into a highlight video soon.

Skyzard

Banned
I know boost is supposed to be conserved...but you can power slide in this. Comes in handy sometimes. But with default controls you need to jump to the claw positioning with your fingers.

I set my controls on x1 pad for pc to:

B - Boost
Y - Drift
A - Jump

LB - Air rotation
X - view ball cam toggle
Leader boards on Select.

Really useful for quick defensive sweeps. And really easy to do with Y+B setup like this.

Danielsan

I'm not sure if it's just my bad luck, but people in ranked matches rage quit constantly. The second the score gets to about 2 to 0, one random person from the losing side will quit, even when there is 3 or so minutes left in the match. It's infuriating.

I know it rewards a "win" to the winning side when the losing side quits, but is there some sort of penalty in place to punish people that quit early, especially in ranked matches? It's unfair to the other players on the losing side when they still want to put up a fight. I know it's still possible to win when you are down a player, but this situation shouldn't be happening as often as it does.

I would take an idiot easy level AI to fill in the missing slot than nothing at all.

edit: lol... I normally always play 3 vs 3. So I decided to try 2 vs 2 ranked and someone rage quit on my team the second we were down by one point. The score was only 1 to 2. This is obviously becoming a problem with ranked matches since that was the only match I played since I wrote this post. Lucky for me I somehow put up a fight and won even though I was outnumbered... which felt pretty awesome. Might stick with 2 vs 2 ranked for a while.
I've had the same thing happening to me yesterday. I actually had my entire team rage quitting after we ended up 2-0 behind. 3vs1 is not exactly fair, but I still gave them a fight resulting in a 3-4 loss.

DJ88

More than most games I'm noticing that there's a huge fatigue factor for me in RL. I may start the night warm, may even middle of the pack. An hour later I'm having mvp games consecutively and feeling great. An hour later I'm missing absolutely every ball and I'm questioning my sanity. I actually wonder if I was doing well earlier because I'm playing so poorly by the end of the night. This is constant for me. It's like a spike in performance and a huge drop.

Oh man I thought I was the only one. It fucks with my head so much because just when I feel like I can reliably score goals and put the ball where I want, all of a sudden, I'll be missing balls all over the place and every shot is hitting nothing but the posts and crossbar. It drives me crazy too.

Hasney

Oh yeah, especially if you're playing some tense games. Takes a game or so to warm up, then by the end, it's just drained.

The stream we put up of the ESL games, you an hear us cracking jokes in the first 3 rounds but by the end of that last one, jesus, there's just 3 tired guys talking.

Oh man I thought I was the only one. It fucks with my head so much because just when I feel like I can reliably score goals and put the ball where I want, all of a sudden, I'll be missing balls all over the place and every shot is hitting nothing but the posts and crossbar. It drives me crazy too.
I have this problem too. I like to blame it on a little lag making the ball move at diffrrent speeds but its probably just the fact that I'm getting old.

Ferrio

Banned
So anticlimatic to have a overtime game and someone scores within the first few seconds. Really sad since I sent it into overtime for hitting a ball in at 0 seconds.

Started playing this game yesterday and its a lot of fun. Best part was the game winning goal I got with less then a second left from a shot from the other side of the map.

AcridMeat

Banned
Yep, it's very noticeable. I get fatigued when I'm in a call with my team for a long time. I tried playing some ranked 3v3s just with my own music after another long session and I immediately saw an improvement. Started hitting a bunch of aerials again and scoring some of my favorite types of goals.

Ark

I'm having exactly the same experience.

Skyzard

Banned
I hope they add more to the game before going on a dlc rampage.

The base game is so damn fun, if only there were gameplay modifiers for local co-op and online multiplayer (non-ranked) including parties for things like ... I dunno off the top of my head:

Car size - big/small (including as a handicap for 2v1 etc)
Unlimited boost +/- vehicle kills off
Car handling/capabilities - speed, power, triple jump/single jump limit/super-jumps (first/second jump are stronger). Haven't played the rainy maps yet, hopefully they're more slippery.
Bouncy cars
Gravity changes for the cars, strength...direction? might need new maps for direction. Custom map support is probably asking too much.
Multiple balls
Obstacles, eg mines, huge moving non-scoring balls, raining heavy balls and mines
items...
Ball charges power if hit multiple times quickly (glows to indicate it, when you hit it it goes further) sort of like Mario Strikers Charged
Jello ball
Cars leak oil when they're hit/ or constantly...makes it slippery unless you're boosting, which uses up the oil
Magnets on the front of the cars that repel the ball, boost is lost, button used to toggle between repel and a much weaker attract - ball knocks you back if it manages to move long distances towards you and gain momentum
kamikaze cars (low number of hits, explodes on final hit)
...random (like dice roll) mix of some of the above mode
First to x wins instead of just time based. It might have that, haven't come across it yet though iirc.

I'm sure there's loads more fun stuff. But yeah small changes as options could make the game even funner. At least having that party/custom mode there if you wanted to mix things up a bit.

Did the first game have any of that?

Hasney

Thank bloody Christ! Hate having to do them on my PS4 and sucking because of it :(

Same. Will be mitigated somewhat when I finally get a new TV, but my almost 10 year old Samsung has so much input lag that I'm much better on PC. Still like playing on my sofa too damn much though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom