• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDanimal

FUCK, I wish you could make season games shorter. At the very least (with 9 games + playoffs) you're gonna be spending an hour and a half to get though a season. And if your AI partner manages to suck badly enough to kill you in a playoff game? Congrats, you're starting over. Trophies shouldn't force you to do this crap. Playing with AI just isn't any fun.
You could also quit before the game ends, if you want. It doesn't record the outcome if you quite before it ends.

I would love it if Psyonix released an in-game tutorial video featuring strategies by some of the more top players. Not just to hit the ball good, but general positioning.

It makes me sad playing on a random team where the other 2 players never cycle back. I feel like I have to stay back at mid-field the entire game to be responsible. Then if the other team winds up scoring, it's of course my fault, and my lower score is pointed out (which occurs because I'm not going deep in the corners with centering balls and shots or goals/assists).

The game is so, so much better if you have players who are willing to play at both sides of the pitch. But all too many times I'll see a player go in deep for a shot, miss, and instead of busting ass back to the defensive zone they try and hit the ball... sideways, at best. And at best, that's what happens, but it's a bandaid of a solution. But most of the time they just miss or do more harm than good.

I'm almost at the point where I'm going to need to just party up to play in order to ensure that I'm playing with people who will cycle.

Thraktor

I would love it if Psyonix released an in-game tutorial video featuring strategies by some of the more top players. Not just to hit the ball good, but general positioning.

It makes me sad playing on a random team where the other 2 players never cycle back. I feel like I have to stay back at mid-field the entire game to be responsible. Then if the other team winds up scoring, it's of course my fault, and my lower score is pointed out (which occurs because I'm not going deep in the corners with centering balls and shots or goals/assists).

The game is so, so much better if you have players who are willing to play at both sides of the pitch. But all too many times I'll see a player go in deep for a shot, miss, and instead of busting ass back to the defensive zone they try and hit the ball... sideways, at best. And at best, that's what happens, but it's a bandaid of a solution. But most of the time they just miss or do more harm than good.

I'm almost at the point where I'm going to need to just party up to play in order to ensure that I'm playing with people who will cycle.

This is why I prefer playing 2v2 with randoms. It's all too easy for players in 3v3 to just assume that someone else will stay back in defense, but in 2v2 you have to be very conscious of where your teammate is and where you need to be in relation to them. It's also a lot easier for both of you to understand your "jobs" without explicitly communicating them with each other, even if you just go by the "frontmost player contests during kick-off, other player stays in defense, and you switch when the situation requires it" rule. Maybe I've just been lucky with my teammates in 2v2, but I've found they tend to be much more willing to cycle back and defend when necessary.

Thraktor

What's the criteria for an aerial?

I'm doing the training and I've scored plenty but only 2 have actually counted

I'm pretty sure you just have to be above a certain height when you contact the ball. Aerial boosting isn't even strictly necessary, as you can get it by jumping off the wall without a boost.

Coincidence? I think NOT

hLnP20z.jpg

lHVhPmC.jpg

Mik2121

After seeing so many videos and stuff I was so excited to play it, went to the PSN Store (Japanese one is my main) and... it wasn't available! Why in this day and age Japan still doesn't get a lot of the big indie titles, specially when they barely have anything to translate and they sell enough in the west to warrant a try in the Japanese store :(

Anyway, do you guys recommend PS4 or PC? I'd like to have it on PS4 for the comfort, but maybe PC for the userbase? Or there isn't much difference?

hao chi

Anyway, do you guys recommend PS4 or PC? I'd like to have it on PS4 for the comfort, but maybe PC for the userbase? Or there isn't much difference?

PS4 likely has more players online since it was on PS+, but that's irrelevant anyway due to crossplay between platforms. PC version can run better depending on your PC, but the deciding factor for me would be which platform my friends play on, since as of now you can't party up with players on a different platform. You can join friends in custom games regardless of their platform though.

Hasney

After seeing so many videos and stuff I was so excited to play it, went to the PSN Store (Japanese one is my main) and... it wasn't available! Why in this day and age Japan still doesn't get a lot of the big indie titles, specially when they barely have anything to translate and they sell enough in the west to warrant a try in the Japanese store :(

PC purely for performance. Locked 60fps on all maps or beyond with a tweak. It's also likely your monitor will have better input lag than the TV which will also make a difference.

Dominator

Played a 1v1 match online and won 9-1. Guy never quit out so we started another game and he just never moved. I scored 63 goals before the clock ran out lmfao

I scored before he would be booted for inactivity. I don't know how but it was still fun just getting the goals off the kickoffs, every single time lol

Xyber

PS4 likely has more players online since it was on PS+, but that's irrelevant anyway due to crossplay between platforms. PC version can run better depending on your PC, but the deciding factor for me would be which platform my friends play on, since as of now you can't party up with players on a different platform. You can join friends in custom games regardless of their platform though.

Player base doesn't really matter since it's crossplay between the platforms. And it has sold almost a million on PC anyway, so even without PS4 players it's a very healthy player base.

Go with the version you can play with friends on and if that doesn't matter, PC is definitely the better version if your PC is good enough.

My nightly routine seems to be... booting up Rocket League and playing until I realize how badly I suck and that I would be better off playing something that doesn't frustrate me :(

Fun game.... just convinced I'll never be good enough at it to really enjoy it.

Allforce

My nightly routine seems to be... booting up Rocket League and playing until I realize how badly I suck and that I would be better off playing something that doesn't frustrate me :(

Fun game.... just convinced I'll never be good enough at it to really enjoy it.

You can be good at the game and not some aerial goal-scoring machine. Know how to defend well, know how to always hit that ball into the opposing corner if there's no shot on goal available. Centering balls is more important I think than just racing around trying to hit it, I always try to get that ball to fly across the goal in some capacity and let someone clean up.

FUCK, I wish you could make season games shorter. At the very least (with 9 games + playoffs) you're gonna be spending an hour and a half to get though a season. And if your AI partner manages to suck badly enough to kill you in a playoff game? Congrats, you're starting over. Trophies shouldn't force you to do this crap. Playing with AI just isn't any fun.

Yup season modes are often terrible especially offline season modes

A video would be cool, but what they really need ASAP are loading screen tips. Each time the game is on the loading screen it would have a tip. They could include basic stuff that people don't realize if they didn't play the training tutorials as well as strategies and team play like watching where you're going, not following teammates into corners, going for the ball at kickoff if you're closest, staying in the goal for a second if you're closest to the goal, team rotations, etc. And of course include an option to turn off the tips.

You can be good at the game and not some aerial goal-scoring machine. Know how to defend well, know how to always hit that ball into the opposing corner if there's no shot on goal available. Centering balls is more important I think than just racing around trying to hit it, I always try to get that ball to fly across the goal in some capacity and let someone clean up.

I know... but I play so many games where it's clear that I just don't know the basics.

But I forced myself to play ranked because I feel like that would put the pressure on me to play smart. Winded up increasing my 3v3 ranking from an abysmal 330 to 401. I was MVP for every victory, so I feel like I AM improving. Now I'm going to go back to unranked for another week :p

I know... but I play so many games where it's clear that I just don't know the basics.

But I forced myself to play ranked because I feel like that would put the pressure on me to play smart. Winded up increasing my 3v3 ranking from an abysmal 330 to 401. I was MVP for every victory, so I feel like I AM improving. Now I'm going to go back to unranked for another week :p

Do the goalie/shooter/aerial tutorials. They really help you improve your fundamentals.

Unicorn

60 hour work weeks are destroying me. I don't even have energy to boot this game up, so the occasional moments before I pass out in the evening where I can see some gifs is my only escape from this insane workload.

Xyber

I prefer playing against AI. The ball isn't moving in the tutorials, so I feel they're less useful, once you've gone through them once.

The ball definitely moves, but there is no variation within the different tutorials so you can kinda get by by learning for that exact moment.

Choose 1vs1. Then the only AI you have to worry about is your opponent.

Saw this on reddit. The tips are hilarious but true. Love the pretty girl analogy in tip #3.

The first tip though is both funny and well telestrated. This makes me think of an idea for training. In free play mode--and perhaps exhibition--allow an option to have the ball with bright blue and orange highlights: blue always overlaid on the side facing the blue goal, and vice versa for orange. (Or maybe the opposite if you think it more intuitive to hit the blue side toward the blue goal.) This would help teach people to hit the correct side of the ball.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02r-_vu4IRk

KingKong

is an aerial something more than hitting the ball in the air? like does it have to not bounce before it scores? hit it in mid air, got the goal, no achievement :(

is an aerial something more than hitting the ball in the air? like does it have to not bounce before it scores? hit it in mid air, got the goal, no achievement :(

It has to count as an aerial hit. You have to hit the ball on a certain height for it to count. I'm guessing you musn't be able to reach it with a double jump alone for it to count as an aerial.

alba

Little is the new Big

You have to be above the height line of the goal when the ball goes in or it won't count as an aeral but just an aeral hit.

Soulflarz

Banned

Aerial shots have to be done at a height that is higher than a double jumps maximum height if I remember correctly.

Man I really wish they'd break down the MVP award into Best Striker, Midfielder, and Defender awards. I just wanna see more post-game stats and awards.

alba

Little is the new Big
Man I really wish they'd break down the MVP award into Best Striker, Midfielder, and Defender awards. I just wanna see more post-game stats and awards.

Also when you clear a ball that was close to the goal but is not in the box, you only get +20 for the clear and nothing close to a save. I hope they try to improve on some of the scoring and yes, awards for offense AND defense would be great.

We had a bunch in the original game that we could draw from. Will bring it up this week.

As for stat tracking stuff.. it's a really big problem to automatically distinguish something like a useful "clear" that stops a goal vs. a random one that doesn't matter so much. Saves right now require the ball's trajectory to be sending it into the goal within limits on distance/speed, which works fairly well, but obviously doesn't track stuff like high clearing what will obviously be an aerial goal. I totally get the motivation to be better recognized for you're doing (on defense in particular) but it's not always possible to distinguish this stuff unfortunately. Doesn't mean we won't try, just saying it's not an easily scoped feature we can just tack onto the to-do list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom