• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT| Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

akileese

I played 3x3 randoms 99% of the time and think I only saw 1 veteran before. I am also a veteran lvl 32, where are these matches with only pros/vets?

I play a lot of ranked to weed out the trolls. I should have prefaced my comment with that. My mistake!

Sjefen

After Veteran ranking is
Expert
. I've only seen one in all my time playing (almost 500 games). He wasn't that good ;)

Rank doesn't determine skills but more behavior imo, but there are some really really good players out there, but they may have a heritage from Super rocket powered battle cars.

I definitely don't represent my rank well(Veteran). I just play a shitload but don't practice enough so I make a lot of stupid mistakes. When i do have a good game though there is a glimmer of a what may be.

Just make the shoulder buttons change player perspective. They can easily have L1/L2 cycle through one team and R1/R2 cycle through the other.

Then face buttons for ball view and free cam, and they'd be good.

It's going to be awesome to see this game 6 months from now. Psyonix is so eager to be successful and I imagine they and the original fans are so giddy to see how far they've come.

The fact that sales are on the rise on PC (someone said this earlier in this thread) is pretty damn cool.

Edit: They also need to show who is being spectated by having their name below the car.

methane47

Just make the shoulder buttons change player perspective. They can easily have L1/L2 cycle through one team and R1/R2 cycle through the other.

Then face buttons for ball view and free cam, and they'd be good.

It's going to be awesome to see this game 6 months from now. Psyonix is so eager to be successful and I imagine they and the original fans are so giddy to see how far they've come.

The fact that sales are on the rise on PC (someone said this earlier in this thread) is pretty damn cool.

Edit: They also need to show who is being spectated by having their name below the car.

Yeah the dev really needs to make a proper spectator mode, that doesn't completely interupt the view.
Rocket League is RIPE for MLG

Just saw that third game wow

Everything that's great about Rocket League in one game:

-comebacks
-crucial demolitions (this game would be so different without this feature)
-aerials, passes, and wall shots
-buzzer beaters/denying overtime

What a fantastic finish

Uh. Wow. These guys are fantastic. The aerial play, especially the saves, is just remarkable.

IMO the sexiest thing in Rocket League are not aerial shots, but dribbles, aerial passes, wall passes, and one timers. We saw Sad Junior assist a fantastic one timer to Kronovi. We also saw a player dribble, despite it being unsuccessful, and of course, Kyle's wall bounce in the final seconds of game 3, along with keeping the ball in the air for the buzzer beater demonstrated the most skilled and pressure-intensive moments of the game.

Anyone who plays knows how incredible these kinds of moves are, and how hard it is to not choke. It was such a perfect game.

In fact, I suspect Psyonix and both teams conspired to script the whole thing to raise hype, rather than play a genuine game. It was that fantastic

The same thought occurred to me :p

Psyonix needs to come clean. I am not opposed to Rocket League WWE, where drama unfolds and is ultimately settled in the arena.

By the way, I noticed that the games weren't played locally/using LAN. Is this not a big deal for the game's esports future? Was everybody playing from home?

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Psyonix needs to come clean. I am not opposed to Rocket League WWE, where drama unfolds and is ultimately settled in the arena.

By the way, I noticed that the games weren't played locally/using LAN. Is this not a big deal for the game's esports future? Was everybody playing from home?

I don't think it even can be played over LAN...? Everything is done on dedicated servers, there's no P2P hosting.

Pretty amazing play. I've watched a couple of streams of some of the better teams, and the frequent aerials are consistently entertaining to watch. Makes me want to up my aerial game, which is woefully inconsistent :<

Thoughts on the broadcast:

- Announcers have the right level of excitement and knowledge of the game
- They needed to mix in more overhead camera shots along with the chase cam stuff. It can be dizzying to people who don't understand how the game works when the ball is ping-ponging around between aerial hits without a frame of reference. Maybe establish some fixed point camera angles that show the action, similar to most physical sports.
- Psyonix needs to figure out how to hide the player selection wheel for esports broadcasts, or at least make it less obtrusive. It blocked the commentators from seeing crucial plays several times.
- In a competition aimed around drawing spectators like this, players should not be able to skip replays. Don't care if the players are itching to get back into the match, if they want these competitions to draw big audiences, they have to make it as watchable as possible. And goal replays are the money shots.
- Follow cam needs a "following [player]" up in the left corner

Good show overall, and definitely captured the potential for Rocket League as a spectator sport. I know I'll keep tuning in if they're all this good!

v1lla21

I fell asleep last night so I didn't put the tournament thread up but will do once I'm out of work. After talking to BShadowJ, we decided to hold the 1v1 tournament after the 2v2 tourney. This way we'll avoid confusion and those that wish to play in both competitions have enough time to set up games properly without being pressured due to time constraints and game fatigue. Start getting your teams ready :p

It's fairly common for League play / etc. to happen online and then have in-person LAN tournaments for the big stuff.

AcridMeat

Banned
Holy crap those finals! HYPE
Kronovi not letting it fall and getting punked for it made me happy.

In terms of the production of the finals, I quite liked it. Good commentators, nice studio. I will echo that the camera operator seemed a bit too eager at times to show a different angle as they blocked a couple key shots, or switched further away from them. I wonder if it'd be better having two camera operators, one being a constant wide shot not following anybody that you can switch to while the other finds the right player to follow.

Holy crap those finals! HYPE
Kronovi not letting it fall and getting punked for it made me happy.

I was watching his stream on Twitch for this game. He was told to just "tip it away" by a teammate. Which he did perfectly. Nobody expected what happened next. They weren't even bummed about it. They were happy they put on a good show.

Scroll to the very very very end of this broadcast to see that match from his perspective - http://www.twitch.tv/camgears/v/11912055

AcridMeat

Banned
Of course I get from their perspective what they're trying to do. The fact is he tipped it where they were. Just an unfortunate way he tipped it. Had he hit it the other direction it would have been OT.

My point is I like seeing players punished for mistakes in the most epic ways like that.

Of course I get from their perspective what they're trying to do. The fact is he tipped it where they were. Just an unfortunate way he tipped it. Had he hit it the other direction it would have been OT.

My point is I like seeing players punished for mistakes in the most epic ways like that.

And here I am super impressed that he can fly up there and tip it at all. Like... that shit is hard. Then there's having awareness of the other team's locations while under pressure like that.... man. It was an epic ending though. So much happened in 5 seconds.

Pretty amazing play. I've watched a couple of streams of some of the better teams, and the frequent aerials are consistently entertaining to watch. Makes me want to up my aerial game, which is woefully inconsistent :<

Thoughts on the broadcast:

- Announcers have the right level of excitement and knowledge of the game
- They needed to mix in more overhead camera shots along with the chase cam stuff. It can be dizzying to people who don't understand how the game works when the ball is ping-ponging around between aerial hits without a frame of reference. Maybe establish some fixed point camera angles that show the action, similar to most physical sports.
- Psyonix needs to figure out how to hide the player selection wheel for esports broadcasts, or at least make it less obtrusive. It blocked the commentators from seeing crucial plays several times.
- In a competition aimed around drawing spectators like this, players should not be able to skip replays. Don't care if the players are itching to get back into the match, if they want these competitions to draw big audiences, they have to make it as watchable as possible. And goal replays are the money shots.
- Follow cam needs a "following [player]" up in the left corner

Good show overall, and definitely captured the potential for Rocket League as a spectator sport. I know I'll keep tuning in if they're all this good!

Agreed about not skipping replays.

Also, they need to add more highlights to the replay editor. A spectator should be able to ideally save a replay, and then easily jump to goals, epic saves, saves, and any other kinds of specific goals like aerials when reviewing a game.

Final games should be best of 5.

After each game, players should be able to get a small break, with commentary going over the game: as they talk, they can go over post-game stats and heatmaps (if Psyonix adds it in), and in addition, we can see them jump to replay footage that is easily replayed in the editor, provided that the editor gives us more control to jump around.

Lots of potential to really enrich the game as an esport.

Also, they need to break down MVP into Best Striker, Midfield, and Defense awards, so that those stats can also be analyzed. These can be calculated by combining specific points that are earned in the game.

There's tons of potential

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ride or Die trophy, how the fuck? I've definitely equipped both the cars with a new decal and paint finish and won a game (several with both, actually)? Or which specific decals and finishes do you have to use? Do I then have to win one game with each car? The description is pretty damn fuzzy.

EDIT: And the 180 powerslide one? I've done that with both wheels! Fuck.

I mean, trophies aren't that important to me, but when they plain don't work I get annoyed.

Lan Dong Mik

And why would I want them?
Sorry if this has been answered already but is there a way to party up with PC players when I'm playing on PS4 yet? I prefer playing this on PS4 but my friends all have it on PC. I want to buy the new dlc but not sure which platform I want to purchase it for.

v1lla21

Sorry if this has been answered already but is there a way to party up with PC players when I'm playing on PS4 yet? I prefer playing this on PS4 but my friends all have it on PC. I want to buy the new dlc but not sure which platform I want to purchase it for.
Yup, create a private match with a password and name. They can then join the match

RoadHazard

Gold Member
For some reason the season mode one wouldn't unlock for me. I got all the other ones without a problem though.

The paint one and the 180 slide one worked for you? I'm 110% sure I've done what they tell me to do, but nothing.

EDIT: Ok, the 180 drift one suddenly unlocked, after like 50 of them rather than one with each wheel set like the description says.

hydruxo

The paint one and the 180 slide one worked for you? I'm 110% sure I've done what they tell me to do, but nothing.

EDIT: Ok, the 180 drift one suddenly unlocked, after like 50 of them rather than one with each wheel set like the description says.

Yeah now that I think about it the drift trophy was kind of finnicky, took me a while too.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
FUCK, I wish you could make season games shorter. At the very least (with 9 games + playoffs) you're gonna be spending an hour and a half to get though a season. And if your AI partner manages to suck badly enough to kill you in a playoff game? Congrats, you're starting over. Trophies shouldn't force you to do this crap. Playing with AI just isn't any fun.

Xyber

What do you use to make webm?

Someone here on the forum made a .bat file quite some time ago. Here's the files you need, unpack it to Program Files (and not x86) and then you can either make a shortcut to the bat-file and put it on your desktop or you can add it to your SendTo menu when you right click on something (let me know if you need help with this if you want to do it this way, which I think is the best way).

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8927515/WebM.rar

To make the webm you just drag the video you want to the bat-file and then follow the instructions.

A short guide to follow is to set the resolution to 1280, quality level to 4, bitrate between 5 and 10 depending on how long the clip is and use VP8 (I've had some problems with VP9 personally).

FUCK, I wish you could make season games shorter. At the very least (with 9 games + playoffs) you're gonna be spending an hour and a half to get though a season. And if your AI partner manages to suck badly enough to kill you in a playoff game? Congrats, you're starting over. Trophies shouldn't force you to do this crap. Playing with AI just isn't any fun.

When I did it the first time I just set to bots to the easiest, made a few goals and then just did other shit while the match played out. I have no interest to play with bots so that seemed like the best way to go about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom