• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

I didn't want to write this, but here you go:
Imagine a bell-curve. Just for the purpose of illustration it represents my fun with this game. At the start I didn't like this game so much, but as my skill picked up I started to enjoy it so much that I played it EVERY day. I was addicted. This is the first uphill movement on that bell-curve. As we near the peak of that curve my enjoyment reached the maximum at around 9 months after the launch on Xbox One. That's when my skill slowly started to stagnate, but I pushed forward trying to get better and better. Results were minimal, but that's when I reached Superstar in Season 3. Champion ranks were in reach. I wasn't able to reach them. That's when frustration started to kick in. I knew that I could get good enough to be there but in the end I couldn't. That's where it started to go downhill on that bell-curve at the end of Season 3. The start of Season 4 brought new life into my enjoyment up until I reached Diamond 2/3 in Standard/Solo Standard. That's when it went down rapidly and now I'm here at the bottom hating a game I once loved and thought I'll never quit playing.
I didn't read this big paragraph. I don't care. You said you were leaving. Bye.

Noobcraft

Keypit you're going to costream RL with me to test the feature. Also you're going to help me get back into gold ranking for doubles.

Anustart

What's the best method to get something of a solid foundation? I'm playing ranked 2s, but it's just me and randoms so it's frustrating. No passing, they chase the ball, slam it every time instead of mindful hits.

I feel like if I continue like this it'll just be fruitless.

v1lla21

What's the best method to get something of a solid foundation? I'm playing ranked 2s, but it's just me and randoms so it's frustrating. No passing, they chase the ball, slam it every time instead of mindful hits.

Sit back and wait. Be the defensive player. That's what I do.

Soulflarz

Banned

theres...well, a few methods

-learn proper from day 1
this is hell and will tilt you but in the end is probably better so you don't fall into the gold/plat/diamond trap of being the slowest player alive with 0 mechanics. I'm not talking mechanics alone mind you, but moreso how to...well....play rocket league in theory and what's a good decision or not. There's a reason some people have 400hr on the game and can play in what was gc last season.
Can you read the ball in a basic sense? Can you double jump aerial and fly? You're probably good for this route then, but no one pretends it's fun. You also need someone better than me to give you that advice, because lets be honest, next to no one in the community understands rl at a proper level. (Pep teach us all thanks bb)

-grind ranked for generations to learn
this is the average method and why people are at 2000 hours and somehow can't play in the same lobby as me.

-pretend you care and get tilted at everyone else

-alternatively add me and play unranked since idc anymore and rl is a passtime for another month and a half till I get home and can actually work on improving again

Anustart

Sit back and wait. Be the defensive player. That's what I do.

I do tend to play more defensively. I get so many saves per game lol.

On an unrelated note, Game earlier today teammate messaged saying quit crashing into me, though it was him smashing into me.

v1lla21

I do tend to play more defensively. I get so many saves per game lol.

On an unrelated note, Game earlier today teammate messaged saying quit crashing into me, though it was him smashing into me.
Do you play on PC? I'll be on for while rn if you want to party up for doubles.

Made it to Diamond playing doubles on my own.

Then dropped back to Plat 3 after getting paired with some apparently blind children. Feels bad man.

BPK

I haven't played for a while, but my god has competitive mode become toxic on ps4. Teammates are swearing at each other for "ball chasing." We won one game fairly handily, but our teammate was just ripping into us for "f%^$ing ball chasing," which we weren't really doing anyways.

Unicorn

I haven't played for a while, but my god has competitive mode become toxic on ps4. Teammates are swearing at each other for "ball chasing." We won one game fairly handily, but our teammate was just ripping into us for "f%^$ing ball chasing," which we weren't really doing anyways.
Ball chasing is the go to remark when they don't know what the fuck to say. Either they fucked up and don't know how or want to blame you but don't have actual feedback.

Or they're children.

Grinchy

Banned
This game is kinda like Call of Duty when it comes to voice/text chat. The general public plays it, and the general public is unbelievably stupid. So, the chat has to just be turned off. There's no point in trying to deal with the general public.

Ball chasing is the go to remark when they don't know what the fuck to say. Either they fucked up and don't know how or want to blame you but don't have actual feedback.

Or they're children.

still better than the people who just say "tm8" after every goal against

Soulflarz

Banned
/shrug

I mean for example I threw like 70 points in 2s with ikewolf cause I can't play top 100 matches, was basically suicide for rank @4am but fun

I'm in diamond again, nothing makes sense
Like people don't have enough ball control to do hard shots on, so sometimes their shot goes wide instead on the side- I try to redirect and sometimes miss
"WOW YOU RUINED MY FREE NET" is their logic, almost always causing them to ragequit or throw

My logic is I assume the defender isn't an idiot and rotated back into net and it was shot at me to guarantee the goal, because that's generally how higher ranks work. Or backpassing into weird spots and it hitting me in standard positioning, they get mad at me for touching...

Wew

Can win at this rank but man the backwards logic from 99% of the community is still loltier

Also gotta be stupid careful with double touches because half the time they prejump it because they've never seen those as shots instead of backboard passes so if I don't get it in they flail and we get counterscored like I'm in 1s or something.

/shrug

I mean for example I threw like 70 points in 2s with ikewolf cause I can't play top 100 matches, was basically suicide for rank @4am but fun

I'm in diamond again, nothing makes sense
Like people don't have enough ball control to do hard shots on, so sometimes their shot goes wide instead on the side- I try to redirect and sometimes miss
"WOW YOU RUINED MY FREE NET" is their logic, almost always causing them to ragequit or throw

My logic is I assume the defender isn't an idiot and rotated back into net and it was shot at me to guarantee the goal, because that's generally how higher ranks work. Or backpassing into weird spots and it hitting me in standard positioning, they get mad at me for touching...

Wew

Can win at this rank but man the backwards logic from 99% of the community is still loltier

Also gotta be stupid careful with double touches because half the time they prejump it because they've never seen those as shots instead of backboard passes so if I don't get it in they flail and we get counterscored like I'm in 1s or something.
Yeah this is what I was trying to tell you when we first played 2s. You go for a lot of extra touches that 99% of diamond players aren't capable of, so those of us who have played hundreds or thousands of diamond matches can have a hard time mentally accounting for that. After a few games I kind of settled into it but it's different at first for sure. Great practice though.

I've been focusing on rotating and not double committing a lot lately, just being smart in how I position and when I go for challenges. Still plenty to improve but I do think it's helped my game overall. I also rotate to post a lot more now. :p

Soulflarz

Banned
Yeah this is what I was trying to tell you when we first played 2s. You go for a lot of extra touches that 99% of diamond players aren't capable of, so those of us who have played hundreds or thousands of diamond matches can have a hard time mentally accounting for that. After a few games I kind of settled into it but it's different at first for sure. Great practice though.

I've been focusing on rotating and not double committing a lot lately, just being smart in how I position and when I go for challenges. Still plenty to improve but I do think it's helped my game overall. I also rotate to post a lot more now. :p

I traditionally ballchase my entire way back to champ since I can 1v2 the offense at that level
>__<

Source: have done it a half dozen times now from tossing rank with friends :p

Nete

Decided to open a few crates, as has been ages since the last time I tried... and got a 20XX decal. I'm still not sure if I like or hate the thing.

Decided to open a few crates, as has been ages since the last time I tried... and got a 20XX decal. I'm still not sure if I like or hate the thing.

I'll never understand the love for that decal. Though saying that I don't like any of the ones out right now, or at least not enough to put keys down on them. There was a badass concept called Galactic or something like that which looked freaking awesome and is the decal I've wanted them to make since the crates came out.

If and when anything like that releases my journey will finally be complete. *wink wink nudge nudge ErichWK :p*

VLiberty

3vs3, one mate leaves at the very beginning(and we could talk about the other mate's knowledge of the basics...), getting to overtime by scoring four goals is quite an accomplishment even though I lost, but I just wish I didn't have to play in these conditions

Grinchy

Banned

It's a weird one. If you make the primary and secondary colors the same color, it does a nice warp between that color and black. If you make them different colors, you get pretty weird results.

It's the most expensive black market decal and it is dropping in price, so if you don't like it, it's a good one to sell.

edit- in fact, I decided to dump mine while I still could. I got 28 keys back from it. Maybe I'll finally buy a mantis

Grinchy

Banned
Mantis is very cool, I've just been waiting on the prices to drop to maybe grab a colored one.

I've just been really into the Endo lately and it looked so great with the 20xx decal.

luffeN

Does anyone have the Octane ZSR and the Namesake skin up for trading? I have crates and stuff. luffeN on Steam with an angry Luffy avatar.

Edit: Just found out that the Namesake skin is a standard skin. I got the ZSR!

Nete

So... which website would be the best way to get rid of the 20XX? Has been a while since I paid attention to the trade scene.

>takes plat 3 to champ on a fresh account

welp
alt in 2hr with a plat higher than my main

https://gfycat.com/KeySaneCat

champs are dumb they can't comprehend hitting fast :/

legit stuff like this is a free goal every time.

To be fair they're champ for a reason. They are about 9 ranks and 27 divisions behind you :p

I'm only low plat and even I can tell the difference if I slide back to champ. I just ballchase back to Plat lol.

Nete

Ah, good ol' trading, where "WTT this for this" becomes on buyers mind a "WTT this for this thing I don't actually mention and has half the value, or this other thing I don't mention either and you can't get rid of".

Now I remember why I stopped to pay attention to all this side of the game :p

Ah, good ol' trading, where "WTT this for this" becomes on buyers mind a "WTT this for this thing I don't actually mention and has half the value, or this other thing I don't mention either and you can't get rid of".

Now I remember why I stopped to pay attention to all this side of the game :p
Your best bet would be trading the 20XX for straight keys and nothing else. Easiest way to know you're getting the right value.

Nete

That's actually what I'm trying to do, but somehow people still tries to create their own offers while ignoring what I ask for.

Top Bottom