• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League |OT2| I'd Rather Watch The EUROS Than Play

I can't get much passed 2 bar silver in Solo Standard, and I've been grindin hard lately. And I'm definitely a safe player who tries to wait for good opportunities, I just suck.

I've been stuck in 3 bar silver for what feels like forever in 2s. Got up to Gold for about 2 games and then dropped back down. Just gotta get good I guess.

I was wondering how this was going to work. Seems if you are in tabeltop mode on switch using one joycon you can't play online. Wise decision.

rocket.png

Tawpgun

I fully expect a "Mario kart" to be an exclusive vehicle.

What happens when someone from PC/Switch comes across a xbox player using the Warthog/Armadillo/Xbox boosts? Do they see that in game?

Soulflarz

Banned
Disgusting stuff. I sometimes wonder if people really mean to do it or it happens by accident, especially on ground dribble.

It depends on the mechanic tbh. Air dribbles can be varied a ton midflight unlike many other things. Like if I drop a tornado flick slightly, it's going to either have me spin out or it's going to send the ball flying way too high. If I drop an air dribble or go too high, I can still go to push a pinch to save myself or even go for the backboard.

Air dribbles aren't that bad once you learn them. The hard part is consistently getting the secondary option of jump off wall->roll into ball->backboard at any fast speed so that a defender has to work for the save.

ErichWK

So I switched out of Mantis and went back to Endo. I feel like I am playing better...I don't know. But sometimes Mantis is like TOO big.

also..eff i need to learn to powerslide on left trigger. I am still using it on Square.

So I switched out of Mantis and went back to Endo. I feel like I am playing better...I don't know. But sometimes Mantis is like TOO big.

also..eff i need to learn to powerslide on left trigger. I am still using it on Square.
Powerslide/air roll on L1
Boost on R1

Took a few days to adjust for each but I can't imagine going back.

Powerslide/air roll on L1
Boost on R1

Took a few days to adjust for each but I can't imagine going back.

This sounds terrible.

I do Air Roll on L1.
Powerslide on Triangle
Boost on Circle
Camera on Square.

This allows me to powerslide and boost simultaneously for sharp / quick turns and make corrections on the fly.

I think I'm going to try this. Do you use both your index and middle fingers to accelerate (middle) and boost (index) or do you move your index finger from R1 to R2 as you play?
I have my index finger on R1 and middle finger on R2 at all times. It's a little weird at first and I don't do it for other games but now it's second nature.

This sounds terrible.

I do Air Roll on L1.
Powerslide on Triangle
Boost on Circle
Camera on Square.

This allows me to powerslide and boost simultaneously for sharp / quick turns and make corrections on the fly.
My problem with having boost as a face button is it's hard to jump and boost at the same time consistently. If you want to flip forward while boosting you have to double tap a face button with one part of your thumb while keeping another button held with a different part of your thumb. Using shoulder buttons is so much easier.

I have my index finger on R1 and middle finger on R2 at all times. It's a little weird at first and I don't do it for other games but now it's second nature.

My problem with having boost as a face button is it's hard to jump and boost at the same time consistently. If you want to flip forward while boosting you have to double tap a face button with one part of your thumb while keeping another button held with a different part of your thumb. Using shoulder buttons is so much easier.

???

You never hold boost through a flip entirely.
You're working against yourself!

You're supposed to jump + boost front flip + boost through the initial 1/3rd rotation
when your car is facing backwards, release boost so your momentum isn't affected,
then when your car is facing 2/3rds forward, start boosting again.

Having your thumb do this on a face button makes this infinitely easier.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Yay, I'm freed from this game. Every time I launch the game(which only happens maybe once or twice a week) and want to play some matches I'm put off by every minor thing that other players do resulting in me hating the game even more.

Unicorn

This sounds terrible.

I do Air Roll on L1.
Powerslide on Triangle
Boost on Circle
Camera on Square.

This is me, but I haven't done the camera slide switch yet. Too scared about the relearning of shit.

Grinchy

Banned
Yay, I'm freed from this game. Every time I launch the game(which only happens maybe once or twice a week) and want to play some matches I'm put off by every minor thing that other players do resulting in me hating the game even more.

Damn, man. Play some other games. I don't think I've ever seen you post about having fun playing this one.

Something happened a few days back. I played like a damn god out of nowhere for a whole day. I even know what I was doing with my playstyle to help encourage it too but I just can't pull it off anymore. I'm genuinely wondering if it's because I was drinking a can of monster that day which I never drink and was wired asf XD

It depends on the mechanic tbh. Air dribbles can be varied a ton midflight unlike many other things. Like if I drop a tornado flick slightly, it's going to either have me spin out or it's going to send the ball flying way too high. If I drop an air dribble or go too high, I can still go to push a pinch to save myself or even go for the backboard.

Air dribbles aren't that bad once you learn them. The hard part is consistently getting the secondary option of jump off wall->roll into ball->backboard at any fast speed so that a defender has to work for the save.

Strangely my battle with the air dribbles is still that first hit. I'm pretty solid on controlling it now and can comfortably take it to the backboard and drop it, shoot etc. Instead I manage to bean that first touch sending it too high, too far center field etc by being a damn idiot. It's not even that I can't do the first touch since I can do it all back to back in free play. I just get that bit too eager trying to beat the opponent to the ball. I fall victim to it from the ground and floor.

Soulflarz

Banned
typing this all fast and such so apologies for bad grammar or punctuation missing unlike usual posts buut

backboard it or pass it then, or guarantee the dunk on their touch

air dribbles shouldnt be used to beat someone to the ball or a team- it's supposed to beat the last guy or two if they're awfully positioned (or a dunk is guaranteed)

if they're close enough you're at a fear of being beat the only real air dribble to do is off your roof and pretty much very vertical, everything else should just be flicked

generally issues arise from bad options/doing them at the wrong time.

if you're trying to flowchart it and be creative at the same time-
air dribbles are never optimal, they're a mixup- they're good when your opponent is midrange- when they're shadowing and can challenge you. If they're in net with good positioning at a post, you're better off taking another touch or slamming it at the wall as hard as you can. If they're on you, flick that ball immediately. Really, another touch->powershot is optimal strictly speaking, it's very hard to save mechanically and still recover. However, air dribbles are a great mixup if you wanna dunk them or force it over them, especially if they don't have much boost.

It's actually the take off touch rather than the touch in the air. To be honest though the advice likely holds true regardless. If there's a good chance I might get challenged trying to set myself up for the dribble I guess going for it instead of a clear or pass is probably a bad move. I'm slowly pushing bad habits like these out but keep finding new ones as I go lol. Part of the process I guess. At the very least, I probably have been doing dumb shit like this for ages and never spotted it at all.

Soulflarz

Banned
It's actually the take off touch rather than the touch in the air. To be honest though the advice likely holds true regardless. If there's a good chance I might get challenged trying to set myself up for the dribble I guess going for it instead of a clear or pass is probably a bad move. I'm slowly pushing bad habits like these out but keep finding new ones as I go lol. Part of the process I guess. At the very least, I probably have been doing dumb shit like this for ages and never spotted it at all.

Don't take off with it then. I next to never do because it's really easy to read unless you save the second jump for a higher pop at the last second you can, I like to pop it up on my bounce dribble then pick between all my options (from flick on instant catch to fake jump to powershot if they don't challenge to air dribble it at apex)

It's way harder to control but also much better.

https://streamable.com/7g5t6 example my friend sent me a week or two ago- look at how he goes up and THEN chooses to air dribble, you'd do it similar to that but at a lower height. (also less efficiently because his air dribbles are godtier)

Solid advice. I think that may have been one of the things I was also doing on my one special day lol. I definitely have a bad habit of overcommitting to an idea a second or two sooner than I need to. I did notice I was playing unusually fast that day but it felt slow and controlled, possibly because of having that little bit more patience in the right places rather than the wrong ones, I'm starting to think this one in particular is the source of many of my bad habits.

I see what you mean about your friends efficiency too. He cut that boost at the perfect time but went up so damn fast. I'd have likely hit that into the ceiling and end up chasing it XD

Can you stop with these shitty posts? You do this every week.

Soulflarz

Banned
3s sucks unless
A) everyone can play at relatively the same pace (a gc+a diamond is suicide since by the time the diamond is in position the GC is already there if they're not holding themselves back solely to rotate 100% proper)
B) you all know how to rotate
C) you know how to do teamplays

v1lla21

Nothing like beating a couple of homophobic racists and having them forfeit. Pussy ass bitches didn't say a word after. Lol.

TheKeyPit

Banned
See ya next week.
I'm way past that point.
Damn, man. Play some other games. I don't think I've ever seen you post about having fun playing this one.
This game is on #2 in my GOTY 2016 list. It's the best competitive game out there because it relies 100% on skill and every player is equally "equipped". (different hitboxes aside)
Can you stop with these shitty posts? You do this every week.
I'm so sorry that I slowly started to hate this gem since the beginning of this year.

I didn't want to write this, but here you go:
Imagine a bell-curve. Just for the purpose of illustration it represents my fun with this game. At the start I didn't like this game so much, but as my skill picked up I started to enjoy it so much that I played it EVERY day. I was addicted. This is the first uphill movement on that bell-curve. As we near the peak of that curve my enjoyment reached the maximum at around 9 months after the launch on Xbox One. That's when my skill slowly started to stagnate, but I pushed forward trying to get better and better. Results were minimal, but that's when I reached Superstar in Season 3. Champion ranks were in reach. I wasn't able to reach them. That's when frustration started to kick in. I knew that I could get good enough to be there but in the end I couldn't. That's where it started to go downhill on that bell-curve at the end of Season 3. The start of Season 4 brought new life into my enjoyment up until I reached Diamond 2/3 in Standard/Solo Standard. That's when it went down rapidly and now I'm here at the bottom hating a game I once loved and thought I'll never quit playing.

???

You never hold boost through a flip entirely.
You're working against yourself!

You're supposed to jump + boost front flip + boost through the initial 1/3rd rotation
when your car is facing backwards, release boost so your momentum isn't affected,
then when your car is facing 2/3rds forward, start boosting again.

Having your thumb do this on a face button makes this infinitely easier.
I know this, haha.

I think it's hard to do the initial double jump press without letting go of boost with face buttons. Some people are fine with it which is cool too. "Infinitely easier" lol.

Soulflarz

Banned
thekeypit, even low gc s3 isn't near the top of the bell curve

The average low GC has fundamental flaws. Like, huge huge ones that make the game 1v2'able by the top.

Superstar isn't even near low GC.

What I'm saying is focus on improving- actually improving- instead of complaining. It took me a few weeks of hard play, but I can say as of Jan. I "fundamentally" understand how to play RL, which is something outside of the top very few can say. Learn how to play without hesitation. Seriously. Or just play for fun and don't complain idk, but you seem like you wanna play at a higher level and you're not happy you're not hitting it.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Bell-curve was just there to illustrate my fun-curve over the last year. Not much fun at the start, a lot of fun in the middle, no fun nearing the end.

I had my share of fun. The game is great, but I'm done playing it regularly.

I'm going back to it once a week because I'm participating in an online League here in Germany.

thekeypit, even low gc s3 isn't near the top of the bell curve

The average low GC has fundamental flaws. Like, huge huge ones that make the game 1v2'able by the top.

Superstar isn't even near low GC.

What I'm saying is focus on improving- actually improving- instead of complaining. It took me a few weeks of hard play, but I can say as of Jan. I "fundamentally" understand how to play RL, which is something outside of the top very few can say. Learn how to play without hesitation. Seriously. Or just play for fun and don't complain idk, but you seem like you wanna play at a higher level and you're not happy you're not hitting it.

Yeah i get his frustration I have nearly 2k hours and my highest rank is platinum 1 and that's because i tend to get carried at times. I'm probably only a gold player. I get frustrated with the fact that I'm not better by now but I still enjoy the game and know it's because I don't actually focus on getting better. I don't spend hours in training modes hitting the shots I'm bad at 100 times in a row or practicing dribbling etc. That and consistently playing with and against people better than you is how you get to that next level. I'm not there but I still have my fun.

v1lla21

Yeah i get his frustration I have nearly 2k hours and my highest rank is platinum 1 and that's because i tend to get carried at times. I'm probably only a gold player. I get frustrated with the fact that I'm not better by now but I still enjoy the game and know it's because I don't actually focus on getting better. I don't spend hours in training modes hitting the shots I'm bad at 100 times in a row or practicing dribbling etc. That and consistently playing with and against people better than you is how you get to that next level. I'm not there but I still have my fun.
Same way here. I don't focus on improving or trying to actually get to the top. I find it boring to practice and if the best I can get is somewhere in platinum while playing normally, I'm okay with that. That's what I have fun with.

Soulflarz

Banned
To each their own. I enjoy the time I put into practice because now the matches I'm in are 10x as fun (or the fact that I can randomly join scrims with people who are top 100 and they don't want to murder me) as plat and the extra mechanics feel very enjoyable, but I won't even pretend it wasn't a huge time commitment to improving.

Less than you'd actually assume, but still, you do need to make an effort.

In your defense you probably have 1k hours in the garage. :p

To each their own. I enjoy the time I put into practice because now the matches I'm in are 10x as fun (or the fact that I can randomly join scrims with people who are top 100 and they don't want to murder me) as plat and the extra mechanics feel very enjoyable, but I won't even pretend it wasn't a huge time commitment to improving.

Less than you'd actually assume, but still, you do need to make an effort.
All that and you're still trash.

;)

Pepiope

Im not one to Sit in training and practice either. I rather just queue some matches. Probably why my mechanical skill is so terrible, but you can go far just playing the game well rotationally.

Im not one to St in training and practice either. I rather just queue some matches. Probably why my mechanical skill is so terrible, but you can go far just playing the game well rotationally.

Well I'm also pretty shit at games,get anxious, a slow learner, with bad reaction times and clumsy hands. For a person like me I absolutely need to grind in training modes endlessly to get muscle memory down.

Rocket League is actually the only game I ever attempt to play ranked in. I used to love Counter strike and Smite but those matches were so long and I would be so stressed out at the end of them that even when I did good I was so drained I couldn't play another. With RL it's happened before but not as often.

Soulflarz

Banned
Im not one to St in training and practice either. I rather just queue some matches. Probably why my mechanical skill is so terrible, but you can go far just playing the game well rotationally.

Can confirm I have better mechanics than pep but im 90% sure he'd beat me in most situations off game knowledge.

tbf I didn't learn mechanics to get good. I learned it because I enjoy playing flashy and enjoy scoring in varying methods, to each their own.

However, I know people who were top 10 in leaderboards at level ~50ish with 1300 hours, with the majority of that being in free play, sooo

Top Bottom