• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

Pavaloo

Did anyone who pre-ordered from Gamestop get their pre-order songs? I figured it would be in the box like the DLC that came with Arkham City, but alas there is nothing there. :( I'm missing out on my Radiohead.

Philthy

So the "lag" issues is when you're running video and sound to an HDTV *direct* over HDMI?

But the lag issue is not present when you run PS3 HDMI -> Receiver -> seperate Speakers and HDTV via HDMI?

I've got a somewhat midrange set up, and I'm not going to fiddle with anything no matter how good this game is. I just can't.

HeySeuss

ShdwDrake said:
Is anyone playing this thats never played a guitar? I'm prepared to buy one because I've always been interested in learning but my schedule is always too random to get set lessons.
Yep. Got an acoustic for my daughter for her birthday and she doesn't touch it. So hopefully she will become more interested but I plan on giving it a go, and I've never played.

Let's do this.

HeySeuss

Pavaloo said:
Did anyone who pre-ordered from Gamestop get their pre-order songs? I figured it would be in the box like the DLC that came with Arkham City, but alas there is nothing there. :( I'm missing out on my Radiohead.
Check your receipt. They've been printing Live codes on there now for some preorder deals. Otherwise call and bitch.

Pavaloo

Shick Brithouse said:
Check your receipt. They've been printing Live codes on there now for some preorder deals. Otherwise call and bitch.

On the receipt itself? I had no idea, I'll have to check that when I get home. Thanks!

Just to make sure - the Epiphone Les Paul Junior doesn't mean smaller or anything, right? That just means it's entry level? I'm worried that by picking up the full package I'm not really getting a real guitar.

Dreamwriter said:
Just to make sure - the Epiphone Les Paul Junior doesn't mean smaller or anything, right? That just means it's entry level? I'm worried that by picking up the full package I'm not really getting a real guitar.

It's a full size guitar. Junior means entry level guitar, yes.

toymachine said:
Here's YouTube links for the OP

Hey Toymachine. Thanks for the links! GAF doesn't use HTML code though... if you can use BB scripts, I'll be more than happy to put it up! :D

Shick Brithouse said:

I checked mine. It isn't there! :( Gotta email EB now...

Shadybiz

This game is right up my alley, as I just started learning. Was going to buy a new amp this week, but this will likely take its place.

Can anyone tell me if an optical connection is okay to use as far as lag?

Ibanez RG3EXFM1, I choose you!

Shadybiz

shagg_187 said:
I'll try out Optical and let you know.

Awesome, thanks. Not a gamebreaker if it doesn't; I'll just need to play on the PC if that's the case. My entertainment center is a real pain to work with : )

Animator said:
I do that all the time. It is how I %100'd "plug-in baby" :D
I do the same with Go with the Flow. In fact, I don't even follow the chart and play my own tab sice it's easier to play it in the first string than switching, atleast for me. It's fun playing the song not intended yet to are right as it's the same sound. Feels good man!

lobdale

3 ft, coiled to the sky
302596_10100285368421360_16907981_48248965_1757032967_n.jpg

Got me this Strat knockoff at a used crap store for about 50 bucks, works great. Made by a Japanese(?) company called Photogenic.

No sense in buying a $300 guitar before you're even good enough to tell the difference.

DoubleTap

dont know if its the game or my cheap silvertone guitar but it's very picky when it comes to frets. especially on the 5th. you hold it in the middle and the game tells you its towards the left. meaning you hold it towards the left most side of the required fret. hmmm. im a beginner and this game is hard. but hard in a fun way.

DrBo42

The dynamic difficulty is pretty awesome. Was doing terrible on Go With the Flow and slowly I became more competent. Now I'm actually strumming full speed with the song, it's an amazing feeling to "get it."

lordy88

I'm actually pretty curious about this. It looks like it would be a lot of fun to jam along with.

I wish I had a picture of my axe, but alas I don't have the proper means to get it on a computer. I'll have to settle with this:

2010 PRS Custom 24 McCarty Tobacco Sunburst

276899.jpg

Only two differences are that mine has a 3 way toggle switch instead of the 5-way rotary and I have shadow bird inlays instead of the full mother-of-pearl birds. She's my baby (Her name is Amber).

JaggedSac

DoubleTap said:
dont know if its the game or my cheap silvertone guitar but it's very picky when it comes to frets. especially on the 5th. you hold it in the middle and the game tells you its towards the left. meaning you hold it towards the left most side of the required fret. hmmm. im a beginner and this game is hard. but hard in a fun way.

That isn't telling you where to hold it in terms of the same fret, it means the fret you are on is the wrong one. Try to fret as close as you can to the fret dividers as you can. Makes it easier to hold down.

My freaking PS3 YLOD with my game stuck in the console. It was only on for 10 freaking minutes. I must admit I was playing the hell out of this game.

I have a OG 60gb, can I get my disc out? before I send it in for repair? I may just buy a new PS3 for back up as well.

Touch

I had no idea you could actually use your guitar with this game. That's is by far the most awesome thing any game in the music genre could do. The PC version might have to get purchased though.

Fusebox

Banned
Damn, Amazon had stock yesterday but are sold out now. Just ordered it for PS3:

Delivery estimate: Nov. 7, 2011 - Nov. 18, 2011

As for which guitar I'm gonna use...

"I liked what you said. I'll take one of each of yours."

6262456771_9e6547d54e.jpg

Got the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar. I know the thing is low-end, but (as a rank beginner) I *love* the look and feel of it. To the untrained eye it doesn't look like a cheapo anything.

With Rocksmith I started to learn to play it, and even learned something extra: how to re-string it! A word of advice: when tuning the guitar, at one point Rocksmith (confusingly) flips its display of the headstock - pay attention to that, so you don't tighten the wrong string until it snaps :)

DrBo42

krypt0nian said:
Damn, that's gorgeous.
Thank you. Only had her for about 2 weeks, but I definitely love it.

Dreamwriter said:
Got the bundle with the Epiphone Les Paul Junior guitar. I know the thing is low-end, but (as a rank beginner) I *love* the look and feel of it. To the untrained eye it doesn't look like a cheapo anything.

With Rocksmith I started to learn to play it, and even learned something extra: how to re-string it! A word of advice: when tuning the guitar, at one point Rocksmith (confusingly) flips its display of the headstock - pay attention to that, so you don't tighten the wrong string until it snaps :)

Congrats on your first snapped string!

Sobriquet

I'm really interested in this game, but the HDMI audio is a bit of a bummer.

Dreamwriter said:

Les Paul Juniors are classic. Plenty of rock legends have used them.

DrBo42 said:
I've been playing this game for 7 hours now. Holy shit.
Welcome to the jungle!

God, I am doing my best to complete my assignment so I can play this! :mad:

Original thread title idea was either "Welcome to the Jungle" or "While my Plastic Guitar Gently Weeps". I didn't want to confuse people that this uses plastic guitar as well so I had to remove it. lol.

My only issue with the game is and was only ever going to be the interface, it's a pain to follow when the notes started hitting thick and fast. It also loves to throw in note icons you have never seen before and it expects you to know what the hell to do with them... thats fun :p. Will have rockhard finger tips in a week or two just like the good old days when i first started learning.

JaggedSac

Scousefury said:
My only issue with the game is and was only ever going to be the interface, it's a pain to follow when the notes started hitting thick and fast. It also loves to throw in note icons you have never seen before and it expects you to know what the hell to do with them... thats fun :p. Will have rockhard finger tips in a week or two just like the good old days when i first started learning.

Yeah, I agree. I think it the note chart will mostly be useful during slow motion learning of the riffs until you get the hang of the riff and the note chart is there just for a memory reminder of what is coming next. There is no way my brain can handle playing these things without any sort of memorization involved. Which was something I could do with Rockband and GuitarHero.

On another note, when playing Sweet Home Alabama, I have always held the chord structure that the main riff is comprised of, but the game is making me think(at least at the 60% mastery level) that I need to be moving my index finger to play both the "A" and "B" string notes. It would be helpful during the learning tools for them to tell you which fingers should be used to fret the notes. I know they have the little 4 finger indicator, but I think in some cases that will not be correct. Perhaps someone with more experience can shine some light on this.

DoubleTap

JaggedSac said:
That isn't telling you where to hold it in terms of the same fret, it means the fret you are on is the wrong one. Try to fret as close as you can to the fret dividers as you can. Makes it easier to hold down.

I'm pretty sure I'm holding the required fret. Even put the stickers on. It's like you said though, I have to hold it close to the fret dividers and it registers. When I hold it right smack in between the fret dividers it tells me to move left. This happens only on the low E string as well (RED).

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
I'm not sure if I'll wait for the PC version. I probably will, just because I think my setup for my PC is way less prone to lag than my PS3 (analogue for everything and I have an expensive sound card).

I'll be using my mexican HSS strat.

Takuan

Sobriquet said:
Les Paul Juniors are classic. Plenty of rock legends have used them.
Yup. Although, one should also add that the actual Rocksmith throw-in guitar is a cheap reproduction of a classic guitar that won't have the same electronics and materials. Also, it the Jr model only has one pickup, whereas most guitars have two or three - you can switch between pickups for different tones on those.

It should also be noted that a beginner won't sound any better on a $5000 guitar than he/she would on a $50 guitar. I'm supportive of buying used, getting a professional setup, and learning on that. Then you'll really be able to appreciate the difference.

DrBo42

So yeah, tried the optical cable last night. If it's your only option (other than HDMI) it's good enough, although it will bug you a little. Ideal setup is definitely the analog, makes a huge difference. Can't wait to go home and play more. I'm watching some user youtube videos now, kinda hilarious to watch people butcher songs but I'm in the same club. Pretty amazing that thousands of people are learning simultaneously.

JaggedSac said:
On another note, when playing Sweet Home Alabama, I have always held the chord structure that the main riff is comprised of, but the game is making me think(at least at the 60% mastery level) that I need to be moving my index finger to play both the "A" and "B" string notes. It would be helpful during the learning tools for them to tell you which fingers should be used to fret the notes. I know they have the little 4 finger indicator, but I think in some cases that will not be correct. Perhaps someone with more experience can shine some light on this.

Hard to understand what you exactly mean, as I'm in Europe and have to wait for the game a bit longer, but the main riff is something like:

| D | C | G | G | with a little riff over the last G. I would play that riff with my index finger (while my ring finger stays on the 3rd fret B string - which it does for all of the chords on the intro riff)

Fixed1979

Enjoyed the hour or so I played it last night, would have played awhile longer but my pinky was cramping up on me. I found it a little hard to put the colours and strings together outside of the 5th and 6th string, I'm sure that will come in time but I do wish they had a training exercise in order to help get quickly familiar with the colours.

I haven't played any of the songs on here and it's really cool to hear it start to come together as you progress. It was only one play session but I'm excited to get back to it and to watch my progression.

Animator

Fixed1979 said:
Enjoyed the hour or so I played it last night, would have played awhile longer but my pinky was cramping up on me. I found it a little hard to put the colours and strings together outside of the 5th and 6th string, I'm sure that will come in time but I do wish they had a training exercise in order to help get quickly familiar with the colours.

I haven't played any of the songs on here and it's really cool to hear it start to come together as you progress. It was only one play session but I'm excited to get back to it and to watch my progression.

There are minigames at the guitarcade that help you with that. Those games are VITAL for learning guitar. They make the most boring things about guitar practice fun.

JaggedSac

BengaBenga said:
Hard to understand what you exactly mean, as I'm in Europe and have to wait for the game a bit longer, but the main riff is something like:

| D | C | G | G | with a little riff over the last G. I would play that riff with my index finger (while my ring finger stays on the 3rd fret B string - which it does for all of the chords on the intro riff)

Yeah, I was having a hard time trying to explain what I meant, and that was the best I came up with lol. But yeah. Let me put up the start of the riff tab:

|-------------------------------|-------------------------------|
|--------3---------------3------|-------------------------------|
|----------2---------------0----|--------0--0----------------2/0|
|--0--0------0---------------0--|-------------------0-2/0-------|
|--------------3(0)3------------|--------------0/2--------2-----|
|-------------------------------|-3(0)3-------------------------|

So here you see that you would fret this with your ring finger on the 3rd fret of B string, and your middle finger on the 3rd fret of the A String. But the game really doesn't tell you which finger to use. All it has is that 4 fret indicator saying where your base fingers should be, starting at fret 2. So several notes come down the note chart at the 3rd fret on different strings. You should really be playing those frets with different fingers by having your hands in the D chord position, but the game doesn't tell you that. It just seems like it wants you to play both of those notes with your middle finger based on the instructions it gave for single note play. It should highlight the section of notes and say hold a certain chord structure while picking the notes. Otherwise you will get people playing this riff in a way much harder than should be done. The only reason I knew that was because I had played that riff before. I am concerned that other riffs in other songs have similar easier fingerings to use, but I am completely unaware of it. Did I explain it better that time?

Fixed1979

Animator said:
There are minigames at the guitarcade that help you with that. Those games are VITAL for learning guitar. They make the most boring things about guitar practice fun.

Excellent, I've only unlocked Ducks so far hopefully I can open the game up a bit more tonight.

JaggedSac said:
...I am concerned that other riffs in other songs have similar easier fingerings to use, but I am completely unaware of it. Did I explain it better that time?

The only solution I can see is if they included a number over each note indicating (or change the notes from bars to circles with a number in it) the proper finger, which isn't a bad idea at all.

An issue is that there will always be certain tricks that would be really hard to convey properly in a game.

Top Bottom