• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

JaggedSac said:
Yeah, I was having a hard time trying to explain what I meant, and that was the best I came up with lol. But yeah. Let me put up the start of the riff tab:

So here you see that you would fret this with your ring finger on the 3rd fret of B string, and your middle finger on the 3rd fret of the A String. But the game really doesn't tell you which finger to use. All it has is that 4 fret indicator saying where your base fingers should be, starting at fret 2. So several notes come down the note chart at the 3rd fret on different strings. You should really be playing those frets with different fingers by having your hands in the D chord position, but the game doesn't tell you that. It just seems like it wants you to play both of those notes with your middle finger based on the instructions it gave for single note play. It should highlight the section of notes and say hold a certain chord structure while picking the notes. Otherwise you will get people playing this riff in a way much harder than should be done. The only reason I knew that was because I had played that riff before. I am concerned that other riffs in other songs have similar easier fingerings to use, but I am completely unaware of it. Did I explain it better that time?

Yeah, that was very clear :)
No way around that I guess, but that's not different from learning to play by ear or tab. With practice also comes a better skill with positioning. But you're right that it could make it much harder.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
really weird there are no mainstream gaming site reviews..were no review copies sent out early?

Oh and Current Axe
15p31uv.jpg

If Car repairs aren't to much my Christmas gift to me Axe(Ultra III..not sure which color to get)
epiphone_ultra3_group.jpg

Syriel

bloodydrake said:
really weird there are no mainstream gaming site reviews..were no review copies sent out early?

I got my retail review copy a week before retail release. That's actually good when it comes to retail discs. Some publishers don't send retail discs until a day or two before release.

I'm really digging this game so far - I'm a rank beginner, and the game is definitely making me more comfortable with the guitar, trust it more without having to be looking at it all the time.

A question - anyone know how to use the pedals and stuff you earn throughout the game? I've earned a couple things, but in the Amp screen it shows all the slots as locked. The instructions say something about loading an item, but there's no load option I can see.

shagg_187 said:
You assign pedals using face buttons on controller.
But how do I choose what pedal is on what face button? They start out with nothing attached, and all the slots at the bottom say they are locked though I did earn a couple things.

Shadybiz

From reading what's posted, it sounds like if your PS3 is connected via HDMI to a receiver for sound, and THEN routed to the TV, the lag is basically eliminated?

If not, I'll just buy it for 360, which uses optical to a receiver, and I could also switch easily to my Turtle Beach headphones with analog.

Really excited about this, though; will pick it up tomorrow after work!

Sophuis

Neo Member
Definitely interested in this; had no idea it was coming to PC. Was looking for an elegant solution to having a honking big amp that I can't plug in anywhere I can comfortably play around here. Picking between a POD and a game that could get my ass in gear and actually teach me to play a song from start to finish? Easy choice.

I'll wait and see how the PC version turns out and when it'll come to the EU.

Also, weapon of choice:
SGSCWCCH.JPG

Shadybiz said:
From reading what's posted, it sounds like if your PS3 is connected via HDMI to a receiver for sound, and THEN routed to the TV, the lag is basically eliminated?

If not, I'll just buy it for 360, which uses optical to a receiver, and I could also switch easily to my Turtle Beach headphones with analog.

Interestingly enough, the foldout poster that comes with the game says best results are HDMI hooked up directly to the TV, and the stereo audio cables from the Composite set going to a stereo. But I have HDMI going to a stereo, which then routes HDMI video to the TV, and I have no perceivable lag.

Ricker

Shadybiz said:

I wanted the 360 version but the place I pre-ordered from got the PS3 version and couldn`t get a 360 bundle so I took it anyway...and yeah that`s my hook up and there is no lag that I can notice,I left the setting at 50,which is default and it works great.

Is it normal that my first string feels a little off,like there`s a vibration,buzz to it that doesn`t sound right to me at times...also there is a piece of transparent plastic tape on the pick up underneath the strings,should I leave that there or peel it off...sorry for the lame question,this is my first electric guitar and i`m french so i`m sure on all the terms.

I`m going to love learning to play with this,I had fun just tuning the damn thing hehe...

Shadybiz

Dreamwriter said:
But I have HDMI going to a stereo, which then routes HDMI video to the TV, and I have no perceivable lag.

Awesome, thanks for the response!

Ricker said:
..and yeah that`s my hook up and there is no lag that I can notice,I left the setting at 50,which is default and it works great.

This too!

And as for your buzzing and tape questions: I am a total noob myself, so take what I say with a grain of salt, but if I were a betting man, I would say that the tape over the pickup is what's causing the buzzing. I guess wait for a more informed response before experimenting, though.

I took the clear plastic off the pickup under the strrings, just like I took it off the other parts of the guitar, makes no difference I can tell.

Fusebox

Banned
Dreamwriter said:
I took the clear plastic off the pickup under the strrings, just like I took it off the other parts of the guitar, makes no difference I can tell.

It might be the action is too low or the neck doesn't have enough relief.

Does it buzz on one or more strings?
Does it only buzz when the string is played open or when the string is fretted as well?

taylor910

Picked this up today, played for a couple hours.

Tried different configurations, all with virtually unplayable input lag, but finally found one that works.

Ripped off the plastic cover to a regular 360 input cord so I can use that for analog audio (red/white plugs) and still be able to fit the hdmi in for video.

Optical audio, for whatever reason, has bad lag.

Game is really fun so far, and I've been a guitar player for about 15 years.

Ricker

Fusebox said:
It might be the action is too low or the neck doesn't have enough relief.

Does it buzz on one or more strings?
Does it only buzz when the string is played open or when the string is fretted as well?

Only when I frett it,and only on the first bigger string(red).

I picked this up for PS3 this evening.. as my roommate ran off with my guitar, I picked up the version with the les paul junior.. the guitar looks great.. and feels good.. but I'm having a hell of a time getting it tuned..

The needle jumps all over the place and not in any consistent way.. I know I'm only using the pick on the top string and I don't have any of the other strings fretted, but I just can't seem to dial it in.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it.. getting very frustrated right now.

The game plays that video showing the knob being turned in a certain direction and I try to mimic it, but then it says turn the other way.. and make sure I'm not hitting the other strings (which i'm not).. but it never seems to get any closer to being in-tune.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Robobandit said:
I picked this up for PS3 this evening.. as my roommate ran off with my guitar, I picked up the version with the les paul junior.. the guitar looks great.. and feels good.. but I'm having a hell of a time getting it tuned..

The needle jumps all over the place and not in any consistent way.. I know I'm only using the pick on the top string and I don't have any of the other strings fretted, but I just can't seem to dial it in.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd certainly appreciate it.. getting very frustrated right now.

The game plays that video showing the knob being turned in a certain direction and I try to mimic it, but then it says turn the other way.. and make sure I'm not hitting the other strings (which i'm not).. but it never seems to get any closer to being in-tune.
sounds like typical string binding in the nut...is it making a "TINK" noise when you turn the machine head and then jumps to far in opposite direction on the tuning app..ie going from -1 to +5 with hardly any movement?
If thats the case buy some bigbends nut sauce will help..or get guitar Lutheran to file your nut abit

bloodydrake said:
sounds like typical string binding in the nut...is it making a "TINK" noise when you turn the machine head and then jumps to far in opposite direction on the tuning app..ie going from -1 to +5 with hardly any movement?
If thats the case buy some bigbends nut sauce will help..or get guitar Lutheran to file your nut abit

It's jumping between +50 and -50 in in a single pluck of the string, at times.. am I supposed to be strumming right over the magnets or slightly forward of them?

I don't hear any noise from the mechanism when I turn the knob... I can hear the pitch change in the note coming from the string, but I don't hear anything from the mechanism itself..

edit -

I'm really new to this.. so apparently the reason it was jumping from those extremes is because the strings were really loose.. I had to turn them over a full turn to tighten them up enough.

In this case, the game is confusing when it tells you to turn the other direction when what you really need to be doing is turning in the same direction you're already turning in.

Finally got my guitar tuned.. and played a bit of the first song.. I think I'll be spending a lot of time in the Ducks game until I get used to fret position..

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Robobandit said:
It's jumping between +50 and -50 in in a single pluck of the string, at times.. am I supposed to be strumming right over the magnets or slightly forward of them?

I don't hear any noise from the mechanism when I turn the knob... I can hear the pitch change in the note coming from the string, but I don't hear anything from the mechanism itself..

shouldn't matter where you strum it honestly..you see guys strum generally between the pickups but lots will move up and down to try and get a different tone.

hmm you might need to stretch your strings as well
watch this and try it and see if it helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_7DxlcE2A2M
just dont put to much tension on the thinnest (High E) string or you can bust it

Fusebox

Banned
Ricker said:
Only when I frett it,and only on the first bigger string(red).

Do me a favour, put one finger at the 12th fret of your bass E string (or whatever fret is closest to where the neck joins the body) and then see how much clearance is at the 5th fret. There should be a millimetre or two between the string and the 5th fret. Any less tells me the bass E string is too low of your neck is bowed out with not enough relief.

Like this, see he's fretting the bass E where the neck meets the body, and he's using a measuring instrument to check the string height around the 5th fret:

NECKMEAS.JPG

Dreamwriter said:
But how do I choose what pedal is on what face button? They start out with nothing attached, and all the slots at the bottom say they are locked though I did earn a couple things.
You can either customize effects or use predetermined ones. Predetermined ones are unlocked by getting 70,000 or more in a song. I think that's what you accidentally looke at. You can create your own effect by mixing different pedals.

That said, I can't find my optical cable so I can't test that out but I found a better solution. Connect the amp!

My amp has an inline input for composite cables so I used it. Audio is crystal clear with no lag at all. So good!

Either that or get an RCA to 1/4 converter for pure raw lagless power!

Had a 6 hour session. My shoulder is killing me lol.

onken

This looks fuck-awesome, really wanted to get RB3 at the time but having to get another guitar was a real turn-off. Of course now I don't have a guitar this comes out but thems the breaks. Definitely buying it though.

Dynedom

shagg_187 said:
After playing guitar for over 4 years... The lazy man in me accomplished something no other software could make me accomplish...

Today, I learned 5 chords. Chord tutorial is so good!

God dammit I need this now. Even though I've owned a guitar for close to 8 years, I've only got about 2 years real learning experience. I'm horrible for what I am. I've been talking to my uncle about giving me lessons but this game would be a nice way to fill the void.

My economy and alternate picking skills are so god awful. =( I hope this game has good tutorials for that.

shagg_187 said:
After playing guitar for over 4 years... The lazy man in me accomplished something no other software could make me accomplish...

Today, I learned 5 chords. Chord tutorial is so good!

Are there more complicated chords in it? Like, different inversions and jazzy things with extensions? I need to work more on those. Been getting into a rut playing the same chord shapes all the time.

What I really liked about this game when I played in the demo at PAX was that I could play anything during the pauses in a song and not get penalized for it. I love improvising and it was always something that was sorely missing from the plastic music games.

Animator

PigSpeakers said:
Are there more complicated chords in it? Like, different inversions and jazzy things with extensions? I need to work more on those. Been getting into a rut playing the same chord shapes all the time.

What I really liked about this game when I played in the demo at PAX was that I could play anything during the pauses in a song and not get penalized for it. I love improvising and it was always something that was sorely missing from the plastic music games.

There are like 1000 chords in it.

DrBo42

Been doing pretty well progression-wise until I hit "Where is my mind?". I don't know how or why this song is kicking my ass.

Ricker

Fusebox said:
Do me a favour, put one finger at the 12th fret of your bass E string (or whatever fret is closest to where the neck joins the body) and then see how much clearance is at the 5th fret. There should be a millimetre or two between the string and the 5th fret. Any less tells me the bass E string is too low of your neck is bowed out with not enough relief.

Like this, see he's fretting the bass E where the neck meets the body, and he's using a measuring instrument to check the string height around the 5th fret:

NECKMEAS.JPG

Ok I did that and it`s not touching the fret,it`s pretty damn close but there is at least 1 millimetre...seem to not always do it though so maybe it`s just my picking hehe...saw that they talk about that in the Epiphone manual so i`ll read about that as well,thanks for the tips.

DrBo42 said:
Been doing pretty well progression-wise until I hit "Where is my mind?". I don't know how or why this song is kicking my ass.
The Rolling Stone's "Play with fire" is kicking my ass. It's such an easy song but the open note to 3rd fret transition is making me so confused lol.

That said, if I had to be picky about the game, it's the fact that in audio settings you can only reduce volume of gameplay section and not menu music or VoiceOver guy's volume. That shit is loud in my amp and it's aux port has no dedicated volume control.

luffeN

My weapon of choice. Was assembled in South Africa. My aunt brought it as a present for my brother. Now it's my weapon for the time being xD

Edit: One strange thing. When I play other games, I set my receiver to 40. For this game I need to put it to 25 to hear the announcer. If I were to play let's say Dark Souls on 25 my ears would bleed xD

Anybody playing this with an acoustic guitar? Just wondering do you need to pump up the volume pretty loud to hear over your guitar?

I have a Martin DCXE1
DCX1RE.jpg

And I'm not sure how it would work with it? My roommate has a Gibson Les Paul downstairs but it's our studio electric and so I don't want to thrash around on it in this game. What do you think for an acoustic guitar?

Otherwise, I may just pick up an Epiphone Les Paul

DrBo42 said:

That's song is pretty hard to play in general. My shit band used to play it, but for that song we had 3 guitarists (normally 2 and I'd play piano, but on that I'd play rhythm and sing that super high OOOOOoooooh thing which may actually be a synth in the real song)

DeviantDragon

Neo Member
So, is it simple to use some Turtle Beach X12 headphones to avoid the lag issue? I know they are powered using the usb connection on the 360 but where would the red/white component audio cables go? Do they come with the headphones?

ExMachina

Unconfirmed Member
Here's what I'm using to play the game:

U9nQ9.jpg

Squier Affinity Telecaster

Plus analog audio through an Astro Mixamp + ATH-AD700s and I'm good to go. :D

Tonner Cyn said:
So, is it simple to use some Turtle Beach X12 headphones to avoid the lag issue? I know they are powered using the usb connection on the 360 but where would the red/white component audio cables go? Do they come with the headphones?
Pretty sure Turtle Beach headsets use RCA piggyback cables, so you should be fine. The USB is only for voicechat, you still get game audio through the cables connected to the back of the 360.

Syn23

shagg_187 said:
No it's not. Will update as more people reveal what the unlockable tracks are! :)
Thanks and as I've not said it yet: Nice work with the OP! (especially the simpsontallica pic)

Unicorn

I took one guitar class in high school, probably 5 years ago now. This is looking really interesting, and the fact that it can teach me chords is a plus. I guess I'm wondering if I wanted to really get back into playing guitar, and eventually get better, will this help me do that? I'd also like to relearn to read sheet music, but this game looks like it's built around a tab structure.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
luffeN said:
My weapon of choice. Was assembled in South Africa. My aunt brought it as a present for my brother. Now it's my weapon for the time being xD

Edit: One strange thing. When I play other games, I set my receiver to 40. For this game I need to put it to 25 to hear the announcer. If I were to play let's say Dark Souls on 25 my ears would bleed xD

Jack White would be proud! musics in the soul not the instrument
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFXeChXfcI

Any word on significant differences between PS3/360? I'm a bit worried about possible lag since I have my PS3 hooked directly to TV via HDMI, and wanted to pick that version because my PS3 has more available HDD space for DLC songs.

Fixed1979

The Albatross said:
Anybody playing this with an acoustic guitar? Just wondering do you need to pump up the volume pretty loud to hear over your guitar?

I have a Martin DCXE1
DCX1RE.jpg

And I'm not sure how it would work with it? My roommate has a Gibson Les Paul downstairs but it's our studio electric and so I don't want to thrash around on it in this game. What do you think for an acoustic guitar?

Otherwise, I may just pick up an Epiphone Les Paul

Sooo much jealousy...I'll try an acoustic tonight and let you know.

Played another hour or so last night. Got a little frustrated (at my lack of skill) but definitely still enjoying it and looking forward to being able to move up and down the strings a bit better. I can notice some very slight improvement already. I was mostly a chord guy so all this picking is a bit challenging to say the least. I'm also having a lot of trouble with any real quick notes repeating more than 3 or 4 times. I try to keep the up down going but I just don't have the dexterity built up for it yet.

Top Bottom