• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocksmith |OT| While My Guitar Gently Weeps

jkoch

LarryButz said:
Wonder if there are any extras for a 7 string but i doubt it

Right now, it says only E standard and drop D are supported, so probably not.

What do you play? I have an Agile Septor Elite 7, along with a bunch of sixes. I'm planning on getting an eight string one of these days too.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
zychi said:
I have an old "beginner's" acoustic guitar. would i be able to use it with this game?

this is the guitar
it needs an electric pickup,is it a nylon? I'd think it would need to be steel string.

I'll try my taylor this weekend and see how it works out.its an acoustic/electric model

Wow! This sounds excellent! Reminds me of the Line 6 Pod GX USB interface I have for my PC but getting the audio to work properly on that was a bitch!
I just plug into my PS3? Great stuff. Shame I have to wait until 2012 to get it here in the UK. I could import but I'll probably want the DLC songs.

And why no Gary Moore, Hendrix, SRV, Jeff Healey etc? Hope to see some more genuine guitar gods in coming DLC.

I'll be using my Ibanez S570B. Not great but good enough!

luffeN

Thanks guys xD

So far the game is great. Almost couldn't stop playing but it's late now so I don't want to disturb any neighbours.

After performing the first two songs I was surprised by the encore and it got really "complicated" with suddenly having to use strings 4, 5 and 6. Still need to figure out some technicalities and buy a pick.

Pavaloo

So I was able to call gamestop and they gave me my pre-order code over the phone : D (fuck yeah, Bodysnatchers).

The more I play the game the more I love it. I just wish there wasn't so much loading between everything (especially constantly saving between menus), but hey, what're you gonna' do?

One thing I really think this game would benefit from: Kinect support. Seriously. I wish I could just say things instead of having to fumble between my guitar and controller.

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Pavaloo said:
I just wish there wasn't so much loading between everything (especially constantly saving between menus), but hey, what're you gonna' do?

I'm really hoping if this ever comes to Steam without to much bullshit DRM on fast system and good SSD raid system the load time will go away

Pavaloo

bloodydrake said:
I'm really hoping if this ever comes to Steam without to much bullshit DRM on fast system and good SSD raid system the load time will go away

Hmm, that would be great. Xbox cable should work on all platforms right?

toxicgonzo

Taxes?! Isn't this the line for Metallica?
Kitara-Guitar.jpg

My instrument of choice: Kitara.
I wish

I'm not sure it would even work...

One thing I wish, that there was an easy way to select a previous event set to play - you play a show once, and immediately move onto the next, and if you ever want to play those old songs again you have to manually select them, and it's even more work if you want to re-setup the old set.

Thank you, shagg, I hadn't heard of this game. I ordered from overstock.com, which was $75 shipped. I think I'll use the Fender Squier '51 for this; it doesn't get nearly enough love.

x18P8.jpg

This is the guitar game I've been waiting for! I'm a fairly crappy guitar player, though that's mostly because I'm self-taught, which means I might be good at some things (fingering) but I'm bad at others (rhythm). I've been considering paying for lessons, but they're expensive and I never know if I'll get a good teacher or even if I can make the time. For the cost of about 3 lessons, this game seems like it can both teach and be easy to schedule.

Is that set list in the OP complete, including unlockables?

Very intersted in this. Need to learn guitar to incorporate into my music down the road.

For now, I'm struggling between this and Batman. Fun and adventure or fun and education.

DJ_Tet

Banned
bloodydrake said:
as a floyd head i've always loved Great Gig in the sky the worldless vocals are amazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iM1Tp8ZtGXU&feature=share

I came across this guitar lead version of the vocals for Great Gig..mind blown! so awesome.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=jCwVGHSqQ7A

Seeing that ...This is why we need a PC mod community for this game so someone can Tab this out so I can learn that.. so epic.

Now you're talking. They are dead set against Rock Band type games so the PC modding community might be my only chance to play Pink Floyd in a videogame before they all die :(

ReaperXL7

Wow, kind of surprised that it seems like this thing actually works for people. Was considering picking this up awhile back, but I figured it would be a neat concept soured by poor execution. I used to play alittle when I was a kid, my dad got me a little acoustic and I enjoyed it but never stuck with it mainly because I was trying to teach myself and was not getting very far.

I'd like to give this a shot, but that tag is pretty rich for something that I don't know would work for me. I don't have a guitar currently so I would have to pick up the bundle to get the most out of it. For anyone currently playing it that has little, or no experience, did you pick up the bundle? If so how does the included guitar feel? Would it be better for me to just buy a guitar at pawn shop and get the game separately?

Picked it up today and I'm using a Gibson Les Paul studio.

wine-red-gibson-les-paul--large-msg-115847811564.jpg

Game is good, I have some delay with my HDMI from the guitar to the audio... like a perceptible low millisecond delay, enough where I can tell it's there. I am going to pick up the 360 Audio pack tomorrow.

My setup is:

360 [HDMI >] Onkyo 2 Speaker Receiver [HDMI >] LCD Television.

I have my audio through the receiver, and while there may not be much of a delay between the game sound and the display on my TV, at least maybe not percieved... I can definitely tell the delay between my guitar and the sound coming from my Onkyo speakers, so I gotta get to the bottom of that.

Thoughts on the game:

So I've been screwing around with guitar for, I dunno, 8 years or so, but I didn't really start playing guitar until four or so years ago. I am a chord player almost strictly, I always play rhythm, and if there is any picking, it is with picking chords with minor variations. I got the game because my weakness is playing individual notes... I never play with tab or anything like that, I only play with chords pretty much excusively, so this is pretty much why I got the game as a good trainer for playing individual notes and playing the melody in songs.

The game starts out stressing playing the melody of songs... playing out specific notes, and right out, I found it fairly difficult, I mean, I've whipped through every song but I'm not acing them in any way... I'm struggling with the individual notes on a lot of songs and just not playing them well.

I was a little frustrated at the emphasis on string colors instead of note names. I wish that you could either toggle that. I know that for a beginner referring to the "G" string will be useless, but for me, having the game tell me to play the "Blue" string is pretty much ... completely foreign. I'll get used to it, but I wish that they showed both, or alternatively, showed the note that you're playing in the little box.

WHile I struggled on individual notes, I picked right up on songs with chords which is something introduced much later in the campaign mode, but you can go choose individual songs and play them how you like... So while I'm struggling with the individual notes for some easy intro song, I went and almost got a perfect score on the Pixies WHere Is My Mind with chords. And then ranked #21 in the chord zombie mini game... and I attribute just being #21 to the game not registering certain chords, when I was like "THIS IS A BARRED D7 I AM PLAYING IT RIGHT NOW" and it's telling me I wasn't... but w/e.

I have one major complaint too... The LCD Latency setting for your TV... For whatever reason, they thought to completely remove it from the UI, so you can't perfect it. You have to make a setting and then go into a song to test it, and then quit the song and tweak the settings, then do it again, etc. It's frustrating. They should a display running on this menu to help perfect it instead of needing to do a time consuming trial and error.

So far, I like it. SOme things could be better, but I'm really planning to use the game to help round out my guitar play. Oh, and for the record, acoustic guitars really don't work well, even those with a pickup. I am going to try again tomorrow when I Can really let it all ring out.

LarryButz

jkoch said:
Right now, it says only E standard and drop D are supported, so probably not.

What do you play? I have an Agile Septor Elite 7, along with a bunch of sixes. I'm planning on getting an eight string one of these days too.

Music Man Petrucci 7 string with whammy bar and piezo and other than that, Gibson SG Voodoo.

DSC00771-1.jpg

Also, I'll add, if it weren't for the loading, this would be a great tuner for beginners. The tuning component is just great. I remember when I first started playing, tuning was just an annoying bitch and a lot of times I wouldn't pick up the guitar knowing I'd have to suffer through struggling to tune... So, if you're a beginner and this is one of your frustrations, be rest assured that Rocksmith has a great tuner, although sometimes it's a bit overkill (it checks if your guitar is in tune before EVERYTHING and I just want to be like "it's in fucking tune just let me play!)

Shadybiz

Okay, the game is definitely cool. I am very much not a plucker, and I can already see that this will definitely help with that. I played 2 games of Ducks, and with just that, I felt able to find the frets without looking at it a greater amount of times than I normally do. I guess you get into a rhythm of sorts.

I am using an optical cable, and the delay is pretty minimal. Within acceptable limits at my level (noob).

The tuning mechanism frustrated me at first, but I learned how the game "wants" you to pluck the strings. I tend to pluck by putting the pick under the string, and then doing kind of an outward motion. The game doesn't like that. it just wants you to put the pick on top of the string, and pluck straight downwards. I guess that's the correct way of doing it; I just wasn't used to it. Damn near broke my low E string figuring that one out.

After reading some reviews and reading comments heee, I've decided that I'm getting this today. All I'm running is HDMI from my 360 to my TV speakers. I do have the option for optical through surround sound but one of my rears is down so I just use my TV speakers. Which one is recomended for Rocksmith, optical or HDMI or does ot even matter at all?

qwerty2k

Ive taken the plunge and imported from vg+, just got to wait for it to get here (ps3). Bit worried that atm all I've got his my audio done through HDMI from my PS3 that the lag will be bad. Whats the cheapest way to negate this? (headphones?)

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
Dark Octave said:
After reading some reviews and reading comments heee, I've decided that I'm getting this today. All I'm running is HDMI from my 360 to my TV speakers. I do have the option for optical through surround sound but one of my rears is down so I just use my TV speakers. Which one is recomended for Rocksmith, optical or HDMI or does ot even matter at all?
I have hdmi going to tv for video and rca (red and white) going to amp which works flawless. my understanding is optical is better to amp then hdmi to tv..so even with rears down youd be better off using optical.

adamsappel said:
Thank you, shagg, I hadn't heard of this game. I ordered from overstock.com, which was $75 shipped. I think I'll use the Fender Squier '51 for this; it doesn't get nearly enough love.

http://i.imgur.com/x18P8.jpg[IMG]

This is the guitar game I've been waiting for! I'm a fairly crappy guitar player, though that's mostly because I'm self-taught, which means I might be good at some things (fingering) but I'm bad at others (rhythm). I've been considering paying for lessons, but they're expensive and I never know if I'll get a good teacher or even if I can make the time. For the cost of about 3 lessons, this game seems like it can both teach and be easy to schedule.

Is that set list in the OP complete, including unlockables?[/QUOTE]

You're welcome! :D

Setlist is not complete. As of now, I don't think everyone has unlocked all tracks. Will update it as people reveal what's missing from it.

By the way, here's my new/final setup.

[img]http://i.imgur.com/puX63.jpg

It's a bass amp. It's massive, and it's LOUD! So good!! <3

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Fuck man I wish this came out a few months ago when I had more money to blow on shit that doesn't matter :( I guess I'll wait for a price drop.

Fixed1979

The Albatross said:
Also, I'll add, if it weren't for the loading, this would be a great tuner for beginners. The tuning component is just great. I remember when I first started playing, tuning was just an annoying bitch and a lot of times I wouldn't pick up the guitar knowing I'd have to suffer through struggling to tune... So, if you're a beginner and this is one of your frustrations, be rest assured that Rocksmith has a great tuner, although sometimes it's a bit overkill (it checks if your guitar is in tune before EVERYTHING and I just want to be like "it's in fucking tune just let me play!)

I'm finding the tuner to be complete garbage, I actually just came in here specifically to bitch about it...Several times while I'm playing I unplug just to plug into my actual tuner. I really think I need to bring my guitar in to get it setup properly as I don't think it was ever done...

bloodydrake

Cool Smoke Luke
picked up a elbow adapter for 5bucks and a 10foot usb extension cable and seems to work fine I dont notice any extra latency or change in tone.
499175.jpg

definitely much better for playing sitting on couch which was farther the default cable length and having the elbow adapter takes the pressure off the cable and connector on bottom of Les Paul

Fusebox

Banned
Lots of people here mentioning they're beginner guitarists, any proper shredders in the house with this game yet? Are you ripping it up consistently? Is it too easy? Do the note charts seem accurate and stuff?

Finally picked it up today. PS3 version, hooked to LCD via HDMI, but thinking of plugging RCA cables from TV to home theater to improve latency.

Beginner guitarist, never formally trained, most stuff learned from friends or self taught. Can read tab but not musical notation, know my way around with barre chords, power chords and a couple basic techniques.

First impression is good. Game pays attention to detail from the get go, and has, from what I can tell, a vast and comprehensive library of techniques, videos and exercises. Built-in tuner works great. Color coding is definitely confusing when you already know the names of strings and can work your way around, but I hope to adjust with a few hours under my belt.

Loading times are a bit annoying, but other than that it has made a hell of a first impression.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Really encouraging impressions guys! I'm definitely going to pick this up.

I fall into the self-taught can play a few songs, know a few chords but that's about it category and I've been hoping for some good software to come along like this to help fill in the gaps and make practice fun again.

Really cool that the cable works for all versions of the game too. Is it easier to get the analog audio out of the 360 or PS3? I'll pick it up for one of those systems and then likely get the PC version down the road for mods.

edit: Damn, the OP is loaded. Great flowcharts Shagg!!

Tijnisch

Neo Member
Just saw this topic and game for the first time, looking goooood.
Is there any reason for me to wait for the European version?

Fusebox said:
Lots of people here mentioning they're beginner guitarists, any proper shredders in the house with this game yet? Are you ripping it up consistently? Is it too easy? Do the note charts seem accurate and stuff?

Not to blow my own horn, but I'm decent. I've got maybe 5 events left I think, although the last few have been recycling songs. It's really easy to start obviously, my issue is that it takes too long to get sections maxed out in difficulty. The events I'm at now you need to hit between 90-95 percent to progress, I got 95 percent on Rebel Rebel and ended up 300 points shy of the req, so that can be kind of frustrating. It gets challenging enough though, the solos are the slowest to progress, I recommend it if you have no problems with the set and want yet another reason to play your guitar.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
You know, I'm curious - is there a reason why HDMI introduces audio lag? Does it have something to do with the way the game processes sound or something?

Top Bottom