• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Legacy |OT| My Great, Great, Great Uncle Who?

Jobbs

Banned
I'm in for a preorder for $10. Sometimes a ticking clock is what it takes to get me to bite. Looks fun as hell.

Should I bother with this demo? How much stuff is in it? Should I just wait until it comes out?

Lint21

Neo Member
The demo is extremely generous. I played it for something like six hours today, and still have plenty to go.

This game is an absolute blast, and I don't particularly like roguelikes or platformers. I had never heard of it until the Giantbomb QL, but man, I'm sold (literally, preordered at the special price).

Just awesome.

elfinke

Just bought it after watching the quicklook. Looks really awesome. Get a drm free version plus steam key later, and soundtrack for 10$. Not a bad deal at all!

Same - I grabbed the demo after watching the QL, played a bunch of it while watching TV (Mad Men), then just bought the damn thing. Tremendous game.

It definitely ran worse in windowed mode than it does in full screen (i5 2500, 6950, 8gb RAM), too, in case anyone else was having problems.

But everything about it is tailored to the style of game I get a kick out of: no fucking hand holding or tutorial, quick and amusing death(s), a quick 'round' is all over in 30sec, but if you pay attention you'll last plenty longer (like FTL or Don't Starve), and just a bunch of nice touches (many of them were shown or hinted at in the GB QL, too) that add up to a game made with love and attention to detail out the wazoo.

Forgot to say thanks for making such a neat OT, Agkel.

Yeah, great trailer!

Look at them skills!
ib1nqmQOEPgyE3.gif

Made this if Agkel wants to use it in OP:
imTWTNOekGNJV.gif

I tried the demo last night and loved it. I also sucked, but I sucked at Binding of Isaac too, at first, and then I got better and it felt glorious. Preordered!

The soundtrack you get along with the preorder is pretty awesome, too.

Does anybody know the difference between the demo and final game? I'm wondering if I should get started now or if I'd be better off waiting for release.

Shaneus

Haven't had a chance to fire up the demo, but going by the videos, am I wrong in thinking it has a *massive* Ghosts 'n' Goblins vibe? Does it control similarly?

Haven't had a chance to fire up the demo, but going by the videos, am I wrong in thinking it has a *massive* Ghosts 'n' Goblins vibe? Does it control similarly?

I'm getting more a Castlevania vibe, but I don't know if you can go to your undies and throwing spears in this :p

Oh right, the knight costume.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
Does anybody know the difference between the demo and final game? I'm wondering if I should get started now or if I'd be better off waiting for release.
If its the same demo I played a couple of weeks ago, compared to what I see in the trailers now:
Demo gets you access to a smaller version of the first castle area (you can get to the boss, but the random generator looks like it always creates a castle much smaller than what the full game will). And no access to the 3 other worlds.
A ton of skills, loot, traits, classes, etc are removed. For example, in the demo there were I think 5 runes per equipment slot and in the giant bomb quicklook there were a lot more.

I think the keep 'skill tree' is different too to allow you to get some basic stuff quickly in the demo but cut off most of the rest.

Given the significant differences, I can't imagine your save file transferring from demo to full game but I don't actually know.

Burt

Game looks great, but I've got a bit of a backlog and might have to wait for it to go on sale. Really looking forward to making some time for it though.

Xater

I think this game looks great but I will only get it once the Mac version is out. That has been my policy ever since the Super Meat boy dabacle of them taking forever of that version.

taoofjord

I really want to like this game but the the feel of moving the character around is so awful. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably really enjoy it. There's certainly a lot to like about the game.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
I really want to like this game but the the feel of moving the character around is so awful. If it wasn't for that, I'd probably really enjoy it. There's certainly a lot to like about the game.
Keep in mind that movement upgrades get unlocked as you continue. I felt it got a lot more fluid once I unlocked double jump and air dashing in the demo.

aravuus

I really wanted to wait but the game looks like so much fun I had to download the demo. .NET framework has been installing for 15 minutes now.....

Agkel

Yeah, great trailer!

Look at them skills!
ib1nqmQOEPgyE3.gif

Made this if Agkel wants to use it in OP:
imTWTNOekGNJV.gif

Thx, will add it when I get home. On my phone right now.

Yeah demo save file wont transfer to the full game. On the differences , like someones else said, going by the trailer and the quicklook the demo is only a small fraction of the full game. So you wont spoil much by playing the demo

~Kinggi~

Banned
Been playing the demo. Game is gonna be crack i can tell. The whole upgrade path system and 'one more try' gameplay coupled with addicting level music is a nice combo.

rybrad

Cannot wait for this to come out, I have close to 13 hours in the demo now I think. If you haven't checked out the demo yet, give it a shot and stick it out for at least 10 runs to get the gist of it.

elfinke

Cannot wait for this to come out, I have close to 13 hours in the demo now I think. If you haven't checked out the demo yet, give it a shot and stick it out for at least 10 runs to get the gist of it.

Oh man, I fell right into that 'one more turn' trap last night harder than any game since FTL last year.

You know how it goes; you have one or two devastatingly poor runs, where the first spike trap and floating eyeball fucks you up and your game is all over in 30 seconds and you think 'fuck this, time to do something else'. But then, by a stroke of good luck, I had a colour blind bearded female gargantuan barbarian run all the way through, gaining some 1400 gold and getting to the (I guess demo enemy spoiler?)
'gatekeeper boss' eyeball thing, Khidr.

With that gold I bought some HP upgrades, a new sword and chestplate and suddenly clearing the demo castle became a bunch easier... except for the sudden appearance of all new enemies (palette swaps that hit harder and have more HP). Clearing the castle now meant I kept finding the spoilered creature above, as well as new areas (like the throw knives at floating targets to win something clown event).

And before I knew it, it was fucking midnight and I'd played 4 hours straight and I struggled to recall how season 3 of Mad Men ended!

Glorious game.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Curious to see how the 3 other areas are handled. They say they are always either top, right or bottom, but i wonder how continues work there....like if you always start at the castle when you reach new areas.

Shaneus

Ah man, did the preorder just disappear? FUCK. I was just playing it :(

Edit: Phew. Whilst I may have missed out, I think I might have circumvented it by accessing the Google cache version of it, let me get it without any hassle.

PHEW.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Ah man, did the preorder just disappear? FUCK. I was just playing it :(

Edit: Phew. Whilst I may have missed out, I think I might have circumvented it by accessing the Google cache version of it, let me get it without any hassle.

PHEW.

clever girl....

Lint21

Neo Member
Man I can't wait for Thursday for the full version to come out. I realized while playing the demo last night that it reminds a lot of Wizards & Warriors for the NES, at least in terms of combat and verticality.

JJD

Just saw Giant Bomb Quick Look.

Lady Sthepanie killed me! This game is funny!

Going to grab it when the mac version is out!

The demo is extremely generous. I played it for something like six hours today, and still have plenty to go.

This game is an absolute blast, and I don't particularly like roguelikes or platformers. I had never heard of it until the Giantbomb QL, but man, I'm sold (literally, preordered at the special price).

Just awesome.

Hah, dude I would have played the crap outta it if I hadn't restrained myself. Like you, I don't normally get down with rogue-likes but I cannot wait for this game.

By the way I'm glad there was a topic made about this game. Also, does anyone know how one is to make topics on this site? Do I need a certain amount of posts or something? Not that I'm eager to start making topics but I wanted to make one on Rogue Legacy as there was none a few days ago.

~Kinggi~

Banned
It is odd to me why im more excited for this than your typical indie releases, cause there have been a bunch of great indie releases that i casually just pick up on the cheap. I dont really know why yet...maybe the resemblance to castlevania and the leveling up systems?

Shaneus

Hah, dude I would have played the crap outta it if I hadn't restrained myself. Like you, I don't normally get down with rogue-likes but I cannot wait for this game.

By the way I'm glad there was a topic made about this game. Also, does anyone know how one is to make topics on this site? Do I need a certain amount of posts or something? Not that I'm eager to start making topics but I wanted to make one on Rogue Legacy as there was none a few days ago.
Juniors can't make threads until they're not juniors anymore, and that's when I think you hit both 200 posts and 3 months membership (I think?). Something like that.

Top Bottom