• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 100 hip-hop tracks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

gutshot

http://feature.rollingstone.com/100-greatest-hip-hop-songs

The top 10:

10. Paid in Full - Eric B. and Rakim
9. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G.
7. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
6. Nuthin but a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
4. Sucker M.C.'s - Run-DMC
3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force
2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

El Topo

No non-English songs?

Lists from American sites/magazines, e.g. literature or music, are always (almost) completely focussed on English works. It's not practical (or necessarily reasonable) to make these lists global and it's better than to add some token entries.

Anth0ny

more like most influential

Putting The Message/Rapper's Delight/Planet rock at the top is like putting Super Mario Bros at the top of a greatest games of all time list. It's a great song, but greatest track of all time? ehhhhh

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Top 100 as far as impact and influence? Because this list certainly meets that criteria and is spot on. Top 100 as far actually quality would look quite different.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
http://feature.rollingstone.com/100-greatest-hip-hop-songs

The top 10:

10. Paid in Full - Eric B. and Rakim
9. Straight Outta Compton - N.W.A.
8. Juicy - The Notorious B.I.G.
7. Fight the Power - Public Enemy
6. Nuthin but a 'G' Thang - Dr. Dre feat. Snoop Doggy Dogg
5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys
4. Sucker M.C.'s - Run-DMC
3. Planet Rock - Afrika Bambaataa and the Soulsonic Force
2. Rapper's Delight - Sugarhill Gang
1. The Message - Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five

Glad to see this getting love. Such a great song.

Brinbe

Not bad at all. Definitely trending towards most influential considering the top 20 is skewed heavily towards the early days.

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
The best rap track of all time is Children's Story by Slick Rick.

hoos30

This is the first one of these lists that I've seen where I could justify every pick they made.

Good job, good effort.

SaviorX

Wu Tang not having anything in the top 10 troubles me.

Because I truly think that if you are considering pure hip hop, Ice Cream by Wu Tang is the greatest song of all time

megalowho

Nice to see '93 'til Infinity on there, even if it's down towards the bottom - classic track.

Would liked to have seen Common's I Used To Love H.E.R. make it but can't fit em all in.

I have no idea about hip hop and I know every song on that list. So yeah, I guess influence or popularity or both were rather important to set this list up.

The whole list, top to bottom, is one of the most solid lists that Rolling Stone has put out.

I don't normally listen to hip-hop, but I know a good song when I hear it and many of these have been on at least one of my playlists at one time or another.

Super mad props for them adding The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheels of Steel at #49. Revolutionary piece for not only hip-hop, but for electronic music as a whole.

hoos30

Wu Tang not having anything in the top 10 troubles me.

Because I truly think that if you are considering pure hip hop, Ice Cream by Wu Tang is the greatest song of all time

C.R.E.A.M. is #11 and is certainly more influential than Ice Cream.

None of those are Flashing Lights by Kanye West.

Nor should any of them be.

None of them are Regulate either

Maybe this, though. Maybe.

"Ante Up" making this list is amazing. I love "What You Know," and I'm still confused by its inclusion. "The Breaks" should have been top thirty at least. "In Da Club" on this list is uh, well, no list can be perfect. "Juicy" is the worst hip-hop song that everyone thinks is great, IMO, though I do like the "Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis/When I was dead broke man, I couldn't picture this" line because, come on, SNES and Genesis!

jrush64

Banned
While a good list, it has some really questionable choices. BMF, really? But no Regulate. Eminem's My Name is... no just no.

Tom Penny

Good as an influential list but they didn't even use Biggie nor Eric B's best tracks. Juicy isn't even close to Biggie's best.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I swear do any of yalls read the list? Also I probably think Heartless by Kanye as an influence should be on there, after all the biggest rapper alive today is here because of that song. Also they probably should of put a song from Kendrick on there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom