• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 100 hip-hop tracks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisGuy

I would legit like this as a playlist. But maybe I'm bias, I want more bone thugz, and rated higher. I dunno why busta rhymes isn't on the list. As much as I like lil Jon, busta is better. I thought das efx would be there or Lords of the underground. Damn no cam'ron, come home with me is one of my all time favs.

Tha Crossroads at 95?
Niggas in Paris at 71?
Gin and Juice all the way back at 54?
Big Poppa outside the top 50???
No Regulate?
No Intergalactic?
No Changes?
A Too Short song that ISN'T titled I Wish?
No Lupe Fiasco or Kendrick Lamar?

This is like a Top 100 list made by 45 year old Hipsters.

Bgamer90

Banned
Tha Crossroads at 95?
Niggas in Paris at 71?
Gin and Juice all the way back at 54?
Big Poppa outside the top 50???
No Regulate?
No Intergalactic?
No Changes?
A Too Short song that ISN'T titled I Wish?
No Lupe Fiasco or Kendrick Lamar?

Yeah... Not a terrible list by any means but definitely flawed.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Rappers Delight actually being in anyone's top lists is actually the #1 sign of somebody trying way too hard

I must not like hip hop, then, because it's easily one of my favorite songs of all time. Just so damn fun.

I wouldn't necessarily look to Rolling Stone for hip-hop recommendations, but if they're trying to rate in terms of impact and influence, I guess they didn't totally fuck up?

I tried ranking my PERSONAL (as in, it's my favorite list so whine somewhere else if you don't like it) favorite rap songs of all time. This is all I have so far.

12. Slick Rick @ Doug E. Fresh-La-Di-Da-Di
11. Jungle Brothers-Doin Our Own Dang
10. Kurtis Blow: Basketball
9. Eyedea and Abilities-Liquid Sovereignty
8. Mobb Deep-Shook Ones, Part; 2.
7. Da Art Of Storytellin'-Outkast
6. Uncommon Valor: A Vietnam Story-Jedi Mind Tricks Ft. R.A. The Rugged Man
5. Sunshine-Atmosphere
4. Mind of a Lunatic-Geto Boys
3. Lose Yourself-Eminem
2. Rapper's Delight-The Sugarhill Hang
1. The Message-Grandmaster Flash

?

5. Sunshine-Atmosphere

While I think they have much better songs, the list as a whole seems to completely ignore contemporary artists not named Kanye West. I mean shit, they didn't even include Renegade by Jay-Z ft. Eminem which is probably one of the best songs either of them have worked on. Putting Nigga's In Paris on there and ignoring Renegade is a complete sham unto itself.

While I think they have much better songs, the list as a whole seems to completely ignore contemporary artists not named Kanye West. I mean shit, they didn't even include Renegade by Jay-Z ft. Eminem which is probably one of the best songs either of them have worked on. Putting Nigga's In Paris on there and ignoring Renegade is a complete sham unto itself.

Uh....what?

This is my list, breh. I'm sure Rolling Stone doesn't have a single Atmosphere song on their list. But I didn't even bother to read the whole thing, heh.

jesu

I need to check this list out more closely but out of the top ten Geto Boys is the only one I don't have.
I might find some good uns in the rest of the list too.

here's my top 20 in no particular order...

Young MC - Know How (Original 12'' Mix)
King Bee - Back By Dope Demand (Original 12'' Mix)
Mekon feat. Schoolly D - Skools Out (Deck Wrecka Tufnell Parkside remix)
Ice Cube feat George Clinton - Bop Gun (One Nation)
Grandmaster Flash & Melle Mel - White Lines (Don't Don't Do It)
Lyrics Born - I Changed My Mind (Stereo MC's Rattlesnake Remix)
A Tribe Called Quest - Can I Kick It?
Bomb The Bass & Justin Warfield - Bug Powder Dust (La Funk Mob Remix)
Ultramagnetic MC's - Give the Drummer Some
Rob Base and DJ E-Z Rock - It Takes Two
Del Tha Funkee Homosapien - Mistadobalina
Ice-T - The Lane (E.V.A. remix)
Eric B & Rakim - Paid In Full [Seven Minutes Of Madness The Coldcut Remix]
The Sugarhill Gang - Rapper's Delight
EPMD - Strictly Business
N.W.A. - Express Yourself (Remix)
Skee-Lo - I Wish
Stetsasonic - Talkin' All That Jazz
De La Soul - The Magic Number
Public Enemy - Don't Believe the Hype
Blackalicious - Deception

Uh....what?

This is my list, breh. I'm sure Rolling Stone doesn't have a single Atmosphere song on their list. But I didn't even bother to read the whole thing, heh.

...I know. That's what I was saying. It was 2 loosely connected trains of thought. Sunshine is for some reason Atmosphere's most popular song, but I personally think they have much better songs (Guarantees, Hair, and Trying To Find A Balance all come to mind), and that Rolling Stone ignored most artists after like 2001 not named Kanye West.

Hmm.

Not a bad list at all.

That said, the absence of a single song from Liquid Swords is bothering the fuck out of me. I need representation from any of the following:

- GZA (Liquid Swords, 4th Chaimber or Shadowboxin perhaps?)
- OutKast - Something off Atliens or Aquemini? (Elevators, 2 Dope Boyz In A Cadillac, ATLiens, Return of the G, etc.?)
- Tela (Sho Nuff)
- Craig Mack (Flava In Ya Ear Remix)
- Goodie Mobb (Any of: Dirty South, Cell Therapy, Soul Food, I Refuse Limitation)
- Other Nas (One Mic, If I Ruled The World, The Message, Watch Dem Niggas)
- Other 50 (Up In Da Club wasn't even the best track on the album, though it was no doubt the most impactful)
- Luniz (5 On It!)
- Roots (What They Do)
- Snoop (Down 4 My Niggas remains an anthem 20 years after release)

Idunno where they'd go. I just remember loving all of those. In addition to tracks others have mentioned like Regulate. Other classics during that period like Summertime and Funkdafied might also be appropriate somewhere. Maybe we just need a longer list.

Also I need:

- Supa Dupa Fly to be higher than anything by Jermaine Dupree
-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom