• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 100 hip-hop tracks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.

K.Sabot

ctrl-f "it ain't hard to tell"

that's not high enough

also this website is shit, my ghostery blocked me from looking at the list.

It's Rolling Stones...what'd you expect
I don't follow Rolling Stones, so I was expecting them not to put it on there. I forget that song exists most of the time.

image.php

what in the fuck? lol
Is there a reason why you avatar quoted me?

Fucking awesome to see "Mind Playing Tricks on Me" on the list.

Though the line "he stood about six or seven feet" has always bugged me. Even Bushwick Bill should be able to tell the difference there..

20. In Da Club
31. N.Y. State of Mind

65. A Milli
81. It Ain't Hard TO Tell

I'm not even a Nas fan and I know this list is straight up garbage. An seriously, Get your freak on by Missy Elliot at 38?

Crossroads needs to be wayyy higher

Did I miss Hit em up? or is it not on the list?

I agree about Crossroads. One of my favorite songs. I looked through most of the list, was Singles only qualified because there are some album tracks that are better than some of the ones they picked?

Love seeing Biggie pop up frequently in that list, but Notorious Thugs is quite possibly his best track, and it's not there.

Also, 50 Cent doesn't even deserve to be on that list, let alone the top 20.

Notorious thugs

I got a story to tell

Everyday struggle

Also no 2nd round knockout, this list is too 80s heavy

noquarter

This is actually a decent list for people that don't like hip-hop to check it out, and in that sense I could see somebody calling this a greatest of all time list.

So I'm going to assume this is all safe picks so that people that usually don't listen to hip-hop will check out a few of the songs on here and not immediately shit on the genre. Good list to have for the semi-annual "Just got into hip hop recommend me some songs" thread.

Rocwell

This list leans on the 80s too heavily for my taste, and some of the tracks they selected to represent artist's best kinda made me scratch my head, but no Dilla automatically disqualifies it in my eyes. I don't think they even had a single track produced by him in the top 100

No Mos Def, Kweli or Black Star
No Common and he's won Grammys for crying out loud.
No Roots
No Del
No Kool Keith
No Doom
No Madlib
No Busta Rhymes?? I mean they put Scenario on there but you'd think he'd at least get a nod for Woo Ha or Put your Hands or something.
I love Outkast to death but they're overrepresented on this list imo. Speaking of overrepresented Jay-Z is on there 6 times.
Only one Gang Starr track, I'd like to see Just to Get a Rep or something in addition to Mass Appeal
Something about having both In da Club and Big Pimpin in the top 20 rubs me the wrong way. Putting Jermaine Dupri on a best anything list makes me roll my eyes too.
I like that they chose to put some women on this list but I feel like leaving out Queen Latifah is a major oversight. Who the fuck is L'Trimm? U.N.I.T.Y. is a greater song than Cars with the Boom any fucking day of the week.

I like Ante Up on the list, Souls of Mischief at 93 was cute too I guess. Geto Boys in the otherwise totally safe top 10 is the best thing about it imo

noquarter

I agree with most of that, but Kool Keith is represented on the list, Ultramagnetic MCs is on there.

I thought OutKast was also over represented and do have to agree with The Roots exclusion being pretty big. ?Love is on late night, for sure they could have thrown The Roots a spot.

Common not being on there also seems really shitty.

I like Doom, but understand why he didn't make the list. Same reason they didn't put Atmosphere on there probably (don't think they have anything that should be up there but sure people think otherwise.)

Rocwell

Did a ctrl f on the article and noticed that Jay Z is mentioned 23 times, even on tracks he wasn't directly involved with like A Milli, Top Billin, Hypnotize, and Ain't no Half Steppin. Every time they mention him it's like RS is trying to give him a blowjob in print.

Jay Z has since claimed that he's a little ashamed by the rawness of his tricky verses on "Big Pimpin' ." "I thug 'em, fuck 'em, love 'em, leave 'em/'Cause I don't fuckin' need 'em," he boasts. "What kind of animal would say this sort of thing?" Jay said of his own lyrics. "Reading it is really harsh." But "Big Pimpin'" is the ultimate playa anthem, radiating excess and power.

ngff02

Jay-Z is one of my favorite rappers but if you put (money ain't a thang, 99 problems, big pimpin) on a top 100 greatest rap songs list, you fucked up.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
All the Kanye, Eminem, and Jay Z stanning makes this list look more like a Pitchfork list than a Rolling Stone list.

No 'I Used To Love Her' is a huge omission. It Was A Good Day as the only Ice Cube representative. Whole thing reads like, 'I'm 'a hip hop expert. I listen to Liquid Swords and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy like all the time'

MIMIC

Banned
Eh, don't know how I feel about "In Da Club" being so high on the list (or on there at all, lol). But whatever. I'd love an album of all of these songs.

What a safe and boring ass top 10. I suppose if we're talking about impact and influence, MAYBE. But even then there are songs that are more recent and also more relevant when discussing influence.

Acrylic7

In da Club does not deserve to be in the top 20.

That song was absurdly huge and 'Get Rich or Die Trying' was a fantastic Album though. 50 was the most popular artist for a few years. Hes all anyone every talked about in High school. I feel pretty good with it being at 20.

Going up and down the chart these rankings are kind of insane, but whatever. It sent me on an afternoon of awesome youtube surfing, so thanks for that.

FZZ

Banned
This list

ifrfr2W.png

All the Kanye, Eminem, and Jay Z stanning makes this list look more like a Pitchfork list than a Rolling Stone list.

No 'I Used To Love Her' is a huge omission. It Was A Good Day as the only Ice Cube representative. Whole thing reads like, 'I'm 'a hip hop expert. I listen to Liquid Swords and My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy like all the time'

Putting Kanye in the same breath as Eminem and Jay Z

MBDTF hate

ifrfr2W.png

bomma_man

Conservative top ten apart from no 5. Great track.

Hip hop culture is American. Non-American rap is bad. No matter how "good" it is. It doesn't have the background or context.

This is dumb. By the same criteria the Beatles and Stones are bad rock music.

Boy in da corner, a grand don't come for free, and original pirate material are stone cold classics, and none of them are from the US.

IrishNinja

safe list, but mostly fair

ctrl F "Triumph"

yea, list is trash. no one listens to the song C.R.E.A.M. unless they just heard about Wu-Tang yesterday

come on, triumph is class but C.R.E.A.M. belongs there

ctrl+f run the jewels
ctrl+f el-p
ctrl+f killer mike
ctrl+f deltron
ctrl+f cannibal ox
ctrl+f the roots
ctrl+f dan the automator
ctrl+f prince paul

damn dude, branch out from college radio hip hop shows a little

Why no Lupe "Kick Push"?

wouldn't make a top 250

No non-English songs?

wouldn't make a top 500

Putting Kanye in the same breath as Eminem and Jay Z

MBDTF hate

true, Em & Jay dropped multiple classics before falling off....but their most beloved albums are arguably overrated as well, so i can see the connection, good looks on that

Kyzer

Banned
Rappers Delight actually being in anyone's top lists is actually the #1 sign of somebody trying way too hard

Rappin' 4-Tay - I'll Be Around is always missing from these lists, and it's wrong. one of the most amazing pieces of hiphop music i've ever heard. will always be a classic to me.

good to see Dead Prez on there though, love that track. Souls of Mischief too.

i will never understand the love for Kanye or Jay Z. i just don't get it, both are super annoying to me. and Notorious B.I.G was boring even back when he was alive, sorry. also Illmatic is overrated, Nas has made better albums in the 00s. i should probably start running by now.

Meh.

On another note, weirdly enough, I DO agree with their first two picks, those are actually my two favorite rap song of all time, in that order. The Message is the best rap song ever, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom