• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rolling Stone ranks the top 100 hip-hop tracks of all time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Glad to see:

Humpty Dance
Baby Got Back
Just A Friend
Several Run DMC tracks

Disappointed by the lack of:

Grand Puba - 360 (What Goes Around)
Fat Boys - Stick 'em

Overall the list needed a few more Ice Cube and Beastie Boy tracks but it's decent for a mainstream top 100 list I guess.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If the criteria is most influential then yeah, decent list... but best? Nah... no good.

Top 10 is all classic rap.

I don't know what I'd put as the top 3 rap songs, but I sure as hell know it isn't those 3. They have their place, but it's not at the top.

Galang

Banned
Surprised they included M.I.A., kudos to them.. even though she's last place.. Good list overall, but I feel they went with what was popular rather than the artists' best song. It's largely subjective either way so I guess I see where they're coming from

impact

Banned
ctrl F "Triumph"

yea, list is trash. no one listens to the song C.R.E.A.M. unless they just heard about Wu-Tang yesterday

jblank83

http://feature.rollingstone.com/100-greatest-hip-hop-songs

The top 10:

5. Mind Playing Tricks on Me - Geto Boys

Nice, but no "Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1L8l3LrzLA

maxresdefault.jpg

ctrl+f run the jewels
ctrl+f el-p
ctrl+f killer mike
ctrl+f deltron
ctrl+f cannibal ox
ctrl+f the roots
ctrl+f dan the automator
ctrl+f prince paul

U6xWtZJ.jpg

Looking at the list now. Why the fuck would you put that awful ass Cars with the Boom on there? I never considered it a rap song either. There are 100 better songs than it that could be in its place.

Laz-E-Boy

No Common "I Used to Love H.E.R"?

No Tribe "Electric Relaxation"?

No Roots period?

No Digable Planets - Rebirth Of Slick?

whatever. I'm not tripping that much. Lists in general (especially from publications like Rolling Stone) are always silly

br3wnor

8 songs from the last 10 years. Only one from the last 5 I think.

Majority are 1980 to 1995 or so, more of a most influential list.

Yeah, hip hop lists are dumb for some reason. Yes, I understand the importance of Rapper's Delight in terms of hip hop history but objectively it's not even close to one of the best hip hop songs ever. It's weird, they do this with the top 10 in Hip Hop lists but not Rock. Rock you have plenty of the truly great songs from the 70's and beyond near the top, they don't fill it with 1950's crap that was original 'rock and roll'. (I'm specifically referencing the top 10, not the total 100)

kswiston

Yeah, hip hop lists are dumb for some reason. Yes, I understand the importance of Rapper's Delight in terms of hip hop history but objectively it's not even close to one of the best hip hop songs ever. It's weird, they do this with the top 10 in Hip Hop lists but not Rock. Rock you have plenty of the truly great songs from the 70's and beyond near the top, they don't fill it with 1950's crap that was original 'rock and roll'. (I'm specifically referencing the top 10, not the total 100)

Rock is heavily skewed towards old stuff by publications like Rolling Stone as well though. It's basically a list of what Baby Boomers liked in their youth with a smattering of 80s-2000s stuff thrown in.

With Rap, you have Gen X-ers picking the music they listened to when they were 18, and then a smattering of stuff from the past 15 years.

Nuthin but a G thang is the greatest rap song ever. Saying The Message is number one is like saying Pong is the greatest video game ever.

Fevaweva

Rapper's Delight is a fucking shit song and is filled with cringe-inducing verses. I would've picked C.R.E.A.M. or Life's a Bitch over that.

Really, though, that top 5 is some crap. Those songs are influential, yes, but no one in their right mind would put them in the top 10 rap songs of all time unless they were some 50 year old rock criti.....oh wait.

Grakl

This may be a shock to you, but there's people out there that still listen to hip-hop made past 1993.
What? I only got into hiphop like 5 years ago and those are all the groups/artists that I listened to at first lol, I like all of them. Like those artists just look like a beginner's toolkit or something, I see other people listing those artists together too

Love seeing Biggie pop up frequently in that list, but Notorious Thugs is quite possibly his best track, and it's not there.

Also, 50 Cent doesn't even deserve to be on that list, let alone the top 20.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
2Pac Change's should be on the list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom