• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Dark Knight Rises, or how TDKR is my favorite Batman movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
The film gets a lot of unwarranted hate on GAF.

It's a pretty damn good movie. Some folks are just hungry to find any excuse to tear the Nolan Batman down.

Get ready for a lot of reposts of that fighting gif.

lol I don't think you understand the situation. BB and TDK were amazing. TDKR was terrible. That is the consensus. It has nothing to do with Nolan and everything to do with it being a terrible movie on all fronts.

Hell, I even liked Inception...but TDKR - nah son

I like how if you hate this movie you also hate the other Nolan bat movies.

Not true I only hate TDK and TDKR

BB is a fantastic movie as well as a top ten Superhero movie IMO.

I liked Batman Returns the best.

While neither Catwoman nor Penguin tops Ledger or Nicholson's Jokers, combined by the glue of Max Shreck, they form the best group of villains ever to appear in the movies, and Michael Keaton Batman is the best Batman.

So what was the purpose of that scene where they call john blake robin

It seems almost entirely functionless except to clumsily make a dumb batman reference

CloudWolf

The hate TDKR gets around here is ridiculous. I also thought it was the weakest of the Nolan Batman films, but I still loved it for exactly the reasons the OP gives. It felt like a worthy and logical conclusion to the trilogy.

kiguel182

Another week another DKR thread.

It's a bad movie full of cliches, lazy writing and void of any interesting ideas.

Beautiful cinematography but that's normal with Nolan movies.

I was hyped as hell for the movie, went to premier and left the theatre frustrated that this was the culmination of the saga. At least I didn't pay to see it.

kiguel182

So what was the purpose of that scene where they call john blake robin

It seems almost entirely functionless except to clumsily make a dumb batman reference

I literally face palmed during that. It was a dumb node to fans that just felt awkward and out of place.

It think it gets unwarranted hate on GAF. Its a very entertaining movie. Of course it has its faults, but they're not of the variety that takes something away from your viewing experience.

CloudWolf

I don't get why everybody ridicules this line. It's pretty obvious that Littlefinger interrups Bane when he's saying "It would be extremely painful for you", it's not like this is an example of Nolan's supposedly shitty writing. It kinda reminds me of those idiots that were overanalyzing a scene from TDK where The Joker tries to drink from an empty glass (which is completely in-character) and claim that it is a goof that made it in the movie.

Tobor

It's a huge letdown after TDK. A meandering mess, a hodgepodge of bad ideas thrown together after Ledgers death forced them to go another way.

Bad enough not to have the Joker involved, but to go with Bane? Unforgivable. Bane has always and will forever suck. I'd rather see Calendar Man or King Tut than Bane.

Imbarkus

As Sartre noted in his contemplation on Hell in No Exit, the true horror is other members.
3664402-138689442368.gif

Not sure why shitty fights have to be a long-standing feature of the Batman movie franchise.

At least we know this shit does not fly in combination with a Superman story. Getting the punches right is like 80% of Superman.

lol I don't think you understand the situation. BB and TDK were amazing. TDKR was terrible. That is the consensus. It has nothing to do with Nolan and everything to do with it being a terrible movie on all fronts.

Hell, I even liked Inception...but TDKR - nah son
I tend to trust user reviews over critics, and the consensus seems to be that movie is pretty well liked and highly rated

The consensus on GAF isn't always indicative of how the general moviegoer perceives a film

TDKR. Decent movie. Horrible Batman movie. Such a missed opportunity to have Batman as an outlaw. Especially after the "dark knight" speech Gordon gave at the end of TDK. Sorry, but Nolan's Batman is a huge pussy. In the entire trilogy he was Batman for what, eight month tops? "A legend Mr. Wayne" NOPE.

I don't get why everybody ridicules this line. It's pretty obvious that Littlefinger interrups Bane when he's saying "It would be extremely painful for you", it's not like this is an example of Nolan's supposedly shitty writing. It kinda reminds me of those idiots that were overanalyzing a scene from TDK where The Joker tries to drink from an empty glass (which is completely in-character) and claim that it is a goof that made it in the movie.

I think the "For You" comment was a clever reply to the OP saying he thought the movie was great. Example...."I thought TDKR was a great movie." -- "FOR YOU".

I tend to trust user reviews over critics, and the consensus seems to be that movie is pretty well liked and highly rated

The consensus on GAF isn't always indicative of how the general moviegoer perceives a film

Well, GAF likes Man of Steel, while everyone I know IRL dislikes it.

We also thought that the Vita was going to kill the 3DS.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
The film gets a lot of unwarranted hate on GAF.

It's a pretty damn good movie. Some folks are just hungry to find any excuse to tear the Nolan Batman down.

Get ready for a lot of reposts of that fighting gif.

Not really. I went into it with no real expectations of quality (didn't think it would be great, didn't think it would be bad) and even watching it in the theater I was amazed at what a mess it was

Bloodrage

Banned
Batman Begins is still the best of the trilogy, though The Dark Knight did have the best villain.

You mean to tell me Christian Bale ISN'T actually fucking them up for real? Mind blown! I wonder if the same could be said about other movies as well!

The Dark Knight Rises was the movie where Nolan let everyone know just how excited he was to direct another superhero movie. In other words, he wasn't excited about it. How do we know? Because Batman was barely in it. Not to mention he got some fundamental things wrong with the characterizations of Bruce and Alfred.

It was such a bad movie and an even worse Batman movie.

Begins was genius and TDK was good too. Not sure where in the process TDKR went so wrong.

I like how if you hate this movie you also hate the other Nolan bat movies.

Not true I only hate TDK and TDKR

BB is a fantastic movie as well as a top ten Superhero movie IMO.

I'm curious to see your top ten super hero movie list that TDK didn't rank on it.

For me it is I think

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Winter Soldier
4. Spider-man
5. Batman Returns
6. X-men: First Class
7. X-men: Days of the Future Past
8. Blade 2
9. The Dark Knight Returns
10. Ironman

Guardians of the Galaxy felt more like a Sci-Fi Com than a traditional super hero movie. Honorable mention to Superman 1/2.

It's my favorite of the trilogy for sure. I liked Bane as an antagonist. Felt the movie was exciting and the stakes were high. I even enjoyed Zimmer's score, which many felt was overwhelmingly bombastic. The intro scene on the airplane in IMAX was one of the best movie experiences I have ever had. Some of the other IMAX scenes took my breath away. Watched it 3 times and enjoyed each viewing.

I did like the other 2 as well, so it's not like this preference makes me think they suck or anything.

Hazelhurst

I've only seen this movie once, which was in the theater. I thought the flying bat mobile was the star. That thing was badass. I've got to see this again. Nolan is the man.

Saw Interstellar twice in the theater.

I'm curious to see your top ten super hero movie list that TDK didn't rank on it.

For me it is I think

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Winter Soldier
4. Spider-man
5. Batman Returns
8. Blade 2
10. Ironman

Guardians of the Galaxy felt more like a Sci-Fi Com than a traditional super hero movie. Honorable mention to Superman 1/2.

Well I like half your list. A few of those would be on my top ten. Nice to see Spiderman there, usually Spiderman2 is rated higher.

Has-Anyone-seen-the-Joker.jpg

Sephzilla

For me it is I think

1. The Dark Knight
2. Batman Begins
3. Winter Soldier
4. Spider-man
5. Batman Returns
8. Blade 2
10. Ironman

Props for having Spider-Man 1 over Spider-Man 2. All of the Raimi films have aged kind of poorly but I've always thought the first movie was better. Also, after rewatching Batman Returns again for the first time in what felt like a decade I totally approve of it being as high as you ranked it.

I can't forgive Batman Returns for the terrible scene where Batman rips his mask off. It looks so bad how thick the neck is. Also instantly you know Shreck is gonna bite the bullet.

Sephzilla

I can't forgive Batman Returns for the terrible scene where Batman rips his mask off. It looks so bad how thick the neck is. Also instantly you know Shreck is gonna bite the bullet.

I didn't have a problem with it. The only thing that bugs me is how his eye shadow vanishes between shots. Shreck was also AlreadyDead.jpg well before he found out who Batman was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom