• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumbleverse shutting down end of February 2023.

MiguelItUp

Info via Tom Henderson

The Iron Galaxy developed brawler BR is apparently shutting down at the end of February 2023. Really sad to see this happen considering the game was a lot of fun, and had a ton of potential IMO. But everything about it just wasn't handled that well. Great concept, but a questionable execution.

If you were curious about playing it, I'd recommend doing it while you can!

A Switch port WAS apparently in development, but with the trajectory of things, it surely didn't make it. Looks like the combo of EGS exclusive, poor marketing, lack of content + roadmap, etc. did it in. :(

Pour one out for one of the more unique and fun BRs that existed!
Pour One Out Malt Liquor GIF
Austin Pour One Out GIF by Pixel Bandits

Last edited:

MiguelItUp

Was a fun game, but I dropped it first month due to the content being really light. RIP another decent service game that couldn't survive...Spellbreak all over.
Yeah, same, honestly. I was excited about being really into a multiplayer game that I thought I'd never want to stop playing. But the content was way too light. By the time they started adding some, it was way too late.

Spellbreak was great too, very, very, very similar situation. However what's odd about this is that Epic helped with publishing. I'm surprised they didn't help... more so, lol.

MiguelItUp

i really feel bad for the devs, imagine working 3+ years on something and then seeing it disappear for ever...no archive...nobody will ever be able to play it again
Right? Same. I mean, they apparently attempted to get the "OK" on the game in the past and it was denied. So to get it greenlit, and then have this happen is just awful. I can't imagine how it must feel. Especially when the game had a lot of potential. I honestly think the art style and look of the game didn't help much either, unfortunately. Everyone just associated it with Fortnite, which is understandable.

I didn't care for Hyperscape, personally. But I know a lot of people did. I wonder if this died faster than, or about the same amount of time?

Luipadre

Game was fun and awesome, too bad everyone is crawling back to shit cod and fortnite. These unique games dont stand a chance sadly

i really feel bad for the devs, imagine working 3+ years on something and then seeing it disappear for ever...no archive...nobody will ever be able to play it again
I don't know this game, but MP games should at least have a mode with bots to preserve it somewhat, even if that is not the best or intented way of playing it. In that way it could be an easy addition to any sub service and offer at least some players some fun whenever they stumble upon it and sort of forever generate some small revenue, if it is not stumbling over some backwards compatibility issue.
And hopefully they don't forget to code it in a way that a server shutdown won't cripple such an offline mode and limit progress, like it did with Onrush, Dead Star or Starblood Arena where some portions or almost everything vanishes with the server gone.

That's around the same time Activision is killing Crash on the Run in less than 1.5 years.

The service strategy can only work with some games, and if successful most of the audience will be on those games, the rest won't be as interested, so a flood of Gaas all going for the same pie can't work.

MiguelItUp

I don't know this game, but MP games should at least have a mode with bots to preserve it somewhat, even if that is not the best or intented way of playing it. In that way it could be an easy addition to any sub service and offer at least some players some fun whenever they stumble upon it and sort of forever generate some small revenue, if it is not stumbling over some backwards compatibility issue.
And hopefully they don't forget to code it in a way that a server shutdown won't cripple such an offline mode and limit progress, like it did with Onrush, Dead Star or Starblood Arena where some portions or almost everything vanishes with the server gone.
The game actually does have bots that are available to replace player slots. However, because the game functions with live servers, if they aren't receiving any steady income then the game is unsustainable. So, without breaking even, or losing money, shutting it down is the only decision for them. Especially if they're not getting any more financial support from partners, publisher, etc.

Last edited:

Pejo

Interesting trend we're seeing in shutting down unpopular service games REALLY quickly. On one hand, it's probably not a big deal since they see the metrics and there probably aren't a lot of players.

On the other hand, it's bad optics for future live service games to see multiple games getting shut down in a year or two from launch. Like I don't think anybody's clamoring to get into the ground floor of whatever S-E or Ubi GaaS shit comes out in the next year.

I think more than anything, they're likely experimenting to see if they can become one of the "big" live service games (Fortnite, Genshin) and cutting their losses early when they miss.

analog_future

Resident Crybaby
Interesting trend we're seeing in shutting down unpopular service games REALLY quickly. On one hand, it's probably not a big deal since they see the metrics and there probably aren't a lot of players.

On the other hand, it's bad optics for future live service games to see multiple games getting shut down in a year or two from launch. Like I don't think anybody's clamoring to get into the ground floor of whatever S-E or Ubi GaaS shit comes out in the next year.

I think more than anything, they're likely experimenting to see if they can become one of the "big" live service games (Fortnite, Genshin) and cutting their losses early when they miss.

Yep, it's going to make consumers less willing to invest in new live service IP in fear that it's going to be shut down in a matter of months.

Shit like this is just going to make the industry even more risk-averse and we're just going to be left with Fortnite, COD, Genshin, Destiny, and Apex.

Bragr

Banned
If this is true, it's sort of shocking how quickly they are pulling the plug.

I wonder if this is a new paradigm shift when it comes to free-to-play GAAS games, publishers are not willing to wait for growth, it has to hit or it's gone.

MiguelItUp

I wonder if this is a new paradigm shift when it comes to free-to-play GAAS games, publishers are not willing to wait for growth, it has to hit or it's gone.
Yeah, but it makes since AFAIK. If the project is bleeding out, and they know that there's nothing to bring it back and/or then some. Then it's probably best to just pull the plug. If they don't, they're just going to be wasting money, work, and time.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Battle Royales made by people who don't understand the genre have a hard time on the market.

I played this for ~2 hours with a disgusted look on my face for the majority of that time.

Last edited:
Battle Royales made by people who don't understand the genre have a hard time on the market.

I played this for ~2 hours with a disgusted look on my face for the majority of that time.
I think, like most things, its just a game of numbers. If we get 10 BRs one will take off for whatever reason...partially quality but it just resonates at the time that it does...this and spell break are both great games, but didn't have the staying power despite great gameplay.

Meowtor

Gold Member
played a few rounds and it was fun but also light on content. Really sad to see it go away so quickly though :( to be fair also: theres too many BR games out there and GAAS is also just... a lot to juggle for someone whos already doing seasons for Fortnite, Destiny 2 and CoD MW2.

Saber

It is. Most of them go with hot trends without a single fuck given other than the promisse of easy money. Its like I said in another GaaS who perished as well, they throw shit at the wall and see if it sticks. Repeats the process if it doesn't.

Last edited:

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
I think, like most things, its just a game of numbers. If we get 10 BRs one will take off for whatever reason...partially quality but it just resonates at the time that it does...this and spell break are both great games, but didn't have the staying power despite great gameplay.

That's like looking at a Ferrari and a Mack Truck and wondering why the Ferrari had better lap times. "It's just a crap shoot who wins" only makes sense if you don't understand the fundamentals of what makes a successful track car.

Battle Royale blew up for very legitimate reasons. The developers who understood those reasons delivered successful BR titles and the one's that didn't, flopped.

Imagine going to a publisher to greenlight your new game and they ask you "Why was Fortnite successful and Rumbleverse wasn't?" and then responding with "I don't know. Luck?"

Last edited:

Anime-Vix

That really fast. It has only been a couple of months. The game came out on Aug 11th and it now quickly shut down. Im a little disappointed with EPIC.
They are a rich company, shutting down support of a game that fast will make new players hesitate to try games from you in the future.

poodaddy

Probably the ugliest game made in the last decade in terms of art style. I do feel bad for Iron Galaxy though. What a weird studio....some truly great games, and quite a few fuckin turds, have come out of Iron Galaxy. I want good things to happen for them, but this game was never gonna succeed in the long term, and to be honest I can't see how they would have ever thought the art style was passable.

How much money is put into these gaas games compared to traditional games? Seems they cost way more and waste so much money if not getting lightning in a bottle sales.

MiguelItUp

The biggest factor why this game fails

GaaS + non-shooter.
That was also what I thought was the coolest thing about it. Honestly, I think it really is a fault of the content, marketing, etc. Lots of potential, and POOF! It's gone.

SweetShark

Needed more attractive stylish characters and less fatness to survive.

Seriously, why they advertised so many fat people? I understand 'why', but it is not pleasant to look at for the majority of us.

Except if it is fat lewd asses.

Barlow

Live services for Rumbleverse will go offline on Tuesday, February 28, at 10AM CST.
Any player who has spent money on Rumbleverse is eligible for a refund of money spent on or in the game. This includes the purchase of a Rumbleverse Battle Pass or Brawlla Bills on any platform. We will share a FAQ page with additional refund information soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom