• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Bethesda will announce Skyrim remaster at E3

BobLoblaw

Banned
Well, I never did finish it, so maybe (if it's cheap). Otherwise, stop wasting resources and give me a proper sequel please.

Totally fine for anyone who only experienced it on older consoles. (assuming they get this 1080/60)

Likely pointless for anyone who played it on a decent PC.

But, I think most of the mod talk isn't really worthwhile.

Sure, there are some good mods but it was always the terrible animation and clunky combat that held the game back, not the textures or much else.

(edit: and the five total voice actors, terrible cutscenes, horrible story)

The game is 5 years old and even 5 years ago the animation and combat was shit.

A remaster of Morrowind would be an absolutely herculean effort.

And I'm not talking about the graphics.

Morrowind's engine has no Occlusion Culling or any semblance of Binary Space Partitioning. This necessitates the five-feet-in-front-of-your-face fog, as the engine is literally rendering EVERYTHING within (and beyond) that fog distance without ANY BSP logic telling it to not render what the player can't see. The only closest thing is the Cells system, but that's for memory management, not rendering

Yes, that's right. Morrowind's engine is absent of a rendering technique that was revolutionized in Doom almost a decade before. That's like Unity's lack of High Dynamic Range - Except worse since this is a MAJOR performance killer instead of "muh graphics" moaning.

That is the SINGLE biggest performance killer in Morrowind, especially if you use a mod that increases view distance, as it will render LITERALLY EVERYTHING within the player's view distance radius, all three hundred and sixty degrees around, with NOTHING un-rendered. This shit kicks the ass of even the most powerful PCs to this day. You'd need the Avatar rendering farm to run it at a solid framerate with a high view distance.

Also - Some parts of the engine make use of a pre-X86 instruction set and a handful of long since deprecated X86 instructions. This wasn't an issue back in 2002 - Pentium 4 and other processors still supported them natively. Modern processors can still run them, but anything newer than Pentium D has to emulate these instructions, which is yet another drain on performance, even if minor.

Those engine issues alone are the biggest barriers to a Morrowind remaster. The gaming mainstream would TRASH it if it still had that damned fog - And to get rid of that fog would require serious heavy lifting beyond the scope of pretty much every remaster.

...Also if the combat is to remain intact, it's absolutely mandatory that they would program an animation system in akin to KOTOR's that SHOWS every single dodge and parry in detail instead of what it looks like now - Otherwise the mainstream would absolutely MOCK the game AGAIN* over the combat being two people standing in place wildly waving their swords at eachother back and forth at point blank CLEARLY hitting eachother, but arbitrarily missing because the game said so.

*(You want to know why Oblivion got rid of dice-roll combat? Because Morrowind's flaccid combat became one of the biggest memes of the gaming world back then and to this very day in mockery of Bethesda. That's not something to be proud of. So they took the easy route and just simply gutted RNG for the sequel)

SpartanN92

Banned
Who in the right fucking mind would buy this game again?

$30 or less.

Ummmm I love re-masters...$30-$40 with DLC sounds fair to me. I have a high end PC more than capable of running Skyrim at 1080p/60fps but I truthfully just prefer consoles and I'd love another go round at Skyrim.

Must be really nice to be a big name development studio now.

A: "Guys we need some cash inflow while we work on our next game for 4 more years."

B: "But Title Y isn't even close to done."

A: "Its okay we will just re-release Title W as 'remastered'"

B: "But Title W has only been out for 5 years and has mod support, surely people wouldn't pay us again for a game with marginally better textures and upscaled resolution."

A smirks

A: "You've got a lot to learn kid. Now start pulling in the uncompressed versions of those textures from 5 years ago."

#RemasterCashGrab

Hyperbole and exaggeration were used in the making of this satire

Branson

Ummmm I love re-masters...$30-$40 with DLC sounds fair to me. I have a high end PC more than capable of running Skyrim at 1080p/60fps but I truthfully just prefer consoles and I'd love another go round at Skyrim.

I love remasters too. But it pisses me off when they won't also release the updates to the PC versions of the game. It makes sense with console exclusive stuff that wasnt even on PC.

What? You have to be kidding? Even with mod support a good number of the best mods won't be available without support for the script extender! This game doesn't need a remaster, it has a huge number of mods available already on PC and a healthy community that supports them.

SpartanN92

Banned
I love remasters too. But it pisses me off when they won't also release the updates to the PC versions of the game. It makes sense with console exclusive stuff that wasnt even on PC.

I'm not familiar with the PC version not getting updates... It's been a long time since I played Skyrim, I vaguely remember them adding kill cams to Bow/Magic and maybe Hourse combat? Is this what you are talking about or are you talking performance updates/bug fixes?

You're really a masochist if, after getting burned with skyrim on ps3, you'll buy the remastered

I don't know. I played it till platinum on ps3. Was a bit chuggy at times but still playable.

When Morrowind came out and I played it on a PC with just a geforce2 and frame rate was often in the teens. Bit still that remains the most memorable ES game for me.

I tried playing MW later on a much higher spec PC but it didn't stick because I felt I had seen everything already. Even with better graphics the atmosphere was about the same. I kind of expect that will be the case with Skyrim tooo. Prob wont buy it till it is like under 10usd.

game doesn't need a remaster, it has a huge number of mods available already on PC and a healthy community that supports them.

Who knows how much improved it will be over the original console versions but I'd guess that most console owners don't have gaming PC's so your comment isn't worth much.

RexNovis

Banned
I maintain that Skyrim is one of the most overhyped games ever made and was actually terrible on release. Hopefully mods can change that for this remaster.

Bl@de

Morrowind's engine has no Occlusion Culling or any semblance of Binary Space Partitioning. This necessitates the five-feet-in-front-of-your-face fog, as the engine is literally rendering EVERYTHING within (and beyond) that fog distance without ANY BSP logic telling it to not render what the player can't see. The only closest thing is the Cells system, but that's for memory management, not rendering

Yes, that's right. Morrowind's engine is absent of a rendering technique that was revolutionized in Doom almost a decade before. That's like Unity's lack of High Dynamic Range - Except worse since this is a MAJOR performance killer instead of "muh graphics" moaning.

That is the SINGLE biggest performance killer in Morrowind, especially if you use a mod that increases view distance, as it will render LITERALLY EVERYTHING within the player's view distance radius, all three hundred and sixty degrees around, with NOTHING un-rendered. This shit kicks the ass of even the most powerful PCs to this day. You'd need the Avatar rendering farm to run it at a solid framerate with a high view distance.

Also - Some parts of the engine make use of a pre-X86 instruction set and a handful of long since deprecated X86 instructions. This wasn't an issue back in 2002 - Pentium 4 and other processors still supported them natively. Modern processors can still run them, but anything newer than Pentium D has to emulate these instructions, which is yet another drain on performance, even if minor.

Those engine issues alone are the biggest barriers to a Morrowind remaster. The gaming mainstream would TRASH it if it still had that damned fog - And to get rid of that fog would require serious heavy lifting beyond the scope of pretty much every remaster.

...Also if the combat is to remain intact, it's absolutely mandatory that they would program an animation system in akin to KOTOR's that SHOWS every single dodge and parry in detail instead of what it looks like now - Otherwise the mainstream would absolutely MOCK the game AGAIN* over the combat being two people standing in place wildly waving their swords at eachother back and forth at point blank CLEARLY hitting eachother, but arbitrarily missing because the game said so.

*(You want to know why Oblivion got rid of dice-roll combat? Because Morrowind's flaccid combat became one of the biggest memes of the gaming world back then and to this very day in mockery of Bethesda. That's not something to be proud of. So they took the easy route and just simply gutted RNG for the sequel)

I think it looks great. But yes it's a pretty big project

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PewuaPKnhnc

SpartanN92

Banned
What? You have to be kidding? Even with mod support a good number of the best mods won't be available without support for the script extender! This game doesn't need a remaster, it has a huge number of mods available already on PC and a healthy community that supports them.

Not everyone has a gaming PC though... Some people just simply prefer consoles/can't afford a gaming PC/Don't want to deal with it.

I fall into the latter. I have a great gaming PC but it's such a hassle to deal with at times. I really prefer the simple plug and play Xbox format. I'd love a prettier version on XB1/PS4

ezekial45

Banned

Damn, thanks for this. Very interesting stuff. The closest we'll ever get to a full Morrowind remaster is Skywind, which looks great BTW.

Who knows how much improved it will be over the original console versions but I'd guess that most console owners don't have gaming PC's so your comment isn't worth much.

How many copies has it sold on Steam? Like 10+ million? I suspect a good number of console owners have played the PC version. Maybe they've ported the game to the Fallout 4 version of their engine and redone all of the assets, but at that point it starts to sound like a lot of money for a remaster.

Also, in Skywind, therein lies the rub from the word "Sky".

If you preferred Morrowind for it being a "Real" RPG...

Skywind isn't going to be that. It's still based off of Skyrim's gameplay, with some adjustments here and there. There's still going to be the same 18 skill cap as Skyrim, no real class system, no attributes, and same system of perks. It is very much a port of Morrowind's world and quests to Skyrim's gameplay, with all the changes that would require.

Also - The only functioning Attributes mod that doesn't break several questlines due to accidentally using variables that the game already was using for some quests functions more like Galsiah's Character Development than vanilla Morrowind... Which... At the end of the day, Skyrim's vanilla progression system already basically IS Galsiah's progression system with some additions, soooo....

ezekial45

Banned
Also, in Skywind, therein lies the rub from the word "Sky".

If you preferred Morrowind for it being a "Real" RPG...

Skywind isn't going to be that. It's still based off of Skyrim's gameplay, with some adjustments here and there. There's still going to be the same 18 skill cap as Skyrim, no real class system, no attributes, and same system of perks. It is very much a port of Morrowind's world and quests to Skyrim's gameplay, with all the changes that would require.

Oh I know. I'm well aware of the differences between the two games. But yeah, for better or worse, Skywind is the only option for a Morrowind remaster.

Spman2099

And yet it is the only one really worth doing. It is a great game with a lot of depth, but it looked bad when it launched and all the mods in the world can't make it bearable to look at now.

An absolute pass on a Skyrim remaster.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
If it does release I'll probably just spend 100 hours on it on PS4.

Since Bethesda is really good at keeping their release dates and announcements close together I know what I'm going to be playing this autumn.

And yet it is the only one really worth doing. It is a great game with a lot of depth, but it looked bad when it launched and all the mods in the world can't make it bearable to look at now.

An absolute pass on a Skyrim remaster.

Except this is literally NOT a graphics problem. The NetImmerse engine is an absolute DUMPSTER FIRE that runs like GARBAGE on modern hardware that could otherwise run Skyrim at 60FPS on Ultra - With an ENB on top.

But yeah, I agree. They shouldn't bother with that 'game' made for filthy casuals.

They should focus on remastering a real game for real gamers like Daggerfall.

/s

Schnozberry

I'm a little surprised at this given how CDPR pretty much embarrassed them at their own game with The Witcher 3. I'm sure people will lap it up and that's justification enough for a remaster but I can't imagine replaying it unless the combat mechanics have been reimagined.

So you can enjoy it the way you should have been able to with the PS3 version?

I'm still salty about Skyrim PS3, in case anyone couldn't tell.

I platinumed the PS3 version before it was patched (not that the patch even did much). I feel your pain. But it's been long enough. I want to go back but this time in a version of the game where it doesn't go to 1FPS every 20 minutes after you're 30+ hours into the game.

Parfait

Will it have a third person camera like Witcher 3? If not, no thanks, no real reason to double dip like this.

It will be nice for those who never got in before, though.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I'm a little surprised at this given how CDPR pretty much embarrassed them at their own game with The Witcher 3. I'm sure people will lap it up and that's justification enough for a remaster but I can't imagine replaying it unless the combat mechanics have been reimagined.

Nah. CDPR were huge Skyrim fans. Without Skyrim, Wild Hunt would not exist in its current form.

That said, the games play nothing alike. They both scratch very different itches.

Not everything has to be one or the other.

You don't have to like A Song of Ice and Fire better or worse than Lord of the Rings. You can like them equally. And for different reasons.

ramparter

Banned

Good post but a game so old like Morrison's wouldn't et a remaster, it would be remade in Skyrim or Fallout 3 engine. And yes that would still require a huge effort and man hours.Almost as much as making a new game.

Schnozberry

Nah. CDPR were huge Skyrim fans. Without Skyrim, Wild Hunt would not exist in its current form.

That said, the games play nothing alike. They both scratch very different itches.

Not everything has to be one or the other.

You don't have to like A Song of Ice and Fire better or worse than Lord of the Rings. You can like them equally. And for different reasons.

I was a huge Skyrim fan too. I just think The Witcher 3 did just about everything better. Combat, Story, Characters, World Building, all of it. I personally don't have an itch that Skyrim can scratch at this point. Other people can feel free to get hyped. Different strokes and all that.

Drazgul

I would do anything for a remaster of Fallout New Vegas

Go for the next best thing.

A 970 runs Skyrim at 4K Ultra settings at an average of 60fps.

Now try it with some decent ENB like Rampage, DynDOLOD at high, a couple of lighting mods, proper texture/mesh replacers rather than the trash Bethesda put out, sprinkle with a few script-intensive mods and see if it's still at 60 FPS.
It won't be.

The so-called ultra settings in Skyrim are anything but, it'll still look like crap.

I was a huge Skyrim fan too. I just think The Witcher 3 did just about everything better. Combat, Story, Characters, World Building, all of it. I personally don't have an itch that Skyrim can scratch at this point. Other people can feel free to get hyped. Different strokes and all that.

There's agency and roleplaying to consider.

What's with all the grass in the Nevada desert?

009291_10_10_2011_mojave_desert_california_joshua_tree_cactus_bush_grass_red_rock_formation_sand_dunes_keslo_depot_scenic_panoramic_landscape_photography_panorama_landschaft_34_11450x4706.jpg

Goodsprings_Nevada_1.jpg

yeah i know, it's brush, next best thing tho

Branson

I'm not familiar with the PC version not getting updates... It's been a long time since I played Skyrim, I vaguely remember them adding kill cams to Bow/Magic and maybe Hourse combat? Is this what you are talking about or are you talking performance updates/bug fixes?

I meant when remasters come out and they dont update the pc version with the visual updates. Like the recent Batman remasters.

Top Bottom