• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[RUMOR] Nintendo x Jump x Smash Bros x NDS

neo2046

Today there is a rumor that is about
Nintendo and Shueisha will co-operate together to develop a Smash Bros type game for NDS
by using Shueisha's licenced character
(Shueisha is the publisher of magazine Weekly Jump, V Jump etc
that means one piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball, hunter x Hunter etc)

and what IPs does Shueisha have?

if this is true, well, im against it. i don't like the idea of any non Nintendo characters in my Nintendo games that stress the rich heritage. unless it's namco or Technos characters. even then, i'd rather them not do anything like that anyways.

they still have plenty of characters to go around so that they don't have to use anyone elses. shit, im still butt hurt about Mac not being in the game. not to mention not one fuckin reference to Punch Out!

Yesterday a hobo told me that Xlink on NDS means Microsoft and Nintendo had sex witha donkey. GO FIGURE!

But, I'll be serious before some awesome mocking continues. I feel SSBDS is a given sometime down the line, maybe, and god is this just one of those "dreams" people of the system fathom, they're waiting until they think up an online plan to really work on.

Personally, I would rather go with the hobo with my $50.

miyuru

Johnny Nighttrain said:

if this is true, well, im against it. i don't like the idea of any non Nintendo characters in my Nintendo games that stress the rich heritage. unless it's namco or Technos characters. even then, i'd rather them not do anything like that anyways.

they still have plenty of characters to go around so that they don't have to use anyone elses. shit, im still butt hurt about Mac not being in the game. not to mention not one fuckin reference to Punch Out!

The rumour is that it would a Smash Bros type, implying no Nintendo characters would be involved. It'd be a game with same kind of gameplay in SSB, but with other franchises.

well, in that case, let them do whatever the fuck they want, and let's get excited since we can only expect awesome madness from this.l

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
miyuru said:
The rumour is that it would a Smash Bros type, implying no Nintendo characters would be involved. It'd be a game with same kind of gameplay in SSB, but with other franchises.

Onimusha Blade Warriors style, eh.

Anybody got some pictures of what these Shueisha characters look like? I've never heard of it before.

snapty00

Banned
I can see it now. You click on a Shueisha character, and the announcer says, "Mario!" You click on another, and the announce says, "Peach!" And you notice that all the voices sound suspiciously the same as those in Super Smash Bros. And you notice that the controls are exactly the same. And the intro sequence is the same except it has Shueisha's faces pasted in using Photoshop.

ferricide

Johnny Nighttrain said:

neo2046 said:
(Shueisha is the publisher of magazine Weekly Jump, V Jump etc
that means one piece, Naruto, Dragon Ball, hunter x Hunter etc)
these are huge manga licenses in japan. jump is so popular it's sick. hell, shonen jump is pretty popular here these days; it's the best selling periodical comic in the US.

http://www.shonenjump.com/

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
ferricide said:
these are huge manga licenses in japan. jump is so popular it's sick. hell, shonen jump is pretty popular here these days; it's the best selling periodical comic in the US.

http://www.shonenjump.com/

Oh, I gotcha now. I even have a subscription to Shonen Jump,. :p

I guess this is a big deal afterall if it turns out to be true. I know people that would kill for a One Piece / Naruto game that played like Super Smash Bros.

miyuru said:

Well now I feel like a douche. Thanks. To think I would have thought I'd get away with skimming tonight before heading off to bed..

human5892

Queen of Denmark
snapty00 said:
I can see it now. You click on a Shueisha character, and the announcer says, "Mario!" You click on another, and the announce says, "Peach!" And you notice that all the voices sound suspiciously the same as those in Super Smash Bros. And you notice that the controls are exactly the same. And the intro sequence is the same except it has Shueisha's faces pasted in using Photoshop.
Hahaha.

Bandai already has the license to make Naruto games and those two series (on PS2 and GC) are wildly successful. I doubt that they would agree with someone else making party style brawlers including their precious characters.

neo2046

SiegfriedFM said:
Bandai already has the license to make Naruto games and those two series (on PS2 and GC) are wildly successful. I doubt that they would agree with someone else making party style brawlers including their precious characters.
no, PS2 Naruto games are from Bandai
GC and GBA Naruto games are from TOMY
and they both get the licence from Shueisha

olimario

Banned
SiegfriedFM said:

neo2046 said:

:)
I <3 Neo

DrDogg

neo2046 said:

And Tomy already has a DS game in the works for Naruto.

Personally, I don't want Smash for DS. I want an online Smash for Revolution with 50+ characters, all with different fighting styles. Unless I can hook my DS up to my GCN/Revolution for some big screen action, I could care less about a portable Smash, online or not.

Meier

Oh my god this would be HUGE! Talk about a killer app for the Japanese market. For the unaware, Shonen Jump has a weekly circulation of OVER 3 MILLION in Japan.

Memles

G4life98 said:
that would be awesome and they have to have the nintendo characters in there too.

Why? Seems to me that it might be better to make the game featuring the Jump characters, sell all sorts of copies of it, and then make a Smash Bros. for the system later that would sell even more copies.

G4life98

Memles said:
Why? Seems to me that it might be better to make the game featuring the Jump characters, sell all sorts of copies of it, and then make a Smash Bros. for the system later that would sell even more copies.

with nintendo characters and the super smash bro name it will definately get localized for the U.S.A and that would be good for all.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
A Jump character fighter like this would be GIGANTIC in Japan.

*can't wait to have Sanji beat the ever-living bejeezus out of Sasuke*

Meier

G4life98 said:
with nintendo characters and the super smash bro name it will definately get localized for the U.S.A and that would be good for all.

Considering how popular Shaman King, Dragon Ball Z, Yu Yu Hakusho, One Piece, etc. are in the US already, this game would most assuredly be released here in the US.

I've always had doubts about the feasibility of a "Smash Bros. Advance" due to lack of analog, and it's not something the DS really fixes unless one were to use the touch screen as a thumbpad... but as this rumor only indicates it's a Smash Bros type game, I guess they mean just so far as being a goofy platform/fighter mish-mash crossover love-fest, which could surely work with other control setups.

GDGF

Soothsayer
I think this would be a great idea. With Nintendo handling the dev side of things, it would be a killer game, and we know it would sell well. Hopefully this is true.

neo2046

The game should be called "Jump Super Stars"

img20041004204239.jpg

and Naruto will be included in the game
http://sylphys.ddo.jp/upld2nd/manani/img-box/img20041004230158.jpg

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Wait, it's real? That's going to be a huge seller!

Any more details? Like who exactly is developing it for example.

jarrod

Banned
Mama Smurf said:
HAL I'd guess... I wouldn't mind if Nintendo mixed in their own IPs though, it'd be the biggest crossover game ever.

olimario

Banned
This is huge.
I hope theres a Smash 3 for the Revolution launch with all of these characters included.
THAT would be big news.

neo2046

Jason said:
^^^ do you think you could translate that page of manga?
no sorry...
Mama Smurf said:
the game should be developed by SBM team
Coen said:
Wow, so this is real? Is it the supposed name, or are you just suggesting it?
"Jump Super Stars" is printed at the first pic (This week's Weekly Jump cover page )

no screen shots yet, but it seems One piece and Dragon Ball will be included

So is this what HAL has been working on? I've been wonderin what they've been up to. Last game they released was Kirby's Airride, no?

CrisKre

This news is cool. I was thinking SSB rendition on DS would be a port, and now obviosly this sugests we will get our Smash dose with sth new to it.

DS +1
Hal +1

BTW: Wireless multiplayer DS madness will be all kinds of fun.

Top Bottom