• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Sony Xperia Premium will first phone with 4k display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Why are they makingfor 4k on a 5" inch screen where you can't even see the difference from a 720p screen? How about they spend R&D on battery life?
Nah not really. Difference from 720p to 1080p and 1440p is pretty noticeable

Zoned

Actively hates charity
Why are they makingfor 4k on a 5" inch screen where you can't even see the difference from a 720p screen? How about they spend R&D on battery life?

You have no idea about what you are even talking about. There is a clear noticeable difference from 720p to 1080p to 1440p.

Futureman

Sony is releasing a 4.6" phone? That's just about the perfect size. It feels like 95% of Android phones are 5"+.

also seems odd there isn't a 4K phone already.

vivftp

Sony is releasing a 4.6" phone? That's just about the perfect size. It feels like 95% of Android phones are 5"+.

also seems odd there isn't a 4K phone already.

They've been doing it for a couple of years now with the Z1 and Z3 Compact

This is the Z5??? Ugh, wtf happened to the cool leaked photos from a few months back??

Why aren't there any cool, new looking phones anymore?

Kvik

I wonder why they didn't use the 1440p screen for the base Z5, which was on Z4V. I can understand keeping production cost down, but 1080p should stay on the Compact model only, IMO.

Regardless, I'll probably grumble all the way to the shop if I had to shell out for the Premium model.

With everyone ditching phone subsidies, buying it off contract from Sony or Amazon isn't a big deal.

i'm on att, the last carrier to not throw away the subsidy model (surprisingly). if I'm buying a phone off-contract, it's going to be a $300-400 Moto/Nexus. No way am I paying $700 for a phone I'd likely only use for two years.

vivftp

Oooh, interesting. The OP indicates a 0.3 second autofocus, but in the video the Sony marketing director says 0.03 seconds. If it's that quick, then DAMN!

vivftp

Ok, but, 1440p to 2160p; will you see a difference there on a screen of this size? I'm genuinely asking.

Probably not in most applications. Maybe a bit in reading, or seeing additional detail in photos.

There's also the overall quality of the display to consider... contrast, brightness, viewing angles, colour accuracy... all that jazz. Hoping it'll be a very high quality display overall. Funny enough, I compared my Xperia Z Ultras screen to a friends Galaxy S6 Edge, and my Ultra easily kicked the Edge's ass in brightness and viewing angles, despite being a couple of years older and a lower resolution.

Displays going higher resolution is going to happen in the industry no matter what, and someone has to be first. We'll have to wait and see what type of performance hit the phone takes, but from a marketing perspective it's something for Sony to use to try and push sales. We can hardly fault them for that.

Nah not really. Difference from 720p to 1080p and 1440p is pretty noticeable

subHD to 720p--huge difference

720p to 1080p--noticeable difference

1080p to 1440p--nearly unnoticeable difference

1440p to ???---stupid.

people argue that higher res screens mean lower battery life, but then people counter that higher res screens can also be more power efficient, but that's also ignoring the fact that the SoC now has to push more pixels. As a result, it consumes more power and it performs lower than if it was paired with a lower res screen.

1440p value proposition is arguable, anything more is not worth it.

vivftp

1440p to ???---stupid.

people argue that higher res screens mean lower battery life, but then people counter that higher res screens can also be more power efficient, but that's also ignoring the fact that the SoC now has to push more pixels. As a result, it consumes more power and it performs lower than if it was paired with a lower res screen.

Actually the rumours state the phone will only push 4K pixels at the screen when viewing photos and videos. In all other instances the GPU will push less pixels. I'm guessing it's something like the GPU treating every 4 actual pixels as 1, so effectively it'll work just as hard as it would on a 1080p screen

1440p to ???---stupid.

4K would be useful when I use my google cardboard.

CronoShot

Wait, what SoC is this thing supposed to have?

I mean, the 810 overheats on 1080p phones. The Z5P will destroy us all with its heat output if that's what they're using.

Maximus.

Why do these phone makers keep the phone looking the same? HTC, Sony and Samsung seem notorious for this with "major" releases.

Furyous

Bring on the PPI. I'd much rather they added 1080p to the Z5C than 4K to the Z5. At a premium price I expect an IR blaster, removable battery, microsd, and that new vanilla version of Android Sony was working on.

Why do these phone makers keep the phone looking the same? HTC, Sony and Samsung seem notorious for this with "major" releases.

I'd rather manufacturers perfect one design (like having flapless waterproof ports) than throw the entire thing out the window just for the sake of vanity, personally.

Radec

Wow, they finally designed flapless waterproof charging port. First was the 3.5mm jack.

Took them 3 years tho.

RiverBed

Banned
Although I am not currently using one, I rather start the change twards USB-C. Needing a flap cover port is not an issue for me since I've been using an original Xperia since it launched and it has a cover over the charger port. Having to choose between a flap-less port and a USB-C port with a flap, I'd go with the latter.
I like they are keeping with the water proof feature. I think other brands have dropped it.

What's the CPU/GPU stats? Does Sony have a 8-core model? Samsung is sporting one, and although it is certainly an over kill for my use, it is a marketing bullet feature the competition has checked out.

I also hope internal storage is big. Phones need to have a large internal storage in addition to a removable memory card just in case. I and everyone I know exclusively use the internal storage.

Fezan

Although I am not currently using one, I rather start the change twards USB-C. Needing a flap cover port is not an issue for me since I've been using an original Xperia since it launched and it has a cover over the charger port. Having to choose between a flap-less port and a USB-C port with a flap, I'd go with the latter.
I like they are keeping with the water proof feature. I think other brands have dropped it.

What's the CPU/GPU stats? Does Sony have a 8-core model? Samsung is sporting one, and although it is certainly an over kill for my use, it is a marketing bullet feature the competition has checked out.

I also hope internal storage is big. Phones need to have a large internal storage in addition to a removable memory card just in case. I and everyone I know exclusively use the internal storage.
Processor is 8core sd810 internal storage should be 32gb

Processor is 8core sd810 internal storage should be 32gb

rip this phone

Is the 810 still a tiny housefire maker or did they fix it? Also, the 810 in a compact model will be hilarious.

recent devices with it don't overheat anymore, but still perform worse than a 801 or a 808. no point to use it period because even if it did perform perfectly well and didn't overheat the stigma is so bad at this point that a lot of people are just going to ignore your phone if you have it now.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But why? 4K at 5.5" is simply overkill. Even at 1080p you have to focus damn hard to even make out individual pixels. On my N5 (4.95") I basically can't. Seems to me like 4K would just use up additional resouces and battery life for no good reason. But bullet points, I guess...

liquidtmd

Banned
SONY: Screw 4K, for your next line just strengthen your goddamn screens. The Z3 compact had major problems in this regard and you well know it. The calls logged and units returned to your centres must be huge.

I treat my Z3 Compact well and have had this problem twice. I'm under contract and on my third unit. I've owned Sony phones and loved them for five years but Christ, unless screen tech is specifically addressed and mentioned as a priority my next phone will not be Sony.

squallheart

Will it break from a foot high drop?

I'm in the market for a ~5 in. Android phone that doesn't have a shit camera or OS, and I'll probably be deciding between this and the Nexus 5 refresh, if this isn't as fragile as the last Xperia.

I dropped my z3 from the waist on the concrete and it didn't Crack. I have tempered glass shield installed as well. I love this phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom