• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor : Sony Xperia Premium will first phone with 4k display

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
And it'll have the same garbage camera software

Ain't that some shit.

As much as I enjoy Sony's phones, the software is usually garbage tier. It feels almost as overengineered and gimmicky as Huawei's.

Still, is the resolution what bothers me. While I love high res screens, they tend to utterly ruin battery performance, something that has been a Sony staple for a while. Ironically, while united in their shit software, Huawei and Sony are the only major manufacturers that keep putting smartphones that last me over two days.

rip this phone.
The new 810v2 fixed the thermal issues of the early chipsets.

Allegedly.

Will it break from a foot high drop?

I'm in the market for a ~5 in. Android phone that doesn't have a shit camera or OS, and I'll probably be deciding between this and the Nexus 5 refresh, if this isn't as fragile as the last Xperia.

I have a Z3 and its the most fragile phone have ever used. I like it as it's fast and great battery. I bloody hate it and can't wait to get rid as have spent a fortune fixing it.

Don't buy is my advise

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4

Crazy hyperbole, but Sony has made a tradition of using great sensors and crummy image processing. As a result, other flagship devices can take prettier pictures despite their lower res sensors. Sony's night performance in particular is surprisingly weak.

thelatestmodel

Junior, please.
What the...

Why!?

Finally. I could barely see my contacts list before.

Kind of a waste.

I fail to see why a phone needs a 4k display. Sounds like power will get wasted for negligible benefit.

It's for VR guys. Have you used a Samsung GearVR with the phones that are out now? The pixellation is pretty bad, 4K will help tremendously.

If they can do it and still maintain battery life, which is still the most important thing, I say go nuts.

vivftp

How about we not use screens that will go through the battery faster?

Higher resolution screens are inevitable and they'll likely keep going higher as companies push the tech envelope.

Sony normally pushes for a 2 day battery life on their phones, so maybe they'll do the same with this one.

I'm curious if they'll get the camera right for once... Sony makes great DSLRs, great camera chips but their software always sucks on the Z phones

What happens when your company is too big and fast and no arms talk to eachother.

Then they got phones and gaming to play nice for Xperia Play and you would have thought they still didn't talk to eachother.

Sometimes Apple has a point with this software/hardware argument.

subHD to 720p--huge difference

720p to 1080p--noticeable difference

1080p to 1440p--nearly unnoticeable difference

1440p to ???---stupid.

people argue that higher res screens mean lower battery life, but then people counter that higher res screens can also be more power efficient, but that's also ignoring the fact that the SoC now has to push more pixels. As a result, it consumes more power and it performs lower than if it was paired with a lower res screen.

1440p value proposition is arguable, anything more is not worth it.

A post I can agree with. It's less and less advantage the more they increase the res.

Oculus Connect needs to hurry up and get here for consumer Morpheus announcement...prayin for a 4k panel in whatever they use.

I doubt you are going to have a Morpheus announcement in the Oculus conference... and they already announced the panel is going to use for the Rift, that's not going to change now. Wait for Rift 2 if you want more.

antispin

SD card still there? I liked the ZU, so I'm game, if they can do waterproof + flapless USB slot + SD card slot. Their Stamina mode is awesome. Best SOT I ever got on an Android phone... Also, no screen lottery pls

DrFunk

not licensed in your state
Apparently, the screen is 2K but only renders pics/videos in 4K -

"Xperia Z5 Premium regarded as proven, many people worry that 4K will seriously affect the life of the screen, but this time Sony is also clever only in pictures and videos of the time will be full resolution rendering, rest of the time in accordance with 2K resolution (pending final confirmation) rendering, Of course, the 5.5-inch screen is fine enough 2K"

http://weibo.com/529466118#_rnd1438591183940

don't ask me how it works

edit: 4K but renders in 2K

Does a 5.5" screen really need 4k resolution? I mean, really, even if you have unlimited money to burn? Seems like there are a hell of a lot of things I'd improve about modern smartphones before I really saw a need for an upgrade from 1440p to 2160p on a <6" display.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
What it's saying is the screen is 4k but except for photos and videos the gpu renders everything in 2k to save battery life. It's probably grouping pixels together.

So it's upscaling. 1080p should look identical when upscaled to 4k, so there's basically no IQ loss or improvement. I guess they will be pushing the photo/video reproduction.

Fezan

It's pretty simple. 1080p is exactly 1/4 of 4k. That means that you just render at 1080p and there won't be artifacting like there is for 720 to 1080p upscaling.
Yeah pretty clever,. Market phone as first ever 4k phone yet manage processing power by upscaling

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Love my Z2. Only problem I have with it is the awful NIC, that shit is just bad. Also the thing is on fire from time to time. Other than that: great. If those things are fixed I'm happy.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
why not? :)

EDIT.

You know it's hilarious... I was just reading some threads from when the first 1080p smartphones were coming out. The various worries people spout there are identical to the ones here as far as why it's needed and about battery life.

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=499665

http://neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=491112

I guess it's natural for some people to question progress.

To this day, 720 is still great on sub 5 inch phones and 1080 is great for everything else. A lot of people actively dislike 1440 screens. I do too, unless there's a VR peripheral I could buy.

kitch9

Banned
Do we know anything about the camera, dying to ditch this piece of shit s6.

Only if the camera is decent though.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
Eh, not that interested in the 4K, but the regular Z5 seems nice so that'll probably end up being my next phone.

dat flapless water resistant USB port, how
Wow, they finally designed flapless waterproof charging port. First was the 3.5mm jack.

Took them 3 years tho.
The Galaxy S5 Mini had one too so it's not exactly new, but I'm surprised it's not more common honestly.

I thought the LG G3 was the first 4k phone?
That was 1440p.

Hopefully that selling point helps Sony bust onto the scene more outside of Japan. I want my Xperias to last! I have a Z3V and it's great.

I have a Z3 and its the most fragile phone have ever used. I like it as it's fast and great battery. I bloody hate it and can't wait to get rid as have spent a fortune fixing it.

Don't buy is my advise

I have a Z3 and it's the most perfect phone I have ever used.

Buy without hesitation!

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
Why do people always ask why when it comes to improving... anything? lol Because it's better and we can.

Symphonia

Banned
Not the phone itself, literally the quality of the pictures
They should've shown off their ultra high-resolution camera. Wasted oppurtunity, Sony, for shame. Handset does look nice though. I just hate the heavily-modified Android that Sony use on their Xperia phones.

Damaniel

Banned
I like the idea of technology moving forward as much as anyone else does, but I think we need to consider whether spending so much time bumping up the resolution of tiny screens is worth it. Any mobile GPU will be totally hamstrung trying to display 3D graphics on a 4K screen, and 99.9% of users wouldn't be able to tell the difference between 1080p and 4k content on a 5 inch screen anyway (if the phone could even decode and display 4K content to begin with). Considering that screens are the biggest source of battery drain on your average phone, trying to push that many pixels will only make battery issues worse.

Things I want in my next mobile device:
- Faster CPU
- Faster GPU
- More RAM
- More storage
- LONGER BATTERY LIFE!

Things I don't need in my next mobile device:
- A screen with a higher resolution than the monitors on my desktop

Fezan

They should've shown off their ultra high-resolution camera. Wasted oppurtunity, Sony, for shame. Handset does look nice though. I just hate the heavily-modified Android that Sony use on their Xperia phones.
Sony has cleanest android skin. It just stock android with Sony apps baked into it and changed icons

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Sony has cleanest android skin. It just stock android with Sony apps baked into it and changed icons

Bizarrely enough, I remember loads of Sony loyalists bitching and crying about how they'd drop the brand if Sony ceased to plaster its old, ugly ass widgets and software all over their phones. "If I wanted a Nexus I'd buy one", they screamed.

Sony just can't fucking win with some people.

Edit: From the leaks, the camera app is still garbage-tier. Jesus.

liquidtmd

Banned
Why do people always ask why when it comes to improving... anything? lol Because it's better and we can.

Because Sony's phone division is tanking and 4K displays isn't the focus many people on the street would say will help them coming off many people being fucked over by a weak chassis / shattered screen of the Z3 coupled with their large range of handsets in many cases cannibalising their own market

Sony's new skin that is currently in testing is a lot better. It's literally stock android with a few sony apps. Much more so than now. Google it if you haven't seen it. When that new skin is out sony phones will be more legit.

Turrican2

Exactly my thoughts. If the camera is good and the battery life is indeed 2 days - I am going to ditch that memory leak, worst battery ever, lagging mess S6 Edge in a second.

vivftp

We know it's a 23MP sensor and the size is 1/2.3". Sony are touting its focusing abilities in their teasers and according to the video with the Sony France Marketing Director, its focus is as fast as 0.03 seconds. People have been noting this is the worlds fastest on a smartphone.

It also looks like we'll finally be able to take full resolution shots while in the superior auto mode. 4K is also in there of course.

Just 2 more days to go until we find out more!

Forsete

Hot. I love my Z2. Best phone I have ever owned.

Unlike my other smartphones (3GS, Galaxy Nexus, HTC One) it hasn't gotten slow and the battery life is amazing (even without that extended battery life function, which I don't use anyway).

Not really pumped about the 4K screen though. But if it can match the Z2s battery life I might consider it.

kitch9

Banned
We know it's a 23MP sensor and the size is 1/2.3". Sony are touting its focusing abilities in their teasers and according to the video with the Sony France Marketing Director, its focus is as fast as 0.03 seconds. People have been noting this is the worlds fastest on a smartphone.

It also looks like we'll finally be able to take full resolution shots while in the superior auto mode. 4K is also in there of course.

Just 2 more days to go until we find out more!

That's great, until it spits out pictures that constantly look like oil paintings... It blows my mind that Sony make the best small camera sensors on the market and their phones spit out shit pictures.

Exactly my thoughts. If the camera is good and the battery life is indeed 2 days - I am going to ditch that memory leak, worst battery ever, lagging mess S6 Edge in a second.

Can't argue with that. 2.5 hours SOT and this piece of shit takes about 8 seconds to open Swiftkey when I want to type and is moaning for the charger after being away from it for 8 hours.

Nothing showing in battery monitor gives me any indication why. The camera is its saving grace at the minute for me.

I really don't understand the constant push for phone tech. It's just a phone.

The "phone" is probably one of the least used features for your average phone.

Radec

I was hoping they used this kind of screen design on the Z5 Premium as well. :/

Xperia-C5-Ultra-Press_8-640x434.jpg
Xperia-C5-Ultra-Press_7-640x434.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom