• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumour : Ready at dawn had plans for a The Order 1886 sequel pre Meta acquisition

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member

It's from our favorite bullshitter so take everything with a whole mine of salt...

IMO, the order had amazing potential and a sequel could have easily fixed all of its problems, one of the most memorable games of the previous generation, the whole steampunk, knights of the round thing sprinkled with vampires and werewolves lore was just chef's kiss.jpg.

Fucking Sony man, this and Days Gone got fookin' robbed...

Last edited:

nowhat

First game was really solid, some dodgy boss encounters but it was stunning looking and a sequel could have been incredible.
The game was supposed to be about fighting werewolves in Victorian England. Encounters with said werewolves (or "lycans" if you will) are rare and consist of: a) waiting for the werewolf to appear from some direction and start running towards you, b) dodge them with a QTE, c) shoot them in the back as they retreat to the same direction they came from. Absolutely riveting gameplay.

Of course there's also the big werewolf boss. Just pure QTEs. So much fun that you get to do it twice. The game was a looker for sure, but the gameplay, especially when it comes to the werewolves, ehh.

Bloobs

Al Pachinko, Konami President
No Way GIF

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
First game was really solid, some dodgy boss encounters but it was stunning looking and a sequel could have been incredible.

Real shame what happened to this studio.
Ken, the problem wasn't that it had dodgy, QTE ridden boss encounters, it was super short, it had very few battle scenarios, it had zero replay value, it lacked a coop mode and all of this for...60 big ones.
I personally loved it but...I only rented it for 2 days, finished it and took it back, had I spent $60 for it though I would most probably have a different opinion now.
Shame really 'cause the combat - the very little that there was - was actually good - the weapons all had some amazing "oomph" due the amazing vibration, animations and sound feedback.

G'damn man, a sequel could have easily fixed all of the above just by removing the brain dead QTE sections, adding 4-5 hours of gameplay and adding some sort of horde mode and - hey presto - there's another multi-million seller...

It's a frigging shame is what it is, instead, we got another bloated God of MCU ...Sony can be incredibly shortsighted...

Ozzie666

The game was good enough for another try, some talented developers there. It would have been nice to see what lessons they had learn to improve their next attempt.

Great world they created though.

Kenneth Haight

Gold Member
The game was supposed to be about fighting werewolves in Victorian England. Encounters with said werewolves (or "lycans" if you will) are rare and consist of: a) waiting for the werewolf to appear from some direction and start running towards you, b) dodge them with a QTE, c) shoot them in the back as they retreat to the same direction they came from. Absolutely riveting gameplay.

Of course there's also the big werewolf boss. Just pure QTEs. So much fun that you get to do it twice. The game was a looker for sure, but the gameplay, especially when it comes to the werewolves, ehh.
Ken, the problem wasn't that it had dodgy, QTE ridden boss encounters, it was super short, it had very few battle scenarios, it had zero replay value, it lacked a coop mode and all of this for...60 big ones.
I personally loved it but...I only rented it for 2 days, finished it and took it back, had I spent $60 for it though I would most probably have a different opinion now.
Shame really 'cause the combat - the very little that there was - was actually good - the weapons all had some amazing "oomph" due the amazing vibration, animations and sound feedback.

G'damn man, a sequel could have easily fixed all of the above just by removing the brain dead QTE sections, adding 4-5 hours of gameplay and adding some sort of horde mode and - hey presto - there's another multi-million seller...

It's a frigging shame is what it is, instead, we got another bloated God of MCU ...Sony can be incredibly shortsighted...
Agree with you both. Those QTE events were painful and it was very short.

The weapons were awesome though especially that lightning gun.

The universe and atmosphere was the most interesting part and it was a very cool concept.

Fess

I liked The Order, haven’t played it since the release so don’t know how it has aged but at the time it was a solid 8.

Are the people who made it still there? Somebody should pick up the art director and the whole graphics team. Some of the best work by a western studio.

N1tr0sOx1d3

Given another chance
Ready at Dawn was one of my favourite developers with a strong heritage. It’s a damn shame they didn’t get another opportunity with Sony. Sony as said above can be so shortsighted. Evolution again deserved another shot. So much lost potential……

Fahdis

Order got hit by rabid opposition fanboys (much like with Hellblade 2 these days), gaming journalists who have no idea what else to do besides dye their hair and finally horrible marketing and pricing by the idiot publishers.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
I always said they should jump to WW2

The occult conspiracies around the Nazis is already prime material, Nikola Tesla would fit right in and then you have Alan Turing. I just feel like this game exist somewhere I just don't know where

Jumping straight to WW2...no, that would be a huge time jump, plus, there's still many things unresolved from the 1st game.

WW2 could actually work as a 3rd or even 4th game in the series (why not a WW1 before that?) - and this is the thing , there's SO MUCH potential with this franchise that it's not even funny, and while things might not be the most original in the world, it'd be the presentation and characters that would do the heavy lifting- pretty much like the 1st game...
Besides, aren't the knights/ characters super soldiers/almost immortal due to the black goo ( can't really remember the specifics right now) justifying any kind of continuation between sequels ?

Fuuuuck, all this talk has got me in the mood of experiencing the original game again, shame then that I have a fookin OLED and the 30fps judder makes impossible for me to play it 😢

That really sucks. I can understand there might be some risk aversion tied to continuing The order as a franchise and an established IP. But, at the same time, they managed to dim the potential it had before it even got the ball rolling.

Its ridiculous that these high budget games must be a huge success straight out of the gate or else the idea gets discarded no questions asked. That's a self-destructive way of handling your creative business. If the sequel seriously had potential to improve upon its foundation in every area then its a missed opportunity.

makaveli60

I loved this game. I know it was far from perfect but it was treated really unfairly by both fanboys and “journalists”, effectively killing the franchise and eventually the studio. A real shame, as the sequel would have definitely improved a lot. And the visuals still shit on most of modern games.

Aenima

The 1st game ends in a cliffhanger, so ofc they had a sequel in mind. The low scores are totally fair for the Order. The game barelly has any gameplay, it has QTE that you need to nail or get a game over to try them again, and its a short game (6-8h) with zero replay value.
It was super impressive in a technical level, and the setting was cool. The few gameplay moments the game had also felt nice. So yeah a 6/10 is pretty fair for what The Order is.

Last edited:

Kupfer

I love how everyone is glossing over their next game after The Order 1886

Is it normal for a launch trailer that comments are deactivated?

The 1st game ends in a cliffhanger, so ofc they had a sequel in mind. The low scores are totally fair for the Order. The game barelly has any gameplay, it has QTE that you need to nail or get a game over to try them again, and its a short game (6-8h) with zero replay value.
It was super impressive in a technical level, and the setting was cool. The few gameplay moments the game had also felt nice. So yeah a 6/10 is pretty fair for what The Order is.
Bursting someone with the lightning gun felt strangely satisfying

Last edited:

Bernardougf

The 1st game had a great concept, characters and settings, great gun ideas also, I would have preferred less supernatural elements and more grounded... If a sequel expanded the universe for a bigger and better game could have launched a Gears type franchise ... dont know if they had this ideal sequel in them though and mayve the 1st game was their peak creative talent/ideas.

Last edited:

PeteBull

It had more gameplay from terrible hellblade 2, and yet that turd got good reviews from same outlets:
11 perfect scores of 100 and 29 with scores 90-98
Even infamous DF had to damage control/gaslight ppl and why they hypocritically praised h2 but before criticized the order 1886.

Edit:
When user score is higher from review score u know something fishy happened, its almost never the case

Last edited:

Majormaxxx

Perfectly explained.

I feel like they had a deadline and rushed it.

Three

Gold Member
I agree that it's a fair score personally, but it's worth mentioning that the QTEs were a small part of the game though an important one (bosses). I've also seen shorter games with less gameplay get better scores. At the time when it released there was this weird notion of needing "next gen gameplay" and the mostly cover shooter gameplay was just overlooked as doing "nothing new". I think Crackdown 3 hype machine was melting peoples brains or something. Not many games did anything new though and got better scores.

Last edited:
It's a conflicting game for me. I enjoyed my time with it but the mechanics were poor and the game short. However it looked lovely, it actually had a cool narrative and was a somewhat original and fresh IP. I miss having stuff like that.

hemo memo

You can't die before your death
Does people have dementia or something? The Order was a glorified movie masquerading as a game, where gorgeous graphics are wasted on a bland, uninspired narrative and tedious gameplay. It’s a short, linear slog that feels like paying full price to watch someone else play a mediocre game.

Kupfer

Does people have dementia or something? The Order was a glorified movie masquerading as a game, where gorgeous graphics are wasted on a bland, uninspired narrative and tedious gameplay. It’s a short, linear slog that feels like paying full price to watch someone else play a mediocre game.
And what if ... people like this kind of experience?

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
This is absolute horseshit, at least the way they are framing it. The Order was planned as a series obviously and they had "plans" for more games but Sony wasn't going forward with the series.

RaD moved on from that and made Lone Echo and Echo Area, before Meta ever acquired them. That acquisition didn't happen until they were deep into developing Lone Echo 2, which would have been years past The Order.

nial

Loved The Order, and it's a real shame we don't get to see a sequel

Thanks, game journalists who slammed the game with low scores. You suck
What about the people that did not buy it? Knack, even with a 54 Metacritic (this is the actual bullshit one, let's be honest), managed to get a sequel, because it was successful!

Spyxos

Gold Member
Not exactly a game where I would have needed another part. Apart from the beautiful visuals, the first part had nothing to offer. And I never managed to play it through, even though it's quite short and I tried it several times.

Denton

The IP deserves another chance, just make it bigger and more RPGish instead of completely linear shooter with copypaste QTE bosses.

The victorian setting was just stellar and held so much potential. Liked the characters too. And graphically it is still a masterpiece and will always be.

I would buy PC port.

Top Bottom