• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta shuts down developer Ready at Dawn (Lone Echo, The Order 1886, GoW Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta, Daxter)

sad oh no GIF by Boomerang Official

nowhat

Exactly! People are slowly starting to realize just how bad Sony has been this gen compared to last as far as single player games goes. As more and more gaas failures come and go and we wait and wait for first party games.
But The Order was never first-party? There have been plenty of third-party exclusives this gen. This year, even.

I loved their GOW games, but The Order just didnt click for me despite the mind blowing graphics. The lack of skippable cutscenes ruined replay value, and the constant walking sections just made it feel like a walking simulator like hellblade even though it actually has a lot more combat sequences with some fairly decent mechanics.

I think they went too far with the filmic approach which is probably why sony ditched them. Their GOW games were a perfect blend of cinematics and action. This felt like 70% walking cinematics and 30% action when it shouldve been the other way around. unhcarted 1, Uncharted 3, most CoD campaigns are all 7-8 hours long but they didnt feel this walky and talky.

I still think sony shouldve given them another shot. one mistake shouldnt define a studio. But i honestly dont know why they sold themselves to meta instead. I guess the money was good.
Yep. You just don't go full cinematic.

they were going to put everything into the gameplay experience next
This killed them. They should have focused on gameplay first.

Last edited:

Killer8

Lack of multiplayer in The Order buried them. In retrospect the short length isn't even an issue - it was no shorter than a typical COD campaign. But good luck trying to sell that to people for $60 with nothing to fall back on.

Thick Thighs Save Lives

NeoGAF's Physical Games Advocate Extraordinaire

Edit: This is new info afaik. Makes it sting even more for fans of The Order I imagine.

Man, this news really sucks. I loved The Order 1886, and Ready At Dawn legit deserved another chance with a sequel, especially since they had a great track record with all the God of War PSP titles prior to releasing The Order 1886...

I'll never forgive the Sony execs who decided not to pursue another collaboration with them.

That being said, hopefully all the affected devs will land on their feet.

nial

Exactly! People are slowly starting to realize just how bad Sony has been this gen compared to last as far as single player games goes. As more and more gaas failures come and go and we wait and wait for first party games.
But The Order was never first-party? There have been plenty of third-party exclusives this gen. This year, even.
I mean, if you think The Order 1886 is first-party (which is correct), then Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are too.
Also, why are we bringing up Sony here? They stopped collaborating with Ready at Dawn almost a decade ago, literally nothing to do here.

sncvsrtoip

Enjoyed The Order more than Hellblade 2, imo Sony should bought it before meta and force them to focus in next title more on gameplay.

Haint

My suspicion is they lost most or all of their Lone Echo/Arena talent and the new hires bled money on some likely bad Quest game for several years with nothing to show for it.

Last edited:

jcorb

Jesus christ...

Did the entire gaming industry just decide, hey, let's collectively all implode in the month of August 2024?

simpatico

Founders are day drinking on a yacht somewhere and haven't even looked at a video game since selling the company. Sucks for the people who stayed though.

yurinka

It's a shame. I'd have loved to see them working for Sony again. Loved all the stuff they did for Sony, it was one of my favorite studios of the ones who back then were working for Sony.

Even The Order, which had some flaws but in many areas was top tier and I think they'd have fixed the issues in a sequel that I think we'll never see due to maybe sales and reviews.

Maybe it isn't a good moment for Sony to create a new studio for them, since they are already starting multiple new studios and recently acquired several of them to the point that they are taking a break of acquisitions to complete the payments related to recent acquisitions.

So I think maybe Sony's studios in California (ND, SSM, San Diego, Creative/Visual Arts, the new ex-Deviation devs studio, etc..) could hire at least some of the remaining key talent there.

Last edited:

yurinka

But The Order was never first-party?
The Order was first party because it was published by the platform holder.

The lead dev studio wasn't owned by Sony, which means that in addition to being first party it was also 2nd party.

But not third party, because 3rd party games are those not published by the platform holder.

I mean, if you think The Order 1886 is first-party (which is correct), then Rise of the Ronin and Stellar Blade are too.
Ronin and Stellar Blade are also first party because they also have been published by the platform holder.

Last edited:

Rat Rage

Adios the hope of The Order 1886 Part II and its fantastic lore and universe...

...said no one ever, lolmao! The Order 1886 was one of the worst games ever created. The audacity both Ready at Dawn and their mangement had to really think such a non-game (all fancy presentation with literally NO substance) would resonate with gamers was unbelievable. I think many people didn't even consider them to be an actual game developer, but rather just a bunch of graphics and cutscene artists.

Honestly, the studio was already dead as soon as they released that pseudo-game.

Nothing of value has been lost. Back in the day, I was actually proud of my fellow gamers out there that they didn't eat that shit up. If anything, it proved, even the casualest of the casual gamers, had more sense than that.

So, in order to celeberate this joyful occasion. I present you the legendary "interview with a "Ready at Dawn" developer", which made all the headlines back in the day.

Enjoy!

Last edited:

Fabieter

I liked the order alot. The could have Uncharted 2 a potential sequel and it would have been a masterpiece.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
...said no one ever, lolmao! The Order 1886 was one of the worst games ever created. The audacity both Ready at Dawn and their mangement had to really think such a non-game (all fancy presentation with literally NO substance) would resonate with gamers was unbelievable. I think many people didn't even consider them to be an actual game developer, but rather just a bunch of graphics and cutscene artists.

Honestly, the studio was already dead as soon as they released that pseudo-game.

Nothing of value has been lost. Back in the day, I was actually proud of my fellow gamers out there that they didn't eat that shit up. If anything, it proved, even the casualest of the casual gamers, had more sense than that.

So, in order to celeberate this joyful occasion. I present you the legendary "interview with a "Ready at Dawn" developer", which made all the headlines back in the day.

Enjoy!

I remember people saying they beat the game in 5 hours and 2 of those hours were cutscenes. And some acts in the game are 100% cut scenes. Talk about odd. Also, the final boss wolfman or whatever was a rehash of the same boss earlier in the game.

I cant remember any action game which had distinct acts/levels and some of them were literally just cut scenes.

Last edited:
Also, why are we bringing up Sony here? They stopped collaborating with Ready at Dawn almost a decade ago, literally nothing to do here.
Because Sony is buying up shit and Ready at Dawn was a solid 2nd party studio who was dropped. They never should have been with Meta in the first place.

nowhat

Because Sony is buying up shit and Ready at Dawn was a solid 2nd party studio who was dropped. They never should have been with Meta in the first place.
Sony is "buying up shit" now (although given recent developments, this trend is unlikely to continue), but they weren't doing so in 2020 when Meta bought the studio.

nial

I liked the order alot. The could have Uncharted 2 a potential sequel and it would have been a masterpiece.
I mean, what was anyone expecting? No disrespect for fans of the game, but The Order 1886 was an expensive flop with a 63 Metacritic, no way they were getting another chance after that happened.
Also, bolded; why? Meta had been funding all of their VR projects from the very first one (Lone Echo) in 2017.

Last edited:

FeralEcho

RIP....

One of my favourite developers.

Rip Pour One Out GIF

This generation has been the fucking worst.It's either aquisitions or closures...

squidilix

Fucking Sony. Funding shit like concord and buying the devs, buying bungie but they threw away Ready at Dawn.

Blame it on Ready at Dawn. They refused to be acquired by Sony instead of Meta.
I mean, even Insomniac doing some VR Project before Spider-Man. Maybe Sony calling for a project, but RatD direction say "nah, we fine with our shitty VR project"

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member

Edit: This is new info afaik. Makes it sting even more for fans of The Order I imagine.

I mean, everyone that played it and liked it pretty much expected a gigantic leap in quality and gameplay with a sequel. It seemed inevitable.

For a long time people called it a blueprint, much like we did with AC1 back in 2007. Hopes were super fuckin high.

Short sighted Sony thought they could rely on the staple for hits year in year out. Now they have shit all for about 1.5 years. Should have cultivated RAD, bought Supermassive Games and even arguably Quantic Dream back then.
Sad news.

I will never understand why people rejected The Order 1886 as hard as they did, I legit think it's one of the coolest settings ever conceived for video games.

All of the criticisms were overblown, it's short but it's not that short, it's shallow but it's not that shallow, the good about the game way, way overshadows any flaws.

It's not even remotely fair it wasn't given a second chance, we kind of deserve the shitpile gaming is now almost ten years later for rejecting so many cool things.

I will never forget being told in GameStop that they had a new scheme going where you could buy a used game, play it and then return it for 100% value within a week. (my memory of the exact terms of the deal are a little fuzzy to be honest) The manager told me that he and the staff were treating it like a rental service and that I should try it out myself.

I went ahead and bought The Order: 1886, platinumed it within 2 days and went back to the shop to get my refund/trade for another. I spoke to the same fucking manager and he tried to shame me for returning the fucking game. What a prick.

I actually really like GameStop, have loads of shares in the company and everything, and I think the future is looking bright for them if they can successfully pivot to something else... but fucking hell, that particular manager was a prick. I'm glad his location was shut down.

Last edited:

nial

Short sighted Sony thought they could rely on the staple for hits year in year out. Now they have shit all for about 1.5 years. Should have cultivated RAD, bought Supermassive Games and even arguably Quantic Dream back then.
Sad news.
Hoy shit guys, this. I mean, who fucking cares about shit like Stellar Blade and Astro Bot? The Quarry and Beyond Two Souls-tier games is exactly what we need in such a dire year like this!

I mean, what was anyone expecting? No disrespect for fans of the game, but The Order 1886 was an expensive flop with a 63 Metacritic, no way they were getting another chance after that happened.
Also, bolded; why? Meta had been funding all of their VR projects from the very first one (Lone Echo) in 2017.
Because Sony sound have bought them based on the strength of their PSP output. I never played The Order.

StueyDuck

While lone echo was novel...

The sequel was unnecessary, they should have greenlit something else

Last edited:

nial

Because Sony sound have bought them based on the strength of their PSP output. I never played The Order.
It wouldn't have been a bad idea at the time, but I don't think you should acquire every developer you work with, even if they make good games. And then, most of the complaints here are about Sony not giving them another chance after The Order 1886, which actually made all the fucking business sense in the world.

Last edited:

Jesb

I was surprised Sony did not pick these guys up. Sony made some huge mistakes this gen. Biggest one being bungie. Too bad. The videogame industry sucks.

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little

Agreed.

The fact that they even continued to fail long after if anything supports Sony was correct to move on.

I mean, the team literally closing down clearly is showing lots as going on internally and Sony was right to just move on.

If we ever even get a Order 1887 or something, it will likely just be done by Sony Santa Monica as they also worked on the game anyway.

I hope the team are able to find employment as this always sucks.

I don’t agree with this. They did a great job with Meta. It’s just the business. It’s not like every studio under Sony has thrived and been immune to closure or layoffs.

^ Agreed. They tried something, it didn't work and I'm more ok they tried something different with a new IP then to continue something safe.

Like you said, this is business. Every gen we'll have a few close down, even from Sony. They take risk and sometimes it doesn't work out, but I'm more ok with those risk being taken, then not.

Bridges

Admittedly I've only ever played one of their games, but Echo Arena (multiplayer spinoff of Lone Echo) was THE reason to have a VR headset in my opinion. It was incredibly fun and felt like an experience that wouldn't be the same outside the headset. The way your character moves is so fun and incredible. Movement is the worst part of VR since 90% of the time you're either pointing and teleporting or just moving with the right stick. RAD was way ahead of their peers in terms of locomotion.

Really sad news. Hope those impacted land on their feet

Top Bottom