• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Meta shuts down developer Ready at Dawn (Lone Echo, The Order 1886, GoW Chains of Olympus/Ghost of Sparta, Daxter)

coffinbirth

They had an incredible studio and used them to make VR games.
That's a weird narrative...like, does Meta have studios making games that are NOT on Quest? As talented as these guys may have been, they chose this path.

images

CamHostage

It wouldn't have been a bad idea at the time, but I don't think you should acquire every developer you work with, even if they make good games.

Agreed that sometimes partnerships end, but it is kind of crazy that RAD pivoted to VR at the same time that Sony was in need of VR games, yet they still parted ways. The sliding doors scenario of if Lone Echo and Echo Arena were on PlayStation is tantalizing (...although knowing Sony's go-and-halt history with internal VR studio development, it's quite possible that this closure would have instead hairbrush much sooner. )

Also a drag that the Lone Echo series is not on Quest. Making it for PC Rifts made the best product, but it seemed to suffer in visibility and fanbase without being on the most popular VR headset. They did get Echo VR/Arena on Quest, but then shut it down despite a loyal fanbase (who are still running servers of it now. )

Sad end to a hard-working studio.

Last edited:

CamHostage

BTW, nobody ever talks about their MP game Deformers, which seems like it was a goofy lark. Did anybody play that?

Last edited:
Can't imagine why

I’m convinced some of you truly think that the state of the entire industry is actually driven by the quality of character models lol.

It seems like acquisition then closure. It's mostly because people have started to moan about the games rather than buy and play them. Even the critically acclaimed ones while GaaS games seem to be overtaking everything.
Bingo.

Wonko_C

That's a weird narrative...like, does Meta have studios making games that are NOT on Quest? As talented as these guys may have been, they chose this path.

images

Before the Quest they released quite a few AAA and high budget titles exclusively for their Oculus Rift PC VR headsets. (other headsets could play them through some kind of spoofing software like ReVive):

-From RAD: Lone Echo I & II, Echo VR (Echo Combat & Echo Arena)
-From Sanzaru: Marvel: Powers United, Asgard's Wrath I
-From Imsomniac: Stormland, Edge of Nowhere, Feral Rites, The Unspoken
-Other 1st party: Arktika.1, Chronos, Wilson's Heart, Robo Recall, Brass Tactics, Defector, etc.

Last edited:

EDMIX

Writes a lot, says very little
Hoy shit guys, this. I mean, who fucking cares about shit like Stellar Blade and Astro Bot? The Quarry and Beyond Two Souls-tier games is exactly what we need in such a dire year like this!
lol i'm saying!

Its like, shit man I like the games too, but neither are even in the ballpark of what Stellar Blade or Ronin or Astro Bot or a lot of games Sony has put out.

I think people just fantasize about "what ifs" and always have these rose tinted glasses on. If QD was so good, they'd be putting out massive titles now and if Ready At Dawn was such a solid team, they would not be closed down. I think when you have a team struggle independently post any deal with a publisher, it merely goes to show that publisher was correct to move on.

I hope they all get great positions at solid publishers, but I think many need to relax on exaggerating this team's worth.

The market would 100% reflect that had they had been a solid team legitimately. Solid means you can carry yourself, clearly if you go under, where is the solid in that exactly?

hemo memo

Gold Member
Yeah screw The Order. Not at $60. They can fuck right off. Yes still salty paying full price on launch. Literal copy and paste bosses design. What were they thinking.

CamHostage

I always found it interesting how Ready At Dawn in its inception was made up of former Naughty Dog developers tbh.

Partly, although It's creative lead Ru Weerasuriya was from Blizzard as were other founders. But yeah, there was an immediate connection to Naughty Dog, and it paid off with them getting to do Daxter first off.

(I was always surprised they pivoted to GoW, thought they do more J&D since they nailed it sometimes better than mainline Jak IMO, but their Kratos adventures were worth it even on a PSP budget.)

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
It seems like acquisition then closure. It's mostly because people have started to moan about the games rather than buy and play them. Even the critically acclaimed ones while GaaS games seem to be overtaking everything.
Probably because the majority of GAAS that are time sinks are solid playing games people like. There's typically not much story, politics, preaching in, mandatory cut scene in most GAAS. Sports, shooters, Minecraft, MOBA, candy crush, deck builders etc.. are all about gameplay loops or MP. Even if there are some preachy angles in it, people just blow by it and get to the gameplay unless it's an obvious one like Concord or some SBI related game.

Last edited:

Ozzie666

1886 reboot, remaster or sequel dreams gone, or have they increase.

I feel bad for the job losses, sad another company closed, but then looking at their character models, somewhat feel safer now.

Ozriel

M$FT
...said no one ever, lolmao! The Order 1886 was one of the worst games ever created. The audacity both Ready at Dawn and their mangement had to really think such a non-game (all fancy presentation with literally NO substance) would resonate with gamers was unbelievable. I think many people didn't even consider them to be an actual game developer, but rather just a bunch of graphics and cutscene artists.

Honestly, the studio was already dead as soon as they released that pseudo-game.

Nothing of value has been lost. Back in the day, I was actually proud of my fellow gamers out there that they didn't eat that shit up. If anything, it proved, even the casualest of the casual gamers, had more sense than that.

So, in order to celeberate this joyful occasion. I present you the legendary "interview with a "Ready at Dawn" developer", which made all the headlines back in the day.

Enjoy!

What a shitty post.

“Many didn’t consider them an actual developer” is a troll thing to say When they put out some of the best quality work on the PSP, and when they made some of the best VR games out there.

They were a very talented studio. Just had shitty luck in their transition to AAA with the Order 1886 and in navigating the aftermath with Sony.

UltimaKilo

Gold Member
I don’t agree with this. They did a great job with Meta. It’s just the business. It’s not like every studio under Sony has thrived and been immune to closure or layoffs.

Clearly it wasn’t a “great job” if it wasn’t worth pouring money into them. They were likely bleeding money.

Shame they couldn’t get it together, they had some talent.

FunkMiller

Another great example of how, if you’re a developer, you should never let yourself be bought out by a major corporation, if you want to survive.

hyperbertha

I will never understand why people rejected The Order 1886 as hard as they did, I legit think it's one of the coolest settings ever conceived for video games.

All of the criticisms were overblown, it's short but it's not that short, it's shallow but it's not that shallow, the good about the game way, way overshadows any flaws.

It's not even remotely fair it wasn't given a second chance, we kind of deserve the shitpile gaming is now almost ten years later for rejecting so many cool things.
Is a cool setting all that matters? Bloodborne setting is better but with everything else that should come with a game.

Three

Probably because the majority of GAAS that are time sinks are solid playing games people like. There's typically not much story, politics, preaching in, mandatory cut scene in most GAAS. Sports, shooters, Minecraft, MOBA, candy crush, deck builders etc.. are all about gameplay loops or MP. Even if there are some preachy angles in it, people just blow by it and get to the gameplay unless it's an obvious one like Concord or some SBI related game.
I don't understand what this has to do with politics or preaching. Games you buy and finish are not somehow more political or preachy, that's unrelated and not mutually exclusive. GaaS is just as prone to preaching or politics, if not more so. King, the creators of Candy Crush even created a diversity tool that ABK started using across Overwatch and CoD:

It comes down to people not buying games and moaning about reasons not to buy them whereas cheap or f2p stuff just has a better chance at it using a "land and expand" tactic via microtransactions. Candy Crush does well because it's on mobile and f2p. Not because it has a better 'gameplay loop' than Dragons Dogma or FF rebirth or whatever. Even Minecraft started f2p up to v1.3.

Is a cool setting all that matters? Bloodborne setting is better but with everything else that should come with a game.
When it's one of the coolest settings I've ever seen... yes it is.

There's nothing wrong with the gameplay, it's not the deepest third person shooter but the alt history weaponry was cool, the point of the game however is to actually stop and soak up it's atmosphere, too few games simply give you a lot of interesting stuff to simply LOOK at, if you're the kinda idiot to just rush from point A to point B without ever stopping to actually look at anything then you're missing the point.

Everyone complains about too many bloated, filler packed 80 hour open world games these days, well gee, maybe you shouldn't have freaked out so bad about The Order, the replay value of the game stems from the fact that it's interesting enough to simply want to play multiple times for the hell of it, it reminded me of the PS2 survival horror games I loved as a teen like Silent Hill 3, not the deepest basic gameplay. not very long length, but I would play those games over and over because I simply liked the experience, The Order was like that reworked as a third person cover shooter.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
They made a new IP that was linear, single player, high graphic fidelity as the open world, established IP, multiplayer, simple graphics era took off.

Last edited:

Andrea Pessino

Ready At Dawn Game Director
Can't imagine why

There are just some people out there who never resist an opportunity to insult and diminish. For the life of me I'll never understand why so many have to be angry and negative about everything. Videogames are serious shit, I guess. In any case, no idea what is going on in that shot or how/where it was captured, but that's not representative of Liv at all, in either game.

Liv Rhodes is such an amazing experience in the games. She is a fully developed AI driven character the player interacts fully with, in complete freedom, for most of the game. The amount of tech, experimentation and just brute force work that had to be done to sell that illusion was crazy, but the whole premise relied on the player buying into their relationship with this character. One mistake and the magic trick of making you care for her would collapse.

Recall also that this is almost 10 year old tech, well before the advent of spatiotemporal reprojection and other low level techniques which have since eased some of the burden of rendering in VR (not to mention the huge leaps in GPU power). LE had to run on min spec PCs locked at 90Hz or 120Hz rendering TWICE per frame. It was a struggle to deliver what we did. She is even more detailed in LE2, which pushed the boundary further in many ways. Anyhow, here is a quick clip to give you an idea. The experience in VR is on other level, of course, but at least you can get a sense of the context:

I am incredibly proud of what our team accomplished with these two titles. They are some of my favorite games ever, and a genuine attempt at revealing some of the potential of VR as a medium to expand traditional narrative and mechanical possibilities.

As always, I am sorry to interject here, but I will take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the kind words that many have thrown in our direction in light of yesterday's news - 21 years is a long time, we had a great run and lived through some crazy highs and some of the lowest lows. We still had a lot of fun doing it all - hopefully we learned a thing of two, and each one of the members of our group will bring some valuable experience and ideas to whatever future projects they work on.

Personally, I can tell you one thing: I have been doing this since I was a teen, I am 58 now, and if you think I am done you don't know me at all.

See you all in a few years for something new... ♥️

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't understand what this has to do with politics or preaching. Games you buy and finish are not somehow more political or preachy, that's unrelated and not mutually exclusive. GaaS is just as prone to preaching or politics, if not more so. King, the creators of Candy Crush even created a diversity tool that ABK started using across Overwatch and CoD:

It comes down to people not buying games and moaning about reasons not to buy them whereas cheap or f2p stuff just has a better chance at it using a "land and expand" tactic via microtransactions. Candy Crush does well because it's on mobile and f2p. Not because it has a better 'gameplay loop' than Dragons Dogma or FF rebirth or whatever. Even Minecraft started f2p up to v1.3.
To me, even a GAAS game with a bunch of DEI thrown in isnt so bad because people can skip it. COD can have a million DEI weapon and character skins but makes no difference as I just care about the default solider and care more about killing than staring at skins.

SP and GAAS games where you cant avoid it are the ones where a lot of gamers push back.

Last edited:
Can I just say that Ready At Dawn is the coolest name a developer has ever come up with? That alone makes me sad they're gone.

There are just some people out there who never resist an opportunity to insult and diminish. For the life of me I'll never understand why so many have to be angry and negative about everything. Videogames are serious shit, I guess. In any case, no idea what is going on in that shot or how/where it was captured, but that's not representative of Liv at all, in either game.

Liv Rhodes is such an amazing experience in the games. She is a fully developed AI driven character the player interacts fully with, in complete freedom, for most of the game. The amount of tech, experimentation and just brute force work that had to be done to sell that illusion was crazy, but the whole premise relied on the player buying into their relationship with this character. One mistake and the magic trick of making you care for her would collapse.

Recall also that this is almost 10 year old tech, well before the advent of spatiotemporal reprojection and other low level techniques which have since eased some of the burden of rendering in VR (not to mention the huge leaps in GPU power). LE had to run on min spec PCs locked at 90Hz or 120Hz rendering TWICE per frame. It was a struggle to deliver what we did. She is even more detailed in LE2, which pushed the boundary further in many ways. Anyhow, here is a quick clip to give you an idea. The experience in VR is on other level, of course, but at least you can get a sense of the context:

I am incredibly proud of what our team accomplished with these two titles. They are some of my favorite games ever, and a genuine attempt at revealing some of the potential of VR as a medium to expand traditional narrative and mechanical possibilities.

As always, I am sorry to interject here, but I will take this opportunity to express my gratitude for the kind words that many have thrown in our direction in light of yesterday's news - 21 years is a long time, we had a great run and lived through some crazy highs and some of the lowest lows. We still had a lot of fun doing it all - hopefully we learned a thing of two, and each one of the members of our group will bring some valuable experience and ideas to whatever future projects they work on.

Personally, I can tell you one thing: I have been doing this since I was a teen, I am 58 now, and if you think I am done you don't know me at all.

Hello there, is there anything you can share about The Order 1886? What do you think the likelihood is now it may continue somehow in the future? Is there any concept art or details for the sequel you can share? Can you confirm a sequel was being worked on?

Thanks for all the good times and I'm sorry you guys never got the credit you deserved.

Andrea Pessino

Can I just say that Ready At Dawn is the coolest name a developer has ever come up with? That alone makes me sad they're gone.

Hello there, is there anything you can share about The Order 1886? What do you think the likelihood is now it may continue somehow in the future? Is there any concept art or details for the sequel you can share? Can you confirm a sequel was being worked on?

Thanks for all the good times and I'm sorry you guys never got the credit you deserved.

Thank you! We got plenty of credit over our 21 years, I am not going to complain, and we got plenty of blame too (sometimes well deservedly so ;) ).

I shared on this forum before that yes, we were working on a sequel and pitched it:

There is not much else I can say, unfortunately - I cannot share information about the sequel concept simply because it does not belong to me (legally it belongs to Sony, morally to its creator Ru ;) ). I can tell you that he had a wonderful vision and wrote so much material spanning centuries and going into wild directions. I would have loved to see it, but if it did not happen then the odds of it seeing the light now, in whatever form, seem pretty minimal to me.

Thanks again for your support!

Andrea Pessino

All right, I can share at least one more small thing: the sequel would have definitely had multiplayer, it was part of the design from the beginning. One of the reasons I was working on what became Deformers at the time was because I wanted to explore various approaches to high performance networking in fast action games, with over-the-server synchronized physics. It was one area of tech we never got to build, and that would have been the opportunity. We ended up with Deformers and then Echo Arena, Echo Combat and Echo VR because of that work. Having a MP component and expanded/refined shooting mechanics in The Order would have done a lot to help turn it into a franchise, I think.

Oh well... next time. :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
All right, I can share at least one more small thing: the sequel would have definitely had multiplayer, it was part of the design from the beginning. One of the reasons I was working on what became Deformers at the time was because I wanted to explore various approaches to high performance networking in fast action games, with over-the-server synchronized physics. It was one area of tech we never got to build, and that would have been the opportunity. We ended up with Deformers and then Echo Arena, Echo Combat and Echo VR because of that work. Having a MP component and expanded/refined shooting mechanics in The Order would have done a lot to help turn it into a franchise, I think.

Oh well... next time. :)
We could have had MP?

Angry Mark Cuban GIF

Thank you! We got plenty of credit over our 21 years, I am not going to complain, and we got plenty of blame too (sometimes well deservedly so ;) ).

I shared on this forum before that yes, we were working on a sequel and pitched it:

There is not much else I can say, unfortunately - I cannot share information about the sequel concept simply because it does not belong to me (legally it belongs to Sony, morally to its creator Ru ;) ). I can tell you that he had a wonderful vision and wrote so much material spanning centuries and going into wild directions. I would have loved to see it, but if it did not happen then the odds of it seeing the light now, in whatever form, seem pretty minimal to me.

Thanks again for your support!
Oh man, I want to know more so badly!

Spanning centuries and going in wild directions seems to point to some theories I've speculated just going by what's in the original game.

Just to be able to see anything at all from this proposed sequel would be amazing, but thank you so much for the response.

hyperbertha

When it's one of the coolest settings I've ever seen... yes it is.

There's nothing wrong with the gameplay, it's not the deepest third person shooter but the alt history weaponry was cool, the point of the game however is to actually stop and soak up it's atmosphere, too few games simply give you a lot of interesting stuff to simply LOOK at, if you're the kinda idiot to just rush from point A to point B without ever stopping to actually look at anything then you're missing the point.

Everyone complains about too many bloated, filler packed 80 hour open world games these days, well gee, maybe you shouldn't have freaked out so bad about The Order, the replay value of the game stems from the fact that it's interesting enough to simply want to play multiple times for the hell of it, it reminded me of the PS2 survival horror games I loved as a teen like Silent Hill 3, not the deepest basic gameplay. not very long length, but I would play those games over and over because I simply liked the experience, The Order was like that reworked as a third person cover shooter.
The setting felt rather generic to me. Werewolves in a Victorian setting gee never seen that before. Silent hill 3 is a storytelling masterpiece, and much harder to play so right there it offers two things the order doesn't. They are not comparable imo.

Vlodril

I personally loved The Order 1886. Played 3 times too. Still one of the best settings i have seen in gaming. I also really liked Lone echo. One of the stand out vr games i would put it on my top 3. I wanted to play lone echo 2 but i am not sure if its available on quest 3. I tried to play it either on quest 2 or the Reverb G2 (don't remember) but it had some issues with textures loading and i refunded. Great story and characters.

I wonder if it would be feasible for the people that made the company (at least some of them) to pitch a kickstarter project for a new vr or flatscreen game. I feel that the winds have turned in favor of RAD these days.

//DEVIL//

Not happy. I really liked most of their games including the order.

was not happy when they were purchased by meta. but was hoping they would sell the studio back to the owners or sell the studio to someone else. but not like this.

Wonko_C

I know it's already too late but, go buy Lone Echo I & II you bastards. And buy a VR headset if you haven't already. You're missinng out.

Haint

I recall in the early days of Oculus that Zuckercuck was reputedly a big fan of the Echo franchise and actually played Arena quite a bit in his personal time. He wasn't known to pay meaningless lip service to other games so it seemed like genuine admiration. I wonder how, out of all Oculus' studios, you guys are the ones who managed to get the axe. Were you by far the most expensive team? Did your presumably long in development Quest game catastrophically fail milestones? How many of the Echo Arena devs did you lose to Gorilla Tag?

Last edited:
I loved the Order 1886. A masterpiece to me. The world, the characters, the story. Graphics that still stand out today. Ashamed we will most likely never get a sequel. The ending of the game setup for the sequel splendidly. This and Driveclub are two of my favorite earlier PS4 games that I still revisit sometimes. Sad that neither will get a sequel.

Last edited:
Oh man, I want to know more so badly!

Spanning centuries and going in wild directions seems to point to some theories I've speculated just going by what's in the original game.

Just to be able to see anything at all from this proposed sequel would be amazing, but thank you so much for the response.
Yes lots of possibilities indeed. I thought if not directly after the events of the first game or maybe a year after they would possibly go into 1900 to 1920 London. Either a continuation or evolution of the original threat or perhaps something new and more sinister. Intriguing what could have been eh? Sadly, most gaming companies today don’t want to take the risk of making a game that doesn’t sell well and instead bank off successful established fan favorite IP’s. Years ago someone would have taken the chance and we would have gotten a sequel to the Order.

Last edited:
The Order: 1886 needed more time in the oven. It was a clearly pushed to meet the PS4 release. Sad to say it was bogged down with unskippable cutscenes and walking segments, clearly to pad the games length which is already a short one.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Another great example of how, if you’re a developer, you should never let yourself be bought out by a major corporation, if you want to survive.

Unfortunately it isn't that simple.

If you have a large staff and expenses a month or two's delay in inking a dev/publishing agreement can be fatal. Its all about burn rate. Its ALWAYS been about burn rate.

The way some people couch it, it seems like they think that if a title underperforms a platform-holder like Sony just slams the door in a team's face. Forcing them to scramble and ending up getting bought out. The reality is a lot less emotional; basically both parties in the deal have failed to make the desired profit, and so it makes pretty obvious sense that they get to properly "kick the tyres" on any subsequent deal so as not to repeat the same unsatisfactory result.

Maybe they come back with an offer with reduced funding, at which point the devs have to renegotiate scope or maybe put forward an alternative project... time rolls on sorting all this stuff and money starts drying up.

There are good reasons why most studios die BETWEEN, not during projects.

Last edited:
Top Bottom