• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running Back from FSU also hit a girl several times at same bar and hurt puppies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/florida-state-seminoles-fsu-rb-dalvin-cook-investigation-battery-woman-071015
http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/florida-state-running-back-dalvin-cook-bb-gun-puppies-chained-no-shelter-punched-woman-071315

Florida State sophomore running back Dalvin Cook has been suspended indefinitely after being charged with allegedly beating a 21-year-old woman.

The state attorney's office issued a warrant for Cook's arrest. The 19-year-old is accused of punching the woman in the face several times during an argument outside of a Tallahassee bar on June 23.

State Attorney Willie Meggs interviewed the woman and Cook before issuing the arrest warrant on a misdemeanor battery charge. Police are giving Cook the option of turning himself in. He denied striking the woman. Meggs said he found the woman to be "very credible."

The alleged victim reportedly identified Cook in a photo lineup with Tallahassee Police Department investigators on July 1 and said she wanted to pursue criminal charges.

The woman, who lives in Tallahassee, told ESPN.com that she was approached by a man who was not Cook outside of Clyde's and Costello's shortly after the bar closed on June 23. The woman said the man asked for her phone number, which she refused to give him.

"I told him I had a boyfriend and wasn't interested," said the woman, who spoke to ESPN.com on the condition she not be identified. The woman said the argument became heated, and then Cook punched her in the face several times. Her friend ran to a nearby Tallahassee police car, which wasn't occupied, so the woman called 911.

"They kept telling me they were football players," the woman said. "They kept telling me to Google them. They told me they were football players and they could buy me in two years."

According to the Tallahassee Police Department's report, an officer arrived at Clyde's and Costello's at 2:24 a.m. on June 23, ESPN reports.

A witness reportedly told police he saw the incident. According to ESPN, he said he was trying to de-escalate a situation outside the bar, but when an officer working security in the parking lot went inside the bar at closing time the woman was punched in the mouth.

This is not the first off-field incident for Cook.

In June 2014, Cook was one of three Florida State players questioned regarding a bb-gun shooting that caused property damage at Tallahassee apartment complex. Cook was charged with criminal mischief and given pre-trial intervention in December, which he completed last month.

In July 2014, Cook was named as an "associate" in an aggravated assault case in which police were investigating whether two men brandished a firearm at a neighbor at Cook's apartment.

Earlier this week, FSU dismissed quarterback De'Andre Johnson after he was charged with misdemeanor battery of a woman. Meggs decided to charge Johnson after he viewed video of the incident, which happened inside a bar.

Florida State running back Dalvin Cook was charged Friday with battery, accused of punching a woman in the face multiple times at a Tallahassee bar in June. That same day, he was suspended indefinitely by the school before turning himself in that night.

But according to a report on SI.com, this is actually the third legal run-in for the 21-year-old sophomore since he arrived in Tallahassee last summer.

Andy Staples on Sunday reported that Cook, who ran for 1,008 yards and eight touchdowns as a freshman with the Seminoles last season, was charged last October with criminal mischief after a June 2014 BB gun incident that left car windows broken. The following month, according to the report, Cook received two citations from Tallahassee Animal Services after chaining three puppies together by the neck.

The citation report, which can be read here, states animal control officer Sheree Mifflin “observed three puppies (one aged eight months and two that were just two months old) … tethered directly around the neck by a heavy chain. The dogs were unable to move and the smaller puppies were choking. I had to remove them for their safety.”

The report also states Cook did not have identification on him at the time and that he was identified by an officer with the Tallahassee Police Department.

The SI.com report cites Leon County public records as stating both citations remain open and that Cook was fined $275 for chaining the dogs in that manner and $275 for failing to provide shelter.

What the fuck

xbhaskarx

Wait, this is a different incident involving a different Florida State football player than the previous thread?

Video shows FSU QB throwing a punch at a woman at a bar

Incident 1: Florida State Seminoles dismissed freshman quarterback De'Andre Johnson from the team Monday night... video showing Johnson punching a woman in the face last month at a Tallahassee bar.

Incident 2: Florida State sophomore running back Dalvin Cook has been suspended indefinitely after being charged with punching a 21-year-old woman in the face several times during an argument outside of a Tallahassee bar on June 23.

entremet

Wait, this is a different incident involving a different Florida State football player than the previous thread?

Video shows FSU QB throwing a punch at a woman at a bar

Incident 1: Florida State Seminoles dismissed freshman quarterback De'Andre Johnson from the team Monday night, hours after the state's attorney's office released video showing Johnson punching a woman in the face last month at a Tallahassee bar.

Incident 2: Florida State sophomore running back Dalvin Cook has been suspended indefinitely after being charged with punching a 21-year-old woman in the face several times during an argument outside of a Tallahassee bar on June 23.

Yes. That was a QB. This is a running back.

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
Tallahassee-Police-Department-Criminoles.jpg

entremet

sports culture is really cray in the south.

JV RBs pulling grown ass women and ish.

'google us' wow. so entitled.

what is wrong with these dudes?

Imagine people blowing your head up as a teenage knuckle head. These dudes are treated like demigods in their rinky dink towns.

HS sports culture is wacky.

OctoMan

Banned
Ahhh I really don't know much about sports but I see what you mean. How good was the QB?

^lmao
The qb was a top recruit, though he didn't play because they had the best qb in the country. I do think the video is the factor here. Not that fsu isn't saintly or anything, but domestic abuse and football is too toxic of headlines for anyone to go to bat for at this point.

TheContact

Better he gets locked up now than to say they had a chance in the NFL. What a scumbag. What a pussy. Beats up girls and abuses puppies. How about he gets in the ring with an MMA fighter and a pit bull and see what a tough guy he is then

Just to get it on record, Florida State's president met with the team to address these issues. Here is his public statement:

http://news.fsu.edu/More-FSU-News/Update-from-Florida-State-University-President-John-Thrasher

July 13, 2015

Dear Friends,

I want to report to you that I met with Head Football Coach Jimbo Fisher, the assistant coaches and the Florida State University football team this afternoon.

In light of recent off-field incidents, I reiterated to our players that they simply cannot put themselves in situations that reflect poor behavior or cause harm to others. They must remember that playing football for FSU is a privilege, not a right. The actions of a few have the capacity to do serious damage to the reputation of our entire university. I told them their coaches, the Athletics administration and I will do all we can to support them and help them learn the values we expect them to uphold. But they will be held accountable for their actions.

I also told the coaches what is expected of them. The administration will support them in their efforts to provide mentors, teach life skills and do whatever is needed to help our student-athletes be good students and good citizens. Coach Fisher and Athletics Director Stan Wilcox are developing a strong plan to help our student-athletes understand the consequences of poor behavior. As they move forward with that plan, I will continue to communicate with you regarding steps that will be taken. I will also invite professionals who deal with these matters to visit the team soon.

As I’ve said before, the vast majority of our student-athletes are good students and positive role models who contribute to their university and their communities. But the actions of a very few are tarnishing the reputation of our outstanding institution. We need to do better, and I want to assure you changes will be made to address these concerns.

There are so many incredible things happening at Florida State University in academics and athletics. That’s a headline we’d all like to see.

Sincerely,

John Thrasher

FSU has to kick him off too. This is much worse than the previous situation. I wonder how long they knew about the puppy incident too.

Another reason sports has no place in college. It literally adds nothing to the school
Is this based in actual fact? Or just emotion and opinion?

giga

Maybe FSU recruiters should put a clause in their LOI saying you must not hurt women.

Just to get it on record, Florida State's president met with the team to address these issues. Here is his public statement:

http://news.fsu.edu/More-FSU-News/Update-from-Florida-State-University-President-John-Thrasher

They must remember that playing football for FSU is a privilege, not a right. The actions of a few have the capacity to do serious damage to the reputation of our entire university.

What reputation?

Spider from Mars

tap that thorax
They must remember that playing football for FSU is a privilege, not a right. The actions of a few have the capacity to do serious damage to the reputation of our entire university.

What reputation?
The people who are good role models and student athletes are doing damage to their reputation of recruiting criminals.

Randomizer

Needs some jail time to understand his behaviour is completely unacceptable. He could be quite easily be rehabilitated if the prison system wasn't fucked. I'll never understand sport culture especially in the US. These guys are treated like heroes for running around with a ball. No wonder they develop personality disorders and think they can do what they want.

Mesousa

Banned
FSU has to kick him off too. This is much worse than the previous situation. I wonder how long they knew about the puppy incident too.

Is this based in actual fact? Or just emotion and opinion?

Well they give them bad publicity and stadiums full of drunk students whose time would probably be better served studying.

Except for tons and tons and tons of money.

Most Schools don't make a profit from what I have read.

Needs some jail time to understand his behaviour is completely unacceptable. He could be quite easily be rehabilitated if the prison system wasn't fucked. I'll never understand sport culture especially in the US. These guys are treated like heroes for running around with a ball. No wonder they develop personality disorders and think they can do what they want.

Sports fandom isn't limited to the US. Happens all over the world. Just insert different sports.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
Another reason sports has no place in college. It literally adds nothing to the school

Or do you mean humanity has no place in college? Pretty sure all kinds of crimes are happening at colleges, involving non-athletic students.

THRILLH0

Banned
Did she turn around aggressively and shake her fist before he pummeled her?

Also, was she built like Ronda Roussey?

Ganhyun

Maybe for the other sports. But football and basketball bring these schools in ten of millions or more, depending on what school it is.

Edit: Just an idea of what football does for these schools:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2014/12/22/college-footballs-most-valuable-teams-2014/

Texas is worth 131 million in a year. Just from football.
Notre Dame is worth 122 million
Michigan is 117 million
Alabama is 107 million
LSU is 103 million

Their profits basically pay for the other sports to exist.

The goals of most schools that have athletic programs is to get to the big leagues one day and FSU is already there. There's a reason why you see athletes who feel entitled to do anything they want at and around these schools. They know that ultimately the schools want the money they bring in more than they want well behaved students.

Kid gloves for the zero-wage employees that bring schools hundreds of millions of dollars. Release PR, slap on wrist, get those boys back on the field.

ryseing

Well they give them bad publicity and stadiums full of drunk students whose time would probably be better served studying.

This is an absurd statement. Please, troll harder.

College sports are awesome. They bring a sense of unity to the campus and are incredibly effective advertisements for the school, as well as bringing in alumni donations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom