• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia accused of arresting and murdering gay people in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
MOSCOW — First, two television reporters vanished. Then a waiter went missing. Over the past week, men ranging in age from 16 to 50 have disappeared from the streets of Chechnya.

On Saturday, a leading Russian opposition newspaper confirmed a story already circulating among human rights activists: The Chechen authorities were arresting and killing gay men.

While abuses by security services in the region, where Russia fought a two-decade war against Islamic insurgents, have long been a stain on President Vladimir V. Putin’s human rights record, gay people had not previously been targeted on a wide scale.

The men were detained “in connection with their nontraditional sexual orientation, or suspicion of such,” the newspaper, Novaya Gazeta, reported, citing Russian federal law enforcement officials, who blamed the local authorities.

By Saturday, the paper reported, and an analyst of the region with her own sources confirmed, that more than 100 gay men had been detained. The newspaper had the names of three murder victims, and suspected many others had died in extrajudicial killings.

A spokesman for Chechnya’s leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, denied the report in a statement to Interfax on Saturday, calling the article “absolute lies and disinformation.”

“You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, told the news agency.

“If such people existed in Chechnya, law enforcement would not have to worry about them, as their own relatives would have sent them to where they could never return,” Mr. Karimov said.

THEIR DEFENSE IS THAT GAY MEN AND WOMEN DON'T EXIST IN CHECHNYA AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS WOULD HAVE KILLED THEM.

This is their defense!

This is fucking nuts, can we allow all the gay people in Russia to come to America right now or something? Give them refugee status?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/...-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html?_r=0

Dmented

Banned
THEIR DEFENSE IS THAT GAY MEN AND WOMEN DON'T EXIST IN CHECHNYA AND THEIR FAMILY MEMBERS WOULD HAVE KILLED THEM.

This is their defense!

This is fucking nuts, can we allow all the gay people in Russia to come to America right now or something? Give them refugee status?

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/01/...-killing-gay-men-russian-paper-says.html?_r=0

If the repubs had it their way, it would be the same here sadly.

There's a docu, I wish I remembered the name, but it was awful. Russian citizens would browse gay hook up websites and try to meet with other gay men/women and brutally beat them.

EDIT: Beefy below mentioned it as well. It was a BBC docu.

For what it's worth, this is in the autonomous Russian Republic of Chechnya, which is lead by a murderous maniac called Ramzan Kadyrov.

Putin appointed Kadyrov after the Chechen civil war to keep a lid on the region, and gave him free reign to govern Chechnya as he pleases. For the last several years Kadyrov has been becoming more and more extreme, and he's widely believed to have been behind the assassination of Boris Nemtsov.

Beefy

Stuff like this has been happening for years in Russia. BBC did a thing on it, were gangs of people would entrap gay people. They would pretend to be a gay and arrange a meet with a gay person, then they would meet the gay person. Beat him up and then kidnap him and get threaten to kill him if he didn't confess to being gay on camera. They would upload the confession onto their website to shame him. They also had gangs that would go round stabbing gay people.

This is just a step up.

soco

Sadly, I don't think the accusations are new. I think there's a documentary from a few years ago about this.

You used to be able to get some gay people refugee status, I think it's been harder to get in the US, and I suspect it's especially difficult coming from Russia. I can only imagine how that might have changed recently. However, I know people from Iran and other countries who have filed for asylum in Canada and European countries, and I believe had it granted, so there are some places.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Six months ago, or in an alternate timeline, we'd likely be offering these people asylum in the US. Now I'm a little afraid this is going to give Trump, Pence, and company ideas.

Stuff like this has been happening for years in Russia. BBC did a thing on it, were gangs of people would entrap gay people. They would pretend to be a gay and arrange a meet with a gay person, then they would meet the gay person. Beat him up and then kidnap him and get threaten to kill him if he didn't confess to being gay on camera. They would upload the confession onto their website to shame him. They also had gangs that would go round stabbing gay people.

This is true, but this report also shows a huge escalation. There's a difference between roving street gangs and the actual government doing it.

I hate to be so stereotypical but I play FGs competitively with Russians and I always see if they are homophobic and every single one of them views gay people in bad light, the most tame answer I got was from a known streamer who I was in a party with said "I don't mind faggits once they stay out of me way" that was the last I spoke to him.

I'm assuming not all Russians are homophobes, but damn seems like A LOT are.

I guess to a sense they where brought believing it's wrong..., but so was I, and I ain't a homophobe.

Pomerlaw

1023216390.jpg

Not

Banned
Well, that's torn it. We're literally back to overtly evil global superpowers with this. Goddammit.

Whyyyyyyyyy do people suck

There won't even be a war because Russia essentially controls us

“You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, told the news agency.

“If such people existed in Chechnya, law enforcement would not have to worry about them, as their own relatives would have sent them to where they could never return,” Mr. Karimov said.

this is horrific

Derwind

“You cannot arrest or repress people who just don’t exist in the republic,” the spokesman, Alvi Karimov, told the news agenc

You cannot get any colder than this. Holy fuck, this is the most warped way to justify outright mass murder by suggesting they didn't exist in the first place.

What the fuck.

i-Lo

Here I thought Saudi nations were utterly abhorrent in this regard (and Iran). Utterly disgusting. And to think Putin has far too many supporters because iirc he brought stability to the region. But these tyrants do rise in these times. Recently, it was the relaxing laws against domestic violence and now this.

And out in the States the regression has already begun. Through pain and suffering do we learn all too well and all too well we forget all of it in time. Truly, it is as if our species is bound to this wheel of events; its cyclical as we seldom value the things that we inherit as opposed to earning them.

- J - D -

The bit about gay men fleeing and congregating in more tolerant regions of Russia is really tragic. I don't know if that's really practical in the long term if these sweeps become more aggressive.

MarionCB

A spokesman for Chechnya’s leader, Ramzan Kadyrov, denied the report in a statement to Interfax on Saturday, calling the article “absolute lies and disinformation.”

What. The. Fuck?!

"Gay people don't exist here but if they did they'd be murdered already. Oh but we didn't murder anyone."

This man should be in jail right now, the utter piece of shit.

Russia needs to face severe consequences for these acts.

Pomerlaw

Typical static society.

In time, they will fail. They will crumble, and it may not be pretty.

Gay people exist and deserve to be treated with respect, this is a goddamn truth and no amount of denial of reality will change this.

Absolutely disgusting.

Can these people gain refugee status in Europe for political persecution? I sure as hell hope so.

Nabbis

I probably wont win a popularity contest for this but i would consider this particular article as propaganda. Russia as a country is culturally homophobic but Chechnya is it's own special shit hole. Probably not a direct comparison but something happening in a bible belt state and overall governmental systemic racism is both bad but there is a difference and i don't think it's being truthful if you equate the two. I don't think the central government in Russia would really be comfortable with this.

Quixzlizx

I probably wont win a popularity contest for this but i would consider this particular article as propaganda. Russia as a country is culturally homophobic but Chechnya is it's own special shit hole. Probably not a direct comparison but something happening in a bible belt state and overall governmental systemic racism is both bad but there is a difference and i don't think it's being truthful if you equate the two. I don't think the central government in Russia would really be comfortable with this.

As long as they're not comfortable with it.

I probably wont win a popularity contest for this but i would consider this particular article as propaganda. Russia as a country is culturally homophobic but Chechnya is it's own special shit hole. Probably not a direct comparison but something happening in a bible belt state and overall governmental systemic racism is both bad but there is a difference and i don't think it's being truthful if you equate the two. I don't think the central government itself would be comfortable with this.

This is like saying that if Texas was murdering gay people and America wasn't doing anything about it, America isn't responsible.

Jenov

Putin doesn't seem to have a problem with it, considering you know, he put the guy in charge there.

Buckle

And some people have been trying to pretend like aligning with Russia would be a good thing.

"whats the big deal?"

Nabbis

This is like saying that if Texas was murdering gay people and America wasn't doing anything about it, America isn't responsible.

I did not say anything about responsibility and Russia has done plenty to Chechnya, most of it is crap but they spend many years trying to get the area under governmental control.

Zero315

Banned

This is just a step up.

Yep, I remember first hearing about this around the time Pussy Riot became active.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Remember that video of the gay guy getting tossed off a building in the middle east that all the alt right/theDonald idiots were passing around showing how abhorrent Muslims were?

I wonder what their reaction to this is.

A reminder that much of the world still views people like me as subhuman and worthy of only death. Nice to have these once in a while.

Chechnya is a shit hole, blown apart by Putin and his cronies and allowing terrorism to fester and grow as long as it's not the Russian state being targeted.

Fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom