• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia accused of arresting and murdering gay people in Russia.

Status
Not open for further replies.
A reminder that much of the world still views people like me as subhuman and worthy of only death. Nice to have these once in a while.

Chechnya is a shit hole, blown apart by Putin and his cronies and allowing terrorism to fester and grow as long as it's not the Russian state being targeted.

Fuck.

This is the product of a straight century of Gopnik-Culture forged through the absence of Russia's legitimate government. People call the "Russian Federation" a kleptocracy, but the reality is is that it's no more an illegitimate kleptocracy than the USSR was with literal felons like Lenin, Stalin, and Kruschev running the show.

It's sad, really. Russia used to be a much more cultured place before the proles overthrew the monarchy. The supreme irony of it all is that after all that bullshit Lenin and Co. caused for both Russia and the entire world (See: China, Cuba, Vietnam, and others), Russia has an even worse wealth gap than before.

Mark L

Before the overthrow of the monarchy there was brutal, horrible serfdom exactly half a step away from slavery, interrupted by monstrous, vicious pogroms.

The communist dictators deserve to be credited with the insane acts of democide they committed, but it is ridiculous to long for a cultured monarchy that never existed.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Before the overthrow of the monarchy there was brutal, horrible serfdom exactly half a step away from slavery, interrupted by monstrous, vicious pogroms.

The communist dictators deserve to be credited with the insane acts of democide they committed, but it is ridiculous to long for a cultured monarchy that never existed.

Indeed. This type of statement reminds me of the Ukrainian pogroms in the thirties. Literally the same type of language. I recommend you guys read or watch Child 44 as it works in similar veins.

Mimosa97

Remember that video of the gay guy getting tossed off a building in the middle east that all the alt right/theDonald idiots were passing around showing how abhorrent Muslims were?

I wonder what their reaction to this is.

Chechnya is a muslim region so ...

Indeed. This type of statement reminds me of the Ukrainian pogroms in the thirties. Literally the same type of language. I recommend you guys read or watch Child 44 as it works in similar veins.

Those were performed by the USSR under Stalin, not the Romanov dynasty.

koryuken

Chechnya is Russian in name only. The culture, the people have much more in common with Afghanistan than Russia.

Condom

Not sure what you mean.

That they're automatically given refuge in Europe afaik. At the very least here in the Netherlands, it's law.

This is the product of a straight century of Gopnik-Culture forged through the absence of Russia's legitimate government. People call the "Russian Federation" a kleptocracy, but the reality is is that it's no more an illegitimate kleptocracy than the USSR was with literal felons like Lenin, Stalin, and Kruschev running the show.

It's sad, really. Russia used to be a much more cultured place before the proles overthrew the monarchy. The supreme irony of it all is that after all that bullshit Lenin and Co. caused for both Russia and the entire world (See: China, Cuba, Vietnam, and others), Russia has an even worse wealth gap than before.

omg a romanov lover in 2017, hope this isn't a trend. It's like I entered the twilight zone.

Quixzlizx

That they're automatically given refuge in Europe afaik. At the very least here in the Netherlands, it's law.

omg a romanov lover in 2017, hope this isn't a trend. It's like I entered the twilight zone.

Now you know how all non-communists feel when they run into tankies.

Okay, that's good. I'm not too familiar with the refugee conditions. I suspect it should be the same in most or all other Europe countries then.

RM8

I hope no one ever repeats the tired "Technically, Russia is not anti-gay! Only anti-gay-propaganda".

Amalthea

Banned
This is what I too feel is the worst about Russia, all the art and culture gone and we're left with a place that is just there to terrorize the world and its own people.

This is what I too feel is the worst about Russia, all the art and culture gone and we're left with a place that is just there to terrorize the world and its own people.

So, uh, like pre-revolution Russia?

Russia has been a horrible place for pretty much the entirety of its existence.

smurfx

get some go again
Stuff like this has been happening for years in Russia. BBC did a thing on it, were gangs of people would entrap gay people. They would pretend to be a gay and arrange a meet with a gay person, then they would meet the gay person. Beat him up and then kidnap him and get threaten to kill him if he didn't confess to being gay on camera. They would upload the confession onto their website to shame him. They also had gangs that would go round stabbing gay people.

This is just a step up.
i think some knew that it was bad for gay people but the government now killing gay people is a huge escalation. if they are taking part in killings then those who were already beating or killing gay people are going to increase their actions since they won't fear consequences now. also didn't iran say the same thing some time back? about not having gay people. no surprise russia and iran are allies.

Amalthea

Banned
So, uh, like pre-revolution Russia?

Russia has been a horrible place for pretty much the entirety of its existence.
I know, but at least they had more worthwhile writers, composers, etc.

At least some of that survived during the Soviets for a while, but nowadays...?

moniker

Remember that video of the gay guy getting tossed off a building in the middle east that all the alt right/theDonald idiots were passing around showing how abhorrent Muslims were?

I wonder what their reaction to this is.

Chechnya is predominately Islamic though.

Maximus.

So fucked up. What the fuck is wrong with human beings. Why can't we collectively be peaceful and care for each other instead of doing sick shit like this.

All Chechens in general shouldve been given priority refugee status when the Russian army was blowing them to pieces in the late 90s and early 2000s. That war was near genocidal. So much so that Holocaust museums in the States were putting Chechnya on a "genocide watch" list.

Reviving these topics with more posts and links about this and how to help:

Unicorn Booty said:
Chechen Violence Against Gays: What Can the Rest of the World Do?
5 Aspects of Chechnya’s Anti-Gay Crackdown That No One’s Talking About

However, we have suggested some other actions people can take, and the video above suggests the following three actions:

1. Donate to the Rainbow Railroad, an organization helping gay and bi Chechens escape

2. Sign every online petition to demand politicians apply diplomatic pressure and sanctions

3. E-mail the Russian Embassy to protest at bilateralrelations@rusemb.org.uk

Also, alturi.org — an online hub for LGBTQ international information — is raising money to help evacuation efforts orchestrated by the Campaign Against Homophobia (KPH), a Polish member organization of ILGA-Europe (the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association of Europe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom