• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russia Plans To Use Prison Labor For 2018 World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.

chadskin

Russian authorities want to use prison labor to drive down the costs of holding the 2018 World Cup.

The Russian prison service is backing a bid by Alexander Khinshtein, a lawmaker from the ruling United Russia party, to allow prisoners to be taken from their camps to work at factories, with a focus on driving down the costs of building materials for World Cup projects.

"It'll help in the sense that there will be the opportunity to acquire building materials for a lower price, lower than there is currently on the market," Khinshtein told The Associated Press. "And apart from that it'll make it possible to get prisoners into work, which is very positive."
Russia's Federal Penitentiary Service has been working with Khinshtein to draw up the proposals, said the lawmaker, adding that they will be submitted to parliament soon.

The service declined to comment on the plan when contacted by the AP on Monday, but deputy director Alexander Rudy told the Kommersant business newspaper that his agency was keen to use prisoners for "tasks that, let's say, wouldn't appeal to the ordinary citizen."
When asked about the Russian plans to use prison labor, FIFA spokesperson Delia Fischer told the AP: "We have not received any information on the below mentioned plans yet and as such cannot comment for the time being."
The workers would continue to live in their prison camps and would be transported to their place of work each day. A typical wage for a prisoner on such projects might be 15,000 rubles ($300) a month, Khinshtein said.

There are no plans as yet to employ prisoners on World Cup stadium construction sites, he added.
http://news.yahoo.com/russia-plans-prison-labor-2018-world-cup-135122807.html

MUnited83

For you.
Unless the work conditions are inhuman I don't see why this is bad. Seems like good pay as well (relatively speaking of course)

baterism

I'll be lying if I never thought that all those prisoners would serve a greater purpose if they were working on infrastructure projects. As long as they get paid and working humanely and have choice to reject, I don't see a problem.
Power abuse is prone to happen, but well, power abuse always prone to happen.

baterism

There's even more of an incentive to make power abuses happen if there's a profit to be made

Yeah. Which is why we can't have nice thing. Money corrupts, there is always a chance that someone will abuse the "good idea" for their personal gain.
If I remember correctly, it has happened in the past in US. I remember watching it on NatGeo, a corrupt prison warden forced the prisoners to work and pocket the money?

Edit: I won't tell what Russian should do, they should be know better of their country than me.

Kuroyume

Banned
Maybe they should give those jobs to people who aren't in prison so that they won't have to commit crimes because they don't have jobs. That way they don't end up in prison.

KingK

Maybe they should give those jobs to people who aren't in prison so that they won't have to commit crimes because they don't have jobs. That way they don't end up in prison.
This, plus aren't people thrown in prison just for being openly gay in Russia?

I mean, i guess hypothetically i would be ok with this if the prisoners were allowed to refuse, they were fairly compensated, and had fair/safe working conditions. However i would doubt that the US, let alone Russia, would do something like this without some sleazy, inhumane, and/or corrupt shit going down.

Kurdel

Banned
this a bad thing?

Cheap labour in poor conditions and money stays in the governments hands so there is more opportunities for corruption.

Those two off the top of my head. If you can't have slave labour like Quatar, get your political dissenters and criminals to do it for you!

It's easy to be cynical when we are talking about a country that has such a heavy history with labour camps and corruption.

Carcetti

this a bad thing?

In a country with pretty much 100% corrupt government, extremely bribable police force, a history of jailing and killing people for political reasons, laws that can put people in jail simply for being homosexual? Nah, what could go wrong!

Joni

It seems beter than slave labor at first glance.
And it seems about the same pay as in the US FPI.
But they are only starting now?

In a country with pretty much 100% corrupt government, extremely bribable police force, a history of jailing and killing people for political reasons, laws that can put people in jail simply for being homosexual? Nah, what could go wrong!

That doesn't change whether they use the prisoners to build stuff or not, you know.

Chariot

I don't know, sounds not bad to me. If you have to sit in prison you might as well do some work and earn a bit of pocket money for some luxus behind the grey walls. 300 Dollar aren't that bad if you don't actually have to pay for rent or food.

Of course it remains to be seen what conditions are waiting for them while building, but in general, this seems liek a good idea.

Sakura

I don't think it is immoral to use prisoners as cheap labour, but by doing so you may be putting honest citizens out of work.

mclem

k3sI4Ps.png

Chariot

It just makes it extremely likely that government turns its political opponents into what is effectively slave labor.
Opposed to outright killing or jailing their political opponents into prison. Prisons weren't invented for the 2018 world cup.

comedian

Every country does this, in particular USA which isn't surprising considering it has the highest prison population in the world.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_Prison_Industries

In fiscal year 2008, UNICOR employed 21,836 inmates: 17% of eligible inmates held in federal prisons. Prisoners make between .23 and $1.15 per hour. The company generated US$765 million in sales. Of these revenues, 74% went toward the purchase of raw material and equipment; 20% went to staff salaries; 6% went to inmate salaries

Binabik15

Well, prisoners are better documented and less likely to simply disappear compared to the immigrant workers dying by the hundreds in Russian construction work despite never, ever having been to those sites *cough*, yes? Progress!

Carcetti

Opposed to outright killing or jailing their political opponents into prison. Prisons weren't invented for the 2018 world cup.

O rly, captain obvious. So you can't see any problem with turning prisons and prison population into a thing that becomes more and more useful the the more you have them instead? I have the same basic problem with USA's prison for profit system. Prisons should be a solution to a societal problem, not means to turn a huge profit.

Well, this wasn't a subject I expected a GAF consensus in support of. I guess people in prison deserve literally whatever they have coming to them. It's OK though, I'm sure Russia would never mistreat their forced labor.

$300 dollars a month seems to be a rather decent pay for prisoners, assuming they get to make use of it. I see absolutely nothing wrong with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom