• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Russian Cyber Hacks on U.S. Electoral System Far Wider Than Previously Known

Chumly

Considering most states are controlled by republicans. Especially the ones critical in the election they will never provide any type of information on what happened. It's not like States don't "accidentally" remove people from the voter rolls all the time. People would have been forced to potentially vote provisionally and never followed up. Honestly in states like North Carolina it would be hard to tell who removed people from the voter rolls. Russians or the GOP

*Waits for all the apologies from people who insulted everyone who called the diebold machines from 00 onwards easily hackable/shouldn't be used*

*crickets*

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
The person who knows the most about the cyber just moved into the White House. We'll finally get to the bottom of this.

ImFszlQ.jpg
His shirt says literally says he is the expert, after all.

I universally feel bad for presidential children. They just want to be normal kids :(

Vengal

Why is any of this data or software even accessibly by the internet? That shit seems crazy, closed databases that are run on a site to site basis for polling is all that should be used.

Jerm411

I've thought for a while that this entire thing was much larger, deeper, and more sinister than anyone thought...can only imagine where the rabbit hole would lead.

Wouldn't surprise me if they infected everything involving the election from top to bottom and totally engineered it to their suiting.

Scary stuff....

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I dunno, this all seems like a lot of hot air. If huge numbers of people were prevented from voting at the last minute we'd have heard at least a rumble or something about it from the 10's to 100's of thousands of people affected. Especially by now.

Legal fuckery has resulted in many people being struck from voter rolls in the past and I've never heard people up in arms about it, let alone yelling "conspiracy". It would be easy for the same thing to be done illegally and go unnoticed.
I've personally been struck from the rolls before.

Alucard725

Neo Member
Questions for everyone here:

If it's proven without a shadow of a doubt that Russia meddled and Trumps a traitor, is it World War 3? Or are we going to sanction them to death?

slit

If it's proven without a shadow of a doubt that Russia meddled and Trumps a traitor, is it World War 3? Or are we going to sanction them to death?

If proof is obtained that the Russians directly interfered with the numbers that information will most likely never see the light of day. It would cause such a constitutional crisis I don't even know how the country would survive it.

This is why digital only voting is stupid, they need to use paper that get stored afterward. But noo people love the new voting machines and they cant possibly be hacked or manipulated by anyone, come on anything is hackable. Cant hack paper. Will they learn???

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
This is the one story that Obama didn't want us to know because he didn't think our republic could survive a loss in trust in the voting process. I think he's right. I just think he's 17 years behind.

This is the one story that Obama didn't want us to know because he didn't think our republic could survive a loss in trust in the voting process. I think he's right. I just think he's 17 years behind.

Yup. Its becoming clearer and clearer why Obama was so passionate about stressing the democratic process shortly before and after the election.

nynt9

This is why digital only voting is stupid, they need to use paper that get stored afterward. But noo people love the new voting machines and they cant possibly be hacked or manipulated by anyone, come on anything is hackable. Cant hack paper. Will they learn???

Well, the Turkish elections showed that you can very much hack paper. When districts deeply under the control of the party report 10k votes for the party from a district of 2k population, when someone makes a typo and adds an additional 0 to the end of the party's vote count, and when the actual ballots conveniently get lost, you lose faith in the physical system as well. This is obviously less likely to happen in America, but it's also not foolproof. Ideally you'd vote digitally and physically simultaneously and the results would be compared for consistency.

99Luffy

Banned

Theyll still deny it and then use the ol' 'pot meet kettle' response.
Honestly after air malaysia and crimea I dont think vote meddling will come close to triggering conflict.

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Yup. Its becoming clearer and clearer why Obama was so passionate about stressing the democratic process shortly before and after the election.

What I didn't say is that I think history will judge Obama quite harshly when we discover both what happened and how much the government at large knew before the election.

watershed

Banned
One of the biggest blunders of the Obama administration was not dealing with this sooner and in a more public fashion. The whole administration miscalculated both the impact and consequences of Russian interference in the election.

benjipwns

Banned
Michigan uses paper ballots.

And it's only machine counted on first runs. And the machine produces two receipts and reads off the paper ballot. (Even will alert on overvotes, etc.)

They aren't connected to anything network wise, they're checked and confirmed, taken back to the higher level, the counts reconfirmed and checked against the paper and then finally wired in.

You could hack the voter database as that's online but it'd be pretty useless unless you deleted records entirely which someone would notice. (Michigan has open primaries, you just take the ballot you want.)

one could dream.

realistically speaking though

if i was taking a test and ended up getting the highest score on the test and later valedictorian

but someone found out i was looking at my cell phone the whole time on wikipedia, wouldn't my place get revoked?

Jarate

Banned
Michigan uses paper ballots.

And it's only machine counted on first runs. And the machine produces two receipts and reads off the paper ballot. (Even will alert on overvotes, etc.)

They aren't connected to anything network wise, they're checked and confirmed, taken back to the higher level, the counts reconfirmed and checked against the paper and then finally wired in.

You could hack the voter database as that's online but it'd be pretty useless unless you deleted records entirely which someone would notice. (Michigan has open primaries, you just take the ballot you want.)

Hacking the databases seems more involved with the data analytics and targeted advertising of the campaign more then physically changing votes.

realistically speaking though

if i was taking a test and ended up getting the highest score on the test and later valedictorian

but someone found out i was looking at my cell phone the whole time on wikipedia, wouldn't my place get revoked?

One lesson I've learned from the Trump presidency, is that there are a handful of constitutional amendments that are going to have to get passed to stop a future Trump from happening. A mechanism to redo elections is certainly in that handful.

One of the biggest blunders of the Obama administration was not dealing with this sooner and in a more public fashion. The whole administration miscalculated both the impact and consequences of Russian interference in the election.

Should they have had a press conference as soon as they found out something was happening, or should they have followed a proper investigation process?

What do you think republicans will do when confronted with said information?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1284ARxFag
I agree that that looks bad and the election official probably should have allowed a hand recount of that ward and run some diagnostic on that counter, however...

That process looks very similar to the one my county (in Iowa) uses. In my county, what's shown in the video would have been the official canvass. On Election Day, ballots are counted by the scanner as they are cast. When the polls close, the numbers are downloaded from the scanners and sent to the county office for the unofficial canvass. After allowing enough time for absentee ballots postmarked on Election Day to come in, they start the official canvass.

At the official canvass, you've got the county workers and volunteer observers on behalf of various parties/candidates. To maintain chain of custody, only the county workers are allowed to handle the ballots, the observers can only... well... observe. If the unofficial canvass and the official canvass match, but observer's click count doesn't match, I would hope they would hand count.

That said, I would tend to distrust the click count because it's error prone. Optical scan machines typically have an error rate under 0.5%. At the very least I would want to know how the undervote clicker counted undervotes, only pure undervotes, undervotes plus secondary candidates, any ballot not for a single major party candidate (overvotes.) Also, the county workers are feeding the ballots through the counter quickly. They have thousands of ballots to run, they're not going to slow down for an observer to double check a ballot for their click count.

In that video, there's also a question of what's happened before. I assume that's the county clerk saying they wouldn't hand count even if it was only five votes. She also says that the Jill Stein-affiliated observer has "disrupted" the proceedings multiple times before. "We're not going to hand count even if it's five votes" is understandable if every other time they've done the hand count against the two machine counts vs the click counts, the machine counts were found to be accurate.

Now, I'm not naive enough to think that there aren't any corrupt local election officials, but in my experience, they are by and large professional and non-partisan during tabulation. Having a partisan volunteer step in off the street and bitch about their procedures (half of which are in place because years ago some other partisan volunteer bitched about something else) has to be frustrating.

I want to know more about the refusal to do the hand count and the tossing of the 20 ballots, but if there are valid explanations for those - and there very easily could be - what's shown in the video isn't really any sort of bombshell.

benjipwns

Banned
Mr.Shrugglesツ;240856380 said:
Should they have had a press conference as soon as they found out something was happening, or should they have followed a proper investigation process?
Personally, I think Obama should have immediately ran to the nearest camera and ranted and raved about how the election was rigged and then followed it up with a bunch of 3AM tweets on the subject.

Well, the Turkish elections showed that you can very much hack paper. When districts deeply under the control of the party report 10k votes for the party from a district of 2k population, when someone makes a typo and adds an additional 0 to the end of the party's vote count, and when the actual ballots conveniently get lost, you lose faith in the physical system as well. This is obviously less likely to happen in America, but it's also not foolproof. Ideally you'd vote digitally and physically simultaneously and the results would be compared for consistency.
Yes like a scantron, my state does that. Its counted digitally but bubble in the form by hand and feed into machine.

Top Bottom