• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.Link FM - PersonaGAF Podcasting for Everyone's Souls

Status
Not open for further replies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So many Chies!

And fair enough. I just remember being massively disappointed by the anime, and that's as someone who has ostensibly finished the game three times.

I don't think anyone mentioned it. They fixed it anyways didn't they?
On the BD release, apparently.

cjkeats

So many Chies!

And fair enough. I just remember being massively disappointed by the anime, and that's as someone who has ostensibly finished the game three times.

On the BD release, apparently.

I thought it was fixed on theanimenetwork within the hour? I haven't watched it there sense.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I thought it was fixed on theanimenetwork within the hour? I haven't watched it there sense.
Would they have bothered to fix it for streaming when it was airing? I have no idea. It's not like that's the only bad looking part of the anime though. lol

Dantis

I know I should just listen to the episode, but please tell me everyone hated the Persona 4 anime. lol

*shrug*

I really enjoyed it, bar a few episodes (Loveline, for example). I also thought the fight scenes were overwhelmingly boring except for the Yosuke one.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
*shrug*

I really enjoyed it, bar a few episodes (Loveline, for example). I also thought the fight scenes were overwhelmingly boring except for the Yosuke one.
The only episode I liked was the Nanako-POV episode, because it was the one episode where they took a chance and stretched their creative muscles as it were. It probably didn't help that the tone of the series was comedic and slapsticky though.

cj_iwakura

The only episode I liked was the Nanako-POV episode, because it was the one episode where they took a chance and stretched their creative muscles as it were. It probably didn't help that the tone of the series was comedic and slapsticky though.

I thought they balanced it pretty well, and I enjoyed the humorous tone.

Devil Survivor 2 is handling the source material WAY more seriously, that's for sure.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Devil Survivor 2 is handling the source material WAY more seriously, that's for sure.

I need to start watching that again, only saw the first ep, but it's on crunchyroll and I don't really want to pay for a sub, so everything is a week behind for free members. Waiting for some more eps so I can at least catch up a bit.

Awesome new ep, I love this stuff. My understanding of the Moon arcana is that you're going through a point in your life where you have to have the courage to go forward despite only having a dim light to guide you (as opposed to the sun). Y'know, like facing the unknown maybe. Personality wise I think it means people who aren't what they seem. I think it fits for Ai and Shinjiro anyway, both are misjudged by their appearance.

And what's the deal with the Aeon arcana? Is that a real tarot card?

cj_iwakura

Awesome new ep, I love this stuff. My understanding of the Moon arcana is that you're going through a point in your life where you have to have the courage to go forward despite only having a dim light to guide you (as opposed to the sun). Y'know, like facing the unknown maybe. Personality wise I think it means people who aren't what they seem. I think it fits for Ai and Shinjiro anyway, both are misjudged by their appearance.

No. I have no idea if it's based off of anything in particular, much like Adachi's Pierrot/Jester link in P4G.

And yeah, I think my interpretation of Moon was a little off. Star is the more 'guiding light from above/religious intervention' Arcana if memory serves.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu

It replaces Judgement in the Thoth Deck.

Ah I see, they're renamed cards in a different deck. Universe and Lust are also there, no Jester though. I guess it's just a play on the Fool.

EDIT: Does anyone have the P3 design works? I'm curious if it explains Caesar's design.

Dantis

Just finished listening. Really great episode. You guys are awesome.

EDIT: Does anyone have the P3 design works? I'm curious if it explains Caesar's design.

Here's the quote from Soejima 'Caesar represents the power Sanada eventually gains, as well as the maturity to consider how that power should be used.'.

I have a few of my own thoughts, but I don't have time to post them right now. Will do later.

Levito

Banned
Wow the thread is a lot more active this episode than the past couple, awesome!

I should've been more awake when recording, my question about the Personas based on mythical figures rubbing off on the art direction made no sense. hahaha

Also, if you guys could share the podcast we'd greatly appreciate it.

I've updated the OT with the new episode link - thanks Levito and cj_iwakura for the episode image and site update, looks great!

And yes, please tell your friends about this podcast - our guests have been wonderfully informative, definitely a good listen!

As for me, I'm going to spraypaint jello's car with "SLINKFM.COM" because he gave me permission.

Marche90

Huh... Levito, you might want to fix this...:

n1NQbQF.png

Also, I still haven't listened to the podcast, but can't wait to do so.

What's the pocast' next theme, btw?

Levito

Banned
The next episode will be part 1 of Arena talk, more specifically we'd like to get competitive fighting game legend Dacidbro on about Arena's competitive fighting scene.

Huh... Levito, you might want to fix this...:

I forgot to update the about page before I went out last night, thanks for the heads up.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
PERSONA 4 ARENA

I'm gonna listen tonight, guys! Can't wait.

Hmm

Wonder when recording for this is because I'm on call starting Friday until the Thursday after. I don't expect anything to happen, but there is that chance.

Levito

Banned
Just submitted the show to itunes for real this time, should be up in the next 24 hours on the itunes store.

I gotta say; recording this episode with people who were obviously several times more competent and qualified than me was daunting, but I had a blast. I'd love to do it again some day, if you'll have me.

Levito

Banned
You are far more qualifed than I to speak on things like philosophy Scrafty, def want you back at some point.

thatsourlevito.jpeg

Hey HEY, there are only so many hours in a... month. :p

Wow this episode is getting a ton more hits than the last couple, I shared it on r/Megaten and r/atlus but someone keeps sharing it on 4chan too. THEM HITS WE NEEDS THEM PRECIOUS.

Hey Levito; I need to ask a huge favor of you. I've got a very good friend who's a huge fan of the Persona series, but whose GAF account has been in a state of unapproved limbo for over a year. Is it at all possible in any way that he could get a spot in an upcoming episode? He loves the podcast, and would be willing to do any episode in which you have space.

Thanks!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That social links are about relationships, romance is totally optional, only accounts for about 5% of the game anyway, and calling Persona a "dating sim" is a silly thing that's caught on :)
It's probably the closest thing to an officially released dating sim in contemporary gaming anyway, and of course the press already hates Japanese games, so it's easy to latch on to it I guess. :p

Atlus games are good at showcasing characters of varying sexualities, but still have a way to go in terms of not falling into stereotypes. (But hey, it's a start.)
I still find the whole Kanji is gay, Naoto must be trans thing kind of problematic though, if only because certain advocates for this interpretation insist upon it as if the alternative isn't even a possibility. I suppose I see Golden as a confirmation of what they've always felt about Kanji and Naoto and not some kind of retcon of the characters anyway.
That said, I hope Atlus just goes for it in Persona 5 and just do it like they did in Persona 2, but I suppose it depends if they're still trying to please otaku/fujyoshi or not. (Who am I kidding, of course they're going to try to please them. lol)

I should probably go back and listen to the last three episodes. lol

Levito

Banned
Hey Levito; I need to ask a huge favor of you. I've got a very good friend who's a huge fan of the Persona series, but whose GAF account has been in a state of unapproved limbo for over a year. Is it at all possible in any way that he could get a spot in an upcoming episode? He loves the podcast, and would be willing to do any episode in which you have space.

Thanks!

Yeah that's probably a doable, tell him thanks for listening!

I still find the whole Kanji is gay, Naoto must be trans thing kind of problematic thoughl

That's not the stance any of us took, I'd give the episode a listen. It was one of our best yet. ;)

Squire

Banned
It's probably the closest thing to an officially released dating sim in contemporary gaming anyway, and of course the press already hates Japanese games, so it's easy to latch on to it I guess. :p

I don't see how when it's a such a minuscule portion of the game. Dialogue choices/conversations are in a ton of RPGs. You don't do much more dating in Persona then you do in Mass Effect, but no one calls ME a dating sim.

cj_iwakura

That would be Hakuoki, which is a visual novel/dating sim, or Sakura Wars as the next closest thing(visual novel/SRPG).

firehawk12

Subete no aware
That would be Hakuoki, which is a visual novel/dating sim, or Sakura Wars as the next closest thing(visual novel/SRPG).
Man, I finished Hakuoki and I forgot all about it. But, I dunno, for a genre that is already ignored here, an otome game is basically anathema here. But I take your point. lol

I mean, there's also Katawa Shoujo, the Love Plus translation, the Tokimemo Girls Side translations, and so forth. But Persona is the thing that resembles a dating sim enough to at least get mainstream coverage in the press (beyond let's laugh at the guy who married his DS anyway).

I don't see how when it's a such a minuscule portion of the game. Dialogue choices/conversations are in a ton of RPGs. You don't do much more dating in Persona then you do in Mass Effect, but no one calls ME a dating sim.
Well, Persona 3 and Golden had the date events that are sort of in the vein of Tokimemo. And hearing a lot of the press talk about how they're fans of Tali or whomever, I think of ME as a dating sim. They're just afraid to admit it to themselves. lol

That's not the stance any of us took, I'd give the episode a listen. It was one of our best yet. ;)
That's fair enough. lol

It really isn't.
They approximate the dating sim gameplay cycle pretty well though. Specifically the time management aspects of dating sims.

PK Gaming

Really enjoyed this episode

I learned a lot of fascinating things about the SMT series.

PS:
Scrafty, your voice is totally normal dude!

Squire

Banned
Well, Persona 3 and Golden had the date events that are sort of in the vein of Tokimemo. And hearing a lot of the press talk about how they're fans of Tali or whomever, I think of ME as a dating sim. They're just afraid to admit it to themselves. lol

As someone who writes for a site, I have to say you have some warped perceptions about how the press feels about games.

Levito

Banned
So, the next episode we'd like to do is the episode will be on the competitive fighting scene in P4: Arena, who'd be interested in joining that discussion?

Dacidbro will be joining us for that one, very exciting!

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
So, the next episode we'd like to do is the episode will be on the competitive fighting scene in P4: Arena, who'd be interested in joining that discussion?

I'll be in for the story mode/general feelings cast.

Also, in regards to the dating sim/Mass Effect thing. Mass Effect has pretty explicit scenes regarding the "dating" aspect, whereas P3/4 just fades to black and says "You've spent a long time with x" which.. well could be anything, to your interpretation.

The Witcher, Fable, Dragon Age also have these elements.

Yeah that's probably a doable, tell him thanks for listening!

Thanks, Levito. You're the best.

Around.

Nothin's gonna ever keep you down.

PS: He said he'd be willing to go anywhere he can fit, but he doesn't know much about Arena. What are your plans for future episodes?

Really enjoyed this episode

I learned a lot of fascinating things about the SMT series.

PS:
Scrafty, your voice is totally normal dude!

<3

You need to get in on one of these, buddy. I want to hear your opinion/discuss it with you!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
As someone who writes for a site, I have to say you have some warped perceptions about how the press feels about games.
I'll be honest, I only follow the big places that essentially get quoted here and their corresponding podcasts.

With Jeremy Parish leaving IGN, I suppose that basically leaves Kotaku... which is the gaming equivalent of Sankaku Complex, posting things about "Japan" that are more clickbait than actual stories.
(Dragon's Crown looking like it was designed by a 14 year old boy is a perfect recent example, let alone all the Ashcraft stuff)

Levito

Banned
We've decided to change the show format a little, going to be taking out the song that plays us our at the end.

That said, we'd still really like something to play us off at the end of each show. Any talented musicians out there willing to lend a hand?

Squire

Banned

I pre-ordered my seat :)

I'll be in for the story mode/general feelings cast.

Also, in regards to the dating sim/Mass Effect thing. Mass Effect has pretty explicit scenes regarding the "dating" aspect, whereas P3/4 just fades to black and says "You've spent a long time with x" which.. well could be anything, to your interpretation.

The Witcher, Fable, Dragon Age also have these elements.

Exactly. And none of them are dating sims. In a dating sim - by definition - you date, but that's all you do. That isn't the case with any of these games. Talking with party members you have an entirely plutonic relationship with =/= dating sim.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom