• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S______L for PS5 to be revealed soon (The dedicated blueballs/Kojima 'conspiracy' thread)

Is this new Silent Hill real or fake?

• Real

Votes: 330 44.6%
  • Fake

Votes: 410 55.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ParaSeoul

Hi there, UE4 developer with 5 years of experience here... might I ask what the hell you’re talking about mate?

Do you think you need to write shaders from scratch to render a mesh in a modern engine?
Lol, have you even used an engine? Unreal comes with a default shader class, you can literally drag and drop your textures, drop them into a default material, and apply them to your mesh and bam rendered in engine. Heck UE4 even automatically does that for you when you import a new mesh with textures pre applied in the modelling software, you only gotta fix them up in case you have textures woth transparency like hair textures since it makes all material opaque by default (opaque means no transparency channel because a shader with transparency is more expensive so you want to limit their number).

So please help me understand what are you talking about, because maybe I don’t have the keen eye of an artist, but when I look at that teaser I really don’t see anything more complex than a default material with textures applied.
iguilXd.jpg

jigglet

Banned
It's funny cause I remember back when SH came out it was considered a B tier game. Obviously history has been very kind on it.

I've only ever played one. I enjoyed it. I think it was #1 or 2.

I'd play a new one sure. I'm not great with horror though, I'm chicken shit.

onesvenus

Because streaming in mega textures is impressive tech.
1. We don't know which resolution those textures are to call them mega
2. I'm sure textures are not being streamed at all in that scene, there's no way it doesn't load all things it need before starting

It's amazing how you ask for proof of other games doing something similar but you don't give any to back your claims

bitbydeath

Gold Member
1. We don't know which resolution those textures are to call them mega
2. I'm sure textures are not being streamed at all in that scene, there's no way it doesn't load all things it need before starting

It's amazing how you ask for proof of other games doing something similar but you don't give any to back your claims
1. It shows signs of infinite detail by not blurring when zoomed in unlike other 4K titles.
2. If greater than 4K it would be streamed.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
It's funny cause I remember back when SH came out it was considered a B tier game. Obviously history has been very kind on it.

That isn't true. Everything about it was superior to the RE games at the time. Story, graphics, music, and especially the controls. No tank controls in SH, baby. And SH2 and SH3 were some of the absolute a best looking games on PS2 as well.

Maybe abandoned app is actually the new playstation home
Cuz I remember sony renewed playstation home trademark back on April I think
And also the abandoned trailer got released back on April too 🤔
This makes zero sense. Think about it. What have we seen that looks anything like PlayStation home?
why, why, why would Sony ever reveal a virtual environment in this idiotic way?

Last edited:

GrayChild

That was never the case, unless for the Resident Evil diehards.

Between Resident Evil becoming more and more action oriented and the infamous Capcom 5 which made the series GameCube exclusive for several years there was a period where Silent Hill was just as big as RE itself.

jigglet

Banned

Between Resident Evil becoming more and more action oriented and the infamous Capcom 5 which made the series GameCube exclusive for several years there was a period where Silent Hill was just as big as RE itself.

Yeah but you're comparing it to RE. I'm talking about in general. I don't remember it being regarded as a top tier sort of franchise up there with the very best.

Maybe it was though. I'm not really in a position to argue this strongly as I've only played one.

bitbydeath

Gold Member
What program are you opening the textures in to zoom in? Because you couldn't possibly be thinking that zooming in on a captured photo is telling you anything about the resolvable resolution of a texture.
Krita. It says a lot about texture density. What are you using?

Last edited:

Badlucktroll

Gold Member

I hope we return to those years.
tenor.gif

onesvenus

1. It shows signs of infinite detail by not blurring when zoomed in unlike other 4K titles.
2. If greater than 4K it would be streamed.

1. There's no such thing as infinite detail unless it's a procedural texture. We won't know until we play it
2. A 4k texture is less than 64MB, can you tell me why you'd need to stream textures bigger than that when consoles have multiple GB available? We are only seeing a model and simple floor geometry, I don't think that adds up to multiple GBs of data.

ParaSeoul

All this armchair technical analysis is making me hope Digital Foundry actually look at it on their streams,someone here who can submit it maybe through their backer stuff make that happen please.

GuinGuin

Banned
Yeah but you're comparing it to RE. I'm talking about in general. I don't remember it being regarded as a top tier sort of franchise up there with the very best.

Maybe it was though. I'm not really in a position to argue this strongly as I've only played one.

It's all subjective of course but the Japanese made SH games 1-4 I think are still the best ever made. Akira Yamaoka is an absolute musical genius and they take the idea of horror seriously and philosophically.

MastaKiiLA

All this armchair technical analysis is making me hope Digital Foundry actually look at it on their streams,someone here who can submit it maybe through their backer stuff make that happen please.
While it would be an incredibly quick video to make, seems like an immense waste of time for such a short clip. There should be a longer trailer not far around the corner. Might as well wait for that, and then maybe do a breakdown of the short teaser as well. I don't know if there's much they can do with the teaser that doesn't involve gamma correction, which would just thrash what little visual data there is.

ParaSeoul

While it would be an incredibly quick video to make, seems like an immense waste of time for such a short clip. There should be a longer trailer not far around the corner. Might as well wait for that, and then maybe do a breakdown of the short teaser as well. I don't know if there's much they can do with the teaser that doesn't involve gamma correction, which would just thrash what little visual data there is.
You don't seem to understand. They wouldn't make a vid on it,it would just be a part of their stream. They do that for smaller things sometimes.

GrayChild

What is the significance of this?

The hex color code of 204863 (probably the most famous easter egg in P.T. referencing Kojima's birthday) is a dark shade of blue.

The process color (four color CMYK) of #204863 color hex is 0.68, 0.27, 0.00, 0.61. Web safe color of #204863 is #333366. Color #204863 contains mainly BLUE color.

Last edited:

GuinGuin

Banned
In 2021 the painting was exhibited from June through September with the trimmed-off sections recreated using convolutional neural networks, an artificial intelligence (AI) algorithm, based on the copy by Lundens.[9] The recreation corrected for perspective (Lundens must have been sitting on the left side of the painting when he made his copy), and used colours and brush-strokes as used by Rembrandt. The trimming of the painting put the lieutenants in the centre, but the original placed them off-centre, marching towards an empty space now reinstated, creating a dynamic of the troops marching towards the left of the painting. The cutdown painting by Rembrandt with the AI recreation of the missing portions attached was placed on exhibition for three months. The augmented painting will not be on permanent display so as not to "trick" viewers into thinking they were seeing the full original; the augmentations are a scientific, rather than an artist's, interpretation

Lundens, Ludens...

ParaSeoul

In 2021 the painting was exhibited from June through September with the trimmed-off sections recreated using convolutional neural networks, an artificial intelligence (AI) algorithm, based on the copy by Lundens.[9] The recreation corrected for perspective (Lundens must have been sitting on the left side of the painting when he made his copy), and used colours and brush-strokes as used by Rembrandt. The trimming of the painting put the lieutenants in the centre, but the original placed them off-centre, marching towards an empty space now reinstated, creating a dynamic of the troops marching towards the left of the painting. The cutdown painting by Rembrandt with the AI recreation of the missing portions attached was placed on exhibition for three months. The augmented painting will not be on permanent display so as not to "trick" viewers into thinking they were seeing the full original; the augmentations are a scientific, rather than an artist's, interpretation

Lundens, Ludens...
Stop.

trikster40

Also, earlier today some guys at the Blue box conspiracy Reddit posted this screenshot from Mass Effect:

E81HOPKVUAU0N9Z

Of course, this was seen as quite the stretch. But just a couple of minutes ago Kojima tweeted this:

Dude. What if Blue Box ends up being Sony’s solution to backwards compatability? They’ve got an AI that can go back and fix “abandoned” games? Better graphics, resolution, etc?

Is there any chance that there’s a scene in the original Silent Hill or SH2 that matches the scene in the teaser?
Just let me dream.

Last edited:
Top Bottom