• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

Emitan

zZ0nkde.jpg

Oh my god this pic is amazing. Can't wait to get to that episode.

MikeMyers

Sailor Moon has her original tiara and choker, so that should tell you that it's not from the S movie.

It's from the end of episode 43 (38 dubbed) of the original season.

You're a better fan than I am! I do think Rei/Usagi did a tounge thing in the film though.

Trying to go to Anime Expo to meet the dub cast.

You're a better fan than I am! I do think Rei/Usagi did a tounge thing in the film though.

Trying to go to Anime Expo to meet the dub cast.

I just checked the three movies real quick just in case, but I didn't see anything. I don't think they even get into a fight/argument in any of the movies.

The scene does appear in the Make Up! Sailor Senshi short included with the R movie, though.

Anime Expo is getting the dub cast back together?

Yup, yup.

That's amazing.

First time going to anime convention, will try to get them to sign the manga. They dont charge or anything right?

If it's a part of the panel, or in the program as official signing, then more than likely they won't charge.

If they're lets say hanging in the dealer room and have a booth, then they probably would charge.

Also wow, Con virgin? I went to my first convention 14 years go. Making me feel old :p

Take pictures! We must see :p

As for the signings, make sure you go early. I've never been to AX, but I've been to Otakon multiple times and they are similar in the sense they're the largest con on each coast. So don't plan on doing too much, there's too many people and too much going on to manage it all.

Make sure you're there quite early for each of the events you need to see, such as the Sailor Moon panels, and even earlier in line for the autographs.

Cheerilee

First time going to anime convention, will try to get them to sign the manga. They dont charge or anything right?

When I went to Anime Revolution in Vancouver, they charged $50 for a three-day pass, and you could buy signed photos of the voice actors for $10 (this also came with a warm handshake, and the VA's wanting to know something about you, personally). Signing other items cost $5. You could also get a professional photo taken with them for $30 (no hoverhand, be a man!). In hindsight, I regret not taking a photo with Sugar.

Autographs at conventions normally cost more or less depending on what the guest was paid to appear.

I really didn't want to miss Terri Hawkes' autograph signing, and there was a delay, so I kept my spot in line, which cost me an opportunity to go see Sugar's panel. But then I heard from others that the room was packed and a lot of people didn't get in to see it, so I'm glad that I didn't abandon my place in the Terri Hawkes line, otherwise I might have missed both.

Basically, when you get the schedule, figure out who is going to be where and when, and make sure you get in line early for the things you consider important. When there's nothing big coming up, that's the time to explore.

cj_iwakura

I was just watching that earlier. Hah. Wasn't sure if I should post it or not.

Not feeling the vocals at all. Too much sugar.
(Yeah, I realize that's kind of obligatory, but the originals seemed more appropriate.)

I am feeling the La Soldier remix. Best song, great shredding.

They effed up Stars, big time.

Sheesh, 2800Y for that? Nope.

By association: someone dubbed Stars. Adhering to the DiC script.

That's a hell-worthy trespass.

Justin? What in the fresh hell?

I think I watched the first episode of that dub when they first released it, like...two or three years ago? I don't even know how long it's been, but they haven't released very many episodes, last I checked.

I don't know why anyone would want to make a DiC-style Sailor Stars dub, though...but I guess some people are attached to that version. Heh.

They also did dubs of the SuperS shorts...or at least one of them, anyway.

Man, all of the conventions I went to were pretty boring.

But they were also free, so...I guess I can't complain. Hah.

After Akon I stopped going for a very long time. This past year I went to San Japan but that's because I worked 2 out of the 3 days at our booth. Saw some Sailor Senshi cosplayers though, they were kinda cute >_>

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
As for the signings, make sure you go early. I've never been to AX, but I've been to Otakon multiple times and they are similar in the sense they're the largest con on each coast. So don't plan on doing too much, there's too many people and too much going on to manage it all.

Make sure you're there quite early for each of the events you need to see, such as the Sailor Moon panels, and even earlier in line for the autographs.
I went to AX last year (and am going back this year!), but the autograph lines were fucking nuts. They're in the same room as all the dealers, so uh, prepare to stand. I waited in line like ~2 hours in the sun to get in on the first day of the con last year. But it was worth it since I got VIP passes to go to the Shinkai signing!

I went to AX last year (and am going back this year!), but the autograph lines were fucking nuts. They're in the same room as all the dealers, so uh, prepare to stand. I waited in line like ~2 hours in the sun to get in on the first day of the con last year. But it was worth it since I got VIP passes to go to the Shinkai signing!

Yeah, Otakon's lines are about this bad too now. Glad you got what you wanted though!

Make sure to bring a 3DS/Vita/whatever to keep you occupied Mike if you're gonna wait for these.

It looks like Anime Expo won't be the only convention this year with Sailor Moon dub actors: Sailor Moon voice actors Toby Proctor, Linda Ballantyne, Katie Griffin and Susan Roman to appear at Kami-Con in Alabama February 14th to the 16th

Also, here's some great fan art:

Image source.

That's excellent fanart. Prince Diamond is awesome.
I cosplayed as him once ;P

I wonder why all of a sudden the Sailor Moon VAs are deciding to con tour. Maybe when they realized they could get paid and tour the country a bit after AX summoned them, that they could get some Adventure now.

cj_iwakura

20th anniversary hype I assume.

Going to Animate Miami later. I'm sure there will be SM stuff, so I'll get pictures of the inevitable cosplay.

Conan-san

Not feeling the vocals at all. Too much sugar.
(Yeah, I realize that's kind of obligatory, but the originals seemed more appropriate.)

I am feeling the La Soldier remix. Best song, great shredding.

They effed up Stars, big time.

Sheesh, 2800Y for that? Nope.

By association: someone dubbed Stars. Adhering to the DiC script.

That's a hell-worthy trespass.

Justin? What in the fresh hell?
That album is clearly lacking in Jam Project and Moon Revenge.

Amalthea

Banned
So after getting the PAL SNES Sailor Moon game and beating that piece of doo-doo I'm curious if any of the Super Famicom games are good? Plz help me.

So after getting the PAL SNES Sailor Moon game and beating that piece of doo-doo I'm curious if any of the Super Famicom games are good? Plz help me.

I guess that depends on your opinion of "good." I thought that one was okay. I wouldn't call it a bad game, but it's a bit slow-paced for a beat 'em up. R is supposed to be better, though. The MegaDrive beat 'em up easily beats both, even if it lacks multiplayer. It's way faster, has more attacks and mechanics, has all four of the Shittenou as bosses, and also has Queen Metallia as the final boss on Hard mode. It's a bit expensive, though, but I think it's the best console Sailor Moon game. The arcade game is great, too.

Anyway, back to Super Famicom games...the S fighting game is supposedly good, and looks like it might be fun with friends. Not sure about the SuperS fighter...but it looks similar, though it goes for quite a bit more in price. The S fighter can be found pretty cheap. The S fighter and the MegaDrive game were supposedly co-developed by Arc System Works of Guilty Gear and BlazBlue fame, by the way. They certainly feel like it, since they're really fast paced and have lots of dashing around the screen. Hah.

Everyone seems to like Another Story, but you'll need to know Japanese to play that, unless you play an English-patched version on an emulator. There's also Panic In Nakayoshi World, which has Sailor Moon as a playable character. It seems okay, I guess.
There's also, like...three or four puzzle games, I think? Not sure. I tried them out, but I couldn't figure anything out myself. They're all pretty cheap in price.

Oh, I'm trying to collect the games myself, but I only have two so far...

I want to get R and S. Not sure if I'll get any others yet.

Speaking of anime games, I'm actually playing one right now...the InuYasha fighting game for the PlayStation. Hah.

Cheerilee

There's also, like...three or four puzzle games, I think? Not sure. I tried them out, but I couldn't figure anything out myself. They're all pretty cheap in price.

I think I played two of the puzzle games. They were both pretty much the same game. I figured them out in an afternoon and was able to beat the CPU player consistently. I never tried playing against a human.

They were puzzle games. They worked. They were no Tetris. The only reason to bother is the Sailormoon wrappings. IIRC, you had a little animated sprite in the corner who would cheer when you won, and look sad when you lost, so the meat of the game was > pick a new character > win some > deliberately lose some > repeat. I'm sure somebody has ripped the sprites by this point.

AFAIK, Another Story is the only game to have any positive expectations for. The rest are just collectibles.

The sprites are pretty cute in those. Not as cute as the arcade quiz game sprites, though.

ibivhN0mf87muk.gif

AFAIK, Another Story is the only game to have any positive expectations for. The rest are just collectibles.

I like the MegaDrive and arcade games a lot. The Super Famicom games...eh, not so much. Some are okay. But yeah, since the question was about Super Famicom games, you're basically right.

Well, it's a French PAL release. France was one of the first countries outside of Japan to get the series. It started airing in December of 1993, while the SNES was still one of the main consoles, so it made sense to release it there, since I think the show was doing well. The PAL game release was in 1994. The Japanese release for the game was in 1993, so it wasn't released all that long afterwards.

America didn't get Sailor Moon until 1995 or 1996, and it was doing poorly in syndication. So poorly, that DiC didn't finish dubbing R until after it got big on Cartoon Network around 1998~1999. By then, releasing new SNES games didn't make sense. All we ever got was The 3D Adventures of Sailor Moon for PC.

Cheerilee

Well, it's a French PAL release. France was one of the first countries outside of Japan to get the series. It started airing in December of 1993, while the SNES was still one of the main consoles, so it made sense to release it there, since I think the show was doing well. The PAL game release was in 1994. The Japanese release for the game was in 1993, so it wasn't released all that long afterwards.

America didn't get Sailor Moon until 1995 or 1996, and it was doing poorly in syndication. So poorly, that DiC didn't finish dubbing R until after it got big on Cartoon Network around 1998~1999. By then, releasing new SNES games didn't make sense. All we ever got was The 3D Adventures of Sailor Moon for PC.

Nah, DiC just sucked. They bought the rights to the series, produced just enough episodes to qualify for syndication, and then sold the merchandising rights. The low ratings in America might have contributed to DiC's lack of anything, but DiC had no more interest in the series after they sucked the money out of the most lucrative part (the merchandising).

The last 17 episodes of R weren't funded by DiC after the show got ratings on the Cartoon Network, they were funded by a Canadian toy company and a Canadian TV station who thought that the ratings and toy sales in Canada could use a shot in the arm, and had given up on waiting for DiC to deliver it.

After the Cartoon Network acquired the reruns, DiC still allowed their license to expire, at which point Cloverway snapped them up and immediately produced two entire seasons.

The SNES games could have worked as part of DiC's initial merchandising blitz. The SNES redesign came out in 97, and there were a number of big games coming out late on the system, like the Donkey Kong Country series (although those were late, and earlier would have been better). But I think what killed the games' chances in America was that DiC didn't own any of the existing game rights, they just had the "Sailor Moon" franchise rights. Bandai owned the rights to the games they made. DiC wasn't going to buy games just so that they could sell them, not when they can sell someone the rights to make new games (which they did).

zeopower6

Ah, I own a lot of those Irwin Toys. I remember when they released the outers as weird names before they were Amara/Michelle/Trista. I also had the 3D Adventures, ahhhh.

Top Bottom