• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sailor Moon Community Thread: She Blinded Me With Science!

zeopower6

They really were.

They could never get her hair right because it was an odd shape, so it looked like it popped out of the 70s/80s. lol. Even the Japanese dolls (セーラーマーキュリー ドール) looked odd.

Thank goodness we have SH Figuarts now. WAITING FOR A RERELEASE OF THE STAR POWER STICKS/CRYSTAL CHANGE RODS. (well maybe not the Star ones since they released those nail polish things that are pretty much the sticks)

<3 <3 <3
GqR4oBe.jpg

The Figuart should still be around when the show starts up. It's a bit harder to find SuFami carts, lol.

Yeah, but there's that limited first shipment with the extra wink and crying faces. I'm scared of missing out! Only one listing on Amazon specifically states that it includes those.

But...I can get a complete copy of Sailor Moon S, though...and it ships from nearby...hmm...bah! I wish I had more money. Hah.

Yeah, but there's that limited first shipment with the extra wink and crying faces. I'm scared of missing out! Only one listing on Amazon specifically states that it includes those.

But...I can get a complete copy of Sailor Moon S, though...and it ships from nearby...hmm...bah! I wish I had more money. Hah.

Get the SH Figuarts.. no really, it's great. I have Moon and Mercury so far, and Mars is lined up and ready to go for me when it arrives at my local comic store.

jbug617

Banned
Good news for people in France

Following the successful DVD release of the first season of the Sailor Moon series (46 episodes), Kazé acquired the DVD rights for the two following series.

Kazé will release in all the French-speaking European countries Sailor Moon R (42 episodes) and Sailor Moon S (37 episodes) in DVD in the original version subtitled in French and with the French dubbed version as well.

http://www.toei-animation.com/en/node/1360

cj_iwakura

How were the French dubs?

Three episodes left of PGSM. It's really all over the place now. Some episodes were great, some were just plain weird.

I tried out SuperS again yesterday, and it was actually a lot of fun. S is supposed to be better, though, at least at competitive levels, according to what I've read on Shoryuken.com. People there seem to like S.

cj_iwakura

I tried out SuperS again yesterday, and it was actually a lot of fun. S is supposed to be better, though, at least at competitive levels, according to what I've read on Shoryuken.com. People there seem to like S.

Oh, I agree from what I'm seeing here. But Super S is so hilariously awful. You do a super, you win. S looks a lot more competitive.

Shame about the music. Super S actually has a nice OST.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=236UkkKTfjY

I was actually referring to the Super Famicom SuperS, which is basically a revision of S, not Various Emotion. The latter looks so horrible. The former is playable, but a bit unbalanced compared to S.

zeopower6

The PS1 game is not the same as the fighting games available for the SFC~

I wish they hadn't made that one in 3D tbh. >_> It was basically like Final Bout but maybe... worse...

Oh, the only SFC game I played was the beat'em'up, and the GB game which I have a fan translation of, but to my knowledge it didn't get released yet.

I tried playing the GameBoy games years ago, but I couldn't get very far, since I couldn't read anything in it. Hah. They're really not import friendly, especially compared to most of the rest of the Sailor Moon games. I might try out that fan translation someday. I've read about it before. I'll have to check if it's out.

Since we were talking about the fighters, there are actually four official Sailor Moon fighting games:

-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen (Super Famicom)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Zenin Sanka!! Shuyaku Soudatsusen (Super Famicom)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S/Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (3DO)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Various Emotion (PlayStation and Saturn)

The first two are playable and pretty fun, with the first one being the more balanced game. Uranus has an infinite combo, but it's hard to pull outside of very specific situations. The second one nerfed the Inners, replaced some good moves with not so good ones, and added Saturn, which is supposedly a bit overpowered.

The last two games are supposed to be bad. The 3DO one at least has nice graphics, though. Various Emotion is just...ugly.

Arc System Works co-developed the first Super Famicom fighter with Angel. The rest were made by Angel on their own, with SuperS basically being a revision of S, as they used the same gameplay mechanics. I'd love to see Arc System Works make a new game now that they're more experienced with stuff like Guilty Gear, BlazBlue, and Persona 4 Arena.

I'd also love a Sailor Moon Musou, but that's something completely different. Hah.

Anyway, I think the best existing Sailor Moon video games are probably the arcade beat 'em up game, the MegaDrive game, Another Story, and S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen.

There was one other arcade game, but it's a quiz game...but one with incredibly adorable sprites.

cj_iwakura

I tried playing the GameBoy games years ago, but I couldn't get very far, since I couldn't read anything in it. Hah. They're really not import friendly, especially compared to most of the rest of the Sailor Moon games. I might try out that fan translation someday. I've read about it before. I'll have to check if it's out.

Since we were talking about the fighters, there are actually four official Sailor Moon fighting games:

-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen (Super Famicom)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Zenin Sanka!! Shuyaku Soudatsusen (Super Famicom)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon S/Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon (3DO)
-Bishoujo Senshi Sailor Moon SuperS: Various Emotion (PlayStation and Saturn)

The first two are playable and pretty fun, with the first one being the more balanced games. Uranus has an infinite combo, but it's hard to pull outside of very specific situations. The second one nerfed the Inners, replaced some good moves with not so good ones, and added Saturn, which is supposedly a bit overpowered.

The last two games are supposed to be bad. The 3DO one at least has nice graphics, though. Various Emotion is just...ugly.

Anyway, I think the best Sailor Moon video games are probably the arcade beat 'em up game, the MegaDrive game, Another Story, and S: Jougai Rantou!? Shuyaku Soudatsusen.

There was one other arcade game, but it's a quiz game...but one with incredibly adorable sprites.

Interesting. How was La Luna Splende received? Was kind of tempted to import it.

Is it okay to share GB emulation stuff?
I can find the files I have for the unfinished version if I'm allowed to.

zeopower6

I played a lot of the puzzle games when I was a kid.

Another Story, the balloon popping one, and the one with the blocks made my childhood, lol. I also played that Nakayoshi one with a ton of shoujo manga characters + Sailor Moon in it.

You know, with the new anime coming up.... I wonder if they'll have any games planned? (PLEASE)

Interesting. How was La Luna Splende received? Was kind of tempted to import it.

Is it okay to share GB emulation stuff?
I can find the files I have for the unfinished version if I'm allowed to.

It was not very well received, from what I remember seeing a few years ago. The whole game feels like it was something else that was unreleased that added in Sailor Moon characters at the last moment to sell copies in Italy.
It's a simple puzzle platformer. It looks like it might be interesting to play, but I can't say for sure. You can probably find some impressions online.

No, I'm pretty sure that sharing emulation stuff is against the rules.

I played a lot of the puzzle games when I was a kid.

Another Story, the balloon popping one, and the one with the blocks made my childhood, lol. I also played that Nakayoshi one with a ton of shoujo manga characters + Sailor Moon in it.

You know, with the new anime coming up.... I wonder if they'll have any games planned? (PLEASE)

I could never really figure out the puzzle games...and there's quite a few of them. Maybe I'll look up some rules and try them again.

Oh, yeah, Nakayoshi seemed neat. I need to play that again.

There's actually two Nakayoshi games; one for the Famicom, which is an RPG, and the Super Famicom game, which is...well, I don't know how to explain the game, but I guess the closest thing would be...maybe, Bomberman? But without bombs and stuff. It's a hard game to describe.

I'm also really hoping for new games. I really want a Sailor Moon Musou game. Hah. I know Namco Bandai games last had the rights, but all we got was La Luna Splende...well, Italy got it, anyway. We got nothing. Again.

cj_iwakura

It was not very well received, from what I remember seeing a few years ago. The whole game feels like it was something else that was unreleased that added in Sailor Moon characters at the last moment to sell copies in Italy.
It's a simple puzzle platformer. It looks like it might be interesting to play, but I can't say for sure. You can probably find some impressions online.

No, I'm pretty sure that sharing emulation stuff is against the rules.

I figured, but part of me hoped GB was so obscure it was past some sort of statute of limitations. :p

Let me know if you have any luck.

cj_iwakura

Well, didn't expect this DVD to include the silly Japanese commercials pimping their merchandise weapon toys.

Or one for Magna Carta: Tears of Blood and Summon Night: Swordcraft Story 2.

cj_iwakura

Don't know why I put it off for so long(okay yes I do), but PGSM is finally done. Well, except Special Act, it's not on the set I have.

It had a nice ending, but so much of the show is just plain bad that it's really hard for the good stuff to shine. Maybe if it didn't have the ridiculous sentai fights or Sailor Luna or the fricking plushie cats.

Also, what they did to Minako(on many levels) was blasphemy, even if it made for a better character, I guess.

There's a store at this flea market I'm at that has a loose Sailor Moon doll. I didn't ask for the price. She's missing her gloves and wand. :/

Does anyone know if any non-First Edition Sailor Moon S.H. Figuarts exist yet? The one Amazon seller that specifically mentioned that it came with the extra parts recently restocked on the figure, so I'm no longer certain that I'll be getting the First Edition. I can't seem to find anything online about whether or not the "regular" release exists yet. This is keeping me from placing my order...well, that, and general indecisiveness about what order with all of my Amazon credit. Hah.

Anyway, here's something nice: Girl Receives Sweet Visit from Sailor Moon Cosplayers

Also, I made a new Sailor Moon-themed Tumblr page if anyone is interested. I've rarely ever used Tumblr before, but I might update this every now and then, unlike my other one.

Does anyone know if any non-First Edition Sailor Moon S.H. Figuarts exist yet? The one Amazon seller that specifically mentioned that it came with the extra parts recently restocked on the figure, so I'm no longer certain that I'll be getting the First Edition. I can't seem to find anything online about whether or not the "regular" release exists yet. This is keeping me from placing my order...well, that, and general indecisiveness about what order with all of my Amazon credit. Hah.

Anyway, here's something nice: Girl Receives Sweet Visit from Sailor Moon Cosplayers

Also, I made a new Sailor Moon-themed Tumblr page if anyone is interested. I've rarely ever used Tumblr before, but I might update this every now and then, unlike my other one.

Following you on Tumblr!

I'm not sure about the regular edition either.. I'll check my local comic store and see if they have any.

Thanks, guys!

I actually went to some of my local comic book shops and Barnes & Noble to see if they had any S.H. Figuarts, but they didn't. Heh. Oh, well, I can get them cheaper online, anyway. I have enough Amazon credit to get Sailor Mercury for free, or Sailor Moon for a few bucks.

I could also get the second manga box set for free...or Sailor Moon S for the Super Famicom...or...

MikeMyers

I don't think the boob joke was harmful at all, the anime even makes a few boob jokes as well.

A Wise Man once said: If you ever find yourself having too much drama in your life, quit being dramatic.

I posted that on Tumblr the other day, and now for the last 30 or so minutes, I've been getting notifications like craaazzzzyyyyyy on my phone. Every time I look, there's a few more. Hopefully my phone isn't killed! @_@

Anywayyyyyyy, I finished watching the S dub last night. I thought it was a big improvement overall from the two previous seasons. The voice acting and direction could have been better, but the writing for a lot of the episodes was pretty well done, even if the writers couldn't keep certain terms consistent. There were a handful of episodes with some weird writing, though, but I don't think it quite got to DiC levels.
Maybe if they had more time, and a better dubbing studio, it could have been great. I heard Cartoon Network was rushing the whole thing out. Heh. Anyway, I'll probably start up the SuperS dub some time today.

I also finally started reading the manga yesterday...well over two years after I started buying it. I'm liking it so far. Familiar, yet very different. I've only read the first volume so far. I have up to volume 6. I'll read those soon. I'll probably get the other six volumes through the second box set.

Edit: How about some art?

Image source. And, as I've mentioned before, you can find more in my Minus album.

MikeMyers

1519 notes? DAMN!

Yeah the manga is very different. Its very more focused on the actual storyline as well, but not enough on the character interaction. Cant say which version I prefer.

I like how some of the people think it's some sort of Mario Party clone. If only that were true. Hah.

Yeah, I've heard that about the manga. Hopefully the new anime strikes a good balance with that.

zeopower6

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1370485.html

First edition is available here for 3000yen. They also ship overseas.

I never got around to finishing the Sailor V manga, perhaps I'll do that now...

I've actually read Codename: Sailor V twice! First time was years ago through some old fan translation, second time was recently through the official release.

I still haven't read past volume 1 pf Sailor Moon. Hah.

http://ekizo.mandarake.co.jp/shop/en/item_s-1370485.html

First edition is available here for 3000yen. They also ship overseas.

Thanks a lot, but... I can't use my Amazon credit on that. :(

I don't think that I could bring myself to spend that much actual money on a figure. I stopped buying figures, like...10 years or so ago. They're nice, but I'm more of a video game kinda guy.

With Amazon credit, though, the figure would cost me next to nothing, but I still want to know if I'm getting the right version. I'm still also debating if I should get the rest of the manga or some video games with that credit instead. Heh. I'm kinda indecisive. :(

Edit: Ugh. I bid on a really cheap, complete copy of Sailor Moon R for the Super Famicom on eBay, but I got outbid at very last second! I was the only bidder before that. I placed my bid when there were about 20 seconds left. I thought I won, but then when the counter hit zero, it said that I didn't win. Sigh... :(

I also just tried to bid on the Sailor Moon S fighter for the Super Famicom, and I got outbid by an automatic bid at the last second. This is not my night. Heh.

Top Bottom